Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I've always been a silver person, but maybe there's time for a change. How does the space grey hold up over time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

japtor posted:

Finally have a big iMac rumor:
https://www.macrumors.com/2021/10/19/apple-27-inch-xdr-display-early-2022-rumor/

Tl;dr early 2022 27" mini LED 120Hz (well, variable like the other "ProMotion" displays, 24-120Hz)

This momentarily dulled my 'No M1 Pro Mac Mini' pain until I realised that the cost in $AU will be prohibitive, no doubt. The base M1 Pro MBP with 8 CPU/14 GPU core/16GB RAM starts at $AU2999 and that's using a binned SoC. The 'full-fat' base M1 Pro (10c/16gpu/16GB) is $AU3450.

Current plan is keep my Late 2012 iMac going on OCLP Big Sur (hopefully Monterey) for another 9 - 12 months and re-evaluate. If the system goes tits up in the meantime, I've got the $$$s saved for a decent M1 Mac Mini + peripherals.

C'mon Tim.. Be a dude & M1 Pro Mac Mini me the gently caress up.

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

I was worried when they said SDXC without elaboration since it’s a standard that started in 2010 but it looks like the SD card slot will support UHS-II speeds.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
The next time I lose this thing, I'll just shrug and move on with my life!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yeah but the catch is to try to find a good name brand SD card that's the full speed AND 1 TB..

There's a few no names that offer 300 MB/sec and 1 TB, but Lexar and SanDisk only seem to have 128 GB SDs that go to 300 MB/sec. Prograde and a few other notables have 256 GB / 300 MB/sec..

Well I'm confident the big boys will crank out some high capacity SDs with the max specs now that there's potentially a big market for them..

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm pretty sure there's very good SD cards out there already for the pro video market that you could buy today

Not That Into You
Oct 29, 2007

What is the go-to brand and/or model for thunderbolt dock? There seems to be a million options and wildly different price points.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Not That Into You posted:

What is the go-to brand and/or model for thunderbolt dock? There seems to be a million options and wildly different price points.

caldigit ts3+ seems to be the general consensus

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yeah CalDigit TS3+ is good, you can even use it with older 2013-2015 TB2 machines if you use Apple's TB3 to TB2 adapter.

Depending on where you get it you might have to flash it to the latest firmware if you want to charge a laptop that needs 85W...

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Kreeblah posted:

I think it's until they stop making parts for whatever device it is, yeah.

They also started letting people switch over to an annual plan after their fixed-term plans expire. You can sign up for an annual plan if you do it within 30 days of the end of your fixed-term coverage.

Thanks for the heads up - I just added monthly coverage to my Series 5 Watch that just had its Applecare+ expire.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Brain Issues posted:

Binary Badger posted:

Yeah CalDigit TS3+ is good, you can even use it with older 2013-2015 TB2 machines if you use Apple's TB3 to TB2 adapter.

Depending on where you get it you might have to flash it to the latest firmware if you want to charge a laptop that needs 85W...

For the new M1 Max MBP presumably you would use this to drive 2 external displays and if you needed a third and fourth you'd connect directly to the extra TB3 ports on the MBP?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Xabi posted:

I've always been a silver person, but maybe there's time for a change. How does the space grey hold up over time?

It’s totally fine. Never seen patina or wear on mine.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The only problem with space gray that it isn't dark enough.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Dropping onto concrete will show more on space gray.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Yeah, as far as performance goes the M1 Macbook Air is probably most normal people really need. Hell, if you have electricity around you probably can get away w/ almost any thin and light from the past 5 years bc the only real significant game changer is battery life. Unless, of course, you really need to save 30min on that video you edit once a month.

I want to get into iOS development, but the only thing holding me back on an M1 MBA is... the design language, lol. I really want to see Apple make an arm "design" that'll look relevant for years. If the next MBAs come out and don't do a design refresh I'm gonna feel real dumb, but, yeah, lol. Here we are.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm like, my 2012-spec bought-in-2015 15" is plenty snappy for nearly everything I do (and I'm not a lightweight user), but got drat if I'm not going to agonize over whether to get a Pro or a Max

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Apple Card seems to be offering 6% cashback on Apple Store purchases now. RIP you early preorder people.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

glassyalabolas posted:

Apple Card seems to be offering 6% cashback on Apple Store purchases now. RIP you early preorder people.

Does Apple charge for a product immediately upon preorder or when the product ships?

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

TraderStav posted:

For the new M1 Max MBP presumably you would use this to drive 2 external displays and if you needed a third and fourth you'd connect directly to the extra TB3 ports on the MBP?

that sounds correct to me, however with apples general fuckery regarding external display support, who the hell knows what these things behavior will be once they are in the hand.

I can answer this question once i get my 14" Max/10c cpu/24c gpu/32gb ram/1TB ssd

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 21, 2021

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006

Last Chance posted:

Does Apple charge for a product immediately upon preorder or when the product ships?

Charge when ships. I think some people are seeing it made retro. Check the charge on your app.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Brain Issues posted:

that sounds correct to me, however with apples general fuckery regarding external display support, who the hell knows what these things behavior will be once they are in the hand.

I can answer this question once i get my 14" Max/10c cpu/24c gpu/32gb ram/1TB ssd

:hfive: exact same spec buddy

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Brain Issues posted:

Do any of these Thunderbolt docks support switching between two computers, like a thunderbolt version of a kvm switch? I'm thinking that I'll end up getting a Mac Mini once they refresh it, and it'd be slick to be able to plug in my work laptop and switch between the two at will.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

glassyalabolas posted:

People have reported getting theirs bumped up to the 6%, though mine hasn't (yet).

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Is that a permanent increase?

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006

hatty posted:

Is that a permanent increase?

Holiday Promotion from the looks of it.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Baronash posted:

Do any of these Thunderbolt docks support switching between two computers, like a thunderbolt version of a kvm switch? I'm thinking that I'll end up getting a Mac Mini once they refresh it, and it'd be slick to be able to plug in my work laptop and switch between the two at will.

not that i am aware of, but that sounds awesome.

if you end up finding something that does this please post it, because I also have a mac mini at my desk, and i just run it headless and remote in if i need to do something.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

TraderStav posted:

:hfive: exact same spec buddy

I think that’s the winning combo. I want trip report on these, Ill probably buy in a month or two if they are as good I think they’ll be

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I kinda maybe feel like a dunce because I got 32GB but I was thinking about the VMs I run now that..... won't work on AS.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Not That Into You posted:

I've got a CalDigit TS3+ that I'm thinking of selling.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

glassyalabolas posted:

Charge when ships. I think some people are seeing it made retro. Check the charge on your app.

My app is showing the 3% still. I contacted Apple Card support via the app and they told me to gently caress myself essentially.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006

ddogflex posted:

My app is showing the 3% still. I contacted Apple Card support via the app and they told me to gently caress myself essentially.

Complain to Tim Apple.

But for reals, I think everyone is having trouble verifying that this will be made retro.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Hmmm. I've got a few weeks until mine ships. I guess I can wait a bit and see whether it gets bumped up to 6% on its own.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/10/21/2021-macbook-pro-sd-card-reader-speed/

MacRumors now says Apple has shared new info with them about the SDXC slot on the new mMBPs, it maxes out at 250 MB/sec with USH-II cards, not 312 MB/sec.

Other tidbits:

- External GPUs still not supported

- New mMBPs use the same trackpad as previous models

- Screen brightness is actually 500 nits for SDR content and the advertised 1600 nits for HDR content.

Edit: Stopped by the Fruit Stand at Grand Central Station in NYC and asked if they had any of the new mMBPs on display. An exasperated greeter who must've been asked that question a million times today said 'they were announced only 3 days ago, right?'

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 22, 2021

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Binary Badger posted:

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/10/21/2021-macbook-pro-sd-card-reader-speed/

MacRumors now says Apple has shared new info with them about the SDXC slot on the new mMBPs, it maxes out at 250 MB/sec with USH-II cards, not 312 MB/sec.

Other tidbits:

- External GPUs still not supported

- New mMBPs use the same trackpad as previous models

- Screen brightness is actually 500 nits for SDR content and the advertised 1600 nits for HDR content.

At the rate it's going the Asahi Linux folks will figure out eGPUs before Apple makes support available. I think Apple is really gung ho about proving its mettle before opening the ecosystem.

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 22, 2021

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I’m glad Apple is doing the HDR aware OS thing. Windows isn’t even close right?

Also if it’s ‘mixed’ HDR in MacOS (HDR in one window, SDR in another) does that mean these new MBP panels are being driven at 10bit or more?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Someone would have to write ATI drivers that would work in a M1 system, right? Apple has to have this in place for a future Mac/iMac Pro, right?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Bob Morales posted:

Someone would have to write ATI drivers that would work in a M1 system, right? Apple has to have this in place for a future Mac/iMac Pro, right?

Why? Do you really think it’s gonna be compatible with Radeon cards still?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
M1 macs still support OpenGL right? Like old OpenGL apps don’t necessarily have to be rewritten in metal.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Shaocaholica posted:

M1 macs still support OpenGL right? Like old OpenGL apps don’t necessarily have to be rewritten in metal.

An ancient version with problems that you have to actively work around, and officially labelled deprecated so you never know when you'll learn that next year's MacOS is the end of the line.

Apple does not worry too much about long term software backwards compatibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Shaocaholica posted:

It's a buggy, sluggish OpenGL 4.1 implementation that was behind the times when it was new, stayed in a state of neglect and de facto deprecation long before Apple officially announced it, and seems to break a little more with each new release. Valve's actively funding the Zink wrapper, which wraps around Vulkan (and in macOS's case, the MoltenVK wrapper which itself wraps commands to Metal), so hopefully by the time Apple snuffs out OpenGL on the platform outright there will be options for the jillions of programs still using it.

Apple's doing its own thing GPU-wise. As I said earlier, I expect Asahi Linux and friends will use eGPUs way before Apple decides to relent.