Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008
yeah i know rain causes erosion, im confused about losing all the most useful growing soil in the state

how is that going to happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Yes, it typically takes about three years for enough regrowth to stabilize the soil.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Also drought, fewer planted crops, and just things being way too dry help the soil get blown/washed away.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

SirPablo posted:

Probably. Even in the NH some (~10%) spin anticyclonicly, so probably 10% in the SH spin the correct way.

Eh it's a little more nuanced, anticyclonic tornados aren't made in the same spot in the mesocyclone of the supercell as the strong normal twisties, they are created by the opposite side of the rear flank downdraft surge. They're usually pretty weak and short lived because they don't have a front updraft to power them. Tornadoes are heckling cool rear end weather and scare the absolute poo poo out of me.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Charles Mansion posted:

yeah i know rain causes erosion, im confused about losing all the most useful growing soil in the state

It’s not. The most useful growing soil in the state is not decomposed granite three thousand feet up the east slope of the Sierra Nevadas, formerly covered with pine forest.

Besides, the Gold Rush did worse via hydraulic mining.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Charles Mansion posted:

all the nitrogen rich soil gets washed out or layered ontop of tons of deluge and crap

while the soot from the wildfire gives richer nutrients for regrowth due to zinc, magnesium and iron, it wouldn't be evenly distributed into the soil since it's all tumbling around and can likely just end up deep at the bottom layer and takes a long time for it to settle via physics

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
yeah where is all of the soil supposed to erode to exactly in the central valley

the farm next door?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

oh no not the nitrogen. they will have to spray on a whole new layer of modified cow poo poo

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Asproigerosis posted:

Tornadoes are heckling cool rear end weather and scare the absolute poo poo out of me.

Remember they're more scared of you then you are of them. Just make yourself big, make a lot of noise and they should run away.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
goons serious posting in the weather thread that soil runoff will...just go to another farm....and we can just use...fertilizer to farm dead soil?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

dr_rat posted:

Remember they're more scared of you then you are of them. Just make yourself big, make a lot of noise and they should run away.

thank you. next time i am approached by an ef5 i will remember to stand up straight so as to appear greater than two miles across and stretching up into the tropopause.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
*laughs in cation exchange capacity*

bane mask golem
Sep 16, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Suplex Liberace posted:

goodbye all the most usefull growing soil in california lol

:eng101: agricultural land doesn't burn very well, particularly vineyards. they just don't provide enough dense, dry fuel to really burn like a mountain covered in oaks, or a mcmansion surrounded by eucalyptus. the areas that have been getting hit hardest in california by fire are the forested areas with lots of oak, or areas with lots of wildland-urban interface. when the WIU starts burning, those connecting urban areas get skullfucked.

so, in the very short-term, the areas with the best growing soil just aren't the same areas that are burning. hell, all of those dense trees burning down might even clear more area for ag purposes, making those same areas maybe slightly less fire-prone in the future (as all of the trees and natural biomes get murdered).

looking a little further into the future? lmao, the ruling class will continue to drain the aquifers down to nothing to keep exporting alfalfa and almonds, and those vineyards will become more dry kindling for the firenados. the cops will keep getting more and more heavily armed to break up protests and arrest dissidents. just wait til the water riots start, then poo poo's gonna get real in a hurry.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

A Bakers Cousin posted:

goons serious posting in the weather thread that soil runoff will...just go to another farm....and we can just use...fertilizer to farm dead soil?

yeah it'll probably all just wash into one of the many large central valley rivers running through ag country

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Asproigerosis posted:

Eh it's a little more nuanced, anticyclonic tornados aren't made in the same spot in the mesocyclone of the supercell as the strong normal twisties, they are created by the opposite side of the rear flank downdraft surge. They're usually pretty weak and short lived because they don't have a front updraft to power them. Tornadoes are heckling cool rear end weather and scare the absolute poo poo out of me.

More so splitting supercells generally in a strong speed shear/low directional shear environment, not related to the RFD directly. Definitely usually weak as the left mover is weaker.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Apparently there's an insane wind storm coming to Western Washington this weekend. Regular weather people are like probably nbd but Cliff Mass is all 'strongest cyclone on record!'

https://twitter.com/ScottSeattleWx/status/1451553338714058759?s=20

https://twitter.com/WeatherJefe/status/1451605667844792322?s=20

I know Cliff Mass has been canceled but here's his write up for whoever wants to read it
https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2021/10/the-strongest-storm-in-northwest.html

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

so basically a midlevel tropical storm

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

so basically a midlevel tropical storm

Yeah, but we usually don't get those around here. This just showed up in my inbox and popped up on Alexa at the same time:

National Weather Service posted:

* WHAT...Southeast wind of 40 mph with gusts to 60 mph are
possible.

* WHERE...San Juan County, Western Whatcom County, Western
Skagit County, Admiralty Inlet Area, Western Strait of Juan De
Fuca, North Coast and Central Coast.

* WHEN...From Sunday morning through Monday morning.

* IMPACTS...Damaging winds could blow down trees and power
lines. Widespread power outages are possible. Travel could be
difficult, especially for high profile vehicles.

So basically, everything north of the Seattle metro area is about to have a really bad time.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Bob Socko posted:

Yeah, but we usually don't get those around here. This just showed up in my inbox and popped up on Alexa at the same time:

So basically, everything north of the Seattle metro area is about to have a really bad time.

Not great to have wind storms when all the trees are fully leafed out still

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Not that bad for Oregon

...WIND ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 8 AM SUNDAY TO 5 AM PDT MONDAY...

* WHAT...South winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 40 mph
expected.

* WHERE...In Washington, I-5 Corridor in Cowlitz County and
Greater Vancouver Area. In Oregon, Lower Columbia, Greater
Portland Metro Area, Central Willamette Valley and South
Willamette Valley.

* WHEN...From 8 AM Sunday to 5 AM PDT Monday.

* IMPACTS...Gusty winds could blow around unsecured objects.
Tree limbs could be blown down and a few power outages may
result.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Bob Socko posted:

well on all the weather reports nothing exists north of the border

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

gonna mount a billboard on the Peach Arch that says HERE BE DRAGONS

Bob Socko has issued a correction as of 00:00 on Oct 23, 2021

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
You guys were close but an aussie would be more like 'mate a twisty ate me dippy dog'

E. Whoops that was ages ago

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Alfalfa is way worse water wise and no one cares. It's always almonds that are vilified.

The ecologically sound choice is to not grow as much alfalfa as you can, like Major Major's father.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

You guys were close but an aussie would be more like 'mate a twisty ate me dippy dog'

E. Whoops that was ages ago

I assure you, friend, it was right on time.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Brissy had a twisty yesterday

https://twitter.com/7NewsBrisbane/status/1451358365414617089

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
australian tornadoes are so fukken weak. like a dust devil you'd see on the way to tijuana. same with their earthquakes. they don't even have volcanoes.

the fires are good though

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Akratic Method posted:

The ecologically sound choice is to not grow as much alfalfa as you can, like Major Major's father.

Major Major's father was rightly celebrated as an American hero

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Looks like the storm got worse.

National Weather Service posted:

High Wind Warning
Description

* What, Southeast winds 35 to 45 MPH with Gusts Up to 60 MPH Expected.

* Where, San Juan County, Western Whatcom County, Western Skagit county and Admiralty Inlet Area.

* When, from 8am Sunday to 5am PDT Tuesday.

* Impacts, damaging winds will Blow Down Trees and Power Lines. Widespread Power Outages are Expected. Travel will Be Difficult, Especially for High Profile Vehicles. People Should Avoid Being Outside in Forested Areas and Around Trees and Branches. if Possible, Remain in the Lower Levels Of your Home During the windstorm, and Avoid Windows. Use Caution If you Must Drive.

Expires 10/26/21 5:00 AM US/Pacific
The MPH is only a little worse, but now it’s a two-day event. Ugh.

Edit - cleaned up all the stray Tabs they throw into the text of these things.

Bob Socko has issued a correction as of 16:36 on Oct 23, 2021

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I still can't get over someone saying "a tornayroo!" in sincere gobsmacked awe.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
Don't think my city's ever seen something like this before. We're more used to just burning down
https://twitter.com/sfchronicle/status/1452357099158061058

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
My mom, who's spent 90% of her life in the greater Sacramento area, said she's seen nothing like it before. I think they were about 3.5 inches when I talked to her earlier.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

Don't think my city's ever seen something like this before. We're more used to just burning down

Yeah, it's pretty hairy out there. At least this means we probably won't have a big fire this year, right?

Right?

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/muggiewx/status/1452462050379243530

https://twitter.com/JackSillin/status/1452463625763950601

This looks more like May weather, not late October.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Yeah, it's pretty hairy out there. At least this means we probably won't have a big fire this year, right?

Right?

LOL no.

Early rain means more vegetation growth.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Which means big fires next year. The stuff has to grow and dry out before it can burn.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

San Francisco has already set a rain record today

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Ardeem posted:

Which means big fires next year. The stuff has to grow and dry out before it can burn.

start raking now!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

know what I was watching 60 mins today and they were talking about a drought.. fakenews I guess look at all that rain CA is getting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
that storm is coming my way about wednesday/thursday but fortunately it won't be cold enough for snow. poo poo would probably give us 8-10 inches which would be crippling for KC. last time we got a big snow storm like that power was out for basically the entire city. I got power back after almost a week