Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
If there's one thing I especially don't want in here it's dumb subforum clique poo poo, please don't bring that in here from either end, thanks.

E: top of page phone posting, can someone please spot me a pet tax?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Professor Beetus posted:

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Professor Beetus posted:

If there's one thing I especially don't want in here it's dumb subforum clique poo poo, please don't bring that in here from either end, thanks.

I got you.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

fosborb posted:

More than 20% of Australia's population is under the age of 16. How can you possibly be at 90% with a first dose?

Sorry, I forgot to respond to this. 90% of eligible population, which is 16+.

As of right now, Vic's 12-15 year olds are at about 75% first dose, 35% second dose.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

StrangeThing posted:

gently caress CSPAM. The amount of harmful anti-science bullshit that gets peddled in there is insane, I'm surprised it's even allowed. The fact people were encouraging other to get boosters before it was even confirmed as a good idea is reprehensible.

The "booster bandit" craze especially in Pfizer was kicked off by strong Israeli data and Israeli policy more than anything in CSPAM. A country renowned for its hospitals and vigorous vaccine program (while still actually HAVING covid outbreaks) has a lot more pull than a bunch of goons.

I think if we want to talk about why Israel got to that conclusion faster than the US we can have a real conversation but since they're the size and population of a largish county or smallish state it's probably just they can move fast.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
My partner called that there were going to be boosters in like January, they're not even an epidemiology/vaccine expert

The thing has always been that boosters and mixing vaccines is probably OK but most people with an advanced degree won't make a firm recommendation on a probably without some backup

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
The initial trials were for the fastest thing that could possibly work at all, to get the vaccine to market and help stop every old person in America from dying/take the load off the healthcare system. The potential for boosters and nonsterilizing levels of immunity was always emphasized from the start.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Jaxyon posted:

My partner called that there were going to be boosters in like January, they're not even an epidemiology/vaccine expert

The thing has always been that boosters and mixing vaccines is probably OK but most people with an advanced degree won't make a firm recommendation on a probably without some backup

Oh there were certainly going to be boosters, I mean that part seemed pretty clear. Though in fact technically only the Moderna is a booster, since the Pfizer and J&J doses are the same as the initial dose(s). But coronaviruses change around enough that I always figured there would eventually be a booster to retarget the protection.

Similarly heterologous vaccination has had decent research support for a while. The biggest limitation with the studies have been that generally there aren't lots of different good vaccines for active diseases to do studies on. But the idea has always been fairly well-founded.

The thing to remember here though is that there's a difference between taking a drug combination that's FDA approved, and acting as an unpaid test subject. Getting ahead of the science is dicey, particularly for a layman, and that's before talking about the practical risk that your current or future health insurance company might deny coverage for anything involving a therapy that isn't FDA-approved.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
I mean they'll cover all sorts of insane damage you do to yourself from drug overdose to slow suicide by cheeseburger.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

StrangeThing posted:

Sorry, I forgot to respond to this. 90% of eligible population, which is 16+.

As of right now, Vic's 12-15 year olds are at about 75% first dose, 35% second dose.

I was really alarmed when wrongly interpreting this a while ago because I thought it meant places like e.g. the UK had only hit 67% of eligible population and it meant a solid one third of people there were antivax. But it turns out their eligible population numbers are like 90% vaxxed.

Only counting the eligible population here, and normalising that in the way we discuss numbers, is IMO a bit of sneaky government spin. Reopening at well under 60% of the total population double dosed doesn't sound quite as good.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s rookie-level spin.

Imagine the numbers the U.S. could have posted in January when hardly anyone was eligible for the shot.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

StrangeThing posted:

gently caress CSPAM. The amount of harmful anti-science bullshit that gets peddled in there is insane, I'm surprised it's even allowed. The fact people were encouraging other to get boosters before it was even confirmed as a good idea is reprehensible.

Putting intra-forum drama aside for a moment, just... for the sake of your health, think twice before making personal health choices significantly divergent from CSPAM's understanding of pandemic topics.

CSPAM actually held out for a long while after it became clear internationally that boosters would be necessary, and they nailed the effectiveness falloff characteristic of original and delta covid on the head.

Even after several responsible nation states began booster programs for the elderly after publishing results on effectiveness of original vaccination with varying 2nd jab wait periods and need for boosters, CSPAM advised people not to get a booster for fear of unknown risk vs benefit.

I'm sorry this doesn't fit into your narrative, but CSPAM handled the booster situation responsibly and predicted both the medical and policy outcomes precisely. They got this right, giving proper and responsible advice. You are not able to discard that thread's findings and advice on this basis.

CSPAM effortposters do genuinely know how to (1) accurately parse scientific information and (2) provide responsible practical advise on that information with (3) fastidious attention to risk management.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 21, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
CSPAM got lucky, now shut the gently caress up about CSPAM and stop encouraging cross-forums drama.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Platystemon posted:

It’s rookie-level spin.

Imagine the numbers the U.S. could have posted in January when hardly anyone was eligible for the shot.

Oh we were absolutely bragging about being above 90% based on eligibility (of facilities!) back then

COVID-19 vaccinations have been given at 98% of Iowa's nursing homes after slow start to campaign Jan 27, 2021
https://amp.desmoinesregister.com/amp/4247662001

prescient quote to close out the article:

quote:

"It's a little early to spike the football on vaccinations," Willett said, but he hopes the virus' threat to care facility residents will continue to wane.

e: also, even the running total of "% fully vaccinated" in the US was always fudged a bit, even beyond counting only the eligible in the denominator.

CDC guidelines say you are fully vaccinated at two weeks after the completion of your vaccination schedule, but the CDC dashboards all count fully vaccinated as the moment you received the final shot. This discrepancy is still a footnote in the documentation of the dashboards today

The difference meant that the true % of fully vaxxed eligible people was always 2 weeks into the future, though it didn't stop states immediately triggering actions when thresholds were met. Not that it particularly matters -- many thresholds were casually adjusted or thrown out at the slightest political pressure anyway (see all the eligibility schedule changes in Mar/Apr in light of the unexpectedly low demand for vaccines)

fosborb fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 21, 2021

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/AdrienneLaF/status/1451169947472875524

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
It feels like the reason booster banditing is a dumb idea isn't because it's dangerous or illegal or something, it's because 'boosters' are a real immunological concept that isn't just "more juice = more better".

Like they make childhood immunization schedules so complicated for a reason. You couldn't just "bandit" all the vaccines in one day and get the same effect. There is immune system response reasons why some vaccines are given as 5 shot series over many years and some you get 2 in a short period or 1 ever or 1 a year forever. Like, the spacing of boosters is supposed to have specific immunological effects by giving in specific phases of immune response. Just grabbing "max titers" at some random time might leave someone less protected than someone who actually gets vaccinated correctly. Like you are screwing yourself over just taking random things at a random schedule. It will be years before they actually figure out the exact best time line, but it's probably not "just take more shots 2 months after your first shots because you got scared and went to cvs with a fake name"

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Wait what about triple Pfizer, did I miss something?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Wait what about triple Pfizer, did I miss something?

I was also wondering that:
https://twitter.com/AdrienneLaF/status/1451180927552471045

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It feels like the reason booster banditing is a dumb idea isn't because it's dangerous or illegal or something, it's because 'boosters' are a real immunological concept that isn't just "more juice = more better".

Like they make childhood immunization schedules so complicated for a reason. You couldn't just "bandit" all the vaccines in one day and get the same effect. There is immune system response reasons why some vaccines are given as 5 shot series over many years and some you get 2 in a short period or 1 ever or 1 a year forever. Like, the spacing of boosters is supposed to have specific immunological effects by giving in specific phases of immune response. Just grabbing "max titers" at some random time might leave someone less protected than someone who actually gets vaccinated correctly. Like you are screwing yourself over just taking random things at a random schedule. It will be years before they actually figure out the exact best time line, but it's probably not "just take more shots 2 months after your first shots because you got scared and went to cvs with a fake name"

A) No one is stealing a shot from someone else by getting a booster. This has been true for many many months now. They either get used or flushed down the drain.

B) Israeli data pretty clearly demonstrates the positive impact of their booster program, as does Pfizer’s data.

C) Waiting around for years to find out the optimal booster schedule isn’t exactly the safest option in the midst of a viral pandemic, particularly given Covid’s contagiousness and virulence. But maybe I’m splitting hairs here.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

question:

so given the vaccines are heterologous, does that imply anything about the number of boosters you can take?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Please just stick to the booster schedule approved by the FDA.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Is there a specific lack of confidence in international research on boosters or domestically available research from Pfizer on boozers?

I ask because there appears to be some discussion taking place that seems to deliberately turn a blind eye towards this specific context: discussion talking about the concept of boosters in general rather than specifically grounding the discussion in what is currently known about this specific illness and this specific kinda-schedule-kinda-not-schedule.

How are u posted:

Please just stick to the booster schedule approved by the FDA.

:same:

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 21, 2021

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
My confidence in the FDA and CDC isn't exactly at an all-time high these days.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I can't say I've listened to them much since the start, but the CDC booster schedule is pretty much exactly what I'd recommend based on Israeli antibody level studies and basically just tells me that whatever they chose to go with for their own scheduling confirms all that

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Hadn't Canada been mixing vaccines for quite a while? i recall seeing Canadians on here, and Facebook friends, talking about it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

papa horny michael posted:

Hadn't Canada been mixing vaccines for quite a while? i recall seeing Canadians on here, and Facebook friends, talking about it.

They did for awhile but I think it was out of necessity rather than any theory that it was a superior approach

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Epic High Five posted:

They did for awhile but I think it was out of necessity rather than any theory that it was a superior approach

That was my interpretation as well.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

It's still happening IIRC. Pfizer and Moderna have been considered entirely interchangeable for months here.

The mixing seems to be at least as good as two of the same shots, but the extended shot schedule we used out of necessity does seem to have some early signs of being a bit more effective than the 3-4 week standard one.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like they make childhood immunization schedules so complicated for a reason. You couldn't just "bandit" all the vaccines in one day and get the same effect. There is immune system response reasons why some vaccines are given as 5 shot series over many years and some you get 2 in a short period or 1 ever or 1 a year forever. Like, the spacing of boosters is supposed to have specific immunological effects by giving in specific phases of immune response.

They are not complicated for the reason you think they are. Fundamentally, a vaccine’s schedule is what it is because that is the schedule under which the vaccine was trialled. All else equal, matching the trial conditions is your best shot at matching trial results, but the trials’s schedule can itself be more or less arbitrary. The investigators didn’t do a tool-assisted speedrun with a time machine to determine the frame-perfect timing of each shot. They made educated guesses, may have hedged those guesses by having multiple cohorts and dosing them at different times, and adjusted on the fly by looking at serology and interim efficacy data.

If SARS-CoV-2 were a garden-variety virus and not the cause of the worst pandemic since viruses were first seen under a microscope, there is every reason to believe that Comirnaty and Spikevax would have been trialled and approved as three-shot series. The investigators would have seen antibody concentration declining a few months after the second shot, correlated with a drop in their primary outcome measure of efficacy against symptomatic disease, and promptly amended the trial to include a third shot.

We may be settling for protection from hospitalization and “severe” disease now, but the trials were always primarily looking at symptoms, because many more people get sick than end up in the hospital and it’s therefore a much stronger statistical signal. That was the case in the real Comirnaty/Spikevax trials, and it would be even more so in the hypothetical where SARS-CoV-2 was not causing a pandemic.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It's still happening IIRC. Pfizer and Moderna have been considered entirely interchangeable for months here.

The mixing seems to be at least as good as two of the same shots, but the extended shot schedule we used out of necessity does seem to have some early signs of being a bit more effective than the 3-4 week standard one.

Yeah it's gonna be pretty darkly funny if the data ends up showing that extended scheduling and shot mixing provides the best protection, considering it was only ever deployed in places where it was literally the only possible option due to supply constraints and uncertainty. Will probably be years before we have anything conclusive on it tho

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
As someone who got the J&J one-and-done have they discussed what the booster schedule might look like for that?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

As someone who got the J&J one-and-done have they discussed what the booster schedule might look like for that?

Just get a Moderna booster assuming you didn't literally just get it within the last month.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah they're recommending a booster for all over-18s two months after your first J&J shot. MRNA vaccines are also being particularly pushed for J&J recipients, and that's been the focus for the mix-and-match studies.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Gio posted:

A) No one is stealing a shot from someone else by getting a booster. This has been true for many many months now. They either get used or flushed down the drain.

Yeah man, that is what I'm saying. Bill gates isn't making you wait to get boosters because he wants to drink it all himself or conserve the precious fluids so you don't steal it. Booster schedules are a real thing. If you shot your kid with 25 diphtheria shots in a week he is less protected than the kid that gets 5 over several years. You aren't cheating the system to by getting a bunch of off schedule boosters.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Worth remembering that the US booster schedule of getting one 6 months after the 2nd jab got released around 8 months after the first round of people received their 2nd jab.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
So does this rec mean that local pharmacies or whatever will let my wife get a Moderna/Pfizer booster for her J&J shot since it was over 6 months ago? Even though she isn't a high risk category and is 36 years old?

But I got Pfizer 6 months ago and am low risk 36 years old so I can't get a booster yet right?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Chin Strap posted:

But I got Pfizer 6 months ago and am low risk 36 years old so I can't get a booster yet right?

You can't, but John or Jane Smith, an unemployed, uninsured person who left their ID at home today can go get a shot right now.

Phigs posted:

Worth remembering that the US booster schedule of getting one 6 months after the 2nd jab got released around 8 months after the first round of people received their 2nd jab.

Yeah, another reason why no one should feel bad about booster banditing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah man, that is what I'm saying. Bill gates isn't making you wait to get boosters because he wants to drink it all himself or conserve the precious fluids so you don't steal it. Booster schedules are a real thing. If you shot your kid with 25 diphtheria shots in a week he is less protected than the kid that gets 5 over several years. You aren't cheating the system to by getting a bunch of off schedule boosters.

Okay, yes, Booster schedules are a real thing. Set by Pediatricians and Physicians in coordination with the FDA and CDC. Not some guys plotting on a comedy forum. And while there are likely boosters coming and seem to be helping, I don't think its our place to make those schedules.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Booster banditry is the obvious outcome when health agencies that are less politicized than ours are releasing study after study about waning immunity and starting to boost their own populations.

It's also the obvious outcome from liberal media gaslighting us that the main point of the vaccine is preventing deaths, not infection, when we're witnessing people's hearts and brains get permanently damaged from mild covid infections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Phigs posted:

Why is this worth remembering? What is it that you are interpreting from this timeline of events?