Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Wasn’t there some Raw match where 3-4 people got hurt due to botched dives? I think Miz was involved.

Is that the one where Wade Barrett's elbow exploded when he hit the ground and he knew it immediately, angrily slamming his other hand on the mat knowing he was hosed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Ganso Bomb posted:

Is that the one where Wade Barrett's elbow exploded when he hit the ground and he knew it immediately, angrily slamming his other hand on the mat knowing he was hosed?

That was a RAW battle royal, Wade got tossed out, R-Truth right afterwards so they could catch Dolph when Show would toss him - but Dolph and Show overshot the toss by like half a foot and Wade put his arm up straight to catch Dolph, because Dolph would have been out of control otherwise - and his arm was between Dolph and the edge of the announce table on impact. :gonk:

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

The Cameo posted:

That was a RAW battle royal, Wade got tossed out, R-Truth right afterwards so they could catch Dolph when Show would toss him - but Dolph and Show overshot the toss by like half a foot and Wade put his arm up straight to catch Dolph, because Dolph would have been out of control otherwise - and his arm was between Dolph and the edge of the announce table on impact. :gonk:

Was that the one where they kept throwing a few more people out on that side even though he was hurt and it was a cluster because god forbid someone strays from the script and picks another goddamn side of the ring?

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
What was the first shoot interview that was actually produced and sold as its own thing?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Pretty sure that’s the follow up, yeah - people keep landing a few feet away as EMTs are trying to get in and get him out.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Low Desert Punk posted:

What was the first shoot interview that was actually produced and sold as its own thing?

Eddie Gilbert in 1993. The youtube upload says 94 but I've seen 93 in more places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJQB8t4ufXg

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Are there any other examples you can think of where wrestlers were yelled at for putting on a match that was too good?

I got Billy Kidman/Mikey Whipwreck and Melina vs. Michelle McCool. But surely there are others, it's a petty business.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Kenny Omega said after one of his Okada matches people were deathly silent backstage and he was worried he'd gone too long or something.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Why was Hulk/Flair considered such a flop when Flair jumped ship to the extent that the whole angle was scrapped?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Seams posted:

Why was Hulk/Flair considered such a flop when Flair jumped ship to the extent that the whole angle was scrapped?

The angle wasn't really scrapped. They did two sets of house shows, the first one did really well, the second loop didn't do as well. Hogan/Flair by reporting at the time was not actually the Mania match, which makes sense since they had already done it for lots of house shows and Sid had been promised Hogan at Mania 8 if he got out of his WCW deal.

But them loving up the portrayal of Flair by not wanting to make him out to be a legitimate outside world champion definitely hurt things. Vince doesn't want non WWE things to be equal!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

The angle wasn't really scrapped. They did two sets of house shows, the first one did really well, the second loop didn't do as well. Hogan/Flair by reporting at the time was not actually the Mania match, which makes sense since they had already done it for lots of house shows and Sid had been promised Hogan at Mania 8 if he got out of his WCW deal.

But them loving up the portrayal of Flair by not wanting to make him out to be a legitimate outside world champion definitely hurt things. Vince doesn't want non WWE things to be equal!

It's super funny that WCW managed to do Hogan/Flair better than WWE and actually got a PPV buy rate....but also ended up doing the angle completely wrong in a different way

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How much of it came down to "That doesn't work for me, brother?"

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is Braun Strrowman's Champion of Islam belt back up for grabs or does he hold that title forever

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is Braun Strrowman's Champion of Islam belt back up for grabs or does he hold that title forever

I serioulsy think they don't know it exists anymore. I'd be shocked if it ever sees the light of day again.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I have no interest in watching the blood money PPV, but what did the women's gear look like? I'm mildly curious how much local laws made them cover up.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

sticklefifer posted:

I have no interest in watching the blood money PPV, but what did the women's gear look like? I'm mildly curious how much local laws made them cover up.

They wear comically oversized t-shirts over full body suits

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What's the song that plays whenever Kazuki Hirata does his dance routine? (The "TOKYOOOOOOO" one)

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
That's Tokyo Go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53yj4hU56NA

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I swear I have an intense sense memory of Magnum Tokyo using that at least once during his WCW run too, but youtube does not seem to corroborate it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
He used it in Toryumon.

https://streamable.com/w6e1h

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Let's do lineal champions for all of the Blood Money Trinkets:

04/27/2018 - Greatest Royal Rumble Belt - won by Braun Strowman
07/15/2018 - Kevin Owens d. Braun Strowman (Extreme Rules 2018)
07/28/2018 - Bray Wyatt d. Kevin Owens (house show)
09/01/2018 - Bobby Roode d. Bray Wyatt (house show)
10/01/2018 - Konnor d. Bobby Roode (Raw)
[Konnor has like two singles matches in the next two years, so he holds onto the belt for a very long time]
03/26/2021 - MDK d. Big Kon (PPW Slamfest)

MDK most recently successfully defended the belt in June against the former Erik Rowan.

11/02/2018 - Crown Jewel - Shane McMahon wins the World Cup
08/11/2019 - Kevin Owens d. Shane McMahon (Summerslam 2019)
08/13/2019 - Samoa Joe d. Kevin Owens (Smackdown)
08/17/2019 - Kevin Owens d. Samoa Joe (house show)
08/20/2019 - Elias d. Kevin Owens (Smackdown)
10/26/2020 - Keith Lee d. Elias (Raw)
11/02/2020 - Braun Strowman d. Keith Lee and Sheamus (Raw)
02/22/2021 - Bobby Lashley d. Braun Strowman (Raw)
05/17/2021 - Kofi Kingston d. Bobby Lashley (Raw)
05/31/2021 - Drew McIntyre d. Kofi Kingston (Raw)
06/20/2021 - Bobby Lashley d. Drew McIntyre (Hell in a Cell)
07/06/2021 - Xavier Woods d. Bobby Lashley (Raw)
08/22/2021 - Bobby Lashley d. Xavier Woods (house show)
09/13/2021 - Big E d. Bobby Lashley (Raw)
09/18/2021 - Roman Reigns d. Big E and Bobby Lashley (house show)

10/31/2019 - Good Brothers win the Tag Team Turmoil World Cup
11/14/2019 - Hawkins & Ryder d. Good Brothers (house show)
11/15/2019 - Street Profits d. Hawkins & Ryder (house show)
11/29/2019 - Viking Raiders d. Street Profits (Raw)
01/20/2020 - Seth Rollins & Buddy Murphy d. Viking Raiders (Raw
03/02/2020 - Street Profits d. Seth Rollins & Buddy Murphy (Raw)
04/27/2020 - Viking Raiders d. Street Profits (Raw)
06/08/2020 - Bobby Lashley & MVP d. Street Profits (Raw)
06/15/2020 - Drew McIntyre & R-Truth d. Bobby Lashley & MVP (Raw)

The team of Drew McIntyre & R-Truth have not competed since June 2020.

2/27/2020 - The Undertaker wins the Tuwaiq Mountain Trophy.

Undertaker defended the Tuwaiq Mountain Trophy in THE BONEYARD and retired. I have not yet played the New Day Netflix Halloween movie, but it's possible that it's possible win all of these prestigious items if you make the right choices in the game.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Edge & Christian posted:

10/01/2018 - Konnor d. Bobby Roode (Raw)

man, what? Was this part of an angle? How did this make TV?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Have any decent high profile lineal belts been retired because the defending champ also had to retire? I love lineal championships even though they're "made up."

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

wow, uh, Shane really, uh, hit the gym, didn't he

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Deathlove posted:

wow, uh, Shane really, uh, hit the gym, didn't he

He's certainly been hitting something.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Have any decent high profile lineal belts been retired because the defending champ also had to retire? I love lineal championships even though they're "made up."

I remember the WWF Lineal Championship being vacated a couple of times due to the Ultimate Warrior and 2011 Edge having it.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

He's certainly been hitting something.

you wanna talk about moving the needle.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That trophy was to make up for years of low-effort birthday tweets.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

D.N. Nation posted:

man, what? Was this part of an angle? How did this make TV?
Bobby Roode and Chad Gable were a tag team for awhile and actually tag team champions after this, but initially it was two classic tropes of modern WWE booking

1) Two people start tagging and for some reason suddenly Chad Gable is dressing like Bobby Roode and doing glorious robe entrances. I don't think it was ever super clear if Gable was mocking Roode, Roode was trying to force Gable into being just like him, or if it was an idea someone had ten minutes to air and they did it until they forgot to keep doing it.
2) Tag partner continually loving up and costing their partner a match

quote:

Roode gets fired up. Gable gets on the steps, and Viktor shoves him off. Roode clotheslines Viktor on the apron. Konnor attacks Roode from behind and hits a Dominator for the win.

Remarkably they never even did the meaningless blow-off break-up feud, they just split them in a draft.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Edge & Christian posted:

2/27/2020 - The Undertaker wins the Tuwaiq Mountain Trophy.

Undertaker defended the Tuwaiq Mountain Trophy in THE BONEYARD and retired. I have not yet played the New Day Netflix Halloween movie, but it's possible that it's possible win all of these prestigious items if you make the right choices in the game.

I think it's cool that they brought back the Aggro Crag just for Taker.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I think it's cool that they brought back the Aggro Crag just for Taker.

Taker should use it as the new urn.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
How the hell did AJ Styles manage to bypass all the usual bullshit to actually be pushed as a main eventer and get the belt a few times?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

How the hell did AJ Styles manage to bypass all the usual bullshit to actually be pushed as a main eventer and get the belt a few times?

I don't know the real answer but my funniest guess is that Vince wanted to poo poo on TNA without giving them any attention, as a big gently caress you.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

In 2015 NJPW was starting to look like actual potential competition (doing more English language commentary shows, getting WK on PPV in the US, getting a show on AXS) as well as just being really hot in Japan, so WWE made a play for just about anyone at the top of the card, it's just that AJ and Nakamura were the two they actually got.

That probably gave him (and Gallows/Anderson) enough leverage to skip NXT and go straight to Raw. From there he managed to get over enough with the audience (and I believe a lot of the established main eventers liked working with him) that he managed to get into top card feuds before Vince got bored with his new toy.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I believe Jericho and Cena in particular like working him

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

For a while there Vince would have someone in a two-week push go against AJ Styles in a gatekeeper role, but then Vince would remember he liked Styles more and have him go over, thus ending the two-week push.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

why's it called gatekeeper when it's expected that everyone will be let in. should be gate dumbass, gatefucker, etc.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Also Styles during that run was never really pushed as the guy, much like CM Punk wasn't during his reign. He was very much meant to be more of a placeholder guy while they tried to get Roman over as the guy on Raw.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Isn't Styles somewhere around Jericho levels of safe to work with? They trusted Jericho with that top rope moonsault counter years ago with... Tyson Kidd or Gabriel?

Except for that time someone in Japan took his finisher the wrong way but that wasn't really Styles' fault besides having a move that is the opposite of your instincts to take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quid
Jul 19, 2006

Cavauro posted:

why's it called gatekeeper when it's expected that everyone will be let in. should be gate dumbass, gatefucker, etc.
The gate community?