Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

ah, a poster with dignity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Finished my second Normal run tonight. I got it at 5:01 39%. I spent an hour lost in the same part that I did the first time. I don't know how I'm supposed to avoid that, but I'm directionally challenged irl. So getting lost is almost unavoidable for me. I just have no clue where to go at that specific part. But if it wasn't for that, I would have had a sub 4 in my second play through.

What I'm saying is this is the best Metroid.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
smh Samus is getting hunted by some Bionicles

homegirl can't even beat up some legos

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
game owned, all the bosses kinda sucked except for the zany intended sequence break quick kills

raven beak was okay but lord almighty gently caress off six chozo power ranger unit squad

game also would have been dramatically improved by the shinespark button being attached to something that wasn't loving jump

just put it on the aeon button

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Been seeing some crazy things. Samus’ movement is so fluid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcAgz4nSgF0

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I was watching Samura1Mans world record (I think it's been beaten) run today. Like goddamn there is so much cool stuff on this game. I don't know that I've followed a speed run scene like this one before but it's been really fun watching all the new sequence breaks and stuff getting discovered.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

I’m trying to imagine the speedrunner gameplay in the perspective of someone unfamiliar with Metroid. There is nothing like 2D Metroid.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Any projectiles can, including lasers.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I think someone in the thread mentioned how they wish Dread would have Resident Evil style unlockables, and I totally agree.

Frankly, any short arcadey game should have that.

Dread is good, but I doubt I want to go back to it to unlock some images. On the other hand, some silly unlocks like different costumes or cheats would be fun to play around with. I doubt it takes that long to implement, and it's a shame that barely any games have those things aside from aforementioned RE and, like, Platinum Games' titles.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

theres a game on steam called A Robot Named Fight that is basically metroid + binding of isaac with really nice classic pixel art. if you're looking for a metroid with a ton of content, that game has loads. the controls are also really tight.

edit:i should clarify that the isaac like elements are unlockable items, biomes, and new enemies, not in terms of really lovely poop humour.

each run is a big open map but its sequenced like metroid by you needing to get certain items and abilities to go to those areas. but theres a ton of abilities and items, so each run is different. some runs you might need double jump, the metroid rolling ball, and a lightning gun that shoots through walls to hit switches, but on others you might need airdash, a glowing bodysuit, triple jump, and the ability to turn into a tiny spider robot.

its very fun and kind of a hidden gem because there's an insane amount of content in it now. the art and music are really great, i think it just got overlooked because it came out at the exact same time as dead cells.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 21, 2021

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
So far my favorite route is

Vanilla till Varia, skip Kraid for early Grapple and Bombs, get Flash Shift, pseudo wave to Speed Booster, Quiet Robe, pseudo wave to skip Drogyga, Super Missiles, Plasma Beam, Ice Missiles, Spin Boost, Space Jump, Diffusion Beam, Screw Attack, Gravity Suit, Storm Missiles, Wave Beam, Cross Bombs, Power Bombs, End, assuming I didn't forget something in my summary

and the fact that I can go out of order that much and skip three full bosses plus trivialize a fourth with Screw Attack early and there's still more stuff to try is why I'm in love with Dread.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

I was watching Samura1Mans world record (I think it's been beaten) run today. Like goddamn there is so much cool stuff on this game. I don't know that I've followed a speed run scene like this one before but it's been really fun watching all the new sequence breaks and stuff getting discovered.

The any% speedrun gets basically everything early and already skips some bosses. I happened to catch Mr. Shasta do a full run and get a really good time, it was crazy how many things they've already discovered.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Yeah every time I watch a run, the route is different.

I do like that Samura1Man gets the space jump in his current WR though. It just doesn't feel like Metroid when you don't have the space jump.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Oct 21, 2021

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Yeah Imma just clip through the floor lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM4tXy50i8M

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
biggest thing missing out is there is no animals to save

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Stink Terios posted:

Yeah Imma just clip through the floor lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM4tXy50i8M

Ok what the gently caress

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gamerofthegame posted:

No but there's plenty to kill. :blastu:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Gamerofthegame posted:

Still missing my high-jump boots, drat it :mad:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Vookatos posted:

I think someone in the thread mentioned how they wish Dread would have Resident Evil style unlockables, and I totally agree.

That’d be a fun feature, even if it was just stuff like costumes or galleries. Like, the Fusion Suit or Classic Power Suit would be cool unlockables.

Gamerofthegame posted:

game also would have been dramatically improved by the shinespark button being attached to something that wasn't loving jump

that wouldn’t work because there are moments where you would want to use the aeon dash while storing a shinespark

Augus fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 21, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Augus posted:

That’d be a fun feature, even if it was just stuff like costumes or galleries. Like, the Fusion Suit or Classic Power Suit would be cool unlockables.

Bring back big head mode in every game.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I think I need to really like plan out a speedrun of this game because I keep getting distracted or not knowing precisely where to go next once I unlock abilities

"oh this shinespark puzzle will take two seconds"

"it's a ten missile upgrade so I'll spend a second on it"

suppose it's only natural to want to explore stuff in the action-search game

Feel like I'm 2/3 of the way through the Hard mode run and the bosses aren't as bad as I thought they would be- yeah they hit even more like trucks on Hard but they don't seem to have gone nuts increasing their HP and all of the attacks were really designed to be avoidable which I kinda already learned on Normal. I have been surprised a few times by how much damage the normal enemies roaming around the map do on Hard though.

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 21, 2021

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Yeah, I love that about the game. Hard mode is a challenge, sure, but the bosses are set up in a way that rewards practice, even from normal mode. Most deaths will come from rushing or forgetting something, not because the strategies are too difficult.

I wanna do a "break the game open" run, getting as many early upgrades as possible. Anyone have a good route? I know some of them conflict, but I guess Gravity Suit early can be sacrificed if necessary, since I've done that on every playthrough. I definitely want to try out Space Jump -> Screw Attack early. Thinking about Cross Bombs early too, just cause it eould be a challenge.

Hat-lock
Jan 5, 2007

Gamerofthegame posted:

Finally, someone is talking about the real issues! (honestly, maybe it's better they're not on ZDR...)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Wouldn’t the X have already sorted that out? :smith:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Speaking of which those ships at the end that left are definitely Chozo X and not uninfected Chozo right?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Wouldn’t the X have already sorted that out? :smith:

They didn't in Fusion. I'm not sure if the implication was they were immune, or just lucky.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Oxyclean posted:

They didn't in Fusion. I'm not sure if the implication was they were immune, or just lucky.

They're locked in the small habitat and can't get out until Samus unlocks it. The X can't get in there. Similar to how disengaging other security locks in other areas causes the X to spread. Of course, they still have to make the run from the habitat to the Samus's ship, which seems pretty lucky. But they can also shinespark so they can really hoof it and go invincible, presumably.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I think their habitat was secure from the X, and then they're intelligent enough to do some shinespark tricks to the docking bay and get on a ship.

e:f,b

Gruckles fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 21, 2021

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I thought I remember Adam expressing some surprise they were uninfected.

But the security locks aspect of fusion was always sort of amusing given the X's seeming ability to fly through walls/doors otherwise. I guess Samus' ship being sealed/safe isn't unreasonable, but it does bring the question that is it possible to make suits that are X resistant?

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Final boss question: Does shinespark do damage to him on his 2nd phase? I couldn’t tell if it was or not. I don’t think there’s enough room to try it in his third phase, and I doubt it works for the first phase.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

FAT BATMAN posted:

Final boss question: Does shinespark do damage to him on his 2nd phase? I couldn’t tell if it was or not. I don’t think there’s enough room to try it in his third phase, and I doubt it works for the first phase.

Doesn't work in any part of the fight.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Gamerofthegame posted:

game owned, all the bosses kinda sucked except for the zany intended sequence break quick kills

raven beak was okay but lord almighty gently caress off six chozo power ranger unit squad

IMO all the bosses were good except for the chozo soldiers and robots being repeat minibosses

did those feel kinda like "poo poo, we ran out of dev time, add some padding for the clock" to anyone else?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

IMO all the bosses were good except for the chozo soldiers and robots being repeat minibosses

did those feel kinda like "poo poo, we ran out of dev time, add some padding for the clock" to anyone else?

Eh, each one was an escalation of the previous one that it didn't feel that bad to me.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Araxxor posted:

Doesn't work in any part of the fight.

It may not damage him, but it can be used to dodge chaingun if you don't have spacejump.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

It may not damage him, but it can be used to dodge chaingun if you don't have spacejump.

I think I ascended to another plane of existence when I saw a clip of someone here doing using that strat during a 0% no space jump clear.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

RBA Starblade posted:

Speaking of which those ships at the end that left are definitely Chozo X and not uninfected Chozo right?

One of the art pieces at the end strongly suggests everyone was infected, minus Raven Beak and uhhh Quiet Robe or whatever his name was

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SettingSun posted:

I think I ascended to another plane of existence when I saw a clip of someone here doing using that strat during a 0% no space jump clear.

It's a loving novel strategy. I'm all about it.

I bet they patch out that glitch through the floor trick, though.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Ciaphas posted:

I thought the chozo soldiers were super fun actually, it felt very satisfying to zip zap around to try and get an advantage in the terrain and since there was no set way to defeat them I played around with different strategies and practiced the skills I was having trouble with.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Zero mission has some absolutely evil puzzles, like this secret one on the right side of Ridley’s area:

https://youtu.be/LN4Cky9pTEg

Starts at 4:20 (maaaaaan) in case it doesn’t automatically start there. gently caress that crumbling maze thing and the other shinespark puzzle right above it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

At least one of the articles about the work conditions during Dread mentions they had twice as many bosses and cinematics planned as made it into the final game. The cuts were because they weren't meeting deadlines in 2019 and 2020.