Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

HootTheOwl posted:

Yeah it was in futurama.

The talking heads or the metaverse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
pointing stupid YA authors towards SCP wiki is cruel

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
also this would be funny if true:

https://twitter.com/Abstruse/status/1450674849299550210

Amazon to rebrand as Aztechnology

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The rebranding name doesn't matter, the point is to combine everything into one service to fight back against regulators trying to split off Insta and Whatsapp into separate companies.

He's been open about working on this for years and with one simple goal: protect the monopoly.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Goa Tse-tung posted:

can't wait to engage with HoWork

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

:shepface:

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

CodfishCartographer posted:

This was advertising its on the Solana chain and thus not environmentally damaging, and I've seen other NFTs advertising the same. I've tried go ogling to see if this is actually true and only get very questionable sources that all seem very biased (reddit, crypto websites, etc). Anyone ha e any info on if this is ACTUALLY not burning down rainforests?

so from what I understand there's basically two types of blockchains: one requires proof-of-work, ie solving a hard problem, ie burning down a rainforest. the other is proof-of-stake, where people put up a chunk of their tokens as "collateral" effectively when they add a new entry to the ledger, and if the rest of the people writing to that ledger don't agree, they lose their stake. it's vulnerable to 51% attacks but so is proof-of-work, and it requires basically as much energy as any other database. my understanding is that a single Sick Gamer Rig uses more power than an entire proof-of-stake network, but idk

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

more falafel please posted:

so from what I understand there's basically two types of blockchains: one requires proof-of-work, ie solving a hard problem, ie burning down a rainforest. the other is proof-of-stake, where people put up a chunk of their tokens as "collateral" effectively when they add a new entry to the ledger, and if the rest of the people writing to that ledger don't agree, they lose their stake. it's vulnerable to 51% attacks but so is proof-of-work, and it requires basically as much energy as any other database. my understanding is that a single Sick Gamer Rig uses more power than an entire proof-of-stake network, but idk

so they invented central banks to fix their decentralized currency. genius

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/eldahshan/status/1450936770586202114

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

i'm willing to donate my body to science to perform any procedure that promises to give my body an absolutely massive dick

So you want to be conjoined with Cheney to pump blood for him?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Rutibex posted:

yeah kinda. but I guess I care a lot less about idiots trading jpegs if the environmental impact is less than idiots trading funko pops. still not gonna be anything I bother with

Jocoserious
Jun 9, 2014

LOOK OVER HERE!!
https://twitter.com/rebexxxxa/status/1450495532942741504

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rutibex posted:

Whatever, they’re both effectively just as plutocratic.

Either they get to do double-spend attacks because they have more wealth in the form of tokens, or they get to do double-spend attacks because they have more real money to spend on computing hardware and electricity.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Hey hey its the Monkees

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

they held it in customs to inspect it, which is something that can happen to everything from tires to PlayStations. they didn’t arrest it. of course that’s not as fun as stupid middle easterners not understanding the concept of robots and being easily fooled into believing they are people.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

mawarannahr posted:

of course that’s not as fun as stupid middle easterners not understanding the concept of robots and being easily fooled into believing they are people.

:thunk:

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

lol

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Rutibex posted:

It's a funny kinda thing because it's still decentralized by design but of course anyone can see that anyone who owns even close to 50% of the coin can basically just decide arbitrarily what happens by throwing their weight around. And the answer to that criticism is of course "well if someone owns half the coins obviously they wouldn't want people to lose trust in the coin!" So yeah, central banking.

To give you an idea of how things are going though, the above isn't even the main criticism of Proof of Stake. The main criticism is that if it doesn't have massively-ramping operational costs, then there's nothing driving currency deflation, so how can I be sure my number will go up?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/MachinePix/status/893598093882544128

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

Climate Change status: Solved.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

AbysmalPeptoBismol posted:

Climate Change status: Solved.

We don't need research for climate change, we know how to solve that problem.

We do need research for humanity's eventual evolution into crabs.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

the liberal solution to the crab bucket mentality

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

is this going to be the new shrimp treadmill video that rand paul rants about for months as why we need to cut science funding

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

Shear Modulus posted:

is this going to be the new shrimp treadmill video that rand paul rants about for months as why we need to cut science funding
the shrimp treadmill is any treadmill rand paul owns or is on

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

is it cyberpunk dystopia that I find the right thing on youtube by just searching for the word "do" repeating several times

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

this is loving awesome tho i'm sad crab cannot flee away from the scary big warm thing like its trying :(

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
In the future everyone will just use trained, cybernetically enhanced crabs to control computers instead of mice

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Crab hand-implants

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Oh, you complain about this, yet I bet most of you said we needed more cancer research. :colbert:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Screaming Idiot posted:

Oh, you complain about this, yet I bet most of you said we needed more cancer research. :colbert:

lol

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Screaming Idiot posted:

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Screaming Idiot posted:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Crab hand-implants

carcinization is the true end form of evolution

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

carcinization is the true end form of evolution

when you get the urge to clik-clak a pair of tongs that's just the carcinzation urge in ur DNA rearing up

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
big dog looks like poo poo because it’s actually a smokescreen for the real robot supersoldiers, crab walkers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Crab hand-implants

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqM9eLrup3g