Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

spacetoaster posted:

Engineers man. Engineers.

Some souless goul in the government says: "Hey, can we make an autonomous robot that kills people?"

And then the engineers are like: "Oooh! A problem to solve!"

I have a Comp Sci degree and wouldn't call myself an engineer, but I had to do a pretty long personality test thing once as part of a job interview process, like interpreted by a consultant and such. In the meeting about my results he remarked about my ability to consider a problem both at a high level view and a detail view. According to him, this is not very common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Forseti posted:

I have a Comp Sci degree and wouldn't call myself an engineer, but I had to do a pretty long personality test thing once as part of a job interview process, like interpreted by a consultant and such. In the meeting about my results he remarked about my ability to consider a problem both at a high level view and a detail view. According to him, this is not very common.

did it DQ you from the job

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

spacetoaster posted:

So I kinda keep an eye on AI killing machines because they scare me. And this company makes a few that are currently being used to kill people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bj8kZ8_Ne4

So I was wondering when we'll see these types of machines deployed in the US. I figured they'll probably start out non-lethal, and then expand from there as it becomes more normalized.

Welp.

https://www.theverge.com/2015/8/26/9211165/north-dakota-armed-drones-tasers

North Dakota has legalized the use of drones shooting tasers and spraying tear gas.

I predicted a few years back we'd have armed drones in US within a couple decades which really should be the free space on cyberpunk bingo

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Man, you just reminded me that I really loved Dairy Queen's Hawaiian flame burger from back in the day.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

Man, you just reminded me that I really loved Dairy Queen's Hawaiian flame burger from back in the day.

joe, is that you?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I wish I could build an evangelion but have it be used for peaceful, civilian giant roboting instead of murder. - the heart of all true engineers

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

good place 4 u know wat

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
honestly this was already explained by hideo kojima in metal gear solid. the scientists make the nuclear drone or whatever because they want it to be peaceful and shoot peace all over. terrorists or the government make it be used for bad. simple. just explain this to the scientists and they'll join your NGO

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Epic High Five posted:

I did not get the job :lol:. This was for UVA writing software for the medical school. But to be fair, I have a whole host of personality traits and personal beliefs that employers don't like.

It was a pretty conservative work environment and I think they were more concerned that I wouldn't be there for long, but it could have been a lot of things really.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Thanatosian posted:

I just do not loving understand how the people who work on this poo poo sleep at night.

the most realistic thing in the star wars extended universe was that the scientists and engineers that made the death star thought it was being used for mining

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

duz posted:

the most realistic thing in the star wars extended universe was that the scientists and engineers that made the death star thought it was being used for mining

I cannot imagine the people building autonomous murder bots don't know what they're making.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Thanatosian posted:

I cannot imagine the people building autonomous murder bots don't know what they're making.

I'm sure I saw a mini-doc a couple of years back where all the MIT grads when asked went cloudy-eyed and repeated near-verbatim "These modular accessory platforms are designed purely for freedom-oriented search and rescue missions as assured to us by Colonels Butcher, Gore and Killmonger to a sufficiently conscience-clearing threshold."

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

The US is gonna have open borders with the catch that you have to play Red Light Green Light to get in.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Thanatosian posted:

Denial is extremely powerful. It's very easy to accept something that's telling you want to hear as true and not ever consider it again, especially if everyone else in your bubble is also in on the facade.

Hell, I've even noticed trivial things that don't upend my world but were so inconsequential I never reconsidered the explanations I was given as a child for a long time. For example, I thought (although not actively) for WAY longer than I should have that you could tell the gender of an animal by looking at its eyes :lmao:. Like into my mid-teens probably.

To add to what I said in previous posts, another thing that apparently makes me somewhat exception in the field, my CS degree included a course on ethics taught by the CS department itself and specifically geared towards teaching us how to recognize an ethical issue and blow the whistle on it. By the reactions I get from others in the field whenever I say that my degree had an ethics course, this is also sadly uncommon.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
We had a business ethics course, but we had it because of some weird fight between the university and texas instruments (who originally founded the college as a research campus). The legend went that TI was pissed that most people they hired from the school couldn't code or do anything useful. THis was unsurprising because only 5 or 6 classes in the required degree plan had writing code as a heavily-graded part of the course material. The university claimed it wasn't their lovely curriculum and professors but actually everyone was cheating in their classes & this could be fixed with a business ethics course. The only thing I remember from the course is that our professor talked nonstop about how global warming was a hoax and had an open offer that if you could provide evidence that it isn't one, he'd exempt you from all course materials. This offer had been affixed with over a dozen qualifiers over the years in order to ensure that it was impossible to complete.

What I'm saying is gently caress STEM universities.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Thanatosian posted:

I just do not loving understand how the people who work on this poo poo sleep at night.

then you should loving think about it harder because it describes most of our society

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

30.5 Days posted:

We had a business ethics course, but we had it because of some weird fight between the university and texas instruments (who originally founded the college as a research campus). The legend went that TI was pissed that most people they hired from the school couldn't code or do anything useful. THis was unsurprising because only 5 or 6 classes in the required degree plan had writing code as a heavily-graded part of the course material. The university claimed it wasn't their lovely curriculum and professors but actually everyone was cheating in their classes & this could be fixed with a business ethics course. The only thing I remember from the course is that our professor talked nonstop about how global warming was a hoax and had an open offer that if you could provide evidence that it isn't one, he'd exempt you from all course materials. This offer had been affixed with over a dozen qualifiers over the years in order to ensure that it was impossible to complete.

lmao

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

oh they just tell themselves they're really smart while being completely stupid bastards.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

Engineers man. Engineers.

Some souless goul in the government says: "Hey, can we make an autonomous robot that kills people?"

And then the engineers are like: "Oooh! A problem to solve!"

There are two kinds of weapons scientists in my experience: Dr. Strangelove, and Depression

edit:

Thanatosian posted:

Oh, also forgot: some are dumb enough to buy the 'search and rescue' line

Blockade has issued a correction as of 00:36 on Oct 22, 2021

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

30.5 Days posted:

lol i took an "ethics in computer science" class and the topic of electronic voting came up and the professor was like "even if we could do it 100% securely by computer or phone, it's a bad idea because there should be more effort required to vote. if it was too easy, too many 'uninformed' people would vote". 100% of the students were like, no that's dumb as poo poo

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

either like a baby on a scrooge mcduck pile of money if they're palmer luckey or peter thiel or by believing the bullshit their manager tells them that it's only being used for self defense against bad guys and terrorists, and that there are dozens of checks in the entire chain of command to ensure that nobody innocent gets targeted

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Plank Walker posted:

lol i took an "ethics in computer science" class and the topic of electronic voting came up and the professor was like "even if we could do it 100% securely by computer or phone, it's a bad idea because there should be more effort required to vote. if it was too easy, too many 'uninformed' people would vote". 100% of the students were like, no that's dumb as poo poo

My Professor was from Brazil and cool as hell. We got to read Kant and contrast it with Utilitarianism

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Casey Finnigan posted:

honestly this was already explained by hideo kojima in metal gear solid. the scientists make the nuclear drone or whatever because they want it to be peaceful and shoot peace all over. terrorists or the government make it be used for bad. simple. just explain this to the scientists and they'll join your NGO

otacon being flabbergasted that the battle tank robot he'd been working on was going to be used offensively to launch nukes instead of being a wholly defensive robot with a defensive railgun that just happened to be designed to spec to fire warheads is not too much of an exaggeration of some the people who work at palantir or other evil companies not explicitly military like google or facebook

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ynohtna posted:

I'm sure I saw a mini-doc a couple of years back where all the MIT grads when asked went cloudy-eyed and repeated near-verbatim "These modular accessory platforms are designed purely for freedom-oriented search and rescue missions as assured to us by Colonels Butcher, Gore and Killmonger to a sufficiently conscience-clearing threshold."

yeah the dog robots are explicitly described as search and rescue robots in academic robotics conferences

a good friend of mine in grad school worked on one of these and i don't think he ever questioned it. if everyone you respect repeats that line why would you question it?

e: also when you write grant applications to the government you motivate them by their search and rescue utility

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the first drone weapon was the cruise missile and it was perfected in the 90s. maybe theyll make a loitering one

our imaginations can't fit in indirect fire weapons easily in our stories of war and heroism and stuff so every military wants more and better indirect fire

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

They had drone planes and tanks back in ww2, they were not very effective

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Plank Walker posted:

none of this has anything to do with ethics or computer science, what kind of hogwarts rear end school is this?!?!?!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Drone chat reminds me of that episode of Black Mirror that could have been much cooler but was just okay as it was

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

tokin opposition posted:

I wish I could build an evangelion but have it be used for peaceful, civilian giant roboting instead of murder. - the heart of all true engineers

Ah, you want Patlabor.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it."

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Ah, you want Patlabor.

Hey everybody look we got a NERD over here

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
What happened to all those cool student radicals at MIT? STEM students now have a reputation for being bootlicking shitlords but this wasn't always the case.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ToxicAcne posted:

What happened to all those cool student radicals at MIT? STEM students now have a reputation for being bootlicking shitlords but this wasn't always the case.

There's plenty of radical STEM students now, they're just mostly committed to Jihad

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

ToxicAcne posted:

they did? news to me

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

ToxicAcne posted:

If they were CS they're probably busy being exploited by writing for free all the open source software that the world depends on. Like OpenSSL.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Professor Shark posted:

Drone chat reminds me of that episode of Black Mirror that could have been much cooler but was just okay as it was

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

ToxicAcne posted:

They were mad we weren't killing the Vietnamese hard enough.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
A childhood friend of mine's dad was one of those crazy rightwing STEM guys who thought taxes were a crime and the Democrats were one step away from bringing about a 1984 dystopia. I found out recently that one of the secret projects he had been working on was Stingray and they even helped the local cops use it without a warrant.

I think STEM went fully rightwing when women got pushed out of coding when it became profitable and non-defense contractor jobs started going to Chinese and Indian workers. I believe there's a point in the mid-80's where this happened but it's always been tied to the military industrial complex.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

hippie -> libertarian -> fascist pipeline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

having gone to engineering schools I can assure you that 95% of the student body is libertarian white dudes who go on to work for lockheed or ball or the police

there's also the oilman and nuclear flavors of engineer, but I don't think I ever encountered one of those in the wild