Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Cease to Hope posted:

i do appreciate that red dot sights are fuzzy for mom because she has old person eyes

WHAT. Really?

And yeah, sprinting away from specials while depending on my team to kill them is something I need to both do more often and explicitly vocalize to my team in the lobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Jack B Nimble posted:

WHAT. Really?

And yeah, sprinting away from specials while depending on my team to kill them is something I need to both do more often and explicitly vocalize to my team in the lobby.

I know you mean to run a short distance away while they shoot it but the phrasing makes me think of just going "alright you guys got this right?" and just going into a dead sprint for the safe room

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Decided to try Veteran again and this time only had 1 person join. Somehow we did much better as a 2 person team than anything I experienced with 4 people on Veteran. The only time someone was incaped was when a hocker knocked me into the water right before the grain elevator. Good to know those assholes have knock back. Otherwise we just breezed through every map including the ferry. Even the money system was broken because we were both going into the safe room with at least 4k every round. Just such a far cry from barely making it through the first map only for the ogre to wreck us in the second.

Game ended at the bar because the servers crashed when I went to open something up. God drat is so much of the difficulty curve in this game dependent on whether the other people actually KNOW what they are doing. At least I got to see why this game can be so loving fun.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
bots always report as 0 kills, i don't know if that's accurate though. someone said that less mobs spawn when you have bots?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

CuddleCryptid posted:

I know you mean to run a short distance away while they shoot it but the phrasing makes me think of just going "alright you guys got this right?" and just going into a dead sprint for the safe room

Yes, I meant kiting, but I absolutely do that if I can see the safe room. Sorry team, a win's a win as long as I unlock the next map :blush:

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'm usually toward the front because I prefer shorter-ranged weapons. If I see a special charging, I'll unload my clip at it while warning over voice chat, then sprint away, usually toward/through the rest of the party. Keeps me alive (good because I play Doc) and gives the party a few moments to react, plus a head start on dealing damage.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

CoolCab posted:

bots always report as 0 kills, i don't know if that's accurate though. someone said that less mobs spawn when you have bots?

That is just a UI thing. They are unreliable but they definitely kill normal zeds just fine when they get in the right groove.

Bodacious
Jul 29, 2010
Sure wish they would patch this 60 dollar game. It's been a over week and the whole experience is just plagued with issues.

-Cannot play Act 2 onward. The game even gave me the achievement for completing all of Act 1 on recruit, but when I try to start Act 2 recruit, it tells me to complete A Sound of Thunder to unlock it. ???
-Not having a normal difficulty is bizarre. I was never in danger of dying on recruit, yet veteran will just randomly wipe you 50 feet from the starting saferoom if the director feels like it.
-special infected randomly spawning way more then intended and in multiple groups
(no joke I counted 20+ sleepers on the library level. It's a real chore to have to shoot one every 10 feet or so)
-cant tell if matchmaking is busted or if the game is just dead? I try to start a campaign with cross play disabled on PC and it takes 5+ minutes to find someone. Often, it is only one person. Additional people never connect once the match has started.

There was public beta for this game. The game was delayed to work on it further. Really feel like it should be in a better state.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

limp_cheese posted:

Decided to try Veteran again and this time only had 1 person join. Somehow we did much better as a 2 person team than anything I experienced with 4 people on Veteran.

I feel like 2/3p Vet is way easier than 4p Vet. we did 2/2 bots on Vet and it was a snoozewalk and just loaded with money and maxing out every upgrade. The bots suck but work insanely well as a free heal/damage sponge and i think the game goes easier on specials/spawns with less players.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Bodacious posted:

-Cannot play Act 2 onward. The game even gave me the achievement for completing all of Act 1 on recruit, but when I try to start Act 2 recruit, it tells me to complete A Sound of Thunder to unlock it. ???

I had this happen. Try creating a game yourself on A Sound of Thunder. It seems like maybe it doesn't "count" unless you started the game, or something. Don't know why it specifically happens with that map.

Bodacious posted:

-cant tell if matchmaking is busted or if the game is just dead? I try to start a campaign with cross play disabled on PC and it takes 5+ minutes to find someone. Often, it is only one person. Additional people never connect once the match has started.

So... Enable crossplay?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah just enable crossplay. Otherwise you can't match with anyone who has it on. I get annoyed about this in competitive games when they have it on by default, but its absolutely fine for B4B.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Reminder that turning off crossplay also locks you out of matching with anyone playing from gamepass.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
drives me up the wall that the various PC walled gardens make it so that they can't see each other and you need "crossplay" and all have proprietary matchmaking and poo poo. can't play DRG with my non-xbox friends, at least it works here.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

ShootaBoy posted:

Reminder that turning off crossplay also locks you out of matching with anyone playing from gamepass.

Do you think they have designers working there or do they just drink until they can start hearing voices and do what they tell them to

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
no it's an industry standard thing. if your matchmaking hooks into whatever platform it's on, which always happens with both steam and xbox ecosystems, then making it so they can work with each other counts as "crossplay". annoying.

Bodacious
Jul 29, 2010

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I had this happen. Try creating a game yourself on A Sound of Thunder. It seems like maybe it doesn't "count" unless you started the game, or something. Don't know why it specifically happens with that map.

So... Enable crossplay?

That's the other thing, game will not let me start a match on that map specifically. Only the first map of that last group of four. So I am forced to play through all 4 maps to do the finale again.

Also, why would I not be able to find any other PC players in the top selling game on Steam for over a week?

I guess I'm just bummed that a potentially cool game is bogged down by all this crap.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
they probably all have crossplay on

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
yeah given it's day one free on gamepass

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, literally everyone is just using crossplay to play with their gamepass friends dude.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
My group wanted to try playing on veteran after getting through the first 4 stages and finding things pretty easy.

Veteran was a huge difficulty jump and while we had fun struggling, we died a ton.

Some things are obvious like respecting normal zombie damage and environmental hazards more, keeping distance from specials, running past horrible situations if the safe room is close, but beyond that it was still pretty rough and we barely scraped through the first 3 stages with 0 continues left.

I can't quite tell if this is a matter of "git gud" and better learning the game systems and map layouts, or if the deck system is actually super important and we simply need to have access to better cards in order to hack it in Veteran or worse?

Also, is there any way to pull attachments off of a gun other than swapping with another attachment in that slot?

Scoss fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 22, 2021

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Scoss posted:

I can't quite tell if this is a matter of "git gud" and better learning the game systems and map layouts, or if the deck system is actually super important and we simply need to have access to better cards in order to hack it in Veteran or worse?

Also, is there any way to pull attachments off of a gun other than swapping with another attachment in that slot?

The deck is very important to your success, and no on the attachments

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah I wouldn't venture into Veteran until you've started building powerful decks focused on specific weapons and have at least one dedicated medic. Learning the maps is super important, sure, but the power you get from decks can't be understated. I was able to make headway in Veteran once I was about 2/3 into the full campaign on Recruit.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I wouldn't go quite that far - learned tactics and mechanical execution also make a huge difference, and the push to learn them just ain't there on recruit - but powerful decks do make it easier.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

limp_cheese posted:

Decided to try Veteran again and this time only had 1 person join. Somehow we did much better as a 2 person team than anything I experienced with 4 people on Veteran. The only time someone was incaped was when a hocker knocked me into the water right before the grain elevator. Good to know those assholes have knock back. Otherwise we just breezed through every map including the ferry. Even the money system was broken because we were both going into the safe room with at least 4k every round. Just such a far cry from barely making it through the first map only for the ogre to wreck us in the second.

Game ended at the bar because the servers crashed when I went to open something up. God drat is so much of the difficulty curve in this game dependent on whether the other people actually KNOW what they are doing. At least I got to see why this game can be so loving fun.

I haven't tried with multiple, but I think the game is easier with a bot than a full squad. veteran is tough as nails with 4 people, but with 3 we weren't having many issues. it seems like the game is doing some stuff under the hood to make it easier, but beyond that the bot is always dropping ammo and seems to have unlimited heals, that it will use generously. it's like having a support class with an impossible amount of items.

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

veni veni veni posted:

I haven't tried with multiple, but I think the game is easier with a bot than a full squad. veteran is tough as nails with 4 people, but with 3 we weren't having many issues. it seems like the game is doing some stuff under the hood to make it easier, but beyond that the bot is always dropping ammo and seems to have unlimited heals, that it will use generously. it's like having a support class with an impossible amount of items.

Agreeing with all the bot praise/condemnation.

They are dumb as gently caress, but their invisible regenerating Halo shield, increased damage resistance, infinite supplies on a 60 second cooldown, teleportation, and automatic distribution of their collected copper to PCs makes them better than your average idiot pubbie.

Heck, even with a solid squad of 4, I think it's easier to go with 3 and a bot for their perks. At least on Recruit/Veteran. Haven't touched Nightmare, but I would not be surprised if they became worthless there due to the damage scaling.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Having attempted veteran once and dying horribly, I cannot imagine trying to do even harder with the game as buggy and in need of balance passes as it is right now.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Veteran is very hard but imo it's the only fun way to play the game. At least with a group. For the most part the stuff that seems impossible at first isn't actually that bad with a good group.

Some of the corruption cards ad horde spawns can be really bad though. Like, you might as well just back out and restart the checkpoint.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Some of the corruption cards ad horde spawns can be really bad though. Like, you might as well just back out and restart the checkpoint.

The one with acid zombies is straight bullshit and one of those cards where I assume we've hit the end of the fun when it comes up. There are just so many of them and they do so much damage it just isn't fair. Even worse is when they spawn them during running events like getting through all the cages in the second to last level of Act 3. The exploding heads can also be bullshit with how the hitboxes for melee are but they are at least manageable.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I'm on Xbox Series X and looking to match up with some goons to get my decks up to speed.

TVsWanderer#7885 for crossplay; TVsWanderer on Xbox Live.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

limp_cheese posted:

The one with acid zombies is straight bullshit and one of those cards where I assume we've hit the end of the fun when it comes up. There are just so many of them and they do so much damage it just isn't fair. Even worse is when they spawn them during running events like getting through all the cages in the second to last level of Act 3. The exploding heads can also be bullshit with how the hitboxes for melee are but they are at least manageable.

Love to get a corruption card that just completely punishes an entire playstyle 3/4 of the way through an act!

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Every time I play this game with a solid team, it just feels so good. Peoples' builds are really starting to come together; despite it being a challenge, we did act 2 on veteran without anything near the difficulty that we had on act 1. I'm also sold on Jim for sniping - not for the passive stacking bonus damage, though it's real nice if you can keep it, but for the aim down sights speed. It's tough trying to fit +ADS into the card build.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

How is quickplay mid match "supposed" to work anyway? In the beta I noticed some or all of the following behaviors:

* pick a bot to possess. During this time you have no perks at all. OR join and possess a bot previously played by another character and have all their perks. Or just start in the safe room half a map behind the other players.

* during intercession get prompted to play a character. Or sometimes not.

* get your character perk and "free" card picks equivalent to the level from my chosen deck to catch me up. Or get no card picks. Or get an appropriate number of card picks but they're all from some super generic deck I didn't make (probably the default)

I have no idea what's intended and what's a bug.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Everything is currently a bug in this game

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

So I am absolutely convinced that when you have fewer players the game becomes WAY easier. Started a run on recruit Act 1. Enough people join I have a 4 person team. Things go alright but 2 people drop. The next map we have 4 chances to buy a card and a few random cards there too. A few maps later and I have 10k copper and we are being drowned in resources. We seriously can't use them fast enough. I wouldn't be surprised if the meta to survive nightmare is a team of 2 with 2 bots.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel like instead of having corruption cards be the default it would have been cooler to make them some sort of risk/reward thing. Like, just give people the option to play with no cards for very little cash, or stack 10 on at once and make the game insanely hard but you get a bunch of money if you hit the safe house.

Alternately a chance to reroll would be nice. Even if it was just once per checkpoint or whatever. You can just do it anyways by backing out and restarting, just save me the 3 minutes it takes to set a new game up.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like instead of having corruption cards be the default it would have been cooler to make them some sort of risk/reward thing. Like, just give people the option to play with no cards for very little cash, or stack 10 on at once and make the game insanely hard but you get a bunch of money if you hit the safe house.

Yeah, I think that would be a really fun mechanic. It'd help give players some feeling of autonomy while also doing a better job of controlling the random-rear end difficulty spikes

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

Alternately a chance to reroll would be nice. Even if it was just once per checkpoint or whatever. You can just do it anyways by backing out and restarting, just save me the 3 minutes it takes to set a new game up.

The only problem with a press your luck mechanic would be trying to manage it with pubs, I feel like you'd never make everybody happy with that outcome.

It does feel like a miss opportunity design wise though like why even have cards if the player has no control over them.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I had one pub very angry screaming "why did one of you pick that corruption card???" in one match. Some aspects of the whole "card" thing aren't quite made clear to people.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

i played for a few more hours and the amount of the special infected the game throws at you just isent really fun to play against alot of times. even on recruit it still seems a bit excessive. i just had one of those games where everyone got permastunned by a bunch of whatever those lovely spitter things are called and it sucked.

i also think they overestimated the team coordination of the average player. alot of times in a full game theres always that one guy that just wanders off and gets killed constantly or a group that doesnt realize they have to run instead of fighting a giant horde.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I had one pub very angry screaming "why did one of you pick that corruption card???" in one match. Some aspects of the whole "card" thing aren't quite made clear to people.

I feel like I must be weirdly lucky that the 3 times I have played this without a group of goons, all of the pubbies I have gotten were cool and also decent at the game.