Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJcyclopz
Feb 16, 2012

Hawkperson posted:

Yes. A is augmented and d is diminished. You can rarely get augmented and diminished intervals outside of the expected ones by spelling notes differently. That is, C to Eb is a minor third. But C to D# is an augmented second. Even though they are the same interval, the “spelling” requires us to describe it differently.

Diminished example: C to A is a major 6th. But C to Bbb (B double flat) is a diminished 7th. Are you going to see that very often? Nah. Is it still an interval you could potentially describe? Yeah.

Very helpful. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

last night i didn’t get nearly enough sleep because i had a bunch of music stuck in my head and it literally kept me awake

send help

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

I've just got a Roland FP10 digital piano to replace my old keyboard with 61 unweighted keys etc. It also means I now have use of a sustain pedal for the first time, but my stupid uncoordinated hands and feet don't want to use it properly. I'm struggling to lift off and then press back down on the right note (tend to do it too early mainly but sometimes I over correct and do it too late), also I've developed a habit of not holding the notes for the correct amount of time when the pedal is down for some weird reason.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

good exercise for building finger/hand strength? or is it just practice

probably need to buy the hanon book or something but i'm putting it off

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

It’s out of copyright so you could just grab a pdf or use this handy site: https://www.hanon-online.com/all-piano-exercises/

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Hawkperson posted:

It’s out of copyright so you could just grab a pdf or use this handy site: https://www.hanon-online.com/all-piano-exercises/

yeah, i actually just routinely waste a lot of money on paper copies of books that could be read online for free because they're public domain (thinking mainly of my big stack of dickens novels) just because i can't STAND reading off a screen

with a piano and music it's tough too because there's no way to get something a good size on a music stand in a not-cumbersome way

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=600044

This is pretty interesting!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

As an adult I am super dismissive of this thing but as a parent of children I'm leaning forward in my chair.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Insane price @ $240. Absolutely want to see a review ASAP since that might be a good option until I can actually afford the model I want.

EDIT: Wait, are the keys thinner? I'm losing my mind trying to measure poo poo/finding a concrete answer on standard sizes.

EDT 2: I just ordered the P515 w/stand & pedals from SweetWater and I'm about to die from the price. SweetWater is offering 36mo financing with their card for only 1 more day and the P515 MSRP has just jumped to $2000 loving dollars but SW hasn't upped their price yet. All bundled together, total came in just under $2k.

I'm freakin' out!!

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 29, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

landgrabber posted:

last night i didn’t get nearly enough sleep because i had a bunch of music stuck in my head and it literally kept me awake

send help

Same but I forgot it within 5 minutes and it probably wasn’t very good anyway.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

The Joe Man posted:

EDT 2: I just ordered the P515 w/stand & pedals from SweetWater and I'm about to die from the price. SweetWater is offering 36mo financing with their card for only 1 more day and the P515 MSRP has just jumped to $2000 loving dollars but SW hasn't upped their price yet. All bundled together, total came in just under $2k.

I'm freakin' out!!
Since I'm apparently going all in on this poo poo, I might as well get a new comfortable bench along with it.

Anyone have any recommendations for a comfortable, longer piano bench with spacious storage for sheet music books inside? There's a few ones of questionable quality I've seen on Amazon but currently considering this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RPBD500PE--roland-rpb-d500pe

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

The Joe Man posted:

Since I'm apparently going all in on this poo poo, I might as well get a new comfortable bench along with it.

Anyone have any recommendations for a comfortable, longer piano bench with spacious storage for sheet music books inside? There's a few ones of questionable quality I've seen on Amazon but currently considering this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RPBD500PE--roland-rpb-d500pe

For this type of stuff, I would recommend going to a piano store and buying one in person if possible. If not, what you're looking at looks great. The fact that it's adjustable with plush cushioning is awesome, and the price isn't bad. Here's another example I found online.

https://jansenpianobenches.com/coll...age-compartment

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
Can someone help me identify a chord in this piece? Specifically the one at 1:11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDvtuEQ1LvE&t=71s

Piano starts at 0.53 with what I think is F major 1st inversion over F and then the high F then moves around. What I can't get though is the next chord at 1.11. No sheet music online. Those automated tools are suggesting Ab, Ab5 or Dm but none of those sound right. Appreciate any help. No doubt it's something obvious.

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.
I'm a bit confused as to which chord you're referring to because there is one chord exactly at 1:10 and 1:12 but not 1:11, but I'm assuming it's the the latter as it is a chord change. That is a Ab major 7th. Ab, C, Eb, G.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

bltzn posted:

I'm a bit confused as to which chord you're referring to because there is one chord exactly at 1:10 and 1:12 but not 1:11, but I'm assuming it's the the latter as it is a chord change. That is a Ab major 7th. Ab, C, Eb, G.

Yes that's it! Thank you.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

someone please will me a steinway and then die thanks

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
ive just been playing 3 note chords and singing along to pop/rock stuff for funsies for years now, but past few weeks ive been cramming music theory youtubes and i learned about the circle of fifths and what the major keys are and stuff like what the roman numerals mean when ppl talk about chord progressions and its all starting to click and its like a whole new world has opened up

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

my teacher told me part of my practice should be doing the five finger scale patterns on all notes -- i'm wondering how the hell i do them when the root note is on a black key? what do i use instead of my thumb?

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
are you not supposed to use your thumb?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

mycophobia posted:

ive just been playing 3 note chords and singing along to pop/rock stuff for funsies for years now, but past few weeks ive been cramming music theory youtubes and i learned about the circle of fifths and what the major keys are and stuff like what the roman numerals mean when ppl talk about chord progressions and its all starting to click and its like a whole new world has opened up

Someday that stuff is gonna click for me and I look forward to it. Seems awesome.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

landgrabber posted:

my teacher told me part of my practice should be doing the five finger scale patterns on all notes -- i'm wondering how the hell i do them when the root note is on a black key? what do i use instead of my thumb?
As a rule with major scales that start on black keys: with the RH you usually you start with finger 2 and tuck your thumb under when you move from a black key to a white key, with the LH you usually start on finger 3* and tuck your 4th finger* over when you move from a white key to a black key. (*the exception is F#/Gb where you'd start on finger 4 and tuck your 3rd finger over.)

This is what I use anyway, I'm not sure there are "accepted" fingerings for the scales since I've seen more than one suggested for the same scale. If you have a teacher it might be best to ask them.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

Someday that stuff is gonna click for me and I look forward to it. Seems awesome.

my ultimate ambition is to sound half as good improvising as the sims 1 build mode music lol. i feel like im about 10% of the way there

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

oh no computer posted:

As a rule with major scales that start on black keys: with the RH you usually you start with finger 2 and tuck your thumb under when you move from a black key to a white key, with the LH you usually start on finger 3* and tuck your 4th finger* over when you move from a white key to a black key. (*the exception is F#/Gb where you'd start on finger 4 and tuck your 3rd finger over.)

This is what I use anyway, I'm not sure there are "accepted" fingerings for the scales since I've seen more than one suggested for the same scale. If you have a teacher it might be best to ask them.

index finger goes on the db and gb is how i've always done it (so ab starts on middle finger, bb starts on ring and eb starts on middle finger)

dunno if that's right or not.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Yo, thread! Time for some Chopin. Here's a video of Chopin's "Revolutionary Etude" plus the same piece arranged for left hand alone by a pianist named Leopold Godowsky. Fun, but challenging:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTxMVYBB7ts

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
drat that looks really hard

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

IT BURNS posted:

Yo, thread! Time for some Chopin. Here's a video of Chopin's "Revolutionary Etude" plus the same piece arranged for left hand alone by a pianist named Leopold Godowsky. Fun, but challenging:

yeesh, that's ridiculous

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

mycophobia posted:

my ultimate ambition is to sound half as good improvising as the sims 1 build mode music lol. i feel like im about 10% of the way there

No joke, the sims and sim city 3k are some of my biggest inspirations to keep practicing jazz

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

IT BURNS posted:

Stonkingly good playing there - well done.

*Goes and practices*

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i have a yamaha p105 keyboard, which is awesome but it was discontinued a long time ago. we only have an x stand for it, and the stock pedal it comes with. i'd really like the full three pedals and a solid stand (the x stand is complete balls and doesn't really let me have good posture) -- how hard are they cappin' when they say that the P115/P125 stand and pedal unit won't work with any other digital yamaha pianos?

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
That seems odd - my understanding is that most pedals are just an on-off switch. Heck, I still use some old Rockband 2 pedal switches for my sustain and volume pedals.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I've been looking for a good way to sketch out and note down musical ideas without having to schlep over to my PC, load up a DAW, and jam on it using my (typing) keyboard. Reason is that if we tie back to the "knowing your goals" section of the OP, my goal is "I want to be able to compose music like my favorite bands and video game composers!", and that involves a lot of experimentation and learning music theory. Having a keyboard that I can just sit down at and experiment on is really helpful, and speeds up time-to-new-ideas.

Anything wrong with just getting a cheap 61~76 key digital piano? If not, any pointers on getting a used one off Reverb? Any recommended brands, or are beat-up old Casios good enough? And am I doing anything stupid in the first place? :ohdear:

Actual production would take place on my PC, so no workstations or anything. I wouldn't need anything other than speakers/headphones and a scorebook to sketch in. I won't be performing live, I don't need high fidelity sound, I won't be recording except on my phone, I (probably?) don't need a wide range, and I haven't seriously studied (or :barf: performed :barf:) piano since I was like 14, so I ain't pulling out Chopin.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

You almost certainly want a MIDI controller so you can not just do the stuff you said but play poo poo directly on your keyboard and have it show up in your favorite DAW ready to go. The little 25-key guys are pretty cheap.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh I have one of those coming in already. This would be for…yeah, I think I’m pre-optimizing again. Let’s just put this off for now.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Just had my first piano lesson in about 22 years. Her piano is massively out of tune in the lower registers, but she didn't pre-warn me or make any reference to it. What's the etiquette here, would pointing it out be considered rude?

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.
My Roland FP-30X that I bought a couple weeks ago has a weird thing where one of the F#s occasionally plays at full volume when hit and feels like the key has no resistance. I thought it might be a me problem but it only happens on that one particular key. :thunk:

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

bltzn posted:

My Roland FP-30X that I bought a couple weeks ago has a weird thing where one of the F#s occasionally plays at full volume when hit and feels like the key has no resistance. I thought it might be a me problem but it only happens on that one particular key. :thunk:

If a factory reset doesn't fix it, you're going to have to get it replaced or repaired. My experience taking my fp-10 into the "Roland approved" shop a few months back was kind of negative - it took weeks before they even looked at it. If you're still within the vendor's return period I'd talk to them and see if you can get it swapped.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

oh no computer posted:

Just had my first piano lesson in about 22 years. Her piano is massively out of tune in the lower registers, but she didn't pre-warn me or make any reference to it. What's the etiquette here, would pointing it out be considered rude?

My pessimistic opinion on this is to get a new teacher. Tuning is so important, and if a teacher neglects that it makes me wonder what else they overlook. Of course, it’s possible that they can’t afford a tuning, but it’s up to you to decide whether that’s your problem.

I once took a lesson from a woman who lived in low income housing that used to be a hotel. She actually really knew her poo poo, but she only had an electric keyboard and we had to keep it soooooo soft because the walls were paper thin. Like, so soft I could barely hear it. I felt really bad about not continuing with her because she clearly needed the work, but an electric keyboard basically on mute just wasn’t conducive to my learning. Man I still feel bad about that when I think back on it

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

In the mood for something off the beaten path? Try the ultimate troll, John Cage. I did a recital recently of his Sonatas and Interludes for Prepared Piano, where you're supposed to put 19 screws, 20 bolts, 7 nuts, 15 pieces of rubber, 5 pieces of plastic, and a #2 pencil inside to change the tone of the instrument into a quasi percussion orchestra. It's unique, but great music. I had a camera streaming the inside of the piano during the concert so the audience could see the foreign materials inside the instrument. Preceding this, I did a live performance of 4'33 (look it up). Here's an excerpt from the concert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywv-Oiu8XRA

The sounds range from slow and hypnotic to weird to rhythmic. Give it a shot, you might like it.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

I'm learning Gymnopedie No. 1. How do you play this bit? Like specifically what are you meant to do with the F#?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Keep your pinky on it and use 124 for the bass clef stuff I think. Don’t trust me, let someone else vouch or not