Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

KingSlime posted:

SNES and NES controllers were weirdly mushy and I always hated that. I don't really get the nostalgia for them as someone who grew up with them

The pause and select buttons were especially grody, and hearing them squeak when my brother was playing early in the mornings was the worst

Can’t imagine how grimy those controllers must have been, I’ve never had that problem but I also washed my hands when I was a kid. NES and SNES controllers are still good to this day if you take basic care of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Willo567 posted:

https://twitter.com/N_gamesnews/status/1451232958241652736

Finally. How is the emulation on the games that are already on the Capcom Brawler Collection in comparison, better or worse?

The packs are also on sale

Fuckin great

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Guys there's a romhack that ADDS NUDES

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Can’t imagine how grimy those controllers must have been, I’ve never had that problem but I also washed my hands when I was a kid. NES and SNES controllers are still good to this day if you take basic care of them

I know a lot of people struggle with personal hygiene in these forums or at least it's a fun goon trope but I don't mean filthy grody, the membrane just sucks on them. Of course they're still good and they still work they just feel cheap and unsatisfying.

I don't know I've never liked those controllers. Considering how crappy the N64 controller and the Joy-Cons are, I just think Nintendo never learned how to step up their controller game

Youll see what I mean when you get a chance to try out a PS5 controller! It's such a nice piece of hardware and Sony has not been in the video game hardware arena anywhere near as long as Nintendo

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 21, 2021

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

KingSlime posted:

I know a lot of people struggle with personal hygiene in these forums or at least it's a fun goon trope but I don't mean filthy grody, the membrane just sucks on them. Of course they're still good and they still work they just feel cheap and unsatisfying.

I don't know I've never liked those controllers. Considering how crappy the N64 controller and the Joy-Cons are, I just think Nintendo never learned how to step up their controller game

Youll see what I mean when you get a chance to try out a PS5 controller! It's such a nice piece of hardware and Sony has not been in the video game hardware arena anywhere near as long as Nintendo

ps5 pad has stick drift issues lol

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Mine doesn't! And I use it a lot

It's so good you guys

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

well then i guess its all made up. icidentally my joycons havbnt drifted therefore it doesnt happen.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
On that note the Vita hardware/true dual stick set up was downright luxurious compared to the 3DS and I was really steamed about that when the nu3ds introduced a stupid nipple instead of another slide stick.

Shame about the games/parental abandonment from Sony, at the end of the day I think the 3DS is a better/richer console

Stux posted:

well then i guess its all made up. icidentally my joycons havbnt drifted therefore it doesnt happen.

Hmm I'm not trying to be contrarian I genuinely haven't heard about this or seen much about it in the PS5 thread

I love my switch but I have definitely gone through at least three pairs of joy cons due to drift and through no fault of my own, never had any other hardware issues other than limp N64 controller stick issues. Oh and my GBA SP L button went out, all within the margin of normal hardware failure rates I think.

Joy con failure rate is a whole other level for me

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 21, 2021

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I can tolerate stick drift if it’s easy to swap it out, but Sony and Microsoft solder the drat things to the board for some reason. It just makes it a pain in the rear end with very little benefit

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Junkie Disease posted:

Guys there's a romhack that ADDS NUDES

nudity goes against nintendo's core values

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

why get a classic style controller when you can get an 8bitdo and never shut the gently caress up about it

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Takoluka posted:

why get a classic style controller when you can get an 8bitdo and never shut the gently caress up about it

not using an officially licensed nintendo controller with your switch??? hosed up....

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Almost as bad as pirating amiibos imo

You must play how Nintendo intended you to play in order to ensure the highest standards of quality and safety during your gaming experience

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Wonder why they didnt improve upon the 10 cent sticks in the OLED model, I guess it's too rich for their blood

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Some tear down video somewhere said they made a tiny change that should help with the drift but I can't be bothered to look it up

I've just accepted that buying a new Joy-Con set every 2 years is just part of a new Revolutionary subscription model

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I like the Series S/X controller! The pro controller is pretty nice too. PS5 controller still has the wacky touch pad button, I think. Not a huge fan that.

I conceptually like the Joy Cons but they need some work.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The downside to the Series S controller is it still uses loving AA batteries unless you buy a separate charger pack?!

Edit: Though it does appear the controllers are cheaper than the Pro/PS5 as a result so I guess there's a pro to the rechargable batteries not included approach. Plus it means if something dumb does happen to the rechargeable battery you can replace if easily unlike most other controllers.

Zurtilik fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 21, 2021

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the joycon sticks are so much the only solution for tiny sticks that every single handheld emu thing uses them as well now

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Seriously the Capcom arcade is amazing

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

My Pro controller started drifting. I know the joystick isn't the same as the Joycon, so is there any particular brand of replacements or anything anyone recommends?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

My Pro controller started drifting. I know the joystick isn't the same as the Joycon, so is there any particular brand of replacements or anything anyone recommends?

8bitdo Pro 2. You won't be able to wake your Switch with it but it's better than the Pro Controller in every single other way.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

nudity goes against nintendo's core values
Then where are Kirby's pants?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ROJO posted:

So, my OLED should be showing up today, and we're going to be a 2 switch household. Given that both user accounts will be NSO and have cloud saves, I assume there is no point in doing a transfer, and should just re-download whatever games I want on the new switch right?
This is a totally fine way to do it, unless you have games that don't support cloud saves that you would prefer on the new model. Also, you have to redownload games individually which isn't a big deal since they're all in one list, but if you have hundreds or something it takes a bit of effort.

ROJO posted:

Animal crossing may be the lone issue, but I'm stuck with that on just one switch anyways, right?
I don't AC but I think you can run the transfer app after setting up your new switch.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Unreal_One posted:

But we can all agree that R and ZR is the worst. Every time just L/R is used, any person who isn't used to the Nintendo naming hits ZL/ZR then I have to remind them there's a little button in front of that.
I think that's just because ZL/ZR are the superior buttons.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Stux posted:

the joycon sticks are so much the only solution for tiny sticks that every single handheld emu thing uses them as well now

ill show you a tiny stick

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
can we agree that nothing is worse than the xbox controller "window" and "three lines" buttons. wtf are those

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Detective No. 27 posted:

8bitdo Pro 2. You won't be able to wake your Switch with it but it's better than the Pro Controller in every single other way.
Owning four 8BitDo controllers I don't disagree. Although I recently started using my Pro Controller again for HD rumble on Metroid Dread and it is a comfy controller in a different way.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

The US SNES buttons are superior. The light/dark purple tones are unique. Some people say that the four separate colors are better for accessibility but the US buttons do this better due to having convex and concave buttons, so one can tell which button their finger is on without having to stop looking at the screen.

Yeah the convex/concave thing is something I really like. I grew up with it, and have the NA SNES controller, but a European SNES Mini, and I don't like the round candy buttons.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Zurtilik posted:

The downside to the Series S controller is it still uses loving AA batteries unless you buy a separate charger pack?!

Edit: Though it does appear the controllers are cheaper than the Pro/PS5 as a result so I guess there's a pro to the rechargable batteries not included approach. Plus it means if something dumb does happen to the rechargeable battery you can replace if easily unlike most other controllers.

If you don't mind plugging in, you never really have to worry about the batteries. It may even work without batteries in it. I've had a new Xbox controller since (whenever this style came out) for PC usage and always plug it in to use it, and haven't had it go out on me yet.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

can we agree that nothing is worse than the xbox controller "window" and "three lines" buttons. wtf are those

Lmao I'm a huge fan of companies trying to be creative with button names and coming up with just asinine counterintuitive stuff

I still think the SHARE button on the PlayStation controllers is downright unholy and it needs to be stripped out of all future models ASAP

Anyone have any fun examples of hilarious/stupid buttons? Someone should make a YouTube video out of this, would definitely watch while working

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

putting a dedicatred button for screenshots and clips on all platforms is one of the besbt changes ever you lunatic

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Hell nah tuck that away in a sub menu this is valuable real estate we're working with

Then again I'm also not a big fan of the giant touch pad but it works okay. My favorite use for it is when it's a giant pause / menu / map screen button

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

enojy posted:

If you don't mind plugging in, you never really have to worry about the batteries. It may even work without batteries in it. I've had a new Xbox controller since (whenever this style came out) for PC usage and always plug it in to use it, and haven't had it go out on me yet.

That's true. The pro to being able to connect it to any ol USB-C is that you can plug it in anywhere, no the just console.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yeah, I don't really see what was wrong with "start" and "back" if only that they weren't 100% accurate for usage all the time.

But I guess the argument for is that icons are better then words that need to be localized?

e: I got an XB1 controller awhile back to use with my PC, but it's kind of a headache to use through bluetooth cause I couldn't figure out how to get it to power off without disconnecting it from bluetooth, which meant having to set it back up every time I wanted to use it. With my 360 controller I could just pop the battery compartment to turn the sucker off.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Or better yet, maybe make the share functions come up when you hit a combination of buttons. It would still be instantly accessible but frees up the SHARE button for context specific uses like a classic select button

Kind of like how Android makes you hold two buttons together to take a screenshot, works pretty great and you never accidentally trigger it

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

They still haven't added any new games since it came out, right?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I like the little screenshot button, when I finish a game I like to take a shot of the ending screen just to prove that I beat it. It’s also fun to record cool things you’ve pulled off. I like to to browse through my album sometimes, it’s like a list of achievements but more personalized.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

KingSlime posted:

Or better yet, maybe make the share functions come up when you hit a combination of buttons. It would still be instantly accessible but frees up the SHARE button for context specific uses like a classic select button

Kind of like how Android makes you hold two buttons together to take a screenshot, works pretty great and you never accidentally trigger it

no. no. just, no. nope. no. wrong.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

e: I got an XB1 controller awhile back to use with my PC, but it's kind of a headache to use through bluetooth cause I couldn't figure out how to get it to power off without disconnecting it from bluetooth, which meant having to set it back up every time I wanted to use it. With my 360 controller I could just pop the battery compartment to turn the sucker off.

I hope you figured this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Looper posted:

no. no. just, no. nope. no. wrong.

Fine then just make it a toggle in a menu so you can assign it however you prefer, gosh. Hell every system OS should give you full control over mappings and every game should have its own custom mappings options on top of that