Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah Zeeland is already pumping out videos.

As someone who didn't buy FM21 and is still on FM20, jesus the animations and match engine looks so lovely.

I'm buying this ASAP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Mans posted:

As someone who didn't buy FM21 and is still on FM20, jesus the animations and match engine looks so lovely.

I'm buying this ASAP

I am also in this boat. Goddamn I'm excited for the new version.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
will this finally be the year i switch to 3d

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

KoldPT posted:

text only 4lyfe

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

KoldPT posted:

It's insane to me that people still use 2d view.

Download some 3d match kits (if your club doesn't have licensed ones in the game already) and watch what's actually happening for once. Be a better manager.

It's extra important this year because players have animations for when they're tired/out of breath. Pressing logic has changed so players won't just run until they're dead any more. As their condition lowers they'll manage themselves and make less sprints, so if you want your mad lad gegenpress to be effective late on you need to identify which players aren't going to be working hard enough.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Are the two difficulty settings in the game still "max pressing at all times" and "hard mode"

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

sebzilla posted:

text only 4lyfe

i did this for an absurdly long time when they added 2d view lol

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

Are the two difficulty settings in the game still "max pressing at all times" and "hard mode"

No they're actually taking stamina into account this year apparently, if you press too hard with players that can't handle it they'll make mistakes when they're out of energy. Mbape can run forever but your team of Sunday beer league footballers can't.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Eric the Mauve posted:

Maybe. The high press will always be effective in FM because it's the hard counter to their "defensive" mentalities, where teams sit deep and narrow and try to build at a low tempo. Until they rethink things on that front (either greater variety from ai managers, or make "defensive" a more realistic set of instructions), you will always get to a point where you want to gegenpress to get consistent results. Relegation-battlers can and will play like Barcelona if you don't shut them down high up the pitch. Low tempo possession is how top sides play irl.

I've won trebles with a mid block though. It's not hard mode. Opposition sides that think they can beat you are easily exploited by dropping off a little, packing the midfield, and playing (relatively) quickly up to an AF-A running in behind. The high/gegenpress is a waste of energy until that space in behind no longer exists.

Pressing instruction has changed a little bit, with the slider now representing how promising an opportunity is needed to trigger a press - one end of the bar being "wait for an obvious mistake and numerical advantage", and the other "just press on your own, all the time, run run run". I think last year it was labelled "pressing intensity" where everyone just turned it way up thinking "more intense pressure = good, obviously". It's a (theoretically) smarter system now.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

LionYeti posted:

No they're actually taking stamina into account this year apparently, if you press too hard with players that can't handle it they'll make mistakes when they're out of energy. Mbape can run forever but your team of Sunday beer league footballers can't.

Getting tired and then making mistakes is how it was supposed to work before. This year has gone the other way where players won't get as tired because they will slow down and work less before that happens. You have to pay attention to the game itself to notice that your press is no longer activating effectively, as the player icons won't appear near-death until long after activity has changed.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 19, 2021

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Something I hope is changed is Lower League stuff, where you start with minimal experience/badges and get offered League 2 jobs, just as a sop to getting impatient players into managing a club.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Not sure why impatient players would need a sop, you can always just pick the club you want to manage when you start a game and I imagine most players do that.

I always start unemployed and with like Continental A and national footballer level qualifications and come sack season I usually get interview invites from mid-low table top tier clubs. Usually can't actually get offered the jobs but occasionally you can. It's kinda Hard Mode because your players think you're a bad joke and treat you as such.

At some point in every long save I've done I always get the LLM itch and just take a job with Wealdstone or Notts County or whoever with my Worldwide rep 3-time CL winning manager. I don't generally quit a save until it gets corrupted or just too painfully slow to endure anymore, which usually happens somewhere between 2045 and 2055.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 20, 2021

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Not sure why impatient players would need a sop, you can always just pick the club you want to manage when you start a game and I imagine most players do that.

It was something that was definitely noted. No badge/experience coaches getting jobs a few levels above where they should be because "the game" doesn't want people sitting around waiting constantly. I'd agree with you about "just pick a club" but I guess it's almost a balance between whether a 32 year old with no badge/experience would get any job at any level in the game.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mrenda posted:

It was something that was definitely noted. No badge/experience coaches getting jobs a few levels above where they should be because "the game" doesn't want people sitting around waiting constantly. I'd agree with you about "just pick a club" but I guess it's almost a balance between whether a 32 year old with no badge/experience would get any job at any level in the game.
There's a yearly challenge on sports interactive where people create working leagues for a crazy amount of nations and depth in existing leagues (like all the way down to completely amateur league 10 English teams or Japanese university football).

The idea is that you create someone with the minimum qualifications and reputation, start unemployed and just go wild. Maybe you start your career on second division Angola, maybe in Kosovo? You just try and grab what you can get and roll with it.

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Mans posted:

There's a yearly challenge on sports interactive where people create working leagues for a crazy amount of nations and depth in existing leagues (like all the way down to completely amateur league 10 English teams or Japanese university football).

The idea is that you create someone with the minimum qualifications and reputation, start unemployed and just go wild. Maybe you start your career on second division Angola, maybe in Kosovo? You just try and grab what you can get and roll with it.

Is there a site for where all this stuff is posted? Or do you have to go in search of it all?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

TitusGroen posted:

Is there a site for where all this stuff is posted? Or do you have to go in search of it all?

There's some stuff like that here:
https://www.fmscout.com/c-fm21-editor-data.html

I started a save with this World Super League one recently. It's good fun and allows me to play as my hometown team (Dundalk) with somewhere to go as opposed to just dominating the League of Ireland.
https://www.fmscout.com/a-world-super-league-fm21.html

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Please enjoy and remember to report data issues on the official forums. Some researchers appreciate it, some get real salty. Either way is great.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
In other news, happy fm22 beta day.

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer

SirFozzie posted:

In other news, happy fm22 beta day.

Regrettably those or us waiting on the game pass release are out of luck. I guess I shouldn’t complain given the cost.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
As much as I have come to hate the idea of games as a service rather than a purchase, some of those game pass-like subcriptions are very good value. I briefly had PSNow because I wanted to play RDR1 with a mouse and keyboard, but my gaming activity has tapered off so much in recent months that I can no longer justify such things.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TitusGroen posted:

For mods i either use the sports interactive forum or fmscout

Here's an example of a very decent mod that basically creates working leagues for virtually every nation on earth. Do you want to play on Syria's third division? How about Liberia? On a more serious level, this is a really decent mod since it creates working leagues for African leagues, which are a massive gaping hole on FM currently.
https://community.sigames.com/forums/topic/550750-fm21-around-the-globe-megapack-by-davetheeditor-66/

You can pick and choose which leagues to use of course. These can be a bit barebones for very understanding reasons, but they also have some truly spectacular league mods if you want something more detailed (including a USA league system that turns the MLS into a conventional european style league instead of the crazy confusing mess that it is right now).

https://community.sigames.com/forums/topic/545059-fm21-usa-10-tier-prorel-database/

Since I'm at it, I'll share some interesting mods for 21 as well if anyone's interested.

This mega pack allows you pick and choose any of the changes (some of them are really specific and not that interesting outside of personal challenges) so you can create very interesting scenarios for an overall more challenging but also dynamic career:
https://community.sigames.com/forum...ted-media-file/

World cup, euro cup, copa america? How about a world wide nations league, with nations getting promoted and relegated as in a regular league? Comes with a Cup tournament as well!
https://community.sigames.com/forums/topic/544458-fm21-fifa-nations-league/

And this one is by far my favorite, UEFA revival allows you to pick and choose a buttload of formats for international cup competitions.

Do you want Intertoto back? Cup Winners Cup? A Champions league exclusively for league champions? Maybe you want the old UEFA Cup and their five team per group model? There are over 50 different combinations of UEFA competitions.

Not only that, but you can also play on a really fun CONCACAF and CONMEBOL merger (mostly, more fun to US and Mexican teams, who now can play against decent teams :v:) which has up to 5 different cups.

It also has files for a revamped Asian champions league, Oceanic champions league and club world cup.

It's crazy good and ambitious.

https://community.sigames.com/forum...-and-much-more/

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
Have any of you started up on the FM22 beta? If so, any positive/negative impressions so far?

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

OoohU posted:

Have any of you started up on the FM22 beta? If so, any positive/negative impressions so far?

I just played a few friendlies after it was downloaded and before bed last night. First off, I got some weird interface juddering/stalling at the very beginning, but that could be because I hit apply to all 57 open job positions. It lasted about a minute or two of clicking about. The match engine definitely looks a little better, I've noticed some nice touches and control from my (crappy) players. The issue with the female created manager having her face be warped after you leave the editor seems to be sorted. The new interactions in the press conferences and team meetings are nice, and the questions seem to be more tailored, although I'm sure, as always, with a limited amount they'll get old eventually. The weekly staff meeting where your staff give you updates seems to be actually decent, even if I know it's not going to be for everyone. It takes you to parts of the game that are easily ignored if you don't allocate time for doing the "small" stuff and brings it right in front of you. The match engine also seems to simulate players being crap/tired a lot better. It doesn't feel as RNG/silly when they make mistakes but rather makes a little more sense based on what you've seen. I played one 0 - 0 draw, despite having a lot of shots, and I wasn't calling "bullshit!" Overall, for the graphics, if you've watched streams the detail you notice, or rather don't notice when it's not your team you're in charge of doesn't do justice to small touches in the match engine graphics.

Also, I don't know if it's just a change in how it's presented, but they seem to have really emphasized stamina and stamina management. They talked about those changes last year, so it could just be that they've found a better way of presenting it, but halfway through a short pre-season I'm worried that the trick of packing in friendlies to bring up team cohesion and match sharpness might not work out long term. It definitely feels like this is a year of stamina importance much like it took them a few years to really get the team cohesion/dynamics stuff to be really important, although stamina is presented in a much more accessible way.

All in all, everything, much like the match engine, feels smooth and has a good flow. I'll have to play a lot more to get an idea of how good it actually is. For anyone who's not into the "feel" of the manager simulation I don't think it's an immediate buy, at least not before the November 9th full release shows how the game will be long term. At this stage, from a quick look, it feels quite polished, and like it was a release about polishing things up and presenting things better rather than the massive underling match engine improvement from last year, apart from what I'm seeing with stamina. However, don't underestimate that. It looks like they've done a very good job on it. If you play a lot of FM I think this probably is worth buying, especially with the build-a-nation change. If you just dabble with FM wait for Gamepass.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mrenda posted:

Also, I don't know if it's just a change in how it's presented, but they seem to have really emphasized stamina and stamina management. They talked about those changes last year, so it could just be that they've found a better way of presenting it, but halfway through a short pre-season I'm worried that the trick of packing in friendlies to bring up team cohesion and match sharpness might not work out long term.

It's literally identical to FM21. Play 6-8 friendlies with a high intensity tactic, match preview & review every game (always hire a performance analyst), team bonding and teamwork sessions every week.

You won't gain any meaningful amount of fatigue in a short preseason. The tooltips even say fatigue in preseason is good long-term (never believe their lies, though). Just keep an eye on minutes and distance run during periods of heavy fixture congestion, and don't do 'extra' training every day. Rest is one of the most important sessions to schedule.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

sassassin posted:

It's literally identical to FM21. Play 6-8 friendlies with a high intensity tactic, match preview & review every game (always hire a performance analyst), team bonding and teamwork sessions every week.

You won't gain any meaningful amount of fatigue in a short preseason. The tooltips even say fatigue in preseason is good long-term (never believe their lies, though). Just keep an eye on minutes and distance run during periods of heavy fixture congestion, and don't do 'extra' training every day. Rest is one of the most important sessions to schedule.

Could be this is a semi-pro team, which I haven't managed in a long time. So not only are they not able to train/recover enough, they're also useless.

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Mans posted:

For mods i either use the sports interactive forum or fmscout

Here's an example of a very decent mod that basically creates working leagues for virtually every nation on earth. Do you want to play on Syria's third division? How about Liberia? On a more serious level, this is a really decent mod since it creates working leagues for African leagues, which are a massive gaping hole on FM currently.
https://community.sigames.com/forums/topic/550750-fm21-around-the-globe-megapack-by-davetheeditor-66/

You can pick and choose which leagues to use of course. These can be a bit barebones for very understanding reasons, but they also have some truly spectacular league mods if you want something more detailed (including a USA league system that turns the MLS into a conventional european style league instead of the crazy confusing mess that it is right now).

Wow thanks for these links!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mrenda posted:

Could be this is a semi-pro team, which I haven't managed in a long time. So not only are they not able to train/recover enough, they're also useless.

I think if you don't leave any training time at all between games it's harder to gain sharpness, so being semi-pro may well make things harder/slower. I haven't managed below professional level in years. Maybe a Welsh Prem save this year.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
How is Touch looking? I miss the days where I played tonnes of FM around the time they moved to the 3D engine.

I bought FM20 Touch a while back and played a bit but couldn’t really get my head around the tactics, guess the thread titles applies.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

sassassin posted:

I think if you don't leave any training time at all between games it's harder to gain sharpness, so being semi-pro may well make things harder/slower. I haven't managed below professional level in years. Maybe a Welsh Prem save this year.

Yeah, I think it was a match sharpness thing. Once I got them up a bit they're lasting most of a match, when it was pre-season, and when someone comes into the team from a low status, they're lucky to make it to the second half. Sometimes, however, all the players are absolutely shagged by the end of the match, and there's nothing telling me why. The last time it happened I was playing a five-at-the-back team so I think my team were just trying so much to break them down.

I'm managing in the Welsh Prem for my save. Cefn Druids, as I think the season starts with them without a manager. They're refusing to let me get my badges so my hopes of getting out of here as quickly as possible might not work out. It does help a little that I don't particularly care about them other than getting a better job.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mrenda posted:

Yeah, I think it was a match sharpness thing. Once I got them up a bit they're lasting most of a match, when it was pre-season, and when someone comes into the team from a low status, they're lucky to make it to the second half. Sometimes, however, all the players are absolutely shagged by the end of the match, and there's nothing telling me why. The last time it happened I was playing a five-at-the-back team so I think my team were just trying so much to break them down.

I'm managing in the Welsh Prem for my save. Cefn Druids, as I think the season starts with them without a manager. They're refusing to let me get my badges so my hopes of getting out of here as quickly as possible might not work out. It does help a little that I don't particularly care about them other than getting a better job.

Worst team in the league, good choice. Aberystwyth are my Welsh leagues team (went to uni there and used to train in the astroturf cage behind the stand), similarly awful this season.

For now though I've started in Sweden's second tier with GIF Sundsvall. June start date, they're 10 games into the season and in the relegation zone despite being favourites to go up. Minimum objective is still playoffs. Got to make up a 10 point deficit within the remaining 20 games.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

sassassin posted:

Worst team in the league, good choice. Aberystwyth are my Welsh leagues team (went to uni there and used to train in the astroturf cage behind the stand), similarly awful this season.

For now though I've started in Sweden's second tier with GIF Sundsvall. June start date, they're 10 games into the season and in the relegation zone despite being favourites to go up. Minimum objective is still playoffs. Got to make up a 10 point deficit within the remaining 20 games.

Yeah, I took Druids because I hit "apply to all" for every open manager position when the game loaded. I didn't want to go to Turkey, the Russian team turned me down, so apart from spending a few months waiting for other positions to open up it was Cefn Druids.

The board want mid-table, which is achievable if you know FM (get a few wins at the start of the season, etc.) but they absolutely do not have a team for it. With the players I started with and a wage budget almost maxed out I don't seem to have a choice but to play a 4-2-3-1 or something similar. I could play a 4-1-3-2 or 4-2-3-1, but I don't think they have the skill to manufacture goals unless they have a lot of people forward. So, basically, I've got them playing a slow, methodical, passing game that you'd play with a top team, fudging it with crap plyers, and just hope the other team are shite.

I'm absolutely hosed now, though. All the players outside the starting 11 were even worse than rubbish, and now I'm getting injuries from relying so much on the first team. Plus, I don't even have the budget to pay loan player wages. On top of that, even teams in the regional Welsh divisions are more attractive to players than our Welsh Premiership club. Druids seem absolutely lunatic, with a board out-of-their-depth, and if I can get them a reasonable position in Season 1, I'll not be renewing my contract.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

A fair start. Already the gap to 3rd is down to 5 points. The draws meant morale wasn't destroyed, so all I had to do was add some width to their play (a narrow 4-4-2 diamond is not going to work for a team predicted to come 2nd).

Mrenda posted:

The board want mid-table, which is achievable if you know FM (get a few wins at the start of the season, etc.) but they absolutely do not have a team for it. With the players I started with and a wage budget almost maxed out I don't seem to have a choice but to play a 4-2-3-1 or something similar. I could play a 4-1-3-2 or 4-2-3-1, but I don't think they have the skill to manufacture goals unless they have a lot of people forward. So, basically, I've got them playing a slow, methodical, passing game that you'd play with a top team, fudging it with crap plyers, and just hope the other team are shite.

Two up front is always a strong option for teams expected to do poorly. Even terrible strikers can produce when left 2v2 with space in behind.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Moving to the 22 beta from 19, I am emphatically not a fan of this tactics screen. I'll get used to it eventually I guess, but it's a definite downgrade.

wtf is the significance of all these gestures in team talks, meetings etc? Can I just ignore them?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yes.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Okay, good! :-)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
There are two uses of gestures.

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Despite starting 10 points behind 3rd with 20 games to play, I finished 10 points clear at the top. 18 wins 2 draws. No one could stop me because 1) I was "underperforming" by league position at the midway point where teams rethink their relative reputations and change tactics, and 2) my strikers were the two best players in the division, at least until the 32 year old lost 2 Pace in 5 months in the standard savage physical decline.

Board keeping me waiting on authorisation to scout outside the Scandinavian poverty leagues. Need some Bundesliga loans for the Premier Division campaign.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I finished my first season with Cefn Druids. Despite not meeting expectations in the cup competitions (some unlucky team draws) I took them to third in the Welsh Premiership, clear ahead of the next by seven points, qualifying them for the crappy European qualifying path.

The board offered me a new contract some time mid-March, I said, "Nah!" They asked what they could spend the money on. I said, "Go pro." They laughed at me. Which is the point. No ambition and nowhere to go with Welsh management.

They had an absolute superb youth intake, which is the only thing that could see me staying there, but that'd mean committing for at least two years, probably three, despite one, maybe two of them being better than our second best starting midfielder. The problem is the wage budget is absolute rubbish. I pushed it over this year signing players that were part of us doing well, but could only get them to the end of the season. I tried to renew their contracts and couldn't offer them enough, so we have holes across our defense, and our AML/AMR are falling off in performance hugely, meaning we'll need some new faces there, plus our striker has been useless.

They eventually agreed to let me do my coaching badge, so I should be up to the mid-tier National Level before my contract is up (I don't think you have to stick with/be with a club to complete the badge once you've started.) Still, I don't think that pitiful board sop is enough to keep me here. They're in for a disaster next year with guys leaving and performances dipping, with their wage budget being absolutely nowhere near what's needed to maintain a top-3 position.

I think I let my contract run out, then start getting familiar with some of the lower leagues in the big nations, or higher leagues in small nations where they are fully pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You should view your contract the way players do theirs: its only meaning is that when you jump to a better team they have to pay your old team a fee, which isn't your problem.