Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The venn diagram of 'people complaining that wearing a mask is a huge imposition' and 'people who say suck it up snowflake' is a perfect circle.

Thats probably not a venn diagram but I havent got a clue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

The big moment for me was a few years ago. I used to watch shows like Designated Survivor and Mr. Robot. Shows that were big on "there is a super secret conspiracy of all powerful geniuses who control the world. These Sphinxes manipulate the world and they can only be fought be people just as smart as them!" Theme.

Then Brexit and Trump happened and it became obvious that no, it is not the Illuminati in charge. Just the Idiotati.
I mean even Mr. Robot had to stop at the start of Season 3 and say...."yes Trump and Brexit happened. But actually it was a genius 4 dimensional chess move. Not proof of random chaos."
With Mr Robot I actually just embraced that, because the idea of this secretive cabal that controls everything recognising the possibilities that can emerge with Trump or Brexit is something that I can make sense of.

The funniest cultural casualty of Trump though is House of Cards. That show was dead the second Trump got elected, because how can you take a show about this Machiavellian schemer seriously when the Presidency was just won by a camp reality TV star who woke up one day, stuffed his face with a McDonalds breakfast and while taking a poo poo thought to himself "yeah why don't I run for high office".

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Danger - Octopus! posted:

My cynical view was that the people in government do not want to wear masks themselves because they've lived lives free of rules and personal inconvenience, and masks are a thing they can be caught not wearing so they hate the idea of them being mandatory because then irritating political opponents will call them out on it when they don't

Remember when Michael Gove was spotted coming out of a Pret without a mask and instead of going "Oops, my mistake, sorry" and maybe even making an ostentatious donation to Captain Tom or some poo poo, they instead hurriedly changed the rules to "You don't need to wear a mask if you're buying takeaway food"? That, for me, summed up everything about what's wrong with the government and, more particularly, the media. None of these pricks takes any of this seriously, it's all one big game to them.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Gorn Myson posted:

The funniest cultural casualty of Trump though is House of Cards.

Was it not more spacey being a huge sexual predator?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Was it not more spacey being a huge sexual predator?

The show got really bad a year or two before that all came out. So a bit of column A and a bit of column B.

I'm surprised Veep managed to stay relatively good after Trump and Brexit hit.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

oxford_town posted:

e: 89 is the ISBN group identifier for books published in South Korea.

have any MPs of any party been seriously ill with covid?

I don't think private hospitals are really touching any covid care (far better to keep as a 'clean' site and churn through elective operations, which are the main moneymaker).

The bigger factor is probably that MPs, as a whole, are affulent people in generally good physical health who don't live in overcrowded, multigenerational households.

Johnson got in and out of ITU very quickly but that was probably overcaution - nobody wants to have the prime minister die on their watch, regardless of who it is.
If I worked for the NHS and had a Tory MP dumped on me, I'd resign just so I don't have to live with the knowledge of having kept one of those assholes alive to ruin more people's lives.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Later seasons of Veep got real bad too.

I remember there's one ep where a plot point is that the americans accidentally droned a civilian target and now they might get sent to the hague for war crimes

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Back at the start of the pandemic, when news from across Europe was horrifying and we knew we were at the start of the scary unknown, people were OK with restrictions. Now we're a year and a half in, the majority of people are vaccinated, and lots of people don't know anyone who has died or even been seriously ill with Covid. They are lucky, and their luck may well change, but for most people the odds will continue to be in their favour.

Lady Demelza fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 21, 2021

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If nothing else the last two years have convinced me climate change is never, ever getting fixed. Fixing it is going to require a lot more inconvenience than wearing a mask and not demanding the entire country travel at the exact same times 5 times a week, and we're not willing to do that while to bodies are visibly piling up.

I take great solace in the fact that it's actually far too late to fix climate change, it was too late 20 years ago, and it'll kill us all, and the rich and powerful are coming with us :smug:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

theres probably gonna be humans AND rich people around 10,000 years from now

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/RespectIsVital/status/1451300469452722178

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Big "glorious victories moving ever closer to the capital" energy.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
gently caress i don't want to have to learn the new lyrics for God Save The Queen, too much effort

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I never learned the old ones.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CGI Stardust posted:

gently caress i don't want to have to learn the new lyrics for God Save The Queen, too much effort

We should really get an entirely new anthem when a monarch dies. Like with the Jojo's Bizarre Adventure opening tracks.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Communist Thoughts posted:

I remember there's one ep where a plot point is that the americans accidentally droned a civilian target and now they might get sent to the hague for war crimes
Lol, I think it's literally US law that if an American ever ends up heading for trial at The Hague they'll send Seal Teams 1-23 to get them out.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

isn't she glorious?
hnnn nnn nnn nnnnorious
da da da daaa dada
god save our queen!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think I might actually know more words to the american version than god save the queen.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I for one do not feel the need to post happily about the potential death of an old lady, whoever she might be.

until twisto posts about a weird helicopter its all bullshit anyway

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Dog, shave the Queen

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Initially read that as “government warned”, but when I realised it was ”warns” jfc oc

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

quote:

The Queen spent Wednesday night in hospital for preliminary medical checks and is now back at Windsor Castle "in good spirits",

better to use formaldehyde but ok

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/kimpossiblefact/status/1451303316919500805

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
If she dies before poppymas I think this country might be in store for a degree of poppy frenzy the likes of which it has never before seen. There will be life-size, nay, collosus of rhodes -sized effigies of the queen made entirely out of poppies, paraded up and down the country for people to sob uncontrollably at, emerging from their homes in the finest clothes but immediately getting them dirty as they fall to their knees in the gutter, hands trembling as they grasp a pot and a pan, yet unable to bang them for the grief has struck them down

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Communist Thoughts posted:

I don't get why this is a bad plot point for a show like Veep to have. :shrug:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I think I might actually know more words to the american version than god save the queen.
My country, tis' of thee,
Sweet land of liberty
Of thee I sing.
Thy choiciest gifts in store
Pour them all over her
Something something

Huge birds steal our sons
This is all Scotland's fault
My ding a ling
God save the England team
God save the backside beans
Save all of the lyrics sheets
There's six verse more

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

stev posted:

I don't get why this is a bad plot point for a show like Veep to have. :shrug:

coz its a completely uncynical view of america
to me it marked the point where the show jumped the shark and ianuccis influence had vanished entirely

america constantly bombs civilians as a matter of policy and nobody give a poo poo.
the idea of the PRESIDENT OF AMERICA being panicked about war crimes and having to hide over a single drone bombing is complete naive fantasy that supports the idea that:
A) its an unusual event B) that america abides by international law C) international law even attempts to meaningfully constrain america

when you compare that to the utterly black comedy reality of america drone bombing its own allies, some kids and charity workers during the afghanistan withdrawal as an attempt to save face with no apology, it just looks extremely out of touch

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Lol if you don’t think that JRM IDS and their ilk aren’t loving the eugenics of it all. Boris isn’t even that thick, he’s notorious for it as well.

I’m not saying they planned it, but it sure does suit them to keep the cull going.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Today was the 55th anniversary of the Aberfan disaster when 116 children and 28 adults were killed when a coal-mining spoil heap slipped and engulfed the Pantglas Junior School just as morning registers were being taken. I was 6 at the time and attended a tiny Welsh primary school. We had visited parents' friends in the town just a few weeks before. A year or so later, we moved to a mining town. Our house was on the side of one coal tip, and my junior school across the valley on the side of another coal tip.

Lengthy wiki on the disaster and the aftermath, inquiry etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aberfan_disaster

quote:

At the time of the (50th) anniversary, Huw Edwards, the BBC News journalist and presenter, described the need to continue learning lessons from Aberfan; he wrote:

What we can do, however—in this week of the 50th anniversary—is try to focus the attention of many in Britain and beyond on the lessons of Aberfan, lessons which are still of profound relevance today. They touch on issues of public accountability, responsibility, competence and transparency.[179]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0HEXdKXSaY

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 21, 2021

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Today was the 55th anniversary of the Aberfan disaster when 116 children and 28 adults were killed when a coal-mining spoil heap slipped and engulfed the Pantglas Junior School just as morning registers were being taken. I was 6 at the time and attended a tiny Welsh primary school. We had visited parents' friends in the town just a few weeks before. A year or so later, we moved to a mining town. Our house was on the side of one coal tip, and my junior school across the valley on the side of another coal tip.

Oh yeah my mum said that this happened when she was a young'un and had no concept of how far Aberfan was from Bedford and was terrified it was gonna happen to her next.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I for one do not feel the need to post happily about the potential death of an old lady, whoever she might be.

until twisto posts about a weird helicopter its all bullshit anyway

Almost every truly momentous death happens while I'm away from the internet for some reason or another anyway. In fact the most likely indicator of her going will be a sudden weird silence from me because I'm somewhere with no phone reception or just generally doing something offline (I know, what a concept, right?). The incredible cacophony of missed calls, voice mails, texts and messenger notifications I got when I turned my phone on after a training day on 8/4/13 will probably be the last sound I remember on my death bed.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The incredible cacophony of missed calls, voice mails, texts and messenger notifications I got when I turned my phone on after a training day on 8/4/13 will probably be the last sound I remember on my death bed.

Yeah Filip Vujanović’s election as President of Montenegro was a wild time.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

OwlFancier posted:

I think if you look historically, human society is basically incapable of behaving proactively and is instead entirely reactive, it may theoretically be capable of acting in advance of a known problem but I think that would require a different form of societal organization.

Yeah I think this is pretty much one of the biggest problems we face as a species. Being proactive is simply not in our genes.

Also, because the problem is in the genes, I don't think any form of societal organisation can do very much about it either.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think I would say it is "genetic" especially as society-wide proactive behaviour is like, the definition of socially constructed.

Just because society has, on aggregate, been unable to demonstrate it hitherto doesn't mean it's biologically encoded any more than lovely gender norms are.

The question is better posed as "why and how does that happen and how can it be prevented" rather than "guess humans just have a bone in their brain that stops proactive behaviour"

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Folks. It's happening. The queen is going to die.

Long live King Charles III

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

u are down type 'thank gibbo and cheeksy' in chat

cyril sneeeer
May 3, 2021

by Pragmatica

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Even if they did, they'd be prescribed the good stuff without question - stuff like prednisone that they have to ration to the plebs, but Boris gets to mainline the highest dose possible.

few pages back but prednisalone gives you a phat face. I know cause i used to take it for RA. Does boris have an unusually fat face [y/n]?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Folks. It's happening. The queen is going to die.
There’s absolutely no way Brenda survives Boris’ prime ministership. Boris will wear a scruffy, ill-fitting suit and give a rambling, inappropriate speech about how much we all love the Queen. It’ll simultaneously be the most mawkish, gross, and embarrassing indictment of our disturbed national psyche while also making him a national treasure and personally bulletproof to any criticism at all for years.

The perfect way for this country to commemorate the final end of our international relevance in Hell Dimension. There’s no way the writers would pass up an opportunity like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

cyril sneeeer posted:

few pages back but prednisalone gives you a phat face. I know cause i used to take it for RA. Does boris have an unusually fat face [y/n]?

Fond memories of returning to boarding school after a hospital stay, 2 stone lighter and rake-thin, and being told I looked "healthy" because of my prednisolone-induced facial water retention

Really didn't help my acne either