Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
it was DOA when I learned there was something that could give you stat boosts and upgrading it could fail but never fear you can purchase the upgrade mats with irl money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

sailormoon posted:

Has anyone tried Dragon Quest X? The translation software is apparently pretty good now and Japan loves the game. I’m probably going to do the free trial later and would love to have some goonies to play with.

I'm playing now. I have probably thousands of hours in it tbh, but I just restarted after taking a break for a few years. Used to be a real PITA to get anything done with no translation (besides using your phone camera with a translation app), needing a VPN, and just generally not having a very large English community. Also just in general the game used to be way more difficult content wise. Pretty much all of that has changed.

Now you can set up all the translation stuff in like 10 mins and have about 90% of the game, and all the most important stuff, translated. Do note that the translation basically just pulls text from the game and runs it through google translate though, so some things still may not make a whole lot of sense.

If you do join, there are two English teams. The Dragon's Den team is the one that has been around since pretty much the beginning, probably a much smaller team at this point and everyone kind of knows each other. It always felt a bit like a clique of people who started the game together day 1, kind of felt like an outsider in that one. The newer one is the DQX worldwide team and it seems to have more players in general and more players newer to the game who you might actually be able to do stuff with.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Carmant posted:

Now you can set up all the translation stuff in like 10 mins and have about 90% of the game, and all the most important stuff, translated. Do note that the translation basically just pulls text from the game and runs it through google translate though, so some things still may not make a whole lot of sense.

This sounds potentially incredible based on my play through of tomato’s Google translated FF4

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I think you still need a VPN if you're not in Japan or the USA for DQX

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Yeah the no VPN thing only applies to the USA and Japan unfortunately.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

eonwe posted:

it was DOA when I learned there was something that could give you stat boosts and upgrading it could fail but never fear you can purchase the upgrade mats with irl money

yeah, i looked into it last night before i installed because game play looks super fun. the combat looks cool. but ughhhh the pay to win options are clearly not something i am going to be into. i rather pay a sub fee than dealing with paying for that kind of stuff

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sounds like TERA all over again, which I suppose shouldn't be a surprise.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Either the default graphics options are dumb or my computer can't even run it without having half the models on screen just be silhouettes so eh.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Was anyone actually expecting no pay to win or other horrendous choices (xigncode too)? I mean, once you toss in bluehole + kakao + asiasoft + krafton it's pretty much a given, and that it's only going to get worse.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
There was a beta several months ago before they decided it was going to be F2P and while there was additional gimme-money options, the model they marketed it under was pretty different. I enjoyed the beta, but I've been a sucker for the ability model since wildstar so I was basically the target audience.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Harrow posted:

Sounds like TERA all over again, which I suppose shouldn't be a surprise.

Doesn't Elyon reuse a bunch of TERA assets?

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
played Elyon for 3-4 hrs today and.. enjoyed it!
gonna continue to play more tomorrow

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MH Knights posted:

Doesn't Elyon reuse a bunch of TERA assets?

I mean probably but as long as the aesthetic matches (or specifically doesn't for contrast reasons) then it's a smart thing to do

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016
Still holding my breath for pantheon… maybe in 2025.

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007
It's fun to play, pvp is pretty good. They killed a ton of the p2w aspects that existed in the KR version, just mostly on the luminous system now which isn't hugely impactful current day. Could be a differentiator a thousand hours in.

theguybro
Dec 16, 2012

Don't hate the player, hate the game.
I think New World is one of the best games out. It provides an experience like no other game especially when you play where the goons do.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

theguybro posted:

I think New World is one of the best games out. It provides an experience like no other game especially when you play where the goons do.

lol you just got probated for melting down after you got called out for being transphobic...excuse me..pro science

lmao

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I never should've unbookmarked the New World thread :allears:

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Harrow posted:

It is a gift that keeps giving

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
should i buy a lost ark founders pack?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

eonwe posted:

lol you just got probated for melting down after you got called out for being transphobic...excuse me..pro science
Actually getting probated for his bullshit must be the "experience like no other"

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Harrow posted:

It's like a trashy tv show I can't stop watching.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
This is the dumb game i'm waiting for that will probably never come out: https://www.mankindreborn.com/

I'm sure some people in this thread played the original at the same time as me

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
who's mankin dre?

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

30.5 Days posted:

who's mankin dre?

Thats Mr. Born to you

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

30.5 Days posted:

who's mankin dre?
Where's mankin's wife?

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Lorem ipsum posted:

This is the dumb game i'm waiting for that will probably never come out: https://www.mankindreborn.com/

I'm sure some people in this thread played the original at the same time as me

I played a poo poo ton of fom back in the day. Ive been following the remake from a distance, I really hope they make a good project but I have a feeling it's going to be a buggy mess. I suppose a buggy mess would be equal to the previous two iterations at least.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

oh no https://massivelyop.com/2021/10/25/fallen-earth-classic-is-definitely-happening-soon-and-itll-be-free-to-play-to-boot/

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

what was the deal with that thing?

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
anyone playing Elyon? someone should make a thread or something (as long as it's not me)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I am a big supporter of posting the threads you want to see in the forum

Just post with a title of "elyon thread" and the OP can just say like "hey anyone playing elyon?" and smack that post button :v:

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
:justpost:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Fallen Earth may genuinely have been the jankiest MMO I ever played and I feel certain they won't properly revive it, but I kinda hope they do. I had a friend who was in one of the main PVP guilds - there were only like five - and it was one of the most absurd, buggy, poorly balanced, incredibly amusing PVP systems imaginable, where everyone drove around in these stupid Mad Max cars and used broken builds to plink at each other with very silly guns over resource deposits. FE was a fascinating idea that was never really properly built or maintained and there's still space out there for a proper post-apocalyptic MMO

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
is anyone following EverCraft Online? seems to be exactly what it sounds like.. a mashup of Everquest and Minecraft.

https://evercraftonline.com/

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

cmdrk posted:

is anyone following EverCraft Online? seems to be exactly what it sounds like.. a mashup of Everquest and Minecraft.

https://evercraftonline.com/

Yep. It's fun! Was thinking of starting a thread for it but it's still pretty NDA'ed.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Zam Wesell posted:

anyone playing Elyon? someone should make a thread or something (as long as it's not me)

No one is playing elyon

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Speaking of EverCraft Online, they did another stream today and are doing a part 2 of this on Thursday: https://twitch.tv/videos/1187626176

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I played Elyon for 30mins and felt like I'd seen all it has to offer. It's visually hard to parse and the combat feels way worse than Tera did even in the BAM lag days.

Kudos to them for finally decoupling race/gender/class though.

Numberwang!!!
Jul 24, 2019

kirbysuperstar posted:

I played Elyon for 30mins and felt like I'd seen all it has to offer. It's visually hard to parse and the combat feels way worse than Tera did even in the BAM lag days.

Kudos to them for finally decoupling race/gender/class though.

yeah it's definitely a huge pile of dog poo poo.

You get bombarded with like 20 different types of currency within the first few hours. Almost everything is time-locked behind energy/daily limits.

The pvp is horribly unbalanced. Some skills do like 5 to 10x more damage than other skills. All of the combat is insanely "floaty". I tried some 2v2 and 3v3 and the matches are usually over in the blink of an eye.

I guess the one positive I could give it is the leveling process can be kinda fun, if you enjoy games where the balance is completely thrown out the window. But once you get towards level 40, every negative feature about the game hits you like a ton of bricks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

Numberwang!!! posted:

I guess the one positive I could give it is the leveling process can be kinda fun, if you enjoy games where the balance is completely thrown out the window. But once you get towards level 40, every negative feature about the game hits you like a ton of bricks.

yeah, this is what i'm fearing. i mean, i see all the flaws, but for some weird reason (probably brain damage), i'm having fun so far ~11 hrs in.