Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If they're smart it'll be

season 1: book 1 mostly

season 2: book 2, maybe also book 3 depending on how much you condense and if you can use falme as a "mid season finale" type thing

season 3: book 4

season 4: book 5

Season 5: books 6 (combine 5 and 6 here if season 3 was book 3)

Season 6: book 7, 8, 9

season 7: book 11, 12

season 8: book 13, 14

Book 10 can just be a season finale or something, that's about all it needs really, and it definitely is finale material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Oh hey

https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/...ingawful.com%2F

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Glad they're kind of keeping the trollocs hidden a bit at least.

That recent Witcher trailer which just had Nivellen as the screenshot for the cover of the video was really annoying.

Also I think I might have just started re-reading the first book, again :facepalm:

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

El Grillo posted:

Glad they're kind of keeping the trollocs hidden a bit at least.

That recent Witcher trailer which just had Nivellen as the screenshot for the cover of the video was really annoying.

Also I think I might have just started re-reading the first book, again :facepalm:

I made it to book 10 where I umm paused my reread. Gotta get back to that since I'm almost to it picking up again.

Trollocs appear big and chimera-ish so that's encouraging. The Fade is not necessarily what I imagined, but is appropriately frightening and fitting for the description from the books imo.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1449049263132925958?s=20

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

guess they're going to go with saidin being black

can't really fault them for that considering it is a core visual symbol of the books and all

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Insert Lucille Bluth excited gif here.

Suddenly I'm glad they haven't been promoting this show for months. I need this show now.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I don't want to wait another dang month!

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

How are u posted:

I don't want to wait another dang month!

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-hpB0ndWUY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekLEKqf1KcM

:awesome:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

eke out posted:

guess they're going to go with saidin being black

I'm kinda curious on that, I notice in a shot or two it seems to start white and then turn black. Which is cool if I'm reading that right.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

secretly best girl posted:

I'm kinda curious on that, I notice in a shot or two it seems to start white and then turn black. Which is cool if I'm reading that right.

Yeah, I've seen that too, as have some of the YouTube WoT deep dive people. It's a nifty effect.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

secretly best girl posted:

oh i didn't notice that! that could be a good way of showing the taint for sure

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/thewheeloftime/status/1451654556601892864?s=21

Marketing is kicking it into high gear now. This is the first trailer I can remember actually going into the plot.

God dammit I need this show now.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1451344799957598209

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

For some reason, this tweet is the first time it all feels real. We’re actually getting a Wheel of Time show. Your average TV watcher is going to learn what an Aes Sedai is. What Tar Valon is. The door is opening to the whole world.

Holy poo poo. I have chills.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

…I’m gonna have to answer so many questions from my friends.

Oh, who am I kidding. I live for this poo poo.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

thrawn527 posted:

For some reason, this tweet is the first time it all feels real. We’re actually getting a Wheel of Time show. Your average TV watcher is going to learn what an Aes Sedai is. What Tar Valon is. The door is opening to the whole world.

It's loving crazy. I've been reading the books since 6th grade in the 90s. just surreal.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Barreft posted:

It's loving crazy. I've been reading the books since 6th grade in the 90s. just surreal.

Lol yep, I remember buying Crown of Swords new at the bookstore. Insanity.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Barreft posted:

I felt kinda the same way when the Lord of the Rings movies came out but that was different because there was always going to be a Lord of the Rings movie eventually, and people knew the Lord of the Rings *existed* .

This is different, more personal somehow. Everyone knew about Lord of the RIngs when I was a kid; there was Rankin-Bass Hobbit on television, etc.

Wheel of Time? Not so much. Wheel of Time is something I spent decades reading and mostly reading by myself.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 23, 2021

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

wheel of time is odd in that there's an absolutely insane fanbase that exists to the point where a dedicated entire track for it existed at dragoncon for years until they split off into their own separate event in atlanta as well but also at the same time it's not that much of a household name other than maybe the occasional joke about 'long book series lol' mostly from those who haven't read it. it started in the 90's so it hasn't had the headstart that something like lord of the rings did, but i feel like it was probably inevitable we'd get something adapting it that wasn't just someone squatting on the rights or, like, a weird and ancient fps game that's only tangentially related.

it's kind of surreal to see it have so much backing behind it, but ultimately they definitely picked a powerhouse to dump their money into if they're willing to follow through. it's getting a lot of comparisons to game of thrones in terms of the whole tv show aspect but at the very least this series is actually complete.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I just hope it does well. I don't want it to die on the vine half way through the series.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I’m really curious how much they are gonna adult it up. Like real swears instead of in universe ones not just potential nudity and the like. Yeah the books had that but it was never made a big deal or described in detail.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Johnny Joestar posted:

wheel of time is odd in that there's an absolutely insane fanbase that exists to the point where a dedicated entire track for it existed at dragoncon for years until they split off into their own separate event in atlanta as well but also at the same time it's not that much of a household name other than maybe the occasional joke about 'long book series lol' mostly from those who haven't read it. it started in the 90's so it hasn't had the headstart that something like lord of the rings did, but i feel like it was probably inevitable we'd get something adapting it that wasn't just someone squatting on the rights or, like, a weird and ancient fps game that's only tangentially related.

it's kind of surreal to see it have so much backing behind it, but ultimately they definitely picked a powerhouse to dump their money into if they're willing to follow through. it's getting a lot of comparisons to game of thrones in terms of the whole tv show aspect but at the very least this series is actually complete.

Game of Thrones I understood why it got big on HBO at least because HBO's formula was Tits and Drama so Tits and Drama and Dragons fit perfectly.

Wheel of Time though? It's not even R, it's like PG-13 at best. I thought HBO would never touch it because of the lack of incest and rape, and who else would be willing to dump the tens of millions such a show would need?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's true, wheel of time won't prominently feature siblings getting caught loving each other in episode 1(?), so people are going to have to temper their expectations

actually not sure how involved they'll get with some of the gore that's included at various points but it can get pretty gnarly

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Are they dropping this all at once or once a week?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Three on Nov 19 and then one a week until Dec 24

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Okay awesome. Prefer weekly drops.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's true, wheel of time won't prominently feature siblings getting caught loving each other in episode 1(?), so people are going to have to temper their expectations

actually not sure how involved they'll get with some of the gore that's included at various points but it can get pretty gnarly

I was hoping the show would play up the horror aspect and judging by the fade design, I'll be ok in that department

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
There's quite a bit of both rape and rape peril in WoT, it's just not graphically depicted on the page.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

GreenNight posted:

Okay awesome. Prefer weekly drops.

I didn't at first, but now I realize weekly drops make the series threads so much better.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I started reading this series when I was like 14, it's been part of my life for over 20 years. If this blows up like GoT it's gonna be so weird having my friends talk to me about Rand and Mat and Moiraine and everything :stare:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, there's just something to the "headline star helps along a new audience that hasn't read ten thousand pages (multiple times)" presentation. We doing this. It's happening. It's happening.

Not sure any of my friends are going to be watching or asking me questions, though. Looking forward to meeting random strangers (potential new friends!) and making smalltalk, and the first time someone else brings up the series first. Need to figure out how I want to play that one.

"Do you know The Wheel of Time?"
"I'm familiar with it."

vs.

"Have you heard of The Wheel of Time?"
"I'm on my fifth complete reread."
(I think I'm actually only on my fourth?)

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Trollocs, Fade, and Logain all look exactly like they should. this is gonna be rad

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Yeah goddamn I'm so hype for this. I sorta still expect this to be clunky in terms of pacing overall, due to how hard it must be to adapt a ridiculously long book series, but just seeing the world being brought to life is so cool.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
0_0 that Moiraine trailer has some major spoilers in it.
Shouldn't be surprised given how most trailers are, but I still am a bit.

Can't believe it's less than a month till we see this, it's going to be surreal.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I have only, and will only, read the series once but I'm still excited. Hope it holds up for you all though :v:

Maybe if the series kicks serious rear end I'll reread it, but...

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
I think the last book I read is Path of Daggers when it came out and I'm ok with finishing this series through the show hopefully.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Sab669 posted:

I have only, and will only, read the series once but I'm still excited. Hope it holds up for you all though :v:

Maybe if the series kicks serious rear end I'll reread it, but...

oh i don't think i could ever re-read these books, as much as i liked them at the time. i tried once and didn't even finish book 1.

in general i'm not a big re-reader though. in the case of these books, my tastes were vastly different when they came out. i would get very annoyed at the prose now, probably haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Simone Magus posted:

oh i don't think i could ever re-read these books, as much as i liked them at the time. i tried once and didn't even finish book 1.

in general i'm not a big re-reader though. in the case of these books, my tastes were vastly different when they came out. i would get very annoyed at the prose now, probably haha

What got me to go through the series again, and which I think broke my brain in some way (so that I am now entirely obsessed with the series), was hearing that the audiobooks were good and the COVID-19 pandemic. March/April 2020, I didn't want to listen to any of my regular podcasts talking about current events, but really wanted something to listen to, so I tried The Wheel of Time audiobooks. They're pretty great, but I know not everyone likes the format.