Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
He was a great Stilgar. Stole the scenes he was in

Edit: chani is an extreme non-character in this which is really my only complaint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Javi B was good as usual but I wouldn't go crazy, he was in the movie for like 90 seconds

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Javier’s Stilgar was good, I thought everyone was even Momoa. I do think him going beardless near the end was a mistake tho. Keep that bushy beard!

Also wouldnt the laser from the hark ship that was trying to hit Duncan’s thopter blow them up too if it connected with the shields?

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
They never address the shield/lasgun reaction in the movie and focused on the shields just being bad because of worms. I really enjoyed the movie's take on the surprise attack too. I wasn't sure if we were gonna get the Baron's artillery bombardment thing or not, so they handled it all well

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Bloop posted:

she gives menses to the dead

Lincoln posted:

I touched the gift!

You see this box?

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Stilgar with a heavy Spanish accent was unintentionally funny, I didn't think he was all that great.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dune inspired drinks to sneak into the theater?

Tequila with a worm?
Spiced rum?

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

In line to claim tickets kiiiinda wishing I had a stillsuit with all these unmasked motherfuckers

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

kiimo posted:

Tequila with a worm?
Spiced rum?

Water of life. Everclear and blue Gatorade in an Erlenmeyer flask

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
GUESS WHAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrchfeybHmw&t=18s

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

skasion posted:

Water of life. Everclear and blue Gatorade in an Erlenmeyer flask

This but also a bunch of cinnamon extract.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

kiimo posted:

Tequila with a worm?
Spiced rum?

Body-temperature filtered sweat in a Camelbak for true authenticity

Squished Mouse (grenadine & sangria) in a juice box for that Lynchian throwback

Timothée Thirst Trap (18 year old Scotch) for any cougars in the audience

The Gom Jabbar (Everclear with a Jaegermeister infusion)

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Uurggh I tried so hard to read this whole thread before the movie came out Anyways I got to page 420 do y'all think I should read the books or watch the Lynch movie before I see DUNC?

lol jk I've read all six Dune novels multiple times and I'm currently sitting in an IMAX theater waiting for DUNC to start. Talk to y'all about it soon when I actually finish the thread

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
I have decided to watch this at home, gonna do it tonight after I finish building some furniture and get baked.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

kiimo posted:

Tequila with a worm?
Spiced rum?

I know I posted about it ITT a few times already, but the 'Chai Hulud' shot I came up with is basically just equal parts Kahlua (or some other coffee liquer) and Bolthouse Farms Vanilla Chai drink, with a tiny bit of blue curaçao at the bottom and a shaving of cinnamon on top. It's surprisingly good.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Have any of you watched from home ? Still good ?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

euphronius posted:

Definitely miss out on the sound, especially with THE VOICE.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I have avoided this thread for fear of spoilers, but now I am at the theater. I will see you on the other side.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
"A trusted and proven inside source for Giant Freakin Robot has now shared with us that Warner Bros has greenlit Dune 2."

Laff @ trusted and proved, more like making stuff up and hopes it is true.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Soul Dentist posted:

Uurggh I tried so hard to read this whole thread before the movie came out Anyways I got to page 420 do y'all think I should read the books or watch the Lynch movie before I see DUNC?

lol jk I've read all six Dune novels multiple times and I'm currently sitting in an IMAX theater waiting for DUNC to start. Talk to y'all about it soon when I actually finish the thread

Unironically, this. I haven't read the books in over 2 decades, I remember the bare bones minimum of the plot. Should I read at least the first again, to pick the movie apart? Or, would it help me enjoy it? I'm pretty psyched about seeing it either way.
Also, I vaguely remember the 80s version. And that miniseries that was on.. some channel at some point.

In my adventures, I also read Doon :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Lampoon%27s_Doon

Lol. It was something about pretzels and .. beer?

Also this "Pall (now head of House Agamemnides)"

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The film extremely skimps on the politics of the first book, which have helped elevate it for so long. Do yourself a favor and reread the book.

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate
Saw it. Loved it.

It needed far more bagpipes during Gurney's charge, the score just crushed it. And the play on how the visions work, with Jamis in the visions saying he'll teach Paul the ways of the desert, and he ultimately does but not how you'd think. Really great.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

euphronius posted:

Well, HBO Max just crashed on me half-way through and it's not reloading (despite my connection otherwise being OK). So, it's been kind of sub-optimal as a viewing experience.

That said, movie's great so far!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So I guess no Part 2

That stinks

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
Just watched it.

movie good. very faithful to the books, almost to a fault. the changes they made are mostly cosmetic. they strip back on a fair bit of the politicking and everyone's favorite dinner scene is cut. it loses a lot of the more... baroque weirdness of the Lynch version and substitutes it for a weird sort of brutalism, but Lynch is Lynch and can't really be imitated imo. The weirdness is there, but it's more a grounded sort. The Lynch version is still #1 in my heart, but this is the most textually faithful adaptation yet, and I really want at least Messiah filmed. God Emperor is the moonshot scenario

also was it just me or were some of the refinery scenes and the over all look of the vehicles very reminiscent of the RTS games?

I wish Deakins had been DP on this one, he could have made the desert into more of it's own character, but movie still kicks tremendous amounts of rear end.

God Emperor movie or bust.

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011
Movie was great and I got to explain a bunch of nerd lore to my fiancé on the way home. She enjoyed it too so I guess it passes the general audience test.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Can somebody please say at what point the film ends? I’ve been wondering where they were going to choose to break it in two

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

magic cactus posted:

also was it just me or were some of the refinery scenes and the over all look of the vehicles very reminiscent of the RTS games?

Yes it made me want to play a new game very badly.

MrMojok posted:

Can somebody please say at what point the film ends? I’ve been wondering where they were going to choose to break it in two

Right after Paul kills Jamis.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

MrMojok posted:

It ends right after paul kills jamis.

Just saw, I liked it. Seeing the ornithopters was actually maybe my favorite part. They were very rad.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
In a fancy theater laid all the way the gently caress down. Ready.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

As a fan of the book, this movie loves the loving book

A lot

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Ultimately I think the movie's problem is that the main animating impulse was being faithful to the book and making it look and sound really cool while flowing like a movie should, with surprisingly little other motivation. That makes it not a disaster, but not really an adaptation that builds off of or furthers or deepens the original thing either

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I loved it, but it seems like every book-accurate dialog scene that was in the 1984 version but was cut from this one was replaced with an action scene. I get that's how you sell it to a general audience, but I hope there's a director's cut somewhere.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

This is why Denis Villeneuve is the best director around - he loving did it. He made a Dune movie and it made sense and it was great ahhhhhh loving go see it it's amazing.

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

not adding value on SA one post at a time

euphronius posted:

Watched it home and liked it. Will probably see it again at a drive in tomorrow

Randal fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 22, 2021

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

No Mods No Masters posted:

Ultimately I think the movie's problem is that the main animating impulse was being faithful to the book and making it look and sound really cool while flowing like a movie should, with surprisingly little other motivation. That makes it not a disaster, but not really an adaptation that builds off of or furthers or deepens the original thing either

It absolutely makes the Dune story seem more action-packed then perhaps imagined when reading which is something dune 1984 did not manage to do.

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 22, 2021

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008
Saw it. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Seriously immersive. I give it ten bags of popcorn.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

blight rhino posted:

Unironically, this. I haven't read the books in over 2 decades, I remember the bare bones minimum of the plot. Should I read at least the first again, to pick the movie apart? Or, would it help me enjoy it? I'm pretty psyched about seeing it either way.
Also, I vaguely remember the 80s version. And that miniseries that was on.. some channel at some point.

In my adventures, I also read Doon :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Lampoon%27s_Doon

Lol. It was something about pretzels and .. beer?

Also this "Pall (now head of House Agamemnides)"

doon is actually p funny, it skewers his literary mannerisms really well, the laboured jokes about beer and pretzels are a bit w/e but if you can find a copy it's worth a read.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

It absolutely makes the Dune story seem more action-packed then perhaps imagined when reading which is something dune 1984 did not manage to do.

Sure. Much as I respect the crazy poo poo in lynch dune, this felt like a complete, coherent movie unlike lynch dune. It just doesn't have that special 'elevated by the adaptation' quality to me eg the lotr films do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Saw the movie and loved it. It doesn't have the tangible weirdness of Lynch's movie, but the art direction of the movie combined with the added details spiderhands, secondus sarduaker sacrifices IMO felt truer to the overall weirdness of the books. Replacing some of the dialogue scenes with action scenes feels extravagant, because who cares about runtime, but it doesn't feel forced. Only real complaint Zendaya Dove commercial interludes. Chani is an accomplished Fremen. Why not show her doing something?
Dune is its own weird-rear end science fiction entity, and this movie does a fantastic job of establishing a new and specific visual design language for it. Genuinely enjoyed the movie and can't wait for more.

where da weirding modules at. Lynch is right - space kung-fu is going to look weird on screen