Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

thetoughestbean posted:

That’s not really British food though, is it? Would you say that enchiladas are American food?

:thejoke:

docbeard posted:

I once saw someone try to argue that burritos were invented in California.

The modern burrito actually was (as opposed to just using a tortilla as a scoop or loose wrap)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
California, famous for having only white anglos.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

docbeard posted:

I once saw someone try to argue that burritos were invented in California.

Were they thinking of Mission-style burritos? Those may have been invented in the San Franciso area, but it's also just a bigger burrito

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's derived from a mayan dish and the modern form is from Juarez/El Paso. The first famous restaurant was in LA.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

nurmie posted:

counterpoint: british food is good (mostly), but Cadbury chocolate is bad

This is a good take. Thornton's is so, so many leagues ahead of Cadbury. Although they've been getting worse recently

But also say what you mean:

- The Scottish and the English have bad food

Do you know what the Irish, or the Welsh eat?? No?? Then dont slag em off aye!

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

The Scottish, not the English, invented Haggis, Battered Mars Bars, etc.

And basically all the bad food (think of Kay's Cooking) pics come from England.

Wales has like, soup. Sometimes lamb soup. And tiny little "welshcakes" that are difficult to find a proper version of outside of Wales, I think(?). Uhhh. The Irish have potatoes but like they really know how ta cook em

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

alexandriao posted:

This is a good take. Thornton's is so, so many leagues ahead of Cadbury. Although they've been getting worse recently

But also say what you mean:

- The Scottish and the English have bad food

Do you know what the Irish, or the Welsh eat?? No?? Then dont slag em off aye!

Eh, its probably the same as the English and Scottish, just badly spelled.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

alexandriao posted:

The Scottish, not the English, invented Haggis, Battered Mars Bars, etc.

The Scottish also invented fried chicken as we know it today

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Everything good to come from the UK was from Scotland, Wales, or N. Ireland. England itself has done nothing of value.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Elissimpark posted:

We recently found a soup powder (I think its a Knorr's product) that is ostensibly chicken stock with onion and garlic flavours, but is actually just chicken flavoured MSG.

Needless to say, it is delicious.

Marco Pierre White nods sagely in your direction

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Everything good to come from the UK was from Scotland, Wales, or N. Ireland. England itself has done nothing of value.

I like their full breakfast. It’s no 2+2+2, but it’s ok.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's kinda gross imo. The english individually are alright but they can't even do breakfast right.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I honestly feel bad for the English because they have to pretend tea is better than coffee. Can you imagine how emotionally draining that must be for them?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I don't like tea or coffee.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I love coffee, I love tea.
I love the java jive and it loves me

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I was born and raised in the south and don't like tea of any kind - sweet, unsweet, hot, cold. In these parts I'm considered an apostate.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 00:57 on Oct 22, 2021

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Sweet tea is good once in a while and iced tea is good but I never really seek them out or order it at restaurants. It is pretty refreshing on really hot days but usually if i have a choice I'd rather just have some water or diet coke.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Just water or beer. Everything else is too hot and isn't actually refreshing.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Twinings Irish breakfast tea > all. I don't know if there's a such thing as "real" Irish breakfast tea, hence the branding in my comment.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I was born and raised in the south and don't like tea of any kid - sweet, unsweet, hot, cold. In these parts I'm considered an apostate.

I don't like tea of any kid either. :chloe:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My partner and her family slam vodka straight and seem to find it refreshing. In amounts that make me want to vomit just thinking about it.

Josef bugman posted:

Just water or beer. Everything else is too hot and isn't actually refreshing.

Stop microwaving your vodka

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I don't like hot tea, but love iced tea. I love hot coffee, but hate iced coffee.

I also like my coffee with chicory in it. And brandy. Spanish coffee is the superior choice to Irish coffee.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

vodka tastes like drain cleaner smells

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Muscle Tracer posted:

Get better glasses

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Gaius Marius posted:

Marco Pierre White nods sagely in your direction

Marco Pierre White corners me in the kitchen with a paring knife - sobbing uncontrollably, I add another tablespoon of Knorr's chicken stock to the pot on the hob.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I tried Malort for the first time recently. Now THAT tastes like some sort of household cleaner.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I accidentally drank bleach once and it was frankly easier on the mouth than liquor. I mean I spit it out, I don't recommend it, but it tasted almost exactly how it smells. My assumption was that it would burn or something. Nope. It feels less gross than taking a big swig of soda.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I accidentally drank bleach once

Explain

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Can't say I've tried bleach, but when I clean my bathroom I can't be bothered with diluting it and just splash it around like i'm cleaning a murder scene. It definitely hurts to breathe. More than once I had to leave the room and painfully wheeze for non-bleach-breath. The way I see it though, that's how you know it's working.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Muscle Tracer posted:

I've heard the most outrageous news out of Russia possible; that the younger generations now consider vodka to be a 'boomer drink' and prefer other alcohol.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

I fell asleep on the couch after cleaning up for one of our cats being sick, then woke up and the bleach and my water were both right there. I got thirsty and in my sleepy haze, made the wrong choice.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

I feel like it does tbh

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Can't say I've tried bleach, but when I clean my bathroom I can't be bothered with diluting it and just splash it around like i'm cleaning a murder scene. It definitely hurts to breathe. More than once I had to leave the room and painfully wheeze for non-bleach-breath. The way I see it though, that's how you know it's working.

Be careful I know a guy that actually died from doing this. He accidentally mixed some cleaner with ammonia in with all the bleach and the resulting chlorine gas burned his lungs out.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
All alcohol tastes bad. If you think otherwise you're brainwashed and a buffooon

Alcohol exists and is good so we can drug ourselves in the open

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I never got how people say that vodka tastes like nothing

No, it tastes like ethanol which has a very distinct taste. I chalk it up to problem alcoholism, like the people who have convinced themselves they're fooling anyone with the "lemon water" in their water bottle or that their breath smells normal

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I always figured people meant it doesn’t add any flavors to a mixed drink. Like a vodka soda after a minute or so just tastes like drinking slightly tingly fizzy water.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Robobot posted:

Like a vodka soda after a minute or so just tastes like drinking slightly tingly fizzy water.

Making it the perfect alcohol

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Local Weather posted:

Be careful I know a guy that actually died from doing this. He accidentally mixed some cleaner with ammonia in with all the bleach and the resulting chlorine gas burned his lungs out.

Also dont use bleach around urine or used kitty litter. While there isn't much ammonia in pee, it can still cause damage that adds up.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

alexandriao posted:

Get better glasses

this post aged EXTREMELY well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Manager Hoyden posted:

I never got how people say that vodka tastes like nothing

No, it tastes like ethanol which has a very distinct taste. I chalk it up to problem alcoholism, like the people who have convinced themselves they're fooling anyone with the "lemon water" in their water bottle or that their breath smells normal

I think it's just one of those things that became a saying despite not being accurate. My taste buds aren't in the greatest shape and even I can usually taste the difference between brands. It might be hard to do a blind taste test and tell which is which, but they usually have at least some distinct flavor/aftertaste that sets them apart from each other.