Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MyushiVerSCOOTY
Jan 22, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

I thought I remember Adam expressing some surprise they were uninfected.

But the security locks aspect of fusion was always sort of amusing given the X's seeming ability to fly through walls/doors otherwise. I guess Samus' ship being sealed/safe isn't unreasonable, but it does bring the question that is it possible to make suits that are X resistant?

It seems likely that the Federation used those guys to test the Metroid Vaccine. That would explain why they were on the BSL station, when all the other critters were from sr388.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

But the security locks aspect of fusion was always sort of amusing given the X's seeming ability to fly through walls/doors otherwise.

I've just always assumed that was a gameplay construct. They're described as gelatinous, which means they can probably fit through small spaces but not actually phase through walls. Note that any time it's relevant how an X got somewhere, there's an explanation involving security locks being opened, or is the final Core-X, which we see explicitly travel through a passageway Samus blasted open at the start of the game.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

One of the things I liked during the course of the game was just how well the game showed how more powerful you got.

The first Chozo X and Chozrobo fights sucked and I hated them. And I really hated the quick turn around for a refight.

Then the third time (where it was the 2 robot fight) and the room was open so there was room to play and you got several upgrades in the interim meant they got wrecked.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It makes sense that in Fusion all the sectors were hermetically sealed since they're independent environments on a space station so entry points were limited to security doors. It's not like it takes long for the whole station to be overrun anyway.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Regy Rusty posted:

Ok what the gently caress
:emptyquote:

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Just got prompted for an update. Does it break any tricks?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

i watched my 7yr old play and beat this (after 11 hours) but he skipped all the dialogue cause he doesnt care much about the story, i just wanted clarification on something revealed at the end the entire time the evil crow was pretending to be adam right? thats why he stops calling samus "Lady" and calls her Samus instead? is that right? the only dialogue he didnt skip was the end and maybe thats because it was unskippable.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

mastajake posted:

It’s supposed to fix an end of game bug that causes a crash if you have a marker on a particular part of the map. There might be additional fixes, like instant beam charge on turning, and shooting through walls when it should not allow you to, but I don’t know. I think those fixes are fair, but it would hugely alter speed runs.

Kly posted:

i watched my 7yr old play and beat this (after 11 hours) but he skipped all the dialogue cause he doesnt care much about the story, i just wanted clarification on something revealed at the end the entire time the evil crow was pretending to be adam right? thats why he stops calling samus "Lady" and calls her Samus instead? is that right? the only dialogue he didnt skip was the end and maybe thats because it was unskippable.

I’m not sure if it was the entire time, but maybe just the last Adam communication. She blasts away which looks to be a fake projection and reveals a room behind it.

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 21, 2021

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

mastajake posted:

It breaks the trick that crashes your game during the final moments of the ending sequence.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Steve Jorbs posted:

It breaks the trick that crashes your game during the final moments of the ending sequence.

drat, that was my favorite trick

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Gamerofthegame posted:

biggest thing missing out is there is no animals to save

Saving those white deer animals in the background was something I hoped would be a savable animal.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Kly posted:

Correct, every Adam terminal message was Raven Beak going "wow that Raven Beak guy is so cool and strong, you don't stand a chance". The last time Adam talks at the start of the game is when Samus takes the elevator down before losing her upgrades.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Which is weird because that twist actually doesn’t matter.

It’s funny but that’s about it

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Did you guys notice in one of the cutscenes the Chozo word for "however" is "Sebulba"

https://youtu.be/HHhOhic3xI8?t=142

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Which is weird because that twist actually doesn’t matter.

It’s funny but that’s about it

I think it helps highlight Raven Beak's megalomania and control freak tendencies. Basically every part of the adventure but the X being released is like a meticulously-arranged test chamber for Samus' burgeoning Metroid powers, and yet he still needs to go out of his way to hijack Adam to make you go through the game on his own terms.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

This feels a bit silly, but is there like a routing map that'd be handy for doing a quick playthrough? I kind of want to go for the sub 4, but I know I'm going to get lost a bunch because I have a bad memory.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The Bee posted:

I think it helps highlight Raven Beak's megalomania and control freak tendencies. Basically every part of the adventure but the X being released is like a meticulously-arranged test chamber for Samus' burgeoning Metroid powers, and yet he still needs to go out of his way to hijack Adam to make you go through the game on his own terms.

I wouldn't even exclude the release of the X from his plan, since plasma beam was there

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Raven Beak is a Kamen Rider villain - a bad dad with a convoluted, manipulative plan and a huge ego. He's a wrestling heel and part of the fun of Dread is how that conflicts with the mode of storytelling that Samus is used to.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Oxyclean posted:

This feels a bit silly, but is there like a routing map that'd be handy for doing a quick playthrough? I kind of want to go for the sub 4, but I know I'm going to get lost a bunch because I have a bad memory.

A gameFAQs post had this: https://imgur.com/gallery/8n8jWK2

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

This owns, thanks.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

FeyerbrandX posted:

I wouldn't even exclude the release of the X from his plan, since plasma beam was there

It seems like he has to have been responsible for the release of the X. Why else would the seal have opened when the cameras saw Samus?

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Also the door was open when we saw it closed behind her.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I've taken a break from Dread due to Sora in Smash and just being kinda bored with Dread and I'm lost... in Ferenia again, I just got the Space Jump but I don't see a place to use it? Ghavoran is completely locked up and I can't explore much of it anymore but everything else in Ferenia is a cold area that will kill me. What do I do?

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

sigher posted:

I've taken a break from Dread due to Sora in Smash and just being kinda bored with Dread and I'm lost... in Ferenia again, I just got the Space Jump but I don't see a place to use it? Ghavoran is completely locked up and I can't explore much of it anymore but everything else in Ferenia is a cold area that will kill me. What do I do?

The Space Jump should improve your mobility in water areas. You still can't gain arbitrary height underwater but you can now cross arbitrary horizontal distances.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Mr. Nice! posted:

It seems like he has to have been responsible for the release of the X. Why else would the seal have opened when the cameras saw Samus?

Adam also attributes the release of the X to Raven Beak, and since that was Raven Beak there's no reason to think he was lying

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

I’ve started a new game on hard mode, and I have to say that the game feels just as fresh and frightening in the EMMI sections as it did before, and I have a deeper appreciation for the game overall. Worth replaying in my opinion.

sigher posted:

I’ve had this happen with these types of games. If you take too long of a break, you start forgetting details of what is going on and where things are. I’d just focus on Dread, and you’ll get it. Then again, you said you were bored of it. To me, part of the fun is getting lost and figuring out the world like it’s a puzzle, but it’s not for everyone.

Anyway, Ghavoran may appear locked up, but it is in fact not. Find the teleport that goes to Burenia and see how you can continue from there.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Hard mode does not gently caress around. Only had 38% but it made some of the bosses very interesting.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

MokBa posted:

Hard mode does not gently caress around. Only had 38% but it made some of the bosses very interesting.

With Kraid, did you do the fast kill with the morph ball?

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Good Sphere posted:

With Kraid, did you do the fast kill with the morph ball?

I did not, but this was my third run. My second one was all about the sequence breaks.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Do deaths count towards your final in game time?

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Naw the game truly goes back to your last checkpoint, timer and all.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Renegret posted:

Do deaths count towards your final in game time?

deaths and pausing do not count

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I wish I could spend the whole game with the blue suit, I love it so much.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Sweet thanks.

I'm thinking of going for sub 4 hours but I have an awful sense of direction so it's good to know I can throw endless corpses against bosses and look at the map all I want.

tonberi
Oct 17, 2003

Last night I ran into an interesting bug with the last boss, although I have no idea how to trigger it again.

https://twitter.com/GunmaKuma/status/1451099655551344643 at around 15s

And I couldn't win, wonder if it got patched?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

MokBa posted:

Agreed. I just cleared it in 3:28. You have enough to avoid a 1-shot but you really can't just idly take a hit anywhere in the game. That was kinda fun.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

tonberi posted:

Last night I ran into an interesting bug with the last boss, although I have no idea how to trigger it again.

https://twitter.com/GunmaKuma/status/1451099655551344643 at around 15s

And I couldn't win, wonder if it got patched?
I've definitely seen that happen to someone before the patch went out, so it's not a new thing

maybe he was upset at you for interrupting his very cool and dramatic cutscene???

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Renegret posted:

Sweet thanks.

I'm thinking of going for sub 4 hours but I have an awful sense of direction so it's good to know I can throw endless corpses against bosses and look at the map all I want.

A couple of tips for caring about the timer:
--As mentioned, timer does not advance while paused (with either - or +). I think it still does during pickups so don't pick that time to go get a snack. Get back control and pause first.
--Timer advances during cutscenes, skipping them just adds the time anyway. This includes the credits, so when going for the final boss try to allow for plenty of time. Like 20 minutes total, don't assume you've got time to go do idle collecting.
--Timer advances while talking to Adam, mash through the text.
--Choose your hard saves wisely. You don't want to wander off into left field, save, then decide that the skip you were trying for is too difficult and need to backtrack.
--Sidenote to the above, most of the tricky skips (at least game-intended ones instead of shooting through walls or something) have a save point nearby. Get there, save, do all the practicing you need, then reload and do it quickly.
--Checkpoints are before every boss/miniboss, entering/exiting every EMMI door (while the EMMI is up), and every transport/teleporter. You can load from these as easily as from save points. Try not to go through an EMMI door unless you know it's the right one.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 22, 2021

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Bruceski posted:

A couple of tips for caring about the timer:
--As mentioned, timer does not advance while paused (with either - or +). I think it still does during pickups so don't pick that time to go get a snack. Get back control and pause first.
--Timer advances during cutscenes, skipping them just adds the time anyway. This includes the credits, so when going for the final boss try to allow for plenty of time. Like 20 minutes total, don't assume you've got time to go do idle collecting.
--Timer advances while talking to Adam, mash through the text.
--Choose your hard saves wisely. You don't want to wander off into left field, save, then decide that the skip you were trying for is too difficult and need to backtrack.
--Sidenote to the above, most of the tricky skips (at least game-intended ones instead of shooting through walls or something) have a save point nearby. Get there, save, do all the practicing you need, then reload and do it quickly.
--Checkpoints are before every boss/miniboss, entering/exiting every EMMI door (while the EMMI is up), and every transport/teleporter. You can load from these as easily as from save points. Try not to go through an EMMI door unless you know it's the right one.

Alternatively, no actual sequence breaks are necessary for sub 4 hours, you can just run the intended game route reasonably quickly and make it. Granted that requires you to reasonably know where you are going (so does sequence breaking) - but as long as you aren't getting super lost and saving while you are off in the wrong part of the world - it is totally doable with zero sequence breaks.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Hitting a save point but declining to save is also a checkpoint. I found this out when I kept failing the early Grapple Beam slide jump/damage boost: I'd talked to Adam at the nearby Network Station but hadn't chosen to save. Dying brought me to it anyway.