Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Rooibos tea is caffeine free. But I guess technically it still counts as an herbal tea. Still, that may scratch your itch. Personally, I stick to sweet minty herbal teas for anything near bed time. I find that there's the psychological benefit to that beyond the caffeine-free-ness, where my brain goes "Ok, it's a cold night, you're drinking mint tea, it's getting to be around bed time then", and it helps me fall asleep that way.

If you have a well stocked Asian grocer near-ish to you, and they happen to have a section of teas, they may also have jars of various herbal tea components that you could throw together to make a nice blend that's not reliant on the ever-present mint tea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

neogeo0823 posted:

Rooibos tea is caffeine free. But I guess technically

(Screeching into the thread like a lovely jalopy) technically rooibos isn't te(is hit by a train)

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Heath posted:

(Screeching into the thread like a lovely jalopy) technically rooibos isn't te(is hit by a train)

tea... There, I finished that for you. Rooibos is its own plant of course and deserves it's own accolades for making herbals something good in their own right. I find the best ones will mix plenty of dry flower and fruits and aim for a cohesive idea. The other reason herbals should be called infusions or the French tisane is primarily so people who are sensitive to caffeine know when there will and won't be caffeine containing tea leaves in the mix. Then there's people like me who'll drink two cups of strong black tea before bed and fall straight to sleep and wake well rested. I'd be cross if someone was giving me herbal "tea" in the morning and it didn't have caffeine in it as well. Specificity can be useful.

Somewhat a tangent, but I planted 2x Camellia sinensis from Korean genetics this autumn. We get similar climate to S. Korea, so I expect they'll do pretty well in their partially shaded (for summer) environment. I won't expect to be using them to drink for a few years, but I have high hopes for the future. They've only been in the ground for a few days, but they're looking happy so far.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

if you want caffeine free actual tea, even according to pedants, then I strongly recommend hojicha, which is roasted sencha (I think it came to be as a way to use leftovers when they got stale or tasteless). the process significantly reduces the caffeine levels and tastes really delish

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
Kukicha, a Japanese green that's mostly the stems and twigs leftover from making other teas, is also naturally super low in caffeine and also pretty tasty.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It's also very cheap, you can get a fuckton of it.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

ulvir posted:

if you want caffeine free actual tea, even according to pedants, then I strongly recommend hojicha, which is roasted sencha (I think it came to be as a way to use leftovers when they got stale or tasteless). the process significantly reduces the caffeine levels and tastes really delish

my local boba place does hojicha and it is a lifesaver. someday I'll be able to tolerate caffeine again...

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I got some tea flowers, which are camellia sinensis buds harvested in Yunnan. The flavor isn't as assertive or piquant as most teas, but it's smooth and kind of smoky. Worth trying.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jhet posted:

My tea tree flowers are blossoming. Pretty cool.

Tea flowers you say? They have very little aroma right now, but they smell fresh and a little like tea. X-post from the gardening thread.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

ulvir posted:

it's been a while but iirc it's got a similar flavour to genmaicha which is my big go-to for when i want to drink a liquid hug, which should also be good for warming up with

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

neongrey posted:

it's been a while but iirc it's got a similar flavour to genmaicha which is my big go-to for when i want to drink a liquid hug, which should also be good for warming up with

that still has caffeine though, since it’s still a green tea. but yeah it’s great

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I'm new to tea and have so far only bought a few different loose leaf greens and whites from Adagio and I enjoy them a lot.

But last night I picked up a box of Twining's oolong and... holy moly. The smell, taste, and mouthfeel were not what I was expecting and I love it. I think it will be my morning cup for a while. I'm seriously impressed and it's not even a good representation of oolong, I'm sure.

What's a good oolong from Adagio for a beginner?

Here's a pic of my stash drawer that I organized over the weekend. Not pictured are a 16oz bag of citron green, 3oz of honeybush apricot, and half a disc of what I'm sure is a sub-par pu'erh I got from Amazon. It's still tasty though.

The Mighty Leaf matcha in the lower right is good, but it's the only matcha I've had so any recommendations there would be welcome too.

Also I've completely given up alcohol in favor of tea!

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

isaboo posted:

I'm new to tea and have so far only bought a few different loose leaf greens and whites from Adagio and I enjoy them a lot.

What's a good oolong from Adagio for a beginner?

Oolongs have so much variation that you're probably best off trying samples of a few different ones to see what you like. Looks like Adagio has a 12-oolong sampler sometimes (it looks like it's sold out right now, but you can sign up for a restock notification) and that could be a good crash course. If you want something sooner, I think their Ti Kuan Yin, Golden Flower, Formosa Oolong and Milk Oolong could all give you a good idea of some parts of the oolong range if you're into doing a little compare and contrast. The Milk Oolong will be the wildest of the lot -- it's one of my favorite teas in general and it's very unique -- it really does taste/feel creamy somehow.

I'd stay away from the flavored ones if you're looking to get a baseline of what oolongs are like by themselves, but if one of those just sings to you, go ahead and follow your dreams.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

DurianGray posted:

Oolongs have so much variation that you're probably best off trying samples of a few different ones to see what you like. Looks like Adagio has a 12-oolong sampler sometimes (it looks like it's sold out right now, but you can sign up for a restock notification) and that could be a good crash course. If you want something sooner, I think their Ti Kuan Yin, Golden Flower, Formosa Oolong and Milk Oolong could all give you a good idea of some parts of the oolong range if you're into doing a little compare and contrast. The Milk Oolong will be the wildest of the lot -- it's one of my favorite teas in general and it's very unique -- it really does taste/feel creamy somehow.

I'd stay away from the flavored ones if you're looking to get a baseline of what oolongs are like by themselves, but if one of those just sings to you, go ahead and follow your dreams.

Oolongs are really something to spend some time with I think, and I am only getting started myself. I really love Wuyi Rock oolongs, but have not yet found a Ti Kwan Yin I like much. I have not tried any Phoenix or Taiwanese oolongs either. The current trend is lightly oxidized forms but I like the richly roasted options. Etc. Really have to try and see.

Also agreed, milk oolongs are great.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Medium roast oolongs are great with food.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I've been exploring my way through both raw and ripe puerhs over the past month. I have decided that nothing better on a fall morning than a nice dark shou

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

DurianGray posted:

Thanks! I ordered some Ti Kuan Yin, Milk Oolong, Lapsang Souchong, and chamomile.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I want a pitcher for making iced tea by pouring hot tea over ice. I am concerned that if I use a plastic pitcher, the near-boiling water will leach out nasty chemicals but if I use a glass pitcher it might break due to the extreme shift from cold to hot. Is there a good pitcher for this?

e: I have a BPA-free plastic pitcher, is that good enough?

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 12, 2021

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I want a pitcher for making iced tea by pouring hot tea over ice. I am concerned that if I use a plastic pitcher, the near-boiling water will leach out nasty chemicals but if I use a glass pitcher it might break due to the extreme shift from cold to hot. Is there a good pitcher for this?

Possibly not. Metal pitchers exist and would be great for this, but I would just use a sauce pan if I didn't want to buy something new.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Jhet posted:

Possibly not. Metal pitchers exist and would be great for this, but I would just use a sauce pan if I didn't want to buy something new.

I was thinking of getting a glass pitcher that says hot/cold, like this: https://smile.amazon.com/Ounces-Glass-Pitcher-Water-Beverage/dp/B01JGO8DHC/

Eventually it will develop a crack from this use but I'll bet I can brew a lot of iced tea before that.

Wait actually reviews are extremely bad on that one! Maybe metal is best.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I've used cheap glass pitchers with boiling water before and never run into a problem, but before I got them I would use a ceramic pitcher rather than risk plastic.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I was thinking of getting a glass pitcher that says hot/cold, like this: https://smile.amazon.com/Ounces-Glass-Pitcher-Water-Beverage/dp/B01JGO8DHC/

Eventually it will develop a crack from this use but I'll bet I can brew a lot of iced tea before that.

Wait actually reviews are extremely bad on that one! Maybe metal is best.

Borosillicate is a thing that would be good, but it's pretty expensive to find good quality ones. You can get gallon metal pitcher from that price and they'll take a whole lot more of a beating than you can probably conceivably ever give them in their lifetime.

You can also find them at restaurant supply stores for cheaper than Amazon probably, unless there's not one very near.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

We use this for making iced tea. It works well. Went through one with a crack that never failed but we replaced preemptively. I'm pretty sure the crack itself was from me banging it against the counter.

Borosilicate Glass Pitcher with Lid and Spout - 68 Ounces Cold and Hot Water Carafe with Unique Diamond Pattern, Beverage Pitcher for Homemade Iced Tea and Juice. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071HJ692V/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_ANEW66AS0QBBQHD220AW

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Triton is a plastic that can take going from boiling to cold and is supposed to be super food safe. David’s Tea uses it for its iced tea pitchers. I think anything made from borosilicate glass can handle it too. I have a Primula glass teapot, that admittedly I haven’t tried making iced tea with though, just regular tea. But I have poured boiling water directly into pyrex (real borosilicate pyrex, DO NOT attempt with their soda-lime poo poo) ramekins filled with ice.

That’s one way of making iced tea, with a teapot and a pitcher. Make the tea in the teapot and then pour over the ice in the pitcher. By the time the liquid makes contact with the pitcher, it’ll be cooled enough to not cause heat shock.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Stuporstar posted:

Triton is a plastic that can take going from boiling to cold and is supposed to be super food safe. David’s Tea uses it for its iced tea pitchers. I think anything made from borosilicate glass can handle it too. I have a Primula glass teapot, that admittedly I haven’t tried making iced tea with though, just regular tea. But I have poured boiling water directly into pyrex (real borosilicate pyrex, DO NOT attempt with their soda-lime poo poo) ramekins filled with ice.

That’s one way of making iced tea, with a teapot and a pitcher. Make the tea in the teapot and then pour over the ice in the pitcher. By the time the liquid makes contact with the pitcher, it’ll be cooled enough to not cause heat shock.

I've been brewing the tea in a pot on the stove and pouring it into a glass full of ice, but I'm sure the glass won't last doing this. Isn't this the usual way to do it? I know there's cold brew options but it seems like brewing hot (65-100 C depending on the tea) will get me the best flavor.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I've been brewing the tea in a pot on the stove and pouring it into a glass full of ice, but I'm sure the glass won't last doing this. Isn't this the usual way to do it? I know there's cold brew options but it seems like brewing hot (65-100 C depending on the tea) will get me the best flavor.

I’m kinda wary about doing it in a regular glass, but I’ve done it in a 16 oz glass tea mug and don’t worry too much about it. I just make sure to pour it over the middle of the ice rather than down the side.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
I've always just waited for the tea to cool off to around room temp before pouring it over ice, but I'll also just make a big batch and store the rest in the fridge when I'm in the mood for iced tea. Evades the issue of heat shock entirely if you make it ahead of time. (The southerner in me is perplexed by the concept of brewing it glass-by-glass and pouring boiling tea over ice, but different strokes, etc.)

DurianGray fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 13, 2021

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
How long do y'all allow your freshly steeped tea to cool before drinking it?

I know very hot drinks can cause esophageal problems, but I read somewhere that letting it cool too much will destroy the flavor profile.
Six minutes was the suggested time based on SCIENCE

Do you have preferred cooldown times for different teas?

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

In my experience it depends more on how I'm brewing than on the type of tea - when I'm doing the gaiwan thing so much heat bleeds off from the multiple pours that I don't end up waiting for cooling at all. In-mug strainer usually means I'm paying less attention so it can be anywhere from 2-10 minutes and then it just turns into small sips vs. regular drinking. About four or five minutes usually seems ideal for the giant mug.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

isaboo posted:

I know very hot drinks can cause esophageal problems, but I read somewhere that letting it cool too much will destroy the flavor profile.

Not one second. Tea is best when it turns to steam in your throat and comes billowing out of my nose.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

isaboo posted:

I've been drinking mine with milk since I started exclusively WFH last year due to, you know, The poo poo.

Anyway, even a small splash of milk brings it down from scalding-hot to pleasantly-hot.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

We use this for making iced tea. It works well. Went through one with a crack that never failed but we replaced preemptively. I'm pretty sure the crack itself was from me banging it against the counter.

Borosilicate Glass Pitcher with Lid and Spout - 68 Ounces Cold and Hot Water Carafe with Unique Diamond Pattern, Beverage Pitcher for Homemade Iced Tea and Juice. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071HJ692V/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_ANEW66AS0QBBQHD220AW

This worked out nicely. The pitcher's pretty well-designed though I don't necessarily trust the seal on the lid. I like to brew a little stronger than usual and immediately cool over a bunch of ice to preserve the flavor as much as possible, though obviously iced tea can't taste quite like hot tea.

Also I bought this teapot:

Hawkperson posted:

yeah this is pretty individual and a general rec for a teapot isn't always going to work. That said, here's the one I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZSA84J/

I like glass teapots, and the spout on that one pours very well. It's pretty large though, so I would get smaller unless you're like me and mostly make tea to put in a giant mug/thermos and sip over the course of a day. Or multiple people in your household like tea I suppose.

It's good because I can put it on the stovetop, but mine is 1400 ml instead of 1000 ml. That's not especially a problem but I wonder if other people noticed this? It took me a while to figure out why I was getting 6 cups of tea from a pot.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

This worked out nicely. The pitcher's pretty well-designed though I don't necessarily trust the seal on the lid. I like to brew a little stronger than usual and immediately cool over a bunch of ice to preserve the flavor as much as possible, though obviously iced tea can't taste quite like hot tea.

Haven't had any issues with the lid falling off while pouring or anything, but I'd you flip it upside-down, I imagine you're going to have a bad time, yeah.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Bought some high altitude Ali Shan from https://eco-cha.com probably their fall flush. It was buttery and almost perfumed with herbal tastes. Also bought their low altitude milk oolong which was almost as good but not really milky. Hard to judge because of covid nose.

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
Everything I’ve bought from Eco-cha (and by everything I mean both orders earlier this year) has been top notch.

I was especially impressed with the black teas they sell.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
So.

Pretty good morning session.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I love that setup!

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder
Tea Goons, I am in the process of sending out another round of Puerh samples now. Some goons and I plan to do video chat sessions with them. Hit me up to participate.

Jhet posted:

Tea flowers you say? They have very little aroma right now, but they smell fresh and a little like tea. X-post from the gardening thread.
Gadzooks! I am jealous of that tree.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Death Vomit Wizard posted:

Gadzooks! I am jealous of that tree.

It’s cold now, but I have two of them that I’ll be tending for many years to come. They’re not too far away from my peppercorn trees. They’re in really good shape, so I’m looking forward to them getting big enough to drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I'm absolutely rather late for this, but Teavivre has Keemun Black tea, grade 2, on sale for 5.90 USD for 4 ounces. That's a 62 percent discount.

https://www.teavivre.com/keemun-black-tea.html

I haven't tried many keemun teas but I did enjoy that one, and it's a great price even before shipping. Limited 1 per order, not sure if you can do multiple individual orders?