Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
EVGA extended warranties are not transferrable. They're a "run this poo poo into the ground" buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

owls or something posted:

Got my 3060ti in from EVGA yesterday. I dunno, I must have been high when I was researching measurements a year ago because I was sure it was supposedly bigger than my 1080ti and was worried it might not be a smooth fit in my mITX case. Not the case at all and now I've got room to spare. Also only 1x 8pin connector instead of the 8+6pin so I have less cables to deal with.

I'll air blast any dust out my 1080ti black maybe this evening and throw it up on SA-MART if any one is interested. Original owner, clean home, clean PC, not over clocked or bitcoined with. Never an issue.

(What is a good/fair sell price? I got it for the $720 MSRP when it launched.)
you might want to keep that 1080ti around as a spare/back-up gpu since it's only 2 slots and those are pretty hard to find anymore, esp since you're in an mITX case

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

i bought the 10 year warranty because it was ridiculously cheap since its cost was based on the cheap garbage card i bought expressly for the purpose of mailing it back to them for the step-up purchase.

5 years sounds like about the period of time a lot of people use a card before buying a new one, so if you think you'll get rid of it around then sure that'd be a good length for a warranty. i don't know if the warranties are transferable, if they are then having several years left on the warranty might make it easier to sell when you're done with it.

I tend to replace my cards every generation, but with COVID I have suspicions that this 3080Ti might serve me longer than typical. I have another 2.5 months to make up my mind if I want to extend the warranty or not.

FENCH DIGGITY
Oct 23, 2010

hee-ho, fuccboi

Got my 3060ti in from EVGA yesterday. I dunno, I must have been high when I was researching measurements a year ago because I was sure it was supposedly bigger than my 1080ti and was worried it might not be a smooth fit in my mITX case. Not the case at all and now I've got room to spare. Also only 1x 8pin connector instead of the 8+6pin so I have less cables to deal with.

I'll air blast any dust out my 1080ti black maybe this evening and throw it up on SA-MART if any one is interested. Original owner, clean home, clean PC, not over clocked or bitcoined with. Never an issue.

i'd maybe be interested in that 1080 for my plex server, depending on how much you want for it

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Anyone want an overpriced Newegg bundle? Tuf 3060 and tuf 550 watt for 594

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo05orh1UsQ

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

SpartanIvy posted:

Best Buy drop is happening/happened.

I got a reference 3080 for MSRP somehow.

It's finally over :shepface:

Never thought I would get a racing heartbeat while updating credit card info.

nice

i was sleeping :negative:

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Combat Pretzel posted:

BlueScreenView lists and gives basic info about the mini-/memory dumps Windows retains, if it managed to make one.

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

I mean, it's mostly just debugging gobbledygook, but at least you don't need to comb the event log and you get time to read the error code.

Finally got a chance to check out the mini dump and it looks like it was SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, not MEMORY_MANAGEMENT. Still, figured I'd peruse the guru3d thread to see what the hubbub was about.

quote:

The new driver is agressively milking performance out of systems and systems with any sort of weakness are being caught out, progress be like that sometimes. :coal:

Your system is weak, Combat Pretzel. WEAK Nvidia's newest drivers clearly are a free performance increase for everyone else, unlocking the full power of their hardware, but your weak, putrid system is rendered unstable, despite the company's benevolence.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
the software is willing, but the hardware is spongy and weak

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I need some advice for my current situation

I built a new computer a few months back with a 5800x, 64gb & 3060 Ti. Like everyone, I really, really wanted a 3080 but couldn't snag one. I did the EVGA step up and selected the 3080 Ti after seeing how long the 3080 queue line was (over a year) and just assumed I wouldn't hear back.

The other day I got notification that the queue popped for another card, a 3070 Ti. I immediately bought it because, if I couldn't get a 3080, why not pay as much as one for less performance. Then that night, the step-ups queue email came and try told me I could pay a thousand to upgrade my 3060 Ti to a 3080 Ti. Paralysis set in.

I can afford it, but I don't know if I want to. I know I could sell the 70 Ti for significantly more than I paid, but I don't know if I want to be that kind of rear end in a top hat. I have the capacity in my case (q704) to handle the 80 Ti and an 850w PSU. There's the lingering feeling that the chip shortage isn't going away any time soon and, even if the Super's come out early next year, I won't get one, or another card in the future, for quite a while so I should upgrade now.

So, give me some advice.

Keep the 70 Ti and sell the 60 Ti.
Keep the 70 Ti, upgrade the 60 Ti to the 80 Ti, sell th 80 Ti
Upgrade to the 80 Ti, sell the 70 Ti.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

suddenlyissoon posted:

I need some advice for my current situation

I built a new computer a few months back with a 5800x, 64gb & 3060 Ti. Like everyone, I really, really wanted a 3080 but couldn't snag one. I did the EVGA step up and selected the 3080 Ti after seeing how long the 3080 queue line was (over a year) and just assumed I wouldn't hear back.

The other day I got notification that the queue popped for another card, a 3070 Ti. I immediately bought it because, if I couldn't get a 3080, why not pay as much as one for less performance. Then that night, the step-ups queue email came and try told me I could pay a thousand to upgrade my 3060 Ti to a 3080 Ti. Paralysis set in.

I can afford it, but I don't know if I want to. I know I could sell the 70 Ti for significantly more than I paid, but I don't know if I want to be that kind of rear end in a top hat. I have the capacity in my case (q704) to handle the 80 Ti and an 850w PSU. There's the lingering feeling that the chip shortage isn't going away any time soon and, even if the Super's come out early next year, I won't get one, or another card in the future, for quite a while so I should upgrade now.

So, give me some advice.

Keep the 70 Ti and sell the 60 Ti.
Keep the 70 Ti, upgrade the 60 Ti to the 80 Ti, sell th 80 Ti

what do you do with it

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

suddenlyissoon posted:

I vote for this.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Alan Smithee posted:

what do you do with it

I'm 40 now (how the gently caress have I been on this website for nearly 20 years?) so basically nothing more than video games on a 1440p 165hz screen. Occasionally, I do some photo/video editing in Lightroom and Premiere, but that's about it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Get the 3080ti those extra frames at 1440p will be worth it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
At this point you may as well go big and recoup some of the cost selling off the 3070ti

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

SpartanIvy posted:

Congratulations! Please look over your shoulder repeatedly while you're walking your purchase back to the car.

Or if it comes by mail, sit by your front door with a baseball bat.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Under ordinary circumstances, I'd never advise anyone buy a 3080 Ti. The only reason people are doing so now is because the price gap between them and the 3080 has partially closed, and sometimes the Ti is the only choice you're given.

That said, if you have both a 3070 Ti and a 3060 Ti in your hands already, the 3080 Ti will basically be a "free" upgrade. You'll get, what, $500 of trade-in value for your 3060 Ti when stepping up, plus however much you can sell the 3070 Ti for ($1000?) which offsets the cost of the 3080 Ti. That's gotta be worth it, especially if your goal is high refresh 1440p.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Under ordinary circumstances, I'd never advise anyone buy a 3080 Ti. The only reason people are doing so now is because the price gap between them and the 3080 has partially closed, and sometimes the Ti is the only choice you're given.

That said, if you have both a 3070 Ti and a 3060 Ti in your hands already, the 3080 Ti will basically be a "free" upgrade. You'll get, what, $500 of trade-in value for your 3060 Ti when stepping up, plus however much you can sell the 3070 Ti for ($1000?) which offsets the cost of the 3080 Ti. That's gotta be worth it, especially if your goal is high refresh 1440p.

Well, I'm paying for the 70 Ti so the 80 Ti would be the price of the upgrade (1000) and whatever I'd get over the retail for the 70 Ti (880 with tax and shipping)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Lord Stimperor posted:

Congratulations! Please look over your shoulder repeatedly while you're walking your purchase back to the car.

I’m going to use this to feel better about not getting one this round

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

suddenlyissoon posted:

Well, I'm paying for the 70 Ti so the 80 Ti would be the price of the upgrade (1000) and whatever I'd get over the retail for the 70 Ti (880 with tax and shipping)

You paid with time and effort, so don’t feel too bad about covering your 3080Ti retail costs with a 3070Ti flip

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Lord Stimperor posted:

Finally, a reason to exercise my Texas constitutional carry right!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

SpartanIvy posted:

Nice and congrats! I jumped on it right away, and had the NerdSpeak queue tracker.... and when I got to verification, it reset up to 20 minutes and sold out during the meantime.

I think I'm going to try without it the next time it goes live.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

It's wild to me that I'm still seeing 3080 FE's gouged for £1,999 over a year after I got mine. Impulse buying this card was in hindsight a good decision :staredog:

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

ijyt posted:

It's wild to me that I'm still seeing 3080 FE's gouged for £1,999 over a year after I got mine. Impulse buying this card was in hindsight a good decision :staredog:

yeah if you had done the "smart" thing and waited for supply to improve last winter you'd have hosed up bigtime

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Combat Pretzel posted:

"This one" as in this model, or "this one" as in this single one available card?
If you didn't know / as funny anecdote, NVIDIA made special edition 2080ti for Cyberpunk release: https://www.ebay.com/itm/353733255547?hash=item525c25217b:g:3jwAAOSwtjhhb8UG. The cooler and shroud separate was going for thousand earlier this year.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

PittTheElder posted:

I'm not an expert by any means but that idle temp of >60 degrees seem crazy high. Maybe by EVGA 1080 just is different, but it usually idles at like 35-40 degrees. What does your idle CPU temp look like? Are your case fans exhausting properly?

Yeah, my 5700XT also idles around 56-59 C sometimes, but that's when the GPU fans are inactive. It definitely should not do so with GPU fan speed around 2000 RPM.

Shipon posted:

are they bringing back the wood screws too

I forgot about that. It was a hilarious time :allears:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

repiv posted:

yeah https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2021/05/24/temptation-of-the-apple-dolphin-on-macos-m1/

the gamecube/wii GPU is relatively simple (it's barely even programmable IIRC) so supporting metal is less of a burden for them i guess

switch emulation requires emulating not only the full dx11 feature set, but also all the extensions that maxwell had on top of that

As I recall, the Gamecube/Wii GPU doesn't even run shaders according to Dolphin devs.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the GTA3 trilogy remaster has DLSS lol

seems a little overkill for the visuals they're targeting

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

repiv posted:

the gta 3 version for pc famously ran like rear end on launch because the draw distance setting would choke your gpu. dlss is always a nice way to avoid having to do too much optimization

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Shipon posted:

yeah if you had done the "smart" thing and waited for supply to improve last winter you'd have hosed up bigtime

It's not like people walked past short easily manageable queues. Even if you were ready to instabuy these cards the first day they were available, streetwear gremlins were already clogging the supply.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Craptacular! posted:

It's not like people walked past short easily manageable queues. Even if you were ready to instabuy these cards the first day they were available, streetwear gremlins were already clogging the supply.

yeah i was there on day 1, it was rpetty bad. nvidia site going down and straight up lying and the link on their site didn't work, then turns out they sent you a link to your loving email if you hit the notify button that actually worked but it was too late. evga site making GBS threads the bed. loving zotac garbage.

but it was a little manageble because EVGA did have somewhat frequent drops early on and at random so you could do a lot of f5-ing throughout the day and i and my battlefield friend snagged an evga 3080 from EVGA almost back-to-back at random about day 3/4 or so. i

ts insane to think i almost had buyers remorse over a $699 3080 and was like ehhh should i really get it? its so expensive lol

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I fully did not expect to get a 3080 at launch but I clicked the link in the email when they sent it and was able to get the order to go through.

I think people forget that no one could buy new cards a couple months before Crypto even exploded and I sold my 1080TI for as much as I paid for it the week after I got the 3080.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Ok Comboomer posted:

You paid with time and effort, so don’t feel too bad about covering your 3080Ti retail costs with a 3070Ti flip

Absolutely! Your time and diligence is valuable, and the only muttering I’ve seen is about blatant scalping. Nobody is gonna give you poo poo here about both lucking into a better card or selling the slightly older one along with a reasonable amount for a finder’s fee. Not only is it financially prudent, but some other person getting access to a scarce resource is pretty chill! And if you wanted to be greedy, sell it on eBay for lots of cash and just, ah, don’t tell us you scalped it! I’m not a posting superstar, but no one is going to search eBay for a username from SA and try to call you names. I am a horrible rambling poster and talk too much about my life, but even I don’t feel it necessary to volunteer all of what should be private info! My private info is open, I have no filter at all. But you’ll never find info from me about my ex’s address or my son’s job for example. I just admit I enjoy reading here when goons help other goons with GPU sources or a new cigar or whatever and it happens all the freakin’ time. It’s nice to read.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

For sure it was never easy to get one, but at least before the crypto bubble inflated in january the stock drop discords would give you a fair shot at MSRP if you stayed in one for a week at most. now not so much

kliras posted:

the gta 3 version for pc famously ran like rear end on launch because the draw distance setting would choke your gpu. dlss is always a nice way to avoid having to do too much optimization
GTA 4 still runs like garbage on PC even on high end hardware.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

10 Year EVGA Warranty worth it?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Unlike the base warranty, it's not transferrable. Are you going to heavily use the GPU for 5+ years? If so, it may be worth it.

Shipon posted:

GTA 4 still runs like garbage on PC even on high end hardware.

GTA 4 has at least two problems : a severe single thread bottleneck with timing issues (much like Oblivion), and some issues that cause exponential render load scaling with linear pixel count scaling. If you run it at 1080p, it will run OK, but never as well as GTA V. There are mods to make it run better at high resolutions by capping some of the insane scaling.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

c355n4 posted:

10 Year EVGA Warranty worth it?

Yes. There are accounts of people who had a card die after there was no available replacement, say like a 460, that they would end up with a 760 or 960 for example.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Kivi posted:

If you didn't know / as funny anecdote, NVIDIA made special edition 2080ti for Cyberpunk release: https://www.ebay.com/itm/353733255547?hash=item525c25217b:g:3jwAAOSwtjhhb8UG. The cooler and shroud separate was going for thousand earlier this year.
Oh I am aware of these cards. I was more joking about availability.

repiv posted:

I suppose there still isn't any actual footage showing what the remastering actually entails?

--edit: Trailer 8 hours ago.
--edit: Oh yeah, definitely needs DLSS. I don't see how I can even run this on my battlestation.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 22, 2021

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Thanks for posting the link :mad:

e:

https://youtu.be/D71cBUeAL58

Shut up Carl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

seems like a prime candidate for DLAA really, the remaster is on unreal engine so presumably it uses TAA that can be improved on

the upscaling part of DLSS seems totally unnecessary