Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I take great solace in the fact that it's actually far too late to fix climate change, it was too late 20 years ago, and it'll kill us all, and the rich and powerful are coming with us :smug:

That’s not true, you, like a lot of people, are conflating the fact that significant disruption is locked in, with total destruction. So yes we can’t stop climate change but we can stop it getting worse. It’s a moving scale. We are currently locked in to 1.5 c of climate change. We can survive that. If we do nothing this locked in temperature increases. I don’t know what’s so hard about this and i suggest you leave the climatology to the climatologists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

You know I don't think they're taking solace in that at all

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
https://twitter.com/RespectIsVital/status/1451457434493587460?t=bcCUtKkNGlMKbjFbmvPBiw

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Regarde Aduck posted:

That’s not true, you, like a lot of people, are conflating the fact that significant disruption is locked in, with total destruction. So yes we can’t stop climate change but we can stop it getting worse. It’s a moving scale. We are currently locked in to 1.5 c of climate change. We can survive that. If we do nothing this locked in temperature increases. I don’t know what’s so hard about this and i suggest you leave the climatology to the climatologists.

lol

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
the palace didnt tell journos about phil until 5 to midday for a midday release, they are likely to maintain the same level of backward traditionalism for the personification of Catagory One

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think I would say it is "genetic" especially as society-wide proactive behaviour is like, the definition of socially constructed.

Just because society has, on aggregate, been unable to demonstrate it hitherto doesn't mean it's biologically encoded any more than lovely gender norms are.

The question is better posed as "why and how does that happen and how can it be prevented" rather than "guess humans just have a bone in their brain that stops proactive behaviour"

When you say "society-wide", do you mean "occurs in every society everywhere ever since the beginning of time"? That's why I'm saying it's in the genes

Funnily, lack of proactiveness is not even the most perilous stupid behaviour we have in our genes anyway :v:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

loving lol

I guess it's happening then

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Doccykins posted:

the palace didnt tell journos about phil until 5 to midday for a midday release, they are likely to maintain the same level of backward traditionalism for the personification of Catagory One

They don’t get a choice, when she goes* to the great throne in the sky there’s too many other cogs start turning. Philip ultimately didn’t matter.

*is gently pushed by her doctors

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Maybe Laura K will finally get the promotion she deserves, she's always struck me as the kind of woman who felt she should be the queen or god

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jaete posted:

When you say "society-wide", do you mean "occurs in every society everywhere ever since the beginning of time"? That's why I'm saying it's in the genes

Funnily, lack of proactiveness is not even the most perilous stupid behaviour we have in our genes anyway :v:

I mean that how a society acts en-masse is obviously a result of learned behaviours, an individual might have a degree of genetic programming but I think that becomes less relevant the more people you have together.

It's like saying that capitalism is genetic because it's prolific, rather than because it's a self sustaining social behaviour derived from a combination of historical precedent and technological capability.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Also fair play to Barbados seeing this poo poo storm coming and jumping the gently caress out of its way

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I for one do not feel the need to post happily about the potential death of an old lady, whoever she might be.

until twisto posts about a weird helicopter its all bullshit anyway

I don’t think the Queen is a particularly horrible person so won’t rejoice her passing. It’s a bit like hate the game, not the player. Although she obviously has a healthy dose of self-interest she also, unlike most others in power, also has something of a sense of duty, even if it may be misguided. Makes a change from the government.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

CGI Stardust posted:

gently caress i don't want to have to learn the new lyrics for God Save The Queen, too much effort

"Soldiers are we
Whose lives are pledged toooo......
.... oops..... wrong country. :yikes:

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

She enables her noncey son to avoid justice for his noncery, gently caress her and bury all her horses with her

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I'll wear a union jack suit and let the gun carriage drive directly over my balls if they give me a day off for the funeral. Boris take note

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The venn diagram of 'people complaining that wearing a mask is a huge imposition' and 'people who say suck it up snowflake' is a perfect circle.

This isn't how Venn diagrams work.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
When the queen goes she's taking us all with her

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Lord of the Llamas posted:

This isn't how Venn diagrams work.

Yessssss I knew I could count on you

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

P(A∪B) is stored in the balls.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
People who care about venn diagrams' mums are perfect circles.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
gently caress the queen

I hope it hurts.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
thought and pray for our boys queen

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Regarde Aduck posted:

”We” can’t stop it getting worse, that’s entirely down to the politicians, billionaires, and fossil fuel company CEOs. I’m sure they’ll start prioritising the rest of the planet over their own self-interests any day now!

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

the sex ghost posted:

I'll wear a union jack suit and let the gun carriage drive directly over my balls if they give me a day off for the funeral. Boris take note

I dunno if they'd risk a day off, everyone getting pissed and having a big bank holiday party isn't really the desired vibe?

I reckon it's even odds that the amount of disrespect and tasteless jokes on Twitter leads to the government actually attempting to shut the site down.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Wasn't "retweets are banned" on the leaked plan?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

the sex ghost posted:

How much do you earn in a day? I'm sure we can have a whip-round.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

peanut- posted:

I dunno if they'd risk a day off, everyone getting pissed and having a big bank holiday party isn't really the desired vibe?
VE day front yard picnic.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

josh04 posted:

Wasn't "retweets are banned" on the leaked plan?

Dunno but I'm sure they mean "sarcastic quote tweets when I set it so only my mates can answer".

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Total Meatlove posted:

She enables her noncey son to avoid justice for his noncery, gently caress her and bury all her horses with her

Horses did nothing wrong.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Remarkably somber outfit for this WFH report about her hospital stay from the ITV royal correspondent though:

https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/1451300642782339077

Now you lot have got me convinced I should be watching live telly and/or listening to the radio, like some kind of caveman, lest I miss the announcement[1]

[1]Originally typoed as anoncement, nothing Freudian going on there I'm sure

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If she dies and they give everyone a day off next week that might make my job easier as if everyone stays home there is less traffic (I do not get bank holidays off)

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Hey everyone, I've not really been paying attention to the recent Trans debates over the past couple years (mainly because it's all so loving depressing living on TERF Island, and I largely checked out of anything UK Politics-related after the 2019 election), but the recent BBC nonsense and a gross experience at Uni has motivated me to get up to speed on what's been happening. I'm currently studying a PGCE course and was half-listening in on a couple women in my class having a talk about the aforementioned BBC podcast, and how "good" and "important" it was, etc. etc. I eventually asked if it was a takedown of the LGB Alliance (because I didn't know the content of the podcast series, and they were talking about hateful homophobic aspects of the organisation that was the subject of the series, it being dangerous for homosexuals, and so on), but they told me that it was for Stonewall and that "the LGB Alliance was doing some really great stuff". I know that this is patently a load of poo poo, as I seem to recall articles coming out when the LGB Alliance was first rising to prominence which showed how nakedly 'Funded by Right-Wing Fundamentalist Agitators' it was, and how clearly it was set up to erode LGBTQ+ rights, but now that I'm doing a bit of googling to learn more about it I'm seeing absolutely nothing but fawning articles about how cool and good it is as an organisation and how Stonewall is so evil. Is there a good starting point to actually learn more about all this, and what's actually happened in the last 2-3 years? I saw that they're now a loving registered charity (!?); I feel like I'm losing my mind over the recent coverage and how blatantly one-sided it is, and how easily it feels like the LGB Alliance has covered its recent history.

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Oct 22, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Maybe they can declare a month of mourning, and make staying at home, wearing masks, and covering up coughs and sneezes the official method of showing respect for 'Er Majesty. Might be the best thing to happen to public health in this country since the BCG.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

an_mutt posted:

TERF Island
The last I really checked the whole inner circle had gone full tinfoil intergalactic jew lizard conspiracy theorist and I've not seen much to suggest that it has gotten any better.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Okay, before I start ordering flags to fly at half-mast - does BBC2 *normally* carry the News 24 feed in the morning? It's years since I watched daytime TV so maybe this is a normal thing but it certainly feels not-normal.

e: Answering my own question, yes they do on weekdays. gently caress me they must be hard up for content.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Oct 22, 2021

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

stev posted:

We should really get an entirely new anthem when a monarch dies. Like with the Jojo's Bizarre Adventure opening tracks.

'You noble Diggers all, stand up now, stand up now,
You noble Diggers all, stand up now,
The wast land to maintain, seeing Cavaliers by name
Your digging does maintain, and persons all defame
Stand up now, stand up now.

Your houses they pull down, stand up now, stand up now,
Your houses they pull down, stand up now.
Your houses they pull down to fright your men in town,
But the gentry must come down, and the poor shall wear the crown.
Stand up now, Diggers all'

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The Queen is "in good spirits" in that she's currently pickling Nelson-style in a barrel of gin.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

peanut- posted:

I reckon it's even odds that the amount of disrespect and tasteless jokes on Twitter leads to the government actually attempting to shut the site down.

A holiday but with shops staying open (so gammons don't get enraged that they can't go to the shops) alongside front page articles castigating the staff of shops that are open to pacify gammons for not respecting OUR QUEEN would be very on brand.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

She's with are Di now. :pressf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

sebzilla posted:

The Queen is "in good spirits" in that she's currently pickling Nelson-style in a barrel of gin.

I recently learned that the ship that brough Nelson back was the HMS Pickle, and it kinda blows my mind that I knew one about the pickling, but not that.