Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
What are the thread tech worker's thoughts on the Netflix situation this week? I work in the European office of an American tech MNC and everyone this side of the pond is completely mystified at the employee protests.

Chappelle spends a good chunk of the show in question talking about his good friend who was trans, and who killed herself due to bullying, and the damage of that... So even leaving aside the freedom of speech concerns it seems a massive overreach to be trying to get him cancelled for transphobia for anyone whos watched it.

And stuff like this video just makes the protesters look like complete nutjobs:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cringetopia/comments/qcgnvo/netflix_employees_attacks_a_man_for_having_a_we/

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

gently caress dave chapelle and his transphobic rear end.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Blut posted:

What are the thread tech worker's thoughts on the Netflix situation this week? I work in the European office of an American tech MNC and everyone this side of the pond is completely mystified at the employee protests.

Chappelle spends a good chunk of the show in question talking about his good friend who was trans, and who killed herself due to bullying, and the damage of that... So even leaving aside the freedom of speech concerns it seems a massive overreach to be trying to get him cancelled for transphobia for anyone whos watched it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cringetopia/comments/qcgnvo/netflix_employees_attacks_a_man_for_having_a_we/

He talks about his trans friend then basically pisses on his grave by saying he is a TERF, therefore saying transfems don't belong, and you are confused about that? And the rear end that showed up to stand up for "Jokes" is also a piece of poo poo and should get hosed.

This isn't even some "The product of their time" thing like Monty Python or other comedy things, this is today. This is now, and he made this joke knowing how it would be taken.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 21, 2021

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Blut posted:

Lol you do realize the women killed herself because of Dave right? He didn't visit her loving memorial any of the years that it was held continued to say "that man was a great woman" and poo poo and literally capitalized on a suicide to make lols

gently caress off and research the entirety of this story before you call this a victim of cancel culture.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
What does the thread think of Donnie saying his website will ALL DA CYBER and be DA BEST?

Lol he had Bannon do a search of FAANG and said he's going to do all the tech stuff.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

PhazonLink posted:

What does the thread think of Donnie saying his website will ALL DA CYBER and be DA BEST?

Lol he had Bannon do a search of FAANG and said he's going to do all the tech stuff.

The website already got compromised, its going to be a joke like every enterprise Donnie sets up, because he's BAD at this and purposefully doesn't understand technology, so its easy for any of his scam/grift friends to take advantage of him, if he isn't already in on the grift himself.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Blut posted:

gently caress him, he's a past his prime bigot who peaked in the bush administration

PhazonLink posted:

trump is not capable of being associated with competent people, this website will fall over immediately and im pretty sure its already been compromised. lol at anyone who signs up for this thing with real PII

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

trump is not capable of being associated with competent people, this website will fall over immediately and im pretty sure its already been compromised. lol at anyone who signs up for this thing with real PII

I love that conservatives willingly submitted their social security numbers to Right Wing social media sites that then got popped.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Blut posted:

Oh, you're the 10% guy. That explains this very stupid post.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/josephfcox/status/1451198333024833548?s=20

So basically the supposed Trump social network is 100% stolen code. There's nothing these people can do without grift or outright theft.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

CommieGIR posted:

So basically the supposed Trump social network is 100% stolen code. There's nothing these people can do without grift or outright theft.

Truly, I am shocked. Meanwhile, there was this rebuttal from Trump

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 21, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CommieGIR posted:

Masturbatory Don

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Hm, Mastodon is AGPL

TFL posted:

[...]
The GNU General Public License permits making a modified version and
letting the public access it on a server without ever releasing its
source code to the public.

The GNU Affero General Public License is designed specifically to
ensure that, in such cases, the modified source code becomes available
to the community. It requires the operator of a network server to
provide the source code of the modified version running there to the
users of that server. Therefore, public use of a modified version, on
a publicly accessible server, gives the public access to the source
code of the modified version.

However, enforcement of licenses is a bit iffy-ish. I doubt much will come of this except hilarity.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Blut posted:

Chapelle took a decade off to reflect because he realized that racist shitheads really liked his show. The lesson he learned from that is that he's ok with appealing to shitheads as long as he's appealing to their transphobia rather than directly to their racism. gently caress him

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Jose Valasquez posted:

Chapelle took a decade off to reflect because he realized that racist shitheads really liked his show. The lesson he learned from that is that he's ok with appealing to shitheads as long as he's appealing to their transphobia rather than directly to their racism. gently caress him

Oof hadn't heard it stated that clearly yet.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jose Valasquez posted:

Yeah, I know when I was Active Duty Chapelle appealed to a lot of the Right Wing assholes, and its starting to dawn on me why that is.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
I don't typically post in here, so apologies if this is an unwelcome contribution, but in regards to Chapelle I found Salem Snow's analysis particularly salient (quoted from his public Facebook page).

quote:

CW: transphobia, queerphobia
I finally watched Dave Chapelle’s latest special The Closer.
Any point Chappelle was trying to make about whiteness was significantly overshadowed by the massive amounts of anti-LGBTQ+ rhetoric.
Yes, LGBTQ+ folks can be racist and uphold white supremacy - our community is generally more aware of that than cis straight people. Chappelle is entitled to discuss any racism he’s experienced from members of the community, but that can be talked about without being transphobic. Which he absolutely is.
Firstly, Chappelle came right out and identified himself as a TERF, which is basically someone who does not believe that trans women are valid women. It is an inherently transphobic position, and it’s disappointing to see him hold fast to a harmful ideology often pushed by right-wing white people.
Chappelle intentionally and repeatedly misgendered LGBTQ+ folks.
Misgendering is not a joke.
It may be something you personally don’t understand the offense of, but you not understanding LGBTQ+ issues is exactly why you should listen to us when we speak about issues in our own community and not a cis straight man who insists on pushing anti-LGBTQ+ rhetoric.
When LGBTQ+ folks are loudly and collectively saying “this is harmful to our community”, cis straight people don’t get to determine that it’s untrue.
There are literal studies on the effects of misgendering people. It negatively impacts both mental and physical health, and as trans folks are misgendered, their risk of suicide increases. Guess who else was misgendered and committed suicide days after the release of Chappelle’s earlier special?
Chappelle’s trans “friend” Daphne, whom he uses as a shield from LGBTQ+ criticism - the same exact way racist white folks play their “I have a Black friend” card to avoid accountability for their racist commentary.
What’s worse is the fact that Daphne’s best friend has since posted their side of the story, which indicates Chappelle was never particularly close to Daphne, and he couldn’t be bothered to show up to any of the memorial services that took place - or even make a statement about her. They didn’t even hear from him.
But Chappelle has no issue using Daphne and her death to protect himself while pushing anti-trans rhetoric at the same time - not only does he use her to avoid accountability, he goes as far as to suggest it’s the fault of the LGBTQ+ community for her death. Talk about gaslighting. Daphne chose to end her life DAYS after the release of one of specials where he made jokes about her, and he blames the LGBTQ+ community instead of wondering if he contributed to her decision to end her life.
Alongside his massive transphobia, Chappelle also makes jokes about violence against LGBTQ+ folks, women, and sex workers. Every single one of these groups are disproportionately impacted by violence. It was cringe, to say the least.
I’m struggling to find the substance or comic relief of this. The only point I could remotely see Chappelle trying to make was that white LGBTQ+ folks benefit from whiteness, and that could’ve easily been made without making trans people a constant target of transphobic rhetoric.
The fact that so many of y’all are willing to overlook blatant transphobia in the name of “comedy” is telling. Blackface used to be considered “comedy” also - how many of y’all want to defend that?
Comedy that relies on bigotry isn’t comedy at all.
To add fuel to the fire, LGBTQ+ voices who have spoken up to criticize Chappelle have been met with attempts of silence, both from cishet individuals as well as institutions.
Netflix fired multiple trans people who spoke up, including a pregnant Black person who was organizing the workplace to be more inclusive and respectful of workers.
This goes beyond bad jokes.
As Terra Field, a trans woman who was fired (and then reinstated after backlash) from Netflix said
“Dave is not, and has never been, the cause of this problem — he is a symptom of it. That Dave believes the things he says and can say them with relative impunity is a result of the culture we live in: a culture that marginalizes and devalues trans people.”
Y’all need to understand that transphobia or otherwise queerphobia does not have to be intentional, just as racism does not require intent. But simply saying “I don’t have a problem with trans people” or “I have a trans friend” does not mean you are immune from transphobia or otherwise queerphobia.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Blut posted:

The mods are out of loving control.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The mods did the right thing.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
It's funny that in college among my peers the FAANG companies were considered the cream of the crop but now I'm happy for having nothing to do with them.

Working at a tech company with name recognition is a curse, not a blessing. The last thing you want is your company's name in people's mouths.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I'm sure there's a early peroid of time in their early history where you can make gangbusters money and then exit out before they re-invent weird cult culture and other things they re-invented like being anti union and super non overtime work.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

no hay camino posted:

It's funny that in college among my peers the FAANG companies were considered the cream of the crop but now I'm happy for having nothing to do with them.

Working at a tech company with name recognition is a curse, not a blessing. The last thing you want is your company's name in people's mouths.

The trick is you get one of those on your resume and bail for a startup by opening your LinkedIn page and answering one of the hundred messages you have.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

hobbesmaster posted:

The trick is you get one of those on your resume and bail for a startup by opening your LinkedIn page and answering one of the hundred messages you have.

Hope you enjoy working 80 hour weeks for what turns out to be a narcissistic nut job that you are in no way insulated from. Maybe you'll be a millionaire when you get acquired, maybe your job doesn't disappear with the founder and your last months back salary when the place goes under!

Go for those boring midrange companies that have room to grow, but which have been around long enough that they've managed to grind some of the edges into smoothness. Put in your 40 and live your life. Embrace mediocrity.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Volmarias posted:

Hope you enjoy working 80 hour weeks for what turns out to be a narcissistic nut job that you are in no way insulated from. Maybe you'll be a millionaire when you get acquired, maybe your job doesn't disappear with the founder and your last months back salary when the place goes under!

Go for those boring midrange companies that have room to grow, but which have been around long enough that they've managed to grind some of the edges into smoothness. Put in your 40 and live your life. Embrace mediocrity.

This guy knows what's up

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Volmarias posted:

strong agree

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Work to live, don't live to work.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

G1mby posted:

They really aren't unusable for making nuclear weapons - the standard CANDU design is capable of on-load refueling, which helps if you want to do a low fuel burnup for generating Pu-239 - it's the same overall geometry as the Windscale Piles, which were just for plutonium breeding. You also breed a lot a tritium in the moderator if you want to get spicy with a fusion booster.

Now, it'll be very obvious that you are doing this and you need to process the fuel to get the plutonium out which is not an easy task (but easier than enriching uranium) and the usual operation of the reactors is not in this low burnup mode (as you'd expect, it very inefficient from a power generation perspective). CANDU is a great design and should be used more, but it is one that does have a proliferation concern - more than the various PWR designs that can't do on-load refueling.

On the one hand, yeah, but on the other hand, for any existing nuclear armed state and any major industrial power I don't see why super secret proliferation using power reactors is a concern. Sure, lean on like Iran or North Korea or random People's Democratic Republics with a rotating cast of tinpot dictators to not use CANDUs, but if China or France or Japan wanted to make nuke material they could just do it without lying about running a reactor for peaceful purposes.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Oct 22, 2021

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

paperwind posted:

The mods are out of loving control.

Ahh, I forgot this thread was in D&D. Mods here are petty little bitches.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Just post through it bro!!!!!

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
Interesting if eh slightly aggressive responses re: Netflix/Chappelle. I've no dog in the fight, I don't know Chappelle's background of views so amn't here to defend him. If hes a notorious bigot thats obviously not good and he deserves to get called out on that. But the employee protests don't seem to be about anything hes said in the past (and didn't occur then), they seem to be explicitly about the views espoused on the current Netflix special, no?

And obviously videos like the one in my post speak for themselves. Those protestors don't look reasonable with their actions/behaviour. Or with physically storming into senior staff meetings in Netflix, leaking confidential internal financial data etc. Surely theres a more adult way to have a conversation about workplace issues?

To be clear I'm not defending Chappelle himself overall, my post was just stating that to my non-American eyes having watched the show in question it seemed if anything to raise awareness of the dangers of bullying of trans people, and talk about feminist issues. It just doesn't seem transphobic at all. If anything hes a lot harsher on Jewish people in it, but there don't seem to be any protests about that. I'd love to know what exactly actual American tech workers, not the media, think he says in it is transphobic - and what they think Netflix should be doing about it?

(not even from an arguing against them point of view either - just literally to be informed. It all seems a completely alien mindset/workplace reaction to people not from the US, even those with liberal LGBT social views within similar fields of work. I hope asking that doesn't result in another probation...)

lordofthefishes
Mar 30, 2008

01000111 01010010 01000101 01000101 01010100 01001001 01001110 01000111 01010011 00100000 01000110 01000101 01001100 01001100 01001111 01010111 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001110 01000001 01000100 01001001 01000001 01001110 01010011

G1mby posted:

They really aren't unusable for making nuclear weapons - the standard CANDU design is capable of on-load refueling, which helps if you want to do a low fuel burnup for generating Pu-239 - it's the same overall geometry as the Windscale Piles, which were just for plutonium breeding. You also breed a lot a tritium in the moderator if you want to get spicy with a fusion booster.

Now, it'll be very obvious that you are doing this and you need to process the fuel to get the plutonium out which is not an easy task (but easier than enriching uranium) and the usual operation of the reactors is not in this low burnup mode (as you'd expect, it very inefficient from a power generation perspective). CANDU is a great design and should be used more, but it is one that does have a proliferation concern - more than the various PWR designs that can't do on-load refueling.

Okay, *effectively* unusable for making nuclear weapons. If being used as nuclear reactors. To make power.

Sure is strange how other, more easily weaponised designs are widely favoured (and even generate power well at the same time)!

Edit: fixing a typo

lordofthefishes fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Oct 22, 2021

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Blut posted:

Those protestors don't look reasonable with their actions/behaviour. Or with physically storming into senior staff meetings in Netflix, leaking confidential internal financial data etc. Surely theres a more adult way to have a conversation about workplace issues?

I'll let others reply to your other questions but I'll address this one.

When you get a protest and a sole person turns up with a banner counter to that, bad things will happen. He knew this, it was intentional, he's clearly trolling. Yes it worked but it would have worked with almost any protest for any cause as all you need is 1 person to snap and react to you and in a group of hundreds of people that person is almost guaranteed to exist. So you just walk amongst them antagonising people until you find that person and 'tadaaaa' you've managed to villify a whole protest. And if you arnt patient enough you plant that person to guarantee it will happen.

It's a tactic that's been around forever and commonly used by police world wide to justify violence.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Blut posted:

Interesting if eh slightly aggressive responses re: Netflix/Chappelle. I've no dog in the fight, I don't know Chappelle's background of views so amn't here to defend him. If hes a notorious bigot thats obviously not good and he deserves to get called out on that. But the employee protests don't seem to be about anything hes said in the past (and didn't occur then), they seem to be explicitly about the views espoused on the current Netflix special, no?

And obviously videos like the one in my post speak for themselves. Those protestors don't look reasonable with their actions/behaviour. Or with physically storming into senior staff meetings in Netflix, leaking confidential internal financial data etc. Surely theres a more adult way to have a conversation about workplace issues?

To be clear I'm not defending Chappelle himself overall, my post was just stating that to my non-American eyes having watched the show in question it seemed if anything to raise awareness of the dangers of bullying of trans people, and talk about feminist issues. It just doesn't seem transphobic at all. If anything hes a lot harsher on Jewish people in it, but there don't seem to be any protests about that. I'd love to know what exactly actual American tech workers, not the media, think he says in it is transphobic - and what they think Netflix should be doing about it?

(not even from an arguing against them point of view either - just literally to be informed. It all seems a completely alien mindset/workplace reaction to people not from the US, even those with liberal LGBT social views within similar fields of work. I hope asking that doesn't result in another probation...)

Im just asking questions

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Blut posted:

This particular bit didn't happen. It was a digital meeting and the employee in question was provided the link by a director, which is obviously an implicit invitation to attend. She's since been reinstated:

https://twitter.com/rainofterra/status/1448097310026747908

lordofthefishes
Mar 30, 2008

01000111 01010010 01000101 01000101 01010100 01001001 01001110 01000111 01010011 00100000 01000110 01000101 01001100 01001100 01001111 01010111 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001110 01000001 01000100 01001001 01000001 01001110 01010011

Blut posted:

To be clear I'm not defending Chappelle himself overall, my post was just stating that to my non-American eyes having watched the show in question it seemed if anything to raise awareness of the dangers of bullying of trans people, and talk about feminist issues. It just doesn't seem transphobic at all. If anything hes a lot harsher on Jewish people in it, but there don't seem to

be any protests about that. I'd love to know what exactly actual American tech workers, not the media, think he says in it is transphobic - and what they think Netflix should be doing about it?

As someone not from the US, let me help you out here.

He openly identified himself as being a transphobic rear end, a bigot, and just generally a terrible human being over the years. Netflix gave the shithead a platform. People are angry they put money above all else.

Netflix should not have carried his show. They should apologise publicly. The "comedy" special should be removed from their platform. They. Should. Have. Been. Better.

"Why are these jokes about a group from this bigot not appreciated by that group?"

Not the hill I would have picked, but you do you.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

duz posted:

Oh, you're the 10% guy. That explains this very stupid post.

Oh gently caress, it's that guy again?

For those who came in late :ghostwhowalks:

Blut posted:

If someone is in the bottom 10%~ of society (ie they can't manage basic lifestyle costs that the vast majority of Americans can) then they're financially incompetent, yes. I think thats fairly self evident. If you're in the bottom 10% of any performance metric you've failed at the task.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i mean that's one way to deal with the fact people are being crushed by poverty for the benefit of the top, they deserve it lol! The system works.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Blut posted:

I've no dog in the fight, I don't know Chappelle's background of views so amn't here to defend him.

This is some framing here, trying to claim that because you aren't personally trans or don't know Chappelle's background, you have some moral high ground or special perspective that should be considered. Also note that they didn't even mention the trans perspective, except to say that it was "aggressive".

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Blut posted:

. I hope asking that doesn't result in another probation...)

Protip: if you are afraid to say it out of fear of punishment, its because its a bad opinion and you already know better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Ransomare ops are mad because one team just got taken down by a multi-country effort to sieze the servers they had

https://twitter.com/darktracer_int/status/1451556403324198921?s=20

Check out the racism.