Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

so is the way to go to use curses to raise DPS on bane now? i remember it used to be you wanted vixen's to cast one for you before the curse changes but rip. anyway i remember the best bane builds only having despair and maybe temp chains in the actual bane link like 2 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Random musing - It seems like they took out quite a bit of elemental penetration from the tree. This is kind of an indirect buff to the a crit inquisitor as well as one of my favorite dumb weird uniques, Abhorrent Interrogation.

Trickster energy blade with harness the void + some attack and wither totems giving you bonuses to both chaos and lighting damage.

Note that -res from various sources as well as exposure are still good in that setup.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

This guy has a couple vids on Bane Occultist.
No idea if its any good, but the person on reddit who made the call out for all the scam builds seemed to think he was legit.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I think I've settled on phys trapper.

I've played:
ED/C Trickster / CoC Cold Assassin (Heist)
BF/BB Chieftain (Ritual)
FA Elementalist (Ultimatum)
FR Totem Hiero / Phys Cyclone Glad / SST Raider (Expedition)

It's nice to still have major archetypes that are available for me to explore. Really need to hit up a summoner build one league.. maybe this one. Probably should have done it when spectres were still broken, oh well.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Did they nerf the Rhoas this patch because I swear Mud Flats kills me more than Sirus ever could now, so much stun.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

MMF Freeway posted:

I've decided, after much waffling, that I'm gonna play the poison potion skill. Had a go in PoB and the damage is pretty respectable with no damage mods on gear and the poison masteries are just so good. I saw it was one of Mathils starters but I don't think it matters because of how little specific gear you need.

Nugy also has a detail build he was making yesterday. If its not up already you can find his twitch stream where he went over making it. It seems solid, 1m dps, if you can get them to shotgun its 5m dps on almost no gear.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Urgh now I’m torn between exsang/sabo or trying out minions using ghazzys slave drivers which have 14m dps on a 6L and pretty easy gear to get but scales very well.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Dias posted:

Did they nerf the Rhoas this patch because I swear Mud Flats kills me more than Sirus ever could now, so much stun.

lolno. They didn't buff up any of the other acts though.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

drat it feels good to have decided on a build weeks ago, parked a name for and as more reveals showed up the more I am sticking with the plan.
Slam totems, let's go.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Thinkin' about a Necromancer this league. Kay's guides seem comprehensive, so I assume they're a good resource?

Another question: is the chaos recipe worth it if you're a very, very slow player? I only get 1-2 hours in on the average day, so I won't be hitting maps until at least 4-5 days into the league. Once I'm there I take my time, usually running one or two maps at a time in between other stuff rather than setting up dedicated hours to go fast as possible.

I ask because a lot of the downsides I see when reading about the recipe is that if you're zooming through multiple maps efficiently the precious seconds spent grabbing and vendoring rares adds up. Not sure if that's less of an issue if I was never going fast between maps no matter what, or if only stopping for currency and top-tier bases is the right call anyway.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm doing either Wintertide Brand CI Occultist (transition to LL if I care enough for my starter) or Arc Ignite Elementalist. Both of which can get me to reds and let me farm for whatever I roll next, both have a chance to be really solid endgame builds.

The decision will be made when I complete the quest at level 12.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Might do Exsang Scion.

two minutes later

Maybe I'll start with minions after all.

two minutes later

You know I've never really done a trap build...

two minutes later

Oh hey, blazing salvo + flame wall is always good times for a bit..

two minutes later

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Thinkin' about a Necromancer this league. Kay's guides seem comprehensive, so I assume they're a good resource?

Another question: is the chaos recipe worth it if you're a very, very slow player? I only get 1-2 hours in on the average day, so I won't be hitting maps until at least 4-5 days into the league. Once I'm there I take my time, usually running one or two maps at a time in between other stuff rather than setting up dedicated hours to go fast as possible.

I ask because a lot of the downsides I see when reading about the recipe is that if you're zooming through multiple maps efficiently the precious seconds spent grabbing and vendoring rares adds up. Not sure if that's less of an issue if I was never going fast between maps no matter what, or if only stopping for currency and top-tier bases is the right call anyway.

Chaos recipe is good day 1 and probably if you're slow it stays goodish for a while. I say there's no harm in using the Chaos Recipe Enhancer tool and doing that while you're leveling to get some extra currency.

I'm probably gonna try to do the whole Heist farming thing after lvl 53 myself for an early currency boost, even tho I'm not sure I quite understand it - you just buy Chance orb contracts and run them, coming back every level-up?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I'm a pretty slow player myself, at least by this threads standards, and it's never not been an utter waste of my time. You make more money just running a plain white map for currency drops. That said on like the first day sometimes I need just 1 or 2 extra C and its worth.

Also does anyone know what the league rewards are gonna be like. I know about the krangling and the krangle tree, but like, does Scourge have targeted drops and poo poo? Or is it just basically an extra few screens of enemies and we're gonna get dogshit from it. Im praying for another early tabula league.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The only time i find chaos recipe worthwhile at all is while delving

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Speaking of vendor recipes, do y'all use the 5x chance recipe on leaguestart? 1 item of each rarity (normal, magic, rare, unique) gives 5 chance orbs, it's massive for buying maps from zana to progress the atlas quickly. Way better than alch shards.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Hell no

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Larry Parrish posted:

so is the way to go to use curses to raise DPS on bane now? i remember it used to be you wanted vixen's to cast one for you before the curse changes but rip. anyway i remember the best bane builds only having despair and maybe temp chains in the actual bane link like 2 years ago

The support nerfs made using more curses less of a dps hit, so most builds use at least 2, often 3. Despair, temp chains and whatever fits your colors on a +lotsogem chest/bow/staff.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cynic Jester posted:

The support nerfs made using more curses less of a dps hit, so most builds use at least 2, often 3. Despair, temp chains and whatever fits your colors on a +lotsogem chest/bow/staff.

Thanks gamer. I haven't done bane for a while...

Lmao I can't decide at all still.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Her guides are what I'm working off of. I'll probably make some adjustments for more damage but otherwise her skeleton skill tree is roughly the same as what I initially laid out in PoB so I'm going to defer to her significantly greater amount of playtime and experience. My skill tree was probably too glass cannon, even for SC, anyways.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They should launch the league rn imho.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

euphronius posted:

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Reminder that TR champ is a SSFHC build - it is incredibly tanky and relatively easy to gear at the cost of being a bit slow and tapering off in roi. Raider TR would probably feel better for SC people that don't mind dying once in a while, and other bow builds get much faster with serious investment.

If anyone is interested, Balormage took Lightee's TR Champ and retooled it for softcore. More damage, slightly less defense (still insanely tanky)

https://pastebin.com/8sqwEcqd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnEQ_29-mhs

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Speaking of vendor recipes, do y'all use the 5x chance recipe on leaguestart? 1 item of each rarity (normal, magic, rare, unique) gives 5 chance orbs, it's massive for buying maps from zana to progress the atlas quickly. Way better than alch shards.

Not really but that seems pretty ok as a thing to keep in mind during leveling if a trash unique drops.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

euphronius posted:

How about "no" because I'm still at work for the next 2 hours.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

whypick1 posted:

How about "no" because I'm still at work for the next 2 hours.

No they should launch now so that all the launch bugs will be ironed out by the time we working stiffs get home.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Think I'm gonna start Octavian's version of the Spectral Helix build since it's the kind of build I haven't done in ages (projectiles/bottom of the tree), it's nicely tanky which I like, and it's got good damage with lovely starter gear (the 365dps axe is about the only tough thing to get). Setting gem levels/quality down and adjusting to 5L with very little on config still gives me 670k dps vs Sirus in POB which seems plenty.

One thing I don't like about his version is that, being HC, he doesn't prioritize going fast much. POB doesn't even have a movement skill lol. It has decent inc attack speed, what's the go-to attack-based movement skill in these modern POE days?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Two minutes later

Is there a fun league-startable self-cast slam build right now? (Not Generals Cry, not totems, not traps.)

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

docbeard posted:

No they should launch now so that all the launch bugs will be ironed out by the time we working stiffs get home.

You're not considering download time into this.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

God, no

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

docbeard posted:

Two minutes later

Is there a fun league-startable self-cast slam build right now? (Not Generals Cry, not totems, not traps.)

Slams aren't god tier anymore but they're fine imo. You could league start basically any of the slam skills and be fine, although the only one I like is Consecrated Path and Ground Slam (which does kind of suck). I wish Perforate counted as a slam skill, because it's pretty good, especially in sand stance.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

I hate Dying

even in trade SC.

I hate dying and I'm too lazy to trade which is why I've been yoinking ssfhc builds* for league start for awhile now.

*more often than not just doing whatever steel is doing

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

Slams aren't god tier anymore but they're fine imo. You could league start basically any of the slam skills and be fine, although the only one I like is Consecrated Path and Ground Slam (which does kind of suck). I wish Perforate counted as a slam skill, because it's pretty good, especially in sand stance.

I do keep meaning to try Consecrated Path, hmmmm.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

The only time I get chance orbs from a vendor recipe is when I accidently sell mirrored 6 socket items

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

docbeard posted:

I do keep meaning to try Consecrated Path, hmmmm.

Fist of War support is really good and CP is like Flicker-lite, is an AoE, and the teleport isn't very far but it still means you always hit your target unlike strike skills. It's very nice. Plus damage conversion shenanigans.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Larry Parrish posted:

Perforate is a slam. I leagues started it back in...Harvest? When slams were introduced. I switched to Earthshatter later because it was more fun imo.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I notice Octavian's Spectral Helix build uses Ancestral Cry despite seemingly only benefiting from the +Armor since it has no Strike skills. Besides Ancestral Protector, but his POB isn't using it for damage. Am I missing something about this skill? While the armor boost is nice, is it really big enough to be worth using over another Cry skill, like IDK Intimidating Cry or some poo poo?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Traxis posted:

If anyone is interested, Balormage took Lightee's TR Champ and retooled it for softcore. More damage, slightly less defense (still insanely tanky)

https://pastebin.com/8sqwEcqd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnEQ_29-mhs

kinda bonkers, only 122% life on tree but has like 60k ehp against a phys hit, with max hit taken as 39000 against phys when enemy damage is 10k. gently caress champion is insane.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I wish they would revert seismic cry :(

The only nerf they ever did that hurts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The only chance recipe I use is the two rares with same name one, and even then generally only because it's often a challenge