Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Alec Baldwin: I shot the sherif, but I should not have shot Boss Baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Skwirl posted:

The crew was non-union and Alec Baldwin, as producer, would be at least partially responsible for the decision to hire clearly unqualified non-union crew, likely either to save money or because he was worried an IATSE strike would delay production.

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/10/alec-baldwin-fires-gun-kills-cinematographer-wounds-director-on-rust-set-1234673555/

quote:

Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins was killed on the New Mexico set of the film “Rust” after she was shot by a prop gun fired by the film’s star and producer, Alec Baldwin. IATSE Local 44, which covers prop masters, sent an email to its members early Friday morning that said the gun used in the scene contained “a live round” and the production’s propmaster was not a member of Local 44. Director Joel Souza also was hit and injured by a bullet and was treated at an area hospital before being released.

So I guess all the theorycrafting was unnecessary, the gun just had a live round in it and it's that simple. It probably passed directly through the videographer who was killed and into the director.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

the bullet would likely not have passed through a beefier union videographer

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

SNL: Darrell Hammond is back, baby.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

wa27 posted:

Maybe he shot twice!

He was fanning the trigger, mystery solved. Also this seems more of a Stephen move, has he broken his silence?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
He'll never beat Cecil B Demille if he doesn't get back on the horse

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Why is the "live round" source the guys who explicitly say they had nothing to do with the prop?

Vakal
May 11, 2008
There have been so many close calls when it comes to accidently loaded guns in movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmL2orQTw-M&t=27s

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Alec Baldwin: I shot the sherif, but I should not have shot Boss Baby

lol

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Always treat a Baldwin as if they are loaded

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Nothing more boring

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Backweb posted:

SNL: Darrell Hammond is back, baby.

They actually have a good Trump impersonator now, that Austin guy

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Sighence posted:

Why is the "live round" source the guys who explicitly say they had nothing to do with the prop?

Leaks. There will have been probably a few people on the inside in the film crew unhappy that the union team had to walk and who shared their gun safety on set concerns and misgivings over the chucklefuck armorer.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

I’m hearing that a nasty little gnome came out of its hidey-hole and put real bullets into the gun when Alec was on his break— apparently a non-union propmaster disturbed its treasure hoard. Related to malevolent cave-dwelling “little people” of American Indian folklore? We don’t know yet

still lol-ing at this post, now proven to be 100% correct

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Death By Scab

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Leaks. There will have been probably a few people on the inside in the film crew unhappy that the union team had to walk and who shared their gun safety on set concerns and misgivings over the chucklefuck armorer.

There are a LOT of production assistants online compared to even 5 years ago I’ve noticed. Especially on Reddit. I’d at the very least listen to what they are saying and then wait for the investigation to run it’s course.

Someone asked before if the footage is saved and I’m thinking it’s probably with the police if not destroyed at this point. After Brandon Lee got shot his death footage was destroyed and nobody went to jail for “destroying evidence” so I don’t know.

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

Justin Godscock posted:

There are a LOT of production assistants online compared to even 5 years ago I’ve noticed. Especially on Reddit. I’d at the very least listen to what they are saying and then wait for the investigation to run it’s course.

Someone asked before if the footage is saved and I’m thinking it’s probably with the police if not destroyed at this point. After Brandon Lee got shot his death footage was destroyed and nobody went to jail for “destroying evidence” so I don’t know.

Wow thanks

you plus or minus dirrhea

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
the rounds that were fired:

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

it was just a prank and for some reason everyone is taking it so seriously. people are so soft these days :rolleyes:

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

He's tweeting

https://twitter.com/AlecBaldwin/status/1451572461787439106?s=20
https://twitter.com/AlecBaldwin/status/1451573351588106246?s=20

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

That sucks :shrug:

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

it was just a prank and for some reason everyone is taking it so seriously. people are so soft these days :rolleyes:

That's mostly why they die when you shoot them.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Don't be blind!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I know disproving someone that dumb is pointless but nobody is trying to ban prop guns and an improperly configured prop gun is the issue here. It has nothing to do with normal guns

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

still lol-ing at this post, now proven to be 100% correct

Thank you. When a crime is committed with no apparent motive, it’s best to look to man’s oldest enemy

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Play posted:

I know disproving someone that dumb is pointless but

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Bronze Fonz posted:

Don't be blind!

the internet was a mistake

can we GoFundMe a time machine assassin to go after Vint CerfCharles Babbage

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I know, I know I'm sorry

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Bronze Fonz posted:

Don't be blind!

I hate these people so loving much

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The inevitable legislative response is the real tragedy

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The Bloop posted:

I assume this is just lazy and/or clickbait journalism right now rather than proper industry jargon, whatever that would be

No, I think it's to make clear the circumstances of the accident -- that an actor fired a gun specifically intended to be a safe movie prop, which turned out to be not safe and killed someone by accident.

Because otherwise "Alec Baldwin fatally shoots crew member with real gun" sounds more like Alec Baldwin went crazy and pulled a glock on set and opened fire.

It may not be a "prop gun" but it's a "prop (an object on a movie set), gun".

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
I for one am gladdened to see the probation and hopefully future banning of forums poster "boner m".

What an awful tragedy but at least there's light somewhere.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Rumors going around that the film's camera department collectively quit on the morning of the incident, citing no pay for three weeks and terrible safety on set (explicitly pointing out gun safety).

Bear in mind, it's talking about just the camera department, not the entire crew (which is likely how most news will clickbait it), but it's a big red flag that poo poo was pretty bad.

e: none of this is confirmed yet, it would be a bit weird how they managed to replace them with non-union members at such short notice. Not saying it's impossible, might even have been the reason Halyna was operating the camera herself, just saying right now it's still a rumor

Steadiman fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 22, 2021

fartman
Sep 19, 2021

Bronze Fonz posted:

Don't be blind!

do these people think that nobody ever gets shot and killed or something?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

fartman posted:

it's called schizophrenia

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

fartman posted:

Guns don't kill people.

Nothing kills people

People can't die.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Klyith posted:

It may not be a "prop gun" but it's a "prop (an object on a movie set), gun".

When a stuntman falls off a motorcycle or gets hit by a car, we don't say they were injured riding a prop motorcycle or got hit by a prop car.

If it is industry jargon to use the term "prop gun" for both a fake gun used only as a prop and a real gun that happens to be used as a prop, then that just speaks to the lousy industry safety philosophy that contributed to this incident. Real guns are fundamentally not safe movie props. And regardless of what the industry jargon is, the headlines going around now are meant for laypeople, not industry insiders, and it's bad reporting to use the ambiguous "prop gun" descriptor if it was a real gun. If it was indeed a real gun, the fact that movie sets still use real guns in the hands of actors and crew who apparently do not follow basic, fundamental principles of firearms safety is newsworthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

fartman posted:

theyre dumb as hell