Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

blk posted:

Thanks! A neighbor ended up finding the key but I’ll definitely remember this for when needed.

I noticed a couple of lines hanging low in the front of the car and grabbed a photo as I was walking away - didn’t have time to take a closer look. Anything I should be worried about? It’s the 325xi

Every E46 ever leaks power steering fluid, just keep it topped up unless it starts absolutely pissing :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Fix this sooner rather than later, my e46's high pressure lines catastrophically sprayed fluid everywhere

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That is probably the safer idea, keep in mind that there are two different pump types on the e46 so verify which one you have before you order

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I've got a line on a 2.8 crank and I really should pull my steering rack and I like the vintage nature of my stroker e30.

I should buy the crank and rev it to 9k instead of obd1m52 swapping right?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
November 1st production date just changed to "Making room in production schedule"

Buying goods and services in 2021 owns

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Crunchy Black posted:

I've got a line on a 2.8 crank and I really should pull my steering rack and I like the vintage nature of my stroker e30.

Revving it to 9k is always the best option IMHO

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Crunchy Black posted:

Don't M20s kind of fall flat on their face after like 6500RPM? Can't imagine using an ETA crank helps that any

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Voltage posted:

Fix this sooner rather than later, my e46's high pressure lines catastrophically sprayed fluid everywhere

Thanks, do the lines normally hang low like that or is a side effect of low fluid? I'm worried about snagging them on something.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

As you get older, things naturally start to sag down there. Low fluid volume can be addressed with medication.

Wait, what were we talking about?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

rscott posted:

Don't M20s kind of fall flat on their face after like 6500RPM? Can't imagine using an ETA crank helps that any

Mine has always fallen flat after 4500 :goleft: but I’m hoping that’s a fueling issue.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

November 1st production date just changed to "Making room in production schedule"

Buying goods and services in 2021 owns

Why did you decide to get rid of the M2 and buy a 3 series again, especially in TYOOL 2021?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Residency Evil posted:

Why did you decide to get rid of the M2 and buy a 3 series again, especially in TYOOL 2021?

I needed every last penny I could get my hands on last year. Things are better now and I am ready to get back in an Ultimate Driving Machine.

The M340i is my favorite current production BMW!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Let's talk winter wheels and tires. The only wheels on Tire Rack's website for my M4 are these ugly and expensive ones:

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whe...ckageFlow=false

They're a smaller OD than the stock ones, so the tires are a lot cheaper ($273/apiece for Blizzaks instead of $350/440 F/R for the Pirellis). Getting just the Pirelli tires would be $1580 + tx and getting the new wheels and the Blizzaks would be $2230 + tx, BUT I don't have the equipment to mount and balance tires so I'd have to pay for a place to mount and balance them twice a year, probably making the cost about the same over the 3 year lease.

I'm also concerned about curbing the OEM wheels in the winter a lot more than during the summer.

Thoughts?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

KillHour posted:

Let's talk winter wheels and tires. The only wheels on Tire Rack's website for my M4 are these ugly and expensive ones:

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whe...ckageFlow=false

They're a smaller OD than the stock ones, so the tires are a lot cheaper ($273/apiece for Blizzaks instead of $350/440 F/R for the Pirellis). Getting just the Pirelli tires would be $1580 + tx and getting the new wheels and the Blizzaks would be $2230 + tx, BUT I don't have the equipment to mount and balance tires so I'd have to pay for a place to mount and balance them twice a year, probably making the cost about the same over the 3 year lease.

I'm also concerned about curbing the OEM wheels in the winter a lot more than during the summer.

Thoughts?

My vote is just buy the ugly wheels and get Blizzaks mounted. Your factory wheels will take infinity more damage than just curbing in the winter time. The grit and salt that is laid down just wrecks the finish of the wheels and trying to keep them clean would mean getting them coated and really scrubbing wheels; just not worth it in my opinion. The tires will age out probably around the same time too.

Tires don't really want to be mounted/unmounted over and over either. And the increased chances of damaging the wheel during the mounting process with these low profile tires just does not seem worth it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Somewhat Heroic posted:

My vote is just buy the ugly wheels and get Blizzaks mounted. Your factory wheels will take infinity more damage than just curbing in the winter time. The grit and salt that is laid down just wrecks the finish of the wheels and trying to keep them clean would mean getting them coated and really scrubbing wheels; just not worth it in my opinion. The tires will age out probably around the same time too.

Tires don't really want to be mounted/unmounted over and over either. And the increased chances of damaging the wheel during the mounting process with these low profile tires just does not seem worth it.

As much as I don't want to change my wheels with hand tools and a jack in the cold I think you're right. I wish they weren't so ugly though :(

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

bmw M340i branded fedoras and gloves

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I keep my winter tires mounted on Ugly Rims so I don't care about mishaps and whatnot. I just take my wheels to Les Schwab tire center and they rotate them on for like $15

The only annoying part is they assume you're asking for tires to be mounted and you have to work real hard to convince them that this is actually just a rotation, with wheels in the trunk

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

:shepspends:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Bape Culture posted:

bmw M340i branded fedoras and gloves

I'm clicking the link but it's not loading the store??

Help>?!

bergeoisie
Aug 29, 2004
Part of the M340ilady collection

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I went to the BMW website to find the tackiest accessories I could but instead I accidentally stumbled on the solution to COVID ruining car prices!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
definitely going to pry the 340i part off and have a M'Lady badge

Already reserved the vanity plate FAKEM3

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

KillHour posted:

As much as I don't want to change my wheels with hand tools and a jack in the cold I think you're right. I wish they weren't so ugly though :(

Hard to swallow pills: all aftermarket wheels are ugly with an exception of like four or five wheel designs:

TE37's and BBS LM's and variants...and that might be it. Maybe one HRE wheel style?

Your car is usually covered in winter grime so the ugliness of the wheels will be masked. Having superior handling and driving dynamics in winter conditions will be worth it though. If you can undersize the wheel and get more sidewall I bet it would be an extremely good drive in the white stuff.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I really like the Enkei ones I put on my FoRS for winter duty.

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whe...RS&autoModClar=

But that's because tuner wheels work on a car like that in a way they don't on a BMW.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tire Rack just emailed me saying there's a 2-3 month lead time on the wheels :suicide:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Buy a set of non-M takeoffs for cheap, put winters on them, and sell the takeoff tires

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Buy a set of non-M takeoffs for cheap, put winters on them, and sell the takeoff tires

Will those fit? The M3/M4 has 19 front / 20 rear and the m440i has 18 inch square wheels.

Tire Rack called me and said the only thing they had in stock was a set of 20 inch BBS wheels for literally $580 apiece. Maybe I'll just drive the FoRS all winter and my SO will either have to wait for me to drive her places or finally learn stick.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Imagine leasing a high-5-figure car and then worrying about paying for mounting, balancing, and swapping winter tires.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Anyone have an outdoor car cover they use/like? I don’t drive everyday and car doesn’t fit in the garage in my current living situation so I’d like to get some sort of cover to protect against tree spuge and children hands and etc. The official BMW E91 one seems backordered and probably out of production at this point.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KillHour posted:

Will those fit? The M3/M4 has 19 front / 20 rear and the m440i has 18 inch square wheels.

Tire Rack called me and said the only thing they had in stock was a set of 20 inch BBS wheels for literally $580 apiece. Maybe I'll just drive the FoRS all winter and my SO will either have to wait for me to drive her places or finally learn stick.

I'm not sure, some research is to be done, for sure.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

TheBacon posted:

car doesn’t fit in the garage in my current living situation

A fate none deserve, my friend

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Imagine leasing a high-5-figure car and then worrying about paying for mounting, balancing, and swapping winter tires.

It's not about the cost of the tires, it's about loving up the OEM wheels, which are very expensive. I also have other cars to worry about wrt maintenance costs and that poo poo is starting to add up.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Here's the OEM BMW one holy poo poo it's expensive.

https://www.shopbmwusa.com/product/11336/BMW-829M-INCH-STYLE-829M-COLD-WEATHER-WHEEL-AND-TIRE-SET-IN-JET-BLACK-MATT

There's this guy, and if I assume the $2900 is CAD, that works out to about the same as the tirerack option, and I'm close enough to Canada that I can drive up and have them put on (if they let me in with the Covid poo poo).

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showpost.php?p=28040309&postcount=35
https://www.super-speed.ca/flowform-rf05rr

Edit: I sent superspeed an email asking them for some more info. Their prices are good and the wheel itself looks a lot better so if it works, I'll be happy.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 22, 2021

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

definitely going to pry the 340i part off and have a M'Lady badge

Already reserved the vanity plate FAKEM3
///M'Lady

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
KillHour
maybe check out what options you can find that will fit from Apex race wheels? the have some 18x9s that will fit f8x m3/m4 for 359/ea

TheBacon posted:

Anyone have an outdoor car cover they use/like? I don’t drive everyday and car doesn’t fit in the garage in my current living situation so I’d like to get some sort of cover to protect against tree spuge and children hands and etc. The official BMW E91 one seems backordered and probably out of production at this point.

dont use a car cover for a car stored outside. even the good ones will abrade your paint.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 22, 2021

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

KillHour posted:

my SO will either have to wait for me to drive her places or finally learn stick.

:allears:

Excited for your adventures on Tinder

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

A fate none deserve, my friend

Bike is more important and the garage is so small I am not sure I could squeeze out after pulling in

BraveUlysses posted:

dont use a car cover for a car stored outside. even the good ones will abrade your paint.

Welp was thinking that was better than the weird sappy pollen stuff and seed pod things that drop and bird poop (was hoping to have to do a lot less spot cleaning and less frequent washing), but I guess I’ll figure it out, living situation hopefully changing soon so it ideally would improve in terms of tree fodder. Do you not use a cover indoors either or is there a major difference there? I’ve frankly never owned a car I have felt it was worth trying to protect that much.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Just buy TE37s and win

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I put a car cover on my Aston because I didn't know better and the first time there was any wind, it was swirl city for the paint. Don't do it.

Bape Culture posted:

Just buy TE37s and win

They have a clone and I'm very tempted. 18s only though.

https://www.super-speed.ca/flowform-rf06rr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KillHour posted:

I put a car cover on my Aston because I didn't know better and the first time there was any wind, it was swirl city for the paint. Don't do it.

They have a clone and I'm very tempted. 18s only though.

https://www.super-speed.ca/flowform-rf06rr

I guess it’s good I’ve never covered.

Aren’t 18s better for winter if they clear brakes for more sidewall?