Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dongsturm posted:

:stare: I didn't realise he was an actual Nazi bootlicker. I thought he was just a common, garden variety chud.

he's 100% nazi. the statistics he starts quoting here are from a book called "The Bell Curve" a book funded by "The Pioneer Fund" which is a front for nazi racial science. i wrote a whole paper on this connection
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYqN0iGGjw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Geisladisk posted:

He probably isn't an outright nazi but he sure believes most of the same poo poo as they do, and outright nazis sure seem to like him a lot for some reason.

he is a nazi. any doubt you have is deliberately cultivated by him to spread nazi ideas better

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He’s mistakenly referenced “the fourth reich” when talking about World War II as well. It’s important to keep hold of the idea that there’s overlap between fascists and conservatives and the fine points of his doctrine don’t matter as much as what he encourages and allows, which is all that nazis want from him regardless of whether he refuses fascism because he thinks democracy works when restricted to property-owning men or whether he objects to genocide specifically but is fine with unregulated capitalism that has the same effect.

He’s like Stephen Pinker, who isn’t a fascist doctrinally, but that doesn’t make any practical difference because his panglossian liberalism and scientific racism feed fascists regardless.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don’t think you have to be aware that you’re a cryptofascist in order to be one. That’s where the whole “crypto-“ bit comes in.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
"I don't necessarily believe in Nazism, but I act as if it were true" ~ Jordan Peterson

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012
In one of his lectures he did a speech about how "if you were in Germany in the 1930s, you probably would have been a Nazi". I thought he was just doing some edgy piece to be proactive provocative , but now I wonder if it was a bit more malicious.

Maybe the message he wanted to get across was "imagine being a Nazi. it's not so bad when you think about it"

Dongsturm fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 22, 2021

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I believe Jorp’s ideology is what is commonly referred to as cryptofascism, and he is one of many “garden variety chuds” who is too stupid to realize that what he’s serving is just reheated nazi ideology.

I think he’s one of those who has said that he doesn’t subscribe to any ideology, which is the first sign of a deeply ideological person.

Jorp is always very reluctant to definitively offer solutions, but is very certain about the problems. He leads people through the process where he identified all the problems of society (and especially his target audience's unfulfilled lives) as being due to leftists, post-modernists and cultural Marxists sinisterly working at disturbing the correct and immutable hierarchies and corrupting natural social roles. And he also goes on at length about how order has to be imposed and maintained on the weak and chaotic by the strong, and how societies have to impose narrow norms on their members to remain stable and blah-blah-blah.

Of course there's a political philosophy out there that's very big on imposing order, letting thestrong dominate the weak, enforcing natural norms and purifying society from corrupting external influences.

Jorp's very careful to not say what politics his take on society leads to. But he's very useful for priming people to be receptive to those that offer the obvious answers to the problems that JP poses.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Rutibex posted:

he's 100% nazi. the statistics he starts quoting here are from a book called "The Bell Curve" a book funded by "The Pioneer Fund" which is a front for nazi racial science. i wrote a whole paper on this connection

Do you think you would like to share the paper? I’ve been wondering about that Bell Curve book and would be interested in more background. I mean, isn’t the main point basically “black people = low IQ.” I tried to search for academic criticisms of the book, but found it surprisingly difficult to find anything. That was a while ago, though, so maybe there is more now?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Rutibex posted:

Don't think of it as "the Jewish problem", think of it as "the Jewish opportunity."

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tac Dibar posted:

Do you think you would like to share the paper? I’ve been wondering about that Bell Curve book and would be interested in more background. I mean, isn’t the main point basically “black people = low IQ.” I tried to search for academic criticisms of the book, but found it surprisingly difficult to find anything. That was a while ago, though, so maybe there is more now?

sure, though its not just about JP its about crypto-fascist literature in canadian libraries. its kind of inside-baseball for librarians :v:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/oxhs...tRight.pdf/file

if you want a take-down of The Bell Curve this video is good. i think this guy is a goon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBc7qBS1Ujo

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 22, 2021

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Fortran Peterson

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Rutibex posted:

if you want a take-down of The Bell Curve this video is good. i think this guy is a goon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBc7qBS1Ujo

I don't know if he really posts anymore, but as I recall, Shaun was a goon at one point.

And I'll second the video. It's long, but well worth it as there's so much poo poo in The Bell Curve that it deserves a proper tear-down.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tac Dibar posted:

You might try looking for reviews from the time at which it was published. Everyone has known was it was from the moment it first came out. Steven Jay Gould wrote a book-length criticism of scientific racism that came out several years before The Bell Curve that perfectly refutes its premise because The Bell Curve was never intended to be anything but an excuse and an alibi for specific policy decisions.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Does jorp know that people call him jorp? Has he gotten mad at it?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Foreskin Meaterson

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Powerful Katrinka posted:

I know this is from a month ago, but Mozart and the like are painfully straightforward compared to modern classical. Time changes, key changes, difficult melodies and harmonies, etc, they're all more complicated and sophisticated than this lady realizes. Modern stuff sometimes sounds more simple, but modern composers are (naturally) more sophisticated than their predecessors.

It's obvious she's never played in an orchestra, even as a casual hobbyist. She definitely never took the time to even look at sheet music to compare compositions, so of loving course none of those composers and conductors she tried to interview didn't want to talk to her. Why should they waste their time on such a lazy dipshit who can't be bothered to do the most basic research?

I know jack about music theory, but I do enjoy classical music. Meanwhile, a friend of mine who plays cello, taught himself electric bass and basically thinks in music theory is one of those types that loves Shostakovich's weirdest stuff, is cool with Beethoven, and pretty much hates Mozart. Or at least is bored by Mozart. He explained it as Mozart's music being really clean and relying on a set bag of tricks -- albeit he performs those tricks really well.

A few weeks ago I was wikisurfing and stumbled on the Second Viennese School and I have no idea what's going on. But the takeaway I got is that classical music since the early 20th certainly isn't lazy or derivative.

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP

Rutibex posted:

I'm sure I don't understand enough about racial politics and ideologies, but didn't jorp just say "Jewish people are smart we should have them around"? The guy who was asking about The Jewish Question is probably fuckin Nazi as hell, and maybe that jorp has thought about it so much is pretty weird along with reading Nazi literature, but how is saying Jewish people are smart akin to being a Nazi?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Antisemitism is never about disparaging their intellect.

Nazis never said Jews were dumb. In fact, they thought they were so diabolically clever they've ceased control of almost all aspects of society and are on the verge of enslaving us. Dumb people certainly couldn't do that.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Geisladisk posted:

Nazis never said Jews were dumb. In fact, they thought they were so diabolically clever they've ceased control of almost all aspects of society and are on the verge of enslaving us. Dumb people certainly couldn't do that.

yeah which makes it all the more hilarious that jorp argued that nazis/white supremacists DON'T like the idea of racial IQ because then they would have to accept that jews have higher IQs than white people

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
Yeah still don't see how that equates to being a Nazi, especially when he came to the exact opposite conclusion of Nazis.

Isn't there enough material to hate about this guy without going all-in on rhetoric? Claims like that sound like fear-mongering, which is ironically very pro-Jorp.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i mean...i don't think anyone's arguing he's a literal nazi, like the kind that wants to murder all the jews and such

but he definitely thinks that white people should be at the top of the hierarchy, though he'd argue not cause of race, but because of poo poo like 'kwompetence'

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP

Mr Interweb posted:

i mean...i don't think anyone's arguing he's a literal nazi, like the kind that wants to murder all the jews and such

but he definitely thinks that white people should be at the top of the hierarchy, though he'd argue not cause of race, but because of poo poo like 'kwompetence'

i agree with this

Rutibex posted:

he's 100% nazi.

Rutibex posted:

he is a nazi. any doubt you have is deliberately cultivated by him to spread nazi ideas better

i don't agree with this

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Killed a Girl in 96 posted:

Yeah still don't see how that equates to being a Nazi, especially when he came to the exact opposite conclusion of Nazis.

Geisladisk posted:

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

I know jack about music theory, but I do enjoy classical music. Meanwhile, a friend of mine who plays cello, taught himself electric bass and basically thinks in music theory is one of those types that loves Shostakovich's weirdest stuff, is cool with Beethoven, and pretty much hates Mozart. Or at least is bored by Mozart. He explained it as Mozart's music being really clean and relying on a set bag of tricks -- albeit he performs those tricks really well.

I played the bass in orchestra, and it's one of the instruments that really demonstrates how music has improved and evolved. The instrument itself wasn't really invented/adapted until the early 1900's, and it took a while for classical composters to appreciate it for anything besides keeping rhythm. (I hated Pachobel's "Canon" so much, it's literally just eight quarter notes repeated for the entire song.) Or to write the bass part as more than just a simplified version of the cello part, minus any solos. I'm not an expert either, but I think that jazz musicians were the first to really play the bass and appreciate it. Horror of horrors, black musicians playing modern music were more sophisticated than Bach!

The evolution of musical instruments is really interesting. Instruments are adapted to fit the players' needs, and the musicians change how they play to adapt to the new instruments, so there's a constant and mutual evolution going on. It's also a little bit of a surprise to see how modern a lot of instruments actually are. The viola (I own one to teach myself and never got around to it (don't judge me)) didn't get "standardized" until like the 1920's, and even then, it's not really as such as other instruments. (The viola has a wild history that endures as a legacy of jokes about how bad violists are, it's really convoluted and kind of insane, although I don't know how common the jokes are now.)

This is crap that an "academic" should know before publishing a paper comparing modern and classical music, but racist nitwits gotta do their thing I guess.

Powerful Katrinka fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 24, 2021

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
My god, that The Bell Curve video is insane. The very presuppositions/"definitions" the book makes are so hilariously wrong that only people who think the conclusions are true are those who believe the conclusion to begin with. So much is hinged on the "60% of intelligence is genetically hereditary" being a given fact.

Edit: Is there a fancy fallacy name when the base of an argument is assumed even though it is never proved? Like, in the "if A then B" form but A has no proof behind it?

edgeman83 fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 24, 2021

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s not meant to be read: it’s meant to be a prop waved around by people who already believe its conclusions.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

The evolution of musical instruments is really interesting. Instruments are adapted to fit the players' needs, and the musicians change how they play to adapt to the new instruments, so there's a constant and mutual evolution going on. It's also a little bit of a surprise to see how modern a lot of instruments actually are.

This is crap that an "academic" should know before publishing a paper comparing modern and classical music, but racist nitwits gotta do their thing I guess.

My Youtube/online reading obsession this week has been why Stradivari violins are deemed the best. And there's a distinct division in how these articles present it.

There are the nuanced articles that like to mention that violins of Stradivari's time had a shorter neck, shorter fingerboard and were mostly meant for small venues. But as concert halls got bigger and orchestras larger, more powerful instruments were preferred, and Strads happened to project really well. Which means they got priority and the best luthiers to tend to them and the best players to keep them in the limelight. It also means that every surviving Strad we have has been messed with since to adapt to contemporary needs (basically, post-1820). Essentially, there is no perfect Strad. And this poo poo is fascinating.

Meanwhile, the other type of video/article will warble on about monetary value and how they are the "best" and "perfect sound" and then mention money again and how Stradivari was essentially the greatest and no one can touch him and don't ask why. Something something magic varnish probably.

Jorpers are very much of that latter mentality.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

My Youtube/online reading obsession this week has been why Stradivari violins are deemed the best. And there's a distinct division in how these articles present it.

There are the nuanced articles that like to mention that violins of Stradivari's time had a shorter neck, shorter fingerboard and were mostly meant for small venues. But as concert halls got bigger and orchestras larger, more powerful instruments were preferred, and Strads happened to project really well. Which means they got priority and the best luthiers to tend to them and the best players to keep them in the limelight. It also means that every surviving Strad we have has been messed with since to adapt to contemporary needs (basically, post-1820). Essentially, there is no perfect Strad. And this poo poo is fascinating.

Meanwhile, the other type of video/article will warble on about monetary value and how they are the "best" and "perfect sound" and then mention money again and how Stradivari was essentially the greatest and no one can touch him and don't ask why. Something something magic varnish probably.

Jorpers are very much of that latter mentality.

This is basically a lot of modern political/philosophical 'debate' in a nutshell; whether or know they acknowledge material conditions and cause and effect.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

i agree with this

i don't agree with this

It's not just the fact he talks about Jewish IQ. he got those IQ numbers from a Nazi book funded by Nazis. I mentioned that in my first post

you think JP is too stupid to figure out these connection when people tell him constantly? he is a deliberate lier

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

i agree with this

i don't agree with this

There’s a whole array of fascist belief from the Richards Spencer who wear literal nazi regalia in public until they get clotheslined by antifa and then just scream about how non-whites are literal animals in their safe spaces, to the Donalds Trump who are dumb as pigshit and emulate Mussolini entirely on animal instinct. We can disagree on where exactly on that spectrum the line between “nazi” and “not a nazi but builds their worldview on nazi poo poo and platforms actual nazis,” but I frankly think that’s a pointless diversion. Jorp exists in that space and that’s what matters in the end.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I'm a bit late, but when reading over all of the stuff about people listening to classical music purely to be snobs I can't help but think of this tweet

https://twitter.com/dril/status/831762334649552899?lang=en

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

My Youtube/online reading obsession this week has been why Stradivari violins are deemed the best.

The funny thing is, Stradivarius violins aren't that amazing. They're good: the Stradivari family made high-quality instruments with good materials, and did those changes in the dimensions that you mentioned, which made them better than their contemporaries. But you can get the same sound out of a modern high-quality violin, and literally almost no one on earth can tell the difference between the two. Blind tests have been done repeatedly, and generally the only people who can distinguish the Strad from the modern, are the violinists playing the drat things. Supposedly, although I can believe that a musician would know their personal instrument intimately enough to recognize its voice from another.

A lot of modern top-notch violinists don't even like to play Strads very much, except for the novelty and prestige. Being loaned or given a Strad is a symbol of your standing as a violinist, that you're one of the best of the best. And that you can be trusted with an expensive antique. Day-to-day, though, they'll stick with their modern high-quality, also expensive, very insured violins that sound just as good. Strads are almost white elephants.

So, yeah, more cargo cult nonsense from people who don't know anything, but sure want everyone to think they do.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yo their axes were sick check out these juicy riffs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGKan6eX5ug

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The funny thing is, Stradivarius violins aren't that amazing. They're good: the Stradivari family made high-quality instruments with good materials, and did those changes in the dimensions that you mentioned, which made them better than their contemporaries. But you can get the same sound out of a modern high-quality violin, and literally almost no one on earth can tell the difference between the two. Blind tests have been done repeatedly, and generally the only people who can distinguish the Strad from the modern, are the violinists playing the drat things. Supposedly, although I can believe that a musician would know their personal instrument intimately enough to recognize its voice from another.

A lot of modern top-notch violinists don't even like to play Strads very much, except for the novelty and prestige. Being loaned or given a Strad is a symbol of your standing as a violinist, that you're one of the best of the best. And that you can be trusted with an expensive antique. Day-to-day, though, they'll stick with their modern high-quality, also expensive, very insured violins that sound just as good. Strads are almost white elephants.

So, yeah, more cargo cult nonsense from people who don't know anything, but sure want everyone to think they do.

Also an idea that things can be just inherently better based on conveniently immaterial, undefinable traits, that boil down to 'because people say they are'. Convenient, eh?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i hate this guy so much

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Yeah Brazil totally listened to Greta Thunberg.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Wow, every statement in that picture isnt even them being ignorant of the truth, it's literally them lying about it

Cool and good

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Kind of unrelated, but I'm not sure what they mean by "modern classical music"

Like, one of my favorite pieces of music is Rhapsody In Blue by George Gershwin. It's Art Deco given sound. Is that modern classical?

I'm guessing jorp would complain because of the jazz influence.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

vortmax posted:

Like, one of my favorite pieces of music is Rhapsody In Blue by George Gershwin. It's Art Deco given sound. Is that modern classical?

i think its means orchestral music. really they shouldn't be calling it classical they should call it Renaissance Music. this is classical music :colbert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hOK7bU0S1Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

vortmax posted:

I like Phillip Glass and Nils Frahm