Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise

Zil posted:

Measure never, cut once.

I took measurements. I just had to schlep samples over to another brewery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Escape From Noise posted:

I took measurements. I just had to schlep samples over to another brewery.

Sorry, I figured you did, I was just making an offhand remark

Thanks to Dumb Sex-Parrot for the Christmas citrusy sig!

more falafel please posted:

just turn that impostor syndrome into "I'm Poster" syndrome

Escape From Noise

Zil posted:

Sorry, I figured you did, I was just making an offhand remark

Nah. I gotcha. I wish I could more easily just take measurements.

cruft

I convinced Big Cheese that he didn't actually want to hand sign 400 certificates, so I got back to things that mattered.

Spent the entire day working out a bug with time zones. Did you know web browsers have no notion of time zones other than the one they're in? It makes it really difficult to work with times from another time zone!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

My boss is SHOCKED that everyone is raising our item costs 11-15%.

I'll be really glad when I'm just done. I'm too depressed to put up with this.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I'm increasingly pissed off at people who are working from home who just tell me "just tell your boss you're working from home."

I can't? That's the thing? Are you new???

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I try to remain open-minded but I still lol when people complain in any way about working from home

cruft

Achtane posted:

I try to remain open-minded but I still lol when people complain in any way about working from home

Every time I see your av in this thread I can't stop thinking about people complaining that you moved a burial site.

As "stupid poo poo I deal with regularly at work" goes, it really takes the cake.

Escape From Noise

Achtane, how often do you listen to the 90's rap super group Gravediggaz, or is it verboten?

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

cruft posted:

Every time I see your av in this thread I can't stop thinking about people complaining that you moved a burial site.

As "stupid poo poo I deal with regularly at work" goes, it really takes the cake.

Dude it's a weekly thing, or something equally dumb replaces it anyway. The family that I thought I cleared everything up with recently called again about the relative that we "moved". Some people are really hard to convince otherwise...

Achtane, how often do you listen to the 90's rap super group Gravediggaz, or is it verboten?

We actually listened to them on YouTube in the office the other day! My boss usually listens to Wu-Tang though.

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Oh my latest "dumb poo poo at work" is the mother of this 40-something-year-old woman leaving an angry message about how her daughter got stung by a bee in the cemetery and now she has to carry an EpiPen everywhere 'cause she didn't know that she was allergic, and what are you all gonna do about this?!?!

But like, we don't have issues with swarming bees or whatever. She essentially got stung by a bee in a park and we're supposed to handle it like it's some kind of existential threat to the good citizens of the city.

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Achtane posted:

Oh my latest "dumb poo poo at work" is the mother of this 40-something-year-old woman leaving an angry message about how her daughter got stung by a bee in the cemetery and now she has to carry an EpiPen everywhere 'cause she didn't know that she was allergic, and what are you all gonna do about this?!?!

But like, we don't have issues with swarming bees or whatever. She essentially got stung by a bee in a park and we're supposed to handle it like it's some kind of existential threat to the good citizens of the city.

lol you gonna get karenned

cruft

Achtane posted:

Swarming bees are just about the least likely to sting you anyway.

Easiest way to get yourself stung is to gently caress around with a beehive. Second-easiest is to gently caress around with a bee (like, step on it, or swat it, which is why if you see a bee nearby you should just chill the hell out and you'll be okay).

But, yeah, maybe your cemetery should consider SPRAYING FOR HONEYBEES or something equally non-existent?

cruft

Ooh ooh, next time she calls, tell her you've obtained a restraining order against that bee, and if she sees it again, please call the police to document the violation.

PS: the bee is now dead: it kills the bee when it stings you, yet another reason honeybees aren't super into stinging for no reason.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I literally had to go to a closet and scream today.

Anyway today's great.

French Accent

Wasted a few hours looking at the wrong thing(s) for a task. I blame the previous two nights where I barely slept.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Today in researching one problem (unrelated to previous problem posts) I made too many large queries and ultimately caused an internal outage for about 30 minutes. I am available as a consulting gremlin.

Escape From Noise

Lately I'm just browsing the forums and taking long breaks because I don't have a ton going on. While it's kind of nice it's made me think too much and I'm getting a little lonely feeling again. I just feel so isolated, as I'm sure most people are feeling. It sort of sucks.

I talked to my former coworker and the crap he's putting up with made me so glad I left. I really hope he can escape that nightmare of a job. He says he's putting in his notice in December.

hot cocoa on the couch

Lately I'm just browsing the forums and taking long breaks because I don't have a ton going on. While it's kind of nice it's made me think too much and I'm getting a little lonely feeling again. I just feel so isolated, as I'm sure most people are feeling. It sort of sucks.

sympathize with you big time friend. this sums up most of my work days quite well

:(:hf::(

https://i.imgur.com/W7qTiB3.mp4

a LEGENDARY sig by the LEGENDARY LAP

Escape From Noise

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

sympathize with you big time friend. this sums up most of my work days quite well

:(:hf::(

It's something I have usually felt at fairly regular intervals in my life but man covid is not helping.

Edit: Sorry. That was self centered. I hope you're doing alright. It's tough times.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 21, 2021

French Accent

not very fond of going to work tomorrow, especially if my trend of not sleeping well this week keeps going

cruft

Ms Cruft and cruft Jr are driving us all to Wyoming today. I'll be working from the back seat, and taking a vacation day to do it.

I'm okay with this, though, because my conference is next week and normally I'd be off in like Kansas City, so this way I can hang with the fam, which is cool.

xcheopis

People are complaining about having to come back to the office and "wear a mask all the time because I'm in a cubicle" and I want to scream WHAT THE gently caress DO YOU THINK I'VE BEEN DOING.

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

xcheopis

Toner Waste Box spill over my left side. Yay.

xcheopis

I'm havin' a bad bad day

Farecoal

There he go

xcheopis posted:

Toner Waste Box spill over my left side. Yay.

Oof. I'm guessing that's some ruined clothes, at least?

xcheopis

Farecoal posted:

Oof. I'm guessing that's some ruined clothes, at least?

I'll be soaking them in cold water overnight and then a usual cold wash in the machine tomorrow, but not putting them in the dryer. Thankfully, I wear black all of the time, so most people didn't really notice. Bit odd, because it really stood out for me.

It's been a long long week and a long long day.

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

NumptyScrub

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

xcheopis posted:

People are complaining about having to come back to the office and "wear a mask all the time because I'm in a cubicle" and I want to scream WHAT THE gently caress DO YOU THINK I'VE BEEN DOING.

There are some people who care nothing about the discomfort of others, only the discomfort of themselves. I've found this to be an excellent barometer when trying to judge the worth of a person, myself

There often appears to be a high percentage of those people in C level positions as well, although correlation is of course not causation :iiam:

On an unrelated note I was up early this morning (Sat.) because of some server migrations that work needed me to do a thing on. gently caress a job :negative:

Escape From Noise

Two of the larger craft breweries here in Japan have owners that won't let their brewers smoke or eat spicy food, apparently.

Finger Prince

Two of the larger craft breweries here in Japan have owners that won't let their brewers smoke or eat spicy food, apparently.

Smoking I kind of get, since it does really gently caress with your sense of taste and smell, but spicy food? Lol.

Escape From Noise

Finger Prince posted:

Smoking I kind of get, since it does really gently caress with your sense of taste and smell, but spicy food? Lol.

Yeah. I also kind of get the smoking, but the no spicy food is hilarious to me. Especially since one of those places makes pretty much nothing but hazy IPAs. Gotta have a very sensitive palate for juice.

Escape From Noise

Today was kind of frustrating.

Recently I haven't really had anything to do at work and a friend of mine that I haven't seen for a while was asking if I had any weekdays free so yesterday I asked about taking a day off next week. The boss was like yeah, it's okay to take time off if you have nothing to do. Today I showed up at like noon because I have nothing much going on today. Thought I'd try and set up the peg board I got. That's about it.

Early afternoon one of the waitstaff asked if I was working until 6 as per my normal schedule. I said I'd probably be heading off a little earlier. A manager kind of guy overheard that and was sorta like "You can't do that. The restaurant manager needs you to give me the recipe sheets for the tax office by the end of the day." I got those done a week or two ago.

I thought the restaurant manager knew this, but I guess he didn't, because when I pulled out the folder of filled out recipe sheets he was like "So that's where they were. I thought you just weren't doing anything." He'd been kind of short with me lately lately and now I know why. On the one hand I can see where I could have communicated this better. I thought I told him but I might have not, or not been very clear about it. The issue kind of is that as a restaurant manager for a massive restaurant management company he's really overworked. I have had to tell him things multiple times for it to stick. I also may have been planning to tell him and/or hand the file over but he was super busy at the time and I was heading out for the day. On the other, if you need something from me maybe just let me know or remind me of what you need before just sitting there and stewing over it. I could see being pissed if he had to keep reminding me to do it, but I got it done weeks ago and if he'd just asked once I would have told him I was done and would have handed it to him no problem. I even asked if he'd turned the paperwork into the tax office a while ago and he just said he hadn't. Had he said he was waiting on me, I could have just handed it over.

I get that he's getting overworked really bad, so I don't really hold it against him, but it's just frustrating. I'm glad he wasn't a total rear end in a top hat about it and he's not like a lovely angry boss who yells at people, but just let me know! It could have been resolved immediately! It's just a lot of stress because I have to go to him for ordering as well as figuring out the production schedule and stuff. I do have a lot of say over that and I think we'll get things running more smoothly over time, but he's already got so much on his plate that getting the message through can sometimes be very difficult. Woof.

Zurtilik

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
People keep leaving and they keep giving me their work. Now on a stress level this doesn't bother me because I don't actually work that much. But I don't like the precedent this is setting because it's not like I'm getting paid more or another title or anything.

I'll probably leave here after I get a year in anyway. So I'm not stressing too much but boy they dumb as hell, they're sure not convincing me to stay longer doing this poo poo.

They're also clearly in no hurry to replace the open positions right now. Part of me is thinking about just making demands for the poo poo of it if they still haven't filled my old coworkers job in a couple more months.

Since I am doing the entirety of one former coworkers job though I'm definitely claiming their title on relevant resumes going forward.

What sounds more important to you guys if you were hiring - Accounts Reconciliation Analyst or Operations Analyst?

Zurtilik fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 29, 2021

NumptyScrub

I'd be tempted to put it as a dual role on the resumé, if you are performing both duties that is basically what it is. Also the potential to talk it up during interviews from a flexibility or diligence angle

Definitely make sure your boss is aware that you are only good with it as a temp solution though, because I guarantee that if you just keep doing it they will let you, and they won't hire a replacement. Probably play up the "if I have to choose between my work and this other role I am obviously prioritising my work" since there has been no talk of title / comp changes based on the increased responsibility.

As far as the actual title goes, I have no idea what either means (other than being finance based), and to be honest titles are mutable, it is the actual work duties and related skill sets that are important.

Zurtilik

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Those titles basically mean nothing. I just didn't know if one sounded more like something that would get a recruiter's ears perking than the other.

Yeah, they were upfront that they weren't going to even begin trying to fill the position in October because HR was swamped with open enrollment stuff, but I probably should say something soon if they obviously haven't even begun to look in November.

NumptyScrub

IMO say it now to your boss, earlier the better, that you expect this to be temporary while they find a replacement, and that you'll be prioritising your own work first. Re-word as you see fit obvs (since I don't know your boss or what their triggers are) but the clearer you state your position, the less chance of them trying to fob it off on you permanently

If you can cope with the extra work and neither that or your own work suffer, they will absolutely fob this off on you permanently, to save costs on a replacement employee.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

NumptyScrub posted:

IMO say it now to your boss, earlier the better, that you expect this to be temporary while they find a replacement, and that you'll be prioritising your own work first. Re-word as you see fit obvs (since I don't know your boss or what their triggers are) but the clearer you state your position, the less chance of them trying to fob it off on you permanently

If you can cope with the extra work and neither that or your own work suffer, they will absolutely fob this off on you permanently, to save costs on a replacement employee.

This. A hundred times this.

If you can cope with it now, they will continue loading you down instead of hiring additional talent. See also, I now run an entire business and am drowning but getting it done, in a pandemic, and still getting poo poo for pay.

I also am leaving and they don't know it yet and this could have been resolved by my boss responding to "I cannot continue to do this with zero assistance," literally ever.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Also lol the internet is down and I just told them "oh I don't have enough data and can't tether."

NumptyScrub

Mormon Nailer posted:

Also lol the internet is down and I just told them "oh I don't have enough data and can't tether."

Not your problem. If you are an essential employee they would already have sorted out an enterprise level connection for you at home, and 100 other things (like wifi hotspot) to ensure you can keep working. Assuming they have done literally nothing about that, they obviously do not believe you require 100% uptime

Unless the internet is actually down at your office in which case just fukken lol take the rest of the day off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

NumptyScrub posted:

Not your problem. If you are an essential employee they would already have sorted out an enterprise level connection for you at home, and 100 other things (like wifi hotspot) to ensure you can keep working. Assuming they have done literally nothing about that, they obviously do not believe you require 100% uptime

Unless the internet is actually down at your office in which case just fukken lol take the rest of the day off

Do you think I get to work from home?