Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/matthewmercer/status/1451599715829628929

https://twitter.com/matthewmercer/status/1451599718002266115

https://twitter.com/matthewmercer/status/1451599719059255299

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I'm glad that Fearne is staying permanently. I think she's already my favourite Ashley character. Liam's characters always need some time to get going so I'll withhold judgement on Orym. I don't dislike him, he just didn't get much of a chance to shine as the straight man in the midst of the rest of that chaotic party. It's cool that those were basically their planned C3 characters from the beginning though.

The way Matt is talking it sounds like Robbie is with them permanently, or at least semi-permanently? I know they referred to him as a guest in the tweet last night but that thread seems to contradict that.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
If Dorian stays there's literally no more room for guests.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

no mention of Travis in there and given he's level 5 and clearly helping out with plot, i think guesses that he's whoever "The Anger" is are right

also that name sounds like someone's been reading Saga

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
So is it just me or is Bertrand a lot more humble and encouraging?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Senjuro posted:

If Dorian stays there's literally no more room for guests.
California finally breaks off into the ocean as Marisha's new set expands in eldritch noneuclidean ways to incorporate the rest of the eXu cast and, eventually, the entire west coast.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
If he is not a permanent cast member, perhaps Robbie will return to wherever they set out from with/once they find their target as a way to sensibly have him step out.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Jetrauben posted:

So is it just me or is Bertrand a lot more humble and encouraging?

It has been several in universe years since we've seen him last, he could have mellowed. On the other hand the relationship between him and the Old Orc Guy (who's name is escaping me at the moment) seems rather less friendly than Bert first suggested, so possibly he's been beaten down some by events? :shrug:

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

eke out posted:

no mention of Travis in there and given he's level 5 and clearly helping out with plot, i think guesses that he's whoever "The Anger" is are right

also that name sounds like someone's been reading Saga

https://twitter.com/matthewmercer/status/1451602577636745216?t=DMghGdtbIO7JYJiLHDbyyg&s=19

That's all we got.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Excited for full-time Fearne. And I think Orym will be a “still waters run deep” character.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

TotalHell posted:

Excited for full-time Fearne. And I think Orym will be a “still waters run deep” character.

It's also possible that Liam wanted to give some of the rest of the table a chance to be the most obvious Drama Source. While he's generally pretty good about sharing screentime, Vax and Caleb both ended up with a lot of Main Character Energy in their respective campaigns, even though in practice both ended up not necessarily "the protagonist."

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Jetrauben posted:

It's also possible that Liam wanted to give some of the rest of the table a chance to be the most obvious Drama Source. While he's generally pretty good about sharing screentime, Vax and Caleb both ended up with a lot of Main Character Energy in their respective campaigns, even though in practice both ended up not necessarily "the protagonist."

Possibly! Liam does seem to love his emo though, so I’m expecting some pathos as the campaign continues.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Jetrauben posted:

That IS what he said in that Talks Machina...that he wanted a basic Halfling Fighter with no backstory whatsoever, and well, he delivered.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

it would be a very good joke if this was literal

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

TotalHell posted:

Possibly! Liam does seem to love his emo though, so I’m expecting some pathos as the campaign continues.

Oh, absolutely. I've got a good feeling about this entire party. I also genuinely want Robbie to stick around or even to get like rotating ExU characters slotting in. And Orym's whole "good small-town boy confronted with the overwhelming weirdness of the cosmopolitan broader world" is a promising vibe. Especially given that the Ashari often take in orphans and outsiders.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

oryms gonna be great. battlemaster fighters are a lot of fun to watch with their field control, and liams quick wit was already shining through. he's great for the more ridiculous characters to bounce off of (especially travis, as we saw)

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

Joey McChrist posted:

liams quick wit was already shining through.

You could say it almost ties the group together

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
So this feels like exactly what I was hoping to happen. It's a new place that doesn't just feel like "somewhere in Europe but with goblins", the crew got on board with working together pretty quickly, there won't be 15 episodes of wandering around aimlessly while brooding (some call it railroading but I call it following a plot), and I like all of the characters so far. I appreciate that Liam is playing the every-man and even Laura made a more low-key character compared to her previous ones. I didn't watch ExU but I have no complaints about them being present because they're fun, and I like how Sam/Tal and Laura/Marisha's characters worked together. I don't know how the casting will work with people potentially rotating in and out, but I'm overall optimistic.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
I do think the visuals implied by the fanart shown in the highlight reel are really high fantasy in the best Magic setting way.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
My only issue so far is the music is too loud when it's playing over their more subdued conversations. And some of the selections aren't really ambient pieces, they demand attention more akin to combat music.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.

Jetrauben posted:

I do think the visuals implied by the fanart shown in the highlight reel are really high fantasy in the best Magic setting way.

There were a couple of pieces of art that really felt like older, late 90s DnD artwork, and I really dig that.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/trickgrayson/status/1451416367316410368

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

eke out posted:

it would be a very good joke if this was literal

Considering the rest of the party, a troll would not stand out. Except in a crowd, of course.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Here's a version with closeups:

https://twitter.com/marisharaygun/status/1451541529571602436

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I am dumb and didn't realise that Fearne is a Faun and not a Fawn - because the in game pictures only showed their top half I was imagining something like Cenarius/centaur rather than a satyr.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
I went to bed in the middle of the furniture fight once I knew who everyone was playing. Now I'm caught up and I've got a good feeling about this campaign. I'm warming to these characters a lot more quickly than I did to the M9, although that might in part be due to my already being familiar with half of them. Either way, I'm definitely on board for more of whatever this is going to turn into.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I get the feeling Liam is kind of angling Orym to be the Cadeuces Clay of this group in as far as he seems like he's going to be the reliable one that generally helps everyone else be their best selves. I get the feeling Marisha, Laura, and Taliesin will probably be the high drama characters, and Ashley is going to be the chaos dervish kind of like how Jester was in C2

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

I get the feeling Liam is kind of angling Orym to be the Cadeuces Clay of this group in as far as he seems like he's going to be the reliable one that generally helps everyone else be their best selves. I get the feeling Marisha, Laura, and Taliesin will probably be the high drama characters, and Ashley is going to be the chaos dervish kind of like how Jester was in C2

Meanwhile Sam will be somewhere between Liam and Ashley. He'll act like a support character, especially in combat, but he's verbally going to be a chaos broker. Kinda hard to predict how Travis fits in since we're not sure if he's keeping Bert or what, though.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Gangringo posted:

One indication of how big crit role is now is that at my theater the show was sold out, and was in multiple auditoriums.

Some nerdy-rear end voice actors playing D&D probably sold near as many tickets as the premiere of Dune. At least in this particular theater.

As the stream was starting (just before gameplay began) Twitch was reporting around 200k viewers and Youtube around 80k.

That seemed pretty impressive to me. (And I expect plenty of people watch it after it goes VOD or listen to the podcast version)

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

jng2058 posted:

Meanwhile Sam will be somewhere between Liam and Ashley. He'll act like a support character, especially in combat, but he's verbally going to be a chaos broker. Kinda hard to predict how Travis fits in since we're not sure if he's keeping Bert or what, though.

I can't imagine Bertrand stays long term. He's well past his prime and I doubt he wants to go back to the hard knock adventuring lifestyle as an octogenarian.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Maybe after they prove themselves to this Orc guy, he'll give them a job but insist that Bertrand doesn't go and that they take his other man instead.

Maybe Matt's giving us all a wink and a nod with that tweet and he is a sneaky troll rogue after all.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

DeathSandwich posted:

I can't imagine Bertrand stays long term. He's well past his prime and I doubt he wants to go back to the hard knock adventuring lifestyle as an octogenarian.

He hated the hard-knock adventuring life even when he was in his prime.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Liking the new characters. Happy to see Fearne back. Orym however is the D&D equivalent of this guy. Wasn't feeling him in ExU and I'm not here either. Looking forward to Travis' real character.

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Hey Paracaidas, if I won something (and I'm not sure I did) you can give it to HulkSmash! (because of the seating thing) I only did it for a lark and have no intention of changing my av in the forseeable. I love you though.

That's very nice of you but I was going to say something similar. Please give the cert to the next person. I don't need it. Just wanted to take part in the pre-show fun.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

Saw someone else's comment mentioning that Taliesin and Sam's characters are "Rock and Roll"

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Dragonstoned posted:

Saw someone else's comment mentioning that Taliesin and Sam's characters are "Rock and Roll"

I don't remember if it was in here or twitch chat or twitter or whatever but they are also both a literal Punk Rock and a literal Heal Bot

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

"Punk rock" is defs in this thread somewhere, I remember laughing at it lol

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
I’m not as high on Sam’s character as everyone else seems to be, I think. Feels too gimmicky for a main series run; more like a one-shot type character. Not to say he needed to be super-serious, put Liam to shame on the drama department styled character, it’s just stretching my suspension of credible disbelief a bit far. And like a few people I saw comment, I didn’t really mesh well with ExU, so seeing the same characters was a disappointment in a weird way. But I also recognise it’s not my table, and I trust everyone has an idea of what they’re doing to make the characters interesting.

Still going to watch, but it’s more of an uphill battle than the previous campaigns have been, and that’s including C1 starting in the middle of an existing story.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

I love Fearne, and am really happy to see more of her. Orym's definitely not as exciting as some of the other characters, but I'm sure he'll develop over time. I think it's nice that Liam's not playing a brooding sad guy this campaign anyway, even if he seems a bit vanilla for now.
I'm also hoping that the ExU tie in means we're in for more Aimee at some point.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rahul posted:

I love Fearne, and am really happy to see more of her. Orym's definitely not as exciting as some of the other characters, but I'm sure he'll develop over time. I think it's nice that Liam's not playing a brooding sad guy this campaign anyway, even if he seems a bit vanilla for now.
I'm also hoping that the ExU tie in means we're in for more Aimee at some point.

Wait 6 months until Orym's lost a limb and wakes with night terrors about the lich who murdered his birth family that he'd repressed the memory of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Just finished watching the episode and I loved it. I feel a lot better going into this than I did in the first episode of C2. Maybe it's just because I took a break for over a year and I kinda missed this show? I dunno, but I'm digging it. I haven't watched EXU and I guess I'll put that on my to-do list but Dorian, Fearne, and Orym seem pretty self-explanatory so far.

As for Bertrand Bell... I'm definitely putting money on "that's not his real character." I've seen another theory floated around (that Travis is busy with something else he can't talk about due to an NDA and is going to be the new Ashley - only around intermittently) but I don't want that to be true so I'll just hope for Bartrand to get got or something next week.

Edit - Also I have to ask - did anybody else get a vibe from Ashton that he's like.... a teenager? Maybe it was just how often he was swearing and his general appearance but he read to me as someone quite young pretending to be older by acting tough.

CuwiKhons fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Oct 23, 2021