Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

:rolldice: Twitch | Youtube | Video Archive (Campaign 3/4 Sided Dive) | Podcast Archive (Campaign 3/4 Sided Dive) :rolldice:

Looking for the legend of the thread of The Legend of Vox Machina? It has its own thread, right here!

:siren: This is a livepost thread for Critical Role Campaign 3! The only use of spoiler tags is for leaked content, and for old campaigns! Siren markers will be used when a new episode starts so you know when to stop reading! :siren:

:frogsiren: Campaign 2 spoilers were untagged between Nov 17th 2022 and Dec 8th 2022, as well as between Oct 26th 2023 and Nov 2nd 2023 for discussion of Mighty Nein Reunion episodes. Please be cautious while browsing! :frogsiren:

Welcome to the CR C3 thread, where a bunch of nerdy rear end goons sit around and post about some nerdy rear end voice actors who sit around and play Dungeons & Dragons. Not sure what Critical Role is? Read this! Or keep reading this thread!

:hmmorks: Who are these nerdy rear end voice actors?!

Chances are, you've probably heard them just about everywhere! Your main cast is...

MATTHEW MERCER: your DM of the session. He keeps the narrative going, builds the world, plays hundreds of NPCs, and allegedly has slept once or twice in his life.

LIAM O'BRIEN: your extremely dramatic theater nerd is ORYM, the halfling fighter.
He's previously played the half-elf rogue Vax'ildan in C1, and the human wizard Caleb Widowgast in C2.

TRAVIS WILLINGHAM: your extremely large man scared of haunted houses is CHETNEY POC O'PEA, the gnome blood hunter and rogue.
He's previously played the goliath barbarian Grog in C1, and the half-orc warlock Fjord in C2.

LAURA BAILEY: your extremely superstitious dice queen is IMOGEN TEMULT, the human sorcerer.
She's previously played the half-elf ranger Vex'alhia in C1, and the tiefling cleric Jester in C2.

SAM RIEGEL: your extremely unhinged ad-copy reader is FRESH CUT GRASS, the aeormaton cleric.
He's previously played the gnome bard Scanlan Shorthalt in C1, and the goblin rogue Nott the Brave in C2.

MARISHA RAY: your extremely dangerous chair-climber is LAUDNA, the hollow-one sorcerer and warlock.
She's previously played the half-elf druid Keyleth in C1, and the human monk Beauregard in C2.

TALIESIN JAFFE: your extremely long lived eldritch being is ASHTON GREYMOORE, the earth genasi barbarian.
He's previously played the human fighter Percival Frederickstein von Musel Klossowski de Rolo the Third in C1, and the tiefling blood hunter Mollymauk Tealeaf in C2.

ASHLEY JOHNSON: your extremely talented actress from NBC's "Blindspot" is FEARNE CALLOWAY, the faun druid and rogue.
She's previously played the gnome cleric Pike Trickfoot in C1, and the aasimar barbarian Yasha Nydoorin in C2.

along with many guest appearances!

:hmmorks: How/when/where do I watch these shows?!

They're available in VOD and pocast form in the links above! Broadcasts air live on Thursdays at 7pm PST on both Twitch and Youtube and typically run anywhere from 3-4 hours, though there's no set episode timer.

VODs are available immediately after broadcast on Twitch for subscribers (:fivecbux:/month or free with Amazon Prime) and on Youtube the following Monday at roughly 12pm PST. Podcast episodes are available one week after broadcast.

You can also check here for a countdown and start times in your local timezone!

:hmmorks: What's Dungeons and Dragons?!

D&D is a tabletop roleplaying game, currently on its 5th Edition (5e.) Depending on the group, some place more emphasis on the game or the roleplaying aspects, and sometimes focus on both -- ranging from very seriously, to very casually.

Critical Role is unlike your 'average' group, with dramatic character performances from voice actors and the expansive homebrewed setting of Exandria, concocted by a veteran DM who knows the rules inside and out.

The setting of Exandria also appears in official D&D books, including the C1-inspired Tal'dorei Campaign Setting (out of print, new edition available soon!), the C2-inspired Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, and Call of the Netherdeep.

:hmmorks: What's 4 Sided Dive?!

4 Sided Dive is the group's new monthly format where four of the cast discuss large chunks of the campaign, answer questions, pull from a chenga tower, and do some other weird bullshit! It features more in-depth character analysis and dumb tangents!

This new show is the evolution of the previous show Talks Machina, which used to be hosted by some idiot.

:hmmorks: Do I need to watch the old campaigns to understand what's happening in this one?!

Possibly! While campaign 2 remains relatively self-contained and had the cast engage in a no-spoilers policy, campaign 1's events are far more directly referenced in 3, and will spoil some major events!

For Campaign 1, it's recommended you start at episode 28 after the player Orion's departure. If you'd like to read about the associated drama, you can do so here.
You may also want to view the pre-episode 1 history, from when C1 was just a home game!

If you'd like to start campaign 2, the first 19 episodes are hosted on Geek and Sundry's Youtube channel, but you can follow this full campaign Youtube playlist instead!

:hmmorks: What if I ain't got time for all that?!

You can also check out the Critical Recap series of animated short videos recapping C2, or The Legend of Vox Machina animated series (coming 2022) covering events of C1!

:hmmorks: What about all these other shows?!

Critical Role also creates many (sometimes sponsored) one shot adventures! These can be a perfect place to test the waters and see if you like the format of the shows.

There is also an on-going series called Exandria Unlimited where guest DMs and players intermingle and play shorter adventures in the same world as the primary campaigns!

They also create completely unrelated shows and content, like a Let's Play series strung together by a bizarre narrative involving puppets! You can find such gems on their Youtube channel.

:rolldice: Other handy resources: Written recaps | CR Transcripts | Stats & Character Sheets :rolldice:

Abroham Lincoln fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Whoo! Ground floor!

First campaign I get to watch from the start. Came in at around Ep. 6 for C2 (and have since caught up on C1 and C2 and all the one shots). So much content. So little work done.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

im so excited

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
If someone doesn’t play a warforged I will be sad.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Maybe add the C1 pre-stream summery to the OP?

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

Nemo2342 posted:

Liam as a sad warforged.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Flakey posted:

Liam as a sad warforged.

I mean. Warforged who slowly gets to learn what ~Emotions~ are has Liam written all over it.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
dedicating this first page to the weird meltdowns that will one day occur in this thread

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Nemo2342 posted:

Liam said he made a backup character he loved way back when, but I can't help but think an artificial being has just the sort of quiet ennui he's looking for.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Senjuro posted:

Maybe add the C1 pre-stream summery to the OP?

You bet your rear end I will!!!

If anyone has other resources they think should be in there lemme know. I tried to cover everything I could think of related to the main show.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Hulk Smash! posted:

I mean. Warforged who slowly gets to learn what ~Emotions~ are has Liam written all over it.

I am committed to my prediction that Liam's going to play a warforged cleric who's conflicted about their role/diety because they're not sure if they have a soul.

If I had anything to bet on it, I would.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

This'll be the first campaign that's fully on Critical Role's channel, won't it?

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

hell yeah i can't wait to see what liam built for sam this time

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

Malpais Legate posted:

This'll be the first campaign that's fully on Critical Role's channel, won't it?

No, C2 was as well.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

an artificial being has just the sort of quiet ennui he's looking for.

This.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

As someone who joined mid C2, i'm excited to be in the ground floor for the thread and to see a campaign from the start. All the theorizing about backstories and mysteries and stuff

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Flakey posted:

No, C2 was as well.

They moved from G&S during C2,

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

poo poo you're right, drat you passage of time. :negative:

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Any interest in a prediction contest for new characters (races & classes)? If there's desire, I can throw together a quick form and put up a couple av certs for the winners.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
I am dying to find out what character Liam has thought up for Sam.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Sam warforged when

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Paracaidas posted:

Any interest in a prediction contest for new characters (races & classes)? If there's desire, I can throw together a quick form and put up a couple av certs for the winners.

:yeah:

Even without certs I think that'd be really fun

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

I'll get this early for any new viewers:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-Xhv2OjN4e56nJmoCl-ivzX9SHD7Slkt/view?usp=drivesdk

This is the Wendy's one-shot that got removed and should be watched because it is both hilarious and will help understand Sam.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Only thing I'm willing to bet on is Laura is going to be an elf due to this (C2E133 spoiler)

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
I got caught up to live watching during C2, specifically the episode where Ashley Burch first appeared as a guest character. Yeah, that one. Helluva time to go from on-demand viewing to having to wait for episodes. It's going to be interesting to go into the story not knowing what anyone's up to.

Are we doing the wild speculations here now? I figure Ashley will continue playing something she found cool when someone else was playing it, and go with some kind of monk. She'll try and fail to come up with her own variation of 'pop pop'.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

I can't wait to see some of the poo poo that new set can do with the effects and whatnot

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

I could see someone trying Blood Hunter again after (VM/MN one-shot spoilers) Taliesin was able to pull out some of the more interesting parts during the thirty seconds Molly was actually available.

Would love to see a sorcerer, too.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I could speculate on classes and species all day but I really want to know what kind of homebrew pet is Laura going to get this time?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Joey McChrist posted:

hell yeah i can't wait to see what liam built for sam this time

unironically this

sam's already confirmed they did it again lol

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I bet they come out with a completely ridiculous twitter-breaking team that gets wiped out in the first two hours to make room for their real C3 characters.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

bagrada posted:

I bet they come out with a completely ridiculous twitter-breaking team that gets wiped out in the first two hours to make room for their real C3 characters.

I would really love that narrative conceit lol

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Abroham Lincoln posted:

You bet your rear end I will!!!

If anyone has other resources they think should be in there lemme know. I tried to cover everything I could think of related to the main show.
This could be handy for people who can't figure out timezones.
https://www.wheniscriticalrole.com/

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Who cares about the races/classes, I want to know the accents!

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Pinwiz11 posted:

Who cares about the races/classes, I want to know the accents!

I definitely want to see someone try to commit to an accent/voice that they really aren't going to be able to maintain over the course of multiple years.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

All Irish.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

CuwiKhons posted:

I definitely want to see someone try to commit to an accent/voice that they really aren't going to be able to maintain over the course of multiple years.

Why would you want Sam to play someone who is mute?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Dameius posted:

Why would you want Sam to play someone who is mute?

Make him work those charade muscles.

No, but for real, it would get really old really fast but I'd be fascinated to see someone play a Kenku in the long term. If anyone could do a living soundboard for the duration of an entire campaign, it'd be a pro voice actor.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Yeah that'd be a great one shot character if the main cast was going to commit to it.

Would be a good guest appearances character.

Also since new thread bring back Ify Nwadiwe for a main campaign guest appearance already.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

They've talked about how advanced the new set is and I fully believe they could give Sam an actual real soundboard

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Abroham Lincoln posted:

They've talked about how advanced the new set is and I fully believe they could give Sam an actual real soundboard

https://twitter.com/samriegel/status/1450577893734551552

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

bagrada posted:

Dexo posted:

I would really love that narrative conceit lol

One of the best one shot convention games I ever played in was a Cyberpunk 2020 game where we started out in an elevator breaking into some corporate facility. The doors open up, we walk into a hail of gunfire, and everyone's dead in like two combat rounds. Then the GM hands out new character sheets and the Fixer NPC turns off the recording and says, "That's what happened to the last team we sent in there. I hope you can do better."

Really wakes you up to start off THAT way!