Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Cvet would be very annoying in real life, but she's a great character.

Shell is also great. One of my favorite things about Gunnerkrigg is its ability to deliver great faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Wittgen posted:

Shell is also great. One of my favorite things about Gunnerkrigg is its ability to deliver great faces.

It's a little thing but I really like how choosy Tom is with face shapes. Everyone's got a unique set of features. Families maintain parity between hair color and facial features. It's little details many comic authors neglect as the cast grows. Part of the reason I think Annie and Annie was so fun is because they have the same face which is rare for the comic. This is I think only the second character with the same nose shape as Parley.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Wittgen posted:

This 100%.

But also: Man, gently caress Cvet. This is extremely lovely to do, you dumb dragon.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Nah Cvet owns she gets the awkwardness out of the way immediately instead of making it take a chapter

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011
cvet is the only good character left.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Smitty is still cool

george seems to kick rear end as well and dgaf

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

I don't like Cvet. :colbert:

I changed my mind. Bring back Tonychat :psyduck:

CJacobs posted:

Nah Cvet owns she gets the awkwardness out of the way immediately instead of making it take a chapter

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Sorry at all the folks who don't like Cvet for your social lives

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Warmachine posted:

I changed my mind. Bring back Tonychat :psyduck:

Tony probably doesn’t like Cvet either.

Who likes a gossip?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Darth TNT posted:

Tony probably doesn’t like Cvet either.

Who likes a gossip?

Tony loves Cvet because she tells him exactly what everyone's thinking

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Oh no, Mort, no.

https://twitter.com/gunnerkrigg/status/1451527612422103092?s=20

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!

CJacobs posted:

It's a little thing but I really like how choosy Tom is with face shapes. Everyone's got a unique set of features. Families maintain parity between hair color and facial features. It's little details many comic authors neglect as the cast grows. Part of the reason I think Annie and Annie was so fun is because they have the same face which is rare for the comic. This is I think only the second character with the same nose shape as Parley.

Although I seriously doubt Tom called anyone confusing Annie's blush with a romantic one, for anyone confused about the (admittedly rather subtle and subjective in real life) difference between a happy-surprised blush and a romantic-embarrassed blush, this chapter is presenting an excellent cartoon primer.

C'vet haters :argh: I would expect a Rogat Orjack with the social adeptness of C'vet to understand the difference between encouraging someone too shy to express feelings which are also mutual to act on them and using shyness to embarrass someone for the sake of cruelty :colbert:

this hits some real phillipe level feels, iykwim

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 22, 2021

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Niavmai posted:

cvet is the only good character left.

Shell is standing right there dude!

Who would let a kid see that?! What monster shows that to a child?!

No French horror movie should be viewed by anyone who isn't A) an adult and also B) heavily into the horror scene already, and even then it's still going to be a rough ride.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
the takeaway from brawl is that deliberately trying to make a game anti-competitive also makes the game a miserable experience for casual players. unless you're 100% orange juice

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

dragon enthusiast posted:

the takeaway from brawl is that deliberately trying to make a game anti-competitive also makes the game a miserable experience for casual players. unless you're 100% orange juice

Katt said this and Annie just nodded along.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
honestly this is the second time I've posted a reply in the wrong thread in the past two months, so instead of blaming my own self I'm going to complain about awful.app

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A gunnerkrigg reskin of 100% orange juice would rule so hard

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Eventually I realized this must have been a post that accidentally ended up in the wrong thread, but at first I read this and thought I was having a stroke.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

There wasn't really anything wrong with the gameplay (back then of course, it'd probably feel real bad after playing Ultimate) except for a single thing: tripping. What a monumentally awful design choice. Trying to gently caress over the competitive scene by adding tripping just made it so even casual players didn't get to have fun because they also tripped. Tripping felt lovely!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Tony is pro tripping and sbmm

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Kat is on her 5th iteration of her own Project M.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Brb, going to tell Mort what the saddest thing is.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tony and Kat when Annie's not around

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Snake Maze posted:

Katt said this and Annie just nodded along.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Shell is standing right there dude!

are you trying to tell me you think pick-me simpgirl is as cool as sassy gossipdragon???

/s

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
So they want to steal Coyote's power, but he shouldn't use his own magic doing it? Those are some dumb rules.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I was not prepared for the nostalgia rush from Tom's comment on this page.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Eventually I realized this must have been a post that accidentally ended up in the wrong thread, but at first I read this and thought I was having a stroke.

lol

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Niavmai posted:

are you trying to tell me you think pick-me simpgirl is as cool as sassy gossipdragon???

/s

That hot take just set gillite on fire.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Darth TNT posted:

So they want to steal Coyote's power, but he shouldn't use his own magic doing it? Those are some dumb rules.

technically he didn't use it to steal Coyote's power, but to save Shell's life, so presumably it doesn't count

shades of the the scam the guides faction pulled on Annie

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Omega? That doesn't sound ominous at all.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
oh hey are we finally getting to the omega thing

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Negative Nancy stuff below if you want to avoid it. Sorry.

I can't say I really understand why Annie is going out of her way to comfort this complete stranger when they just ran a dangerous experiment that could've resulted in dozens of people being killed and she's had less reason to trust the Court's employees than ever, including the shadow men who have acted a bit condescending to her at every turn.

I feel like it wouldn't really be my first impulse to comfort someone who's angry about their secretive experiment blowing up and bringing consequences to one of the people who willingly endangered me to perform it without my knowledge. Like, this very possibly DID kill people! And Shell is defensive and upset, which isn't exactly the kind of attitude that makes me want to approach a stranger I have reasons to be hostile to.

Shell is cute and all, but it just sort of feels like it's dragging on a bit for several pages about a character we barely know anything about? I guess the point is that they can't do much other than wait for Parley? But she could've gone and checked on the forest creatures herself as their medium instead of sending Cvet to do it, a big rear end dragon with sharp teeth who doesn't exactly have the social tact to avoid threatening rabbits and fairies. Meanwhile, Cvet probably would've loved to fluster Shell some more and talk all about her relationship issues.

The sense of urgency about "oh we're trapped and in danger and have no idea what Loup's planning after he went completely berserk and creatures from the forest like ashrays could attack us especially now that the robot barrier is down, a thing that's common enough that it poses a regular threat if you travel through certain zones" doesn't really feel present as is, let alone with the segue into maybe-unrequited-crush slapstick/drama.

Like, the expressions are cute, but I'd expect this sort of scene for... I don't know, a character we actually know? The stuff with teasing her and the fairies flustering her sort of falls flat for me when I barely know this character. Her characterization kind of begins and ends with "she really likes this one guy".

That aside, interesting that she says "Omega said". Implies it's a person. Like, that's sort of an unnatural way to say it if it's an object - you'd be more likely to say "The Omega device said..." or whatever. I guess I shouldn't be surprised when Zimmy and Gamma are people, but everything up until this point has been alluding to it being mechanical rather than a person. (But of course, those aren't exclusive categories, see: what Kat's been doing. Maybe the prominence of that storyline isn't a coincidence and the court is doing something similar.)

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Tiny Myers posted:

Negative Nancy stuff below if you want to avoid it. Sorry.

I can't say I really understand why Annie is going out of her way to comfort this complete stranger when they just ran a dangerous experiment that could've resulted in dozens of people being killed and she's had less reason to trust the Court's employees than ever, including the shadow men who have acted a bit condescending to her at every turn.

I feel like it wouldn't really be my first impulse to comfort someone who's angry about their secretive experiment blowing up and bringing consequences to one of the people who willingly endangered me to perform it without my knowledge. Like, this very possibly DID kill people! And Shell is defensive and upset, which isn't exactly the kind of attitude that makes me want to approach a stranger I have reasons to be hostile to.

Shell is cute and all, but it just sort of feels like it's dragging on a bit for several pages about a character we barely know anything about? I guess the point is that they can't do much other than wait for Parley? But she could've gone and checked on the forest creatures herself as their medium instead of sending Cvet to do it, a big rear end dragon with sharp teeth who doesn't exactly have the social tact to avoid threatening rabbits and fairies. Meanwhile, Cvet probably would've loved to fluster Shell some more and talk all about her relationship issues.

The sense of urgency about "oh we're trapped and in danger and have no idea what Loup's planning after he went completely berserk and creatures from the forest like ashrays could attack us especially now that the robot barrier is down, a thing that's common enough that it poses a regular threat if you travel through certain zones" doesn't really feel present as is, let alone with the segue into maybe-unrequited-crush slapstick/drama.

Like, the expressions are cute, but I'd expect this sort of scene for... I don't know, a character we actually know? The stuff with teasing her and the fairies flustering her sort of falls flat for me when I barely know this character. Her characterization kind of begins and ends with "she really likes this one guy".

That aside, interesting that she says "Omega said". Implies it's a person. Like, that's sort of an unnatural way to say it if it's an object - you'd be more likely to say "The Omega device said..." or whatever. I guess I shouldn't be surprised when Zimmy and Gamma are people, but everything up until this point has been alluding to it being mechanical rather than a person. (But of course, those aren't exclusive categories, see: what Kat's been doing. Maybe the prominence of that storyline isn't a coincidence and the court is doing something similar.)

Hell, with all the time travel going on, maybe Robot Goddess Kat *is* Omega.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

There Bias Two posted:

Hell, with all the time travel going on, maybe Robot Goddess Kat *is* Omega.

This actually feels possible. I've always thought it weird that the Court seems to be letting her casually liberate their workforce from their mechanical bodies and giving them new lives. In general, just... making an entirely new species and effectively creating life from nothing. Like, yeah, something something Juliette and the Seraph robots trying to keep her work under wraps, but that falls apart once the first new human-robot walks around in the Court, and even before that, it's no secret they keep tabs on their students, including trackers in their food. They'd never send someone down to check out her warehouse or investigate what she's doing with all the parts she's ordering?

Her being key to their research would make a lot of sense. Plus, this is just a few chapters apart, with very similar wording.

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2265

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2430

A way of looking into the unseen world. Something that Kat is coincidentally developing in a way that is implied to be much different from the way, say, Annie might see it. For example: the way she saw ROTD distilled extremely plainly, and how easily she seems to grok a lot of things that are so complicated they're not supposed to be understandable by humans, like robot code, or when she helped Annie save Jeanne's boyfriend from his shackles despite it being an intensely complex, maze-like device that was never meant to be undone.

Zimmy also goes on to say that it's "a bunch of stuff that is only explained by not having an explanation", and talks about how it drives the court (and Kat) crazy. Perhaps Kat's true power lies in being able to distill the unexplainable into the explainable. We've seen her be obsessed with trying to solve and explain it several times throughout the comic. The omega device would then not just peer into the ether, but also simplify it into easy, digestible, recordable information.

There's also been some foreshadowing about Kat going down a darker path. "You gotta keep an eye on her." "She almost went down a dark road." As well as the implication that Kat has an alternate-timeline self that lost Annie that had to break time to save her, and talk of alternate timeline selves in general.

Could be that Omega is Kat from an alternate timeline, or similar.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Or it could just be a fancy magitech calculator.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Could also be some weirdo welded into a machine 40k style.

A possible explanation for why to take the time to assuage Shell is to get her to share information. Note I say possible because I don't recall Annie ever really having the social acumen to do that kind of deception.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Annie is being nice to Shell because she's a nice person who tries to be decent to others, even if she doesn't like them, this is pretty basic imo. Like if she can care about loving Coyote and Ysegrin, she can care about Shell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
The whole extended bit focusing on Shell's romantic interests and being comically flustered really does feel like a weirdly sharp deescalation in tension, though.