Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The random tables in both are great for personalizing your own setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK thank you fine folks. My best friend mentioned he'd backed the project and so I think he's fishing for a game. I'll take a look.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I think all good Goons love the random tables. Sine Nomine books are S-tier resources. Every Goon has a different tolerance for "rescuing d20 and D&D stats". I get hyped if I know my GM has access to Sine Nomine books, I'd be nervous about playing in a Sine Nomine game for too long.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Does anyone know anything definite about Morrus’ attempt to upgrade 5e?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The guy who runs ENWorld trying to fix 5e? It's definitely going to suck.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

The guy who runs ENWorld trying to fix 5e? It's definitely going to suck.

I'm not so sure. Like, it's still going to be 5e and not convert those of us who dislike 5e, sure, but from what I understand the team that's doing the work is a bunch of people who are already familiar with 5e's problems and are very good about finding ways to fix the math/missing content. It's likely going to be like Pathfinder 1e - not a huge selling point to return to the game if you didn't like it in the first place, but a very nice upgrade if it's a system you have enjoyed in the past.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Arivia posted:

It's likely going to be like Pathfinder 1e
Yeah, like I said.

There are a zillion versions of D&D. I don't know why people feel like they have to play Official D&D, or a hack thereof.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, like I said.

There are a zillion versions of D&D. I don't know why people feel like they have to play Official D&D, or a hack thereof.

Because it's fun? I play D&D* because I genuinely enjoy it, and so do plenty of other people. D&D can be the wrong game for a lot of ideas, and it can be badly designed, and it can be the giant fish in the pond that blots out the sun, but that doesn't mean D&D can't be fun and enjoyable. It's an elfgame, it's legitimate to enjoy the game where you explore a spooky dungeon and stab a dragon a bunch. Not sure why you need to sneer at that.

*Well, right now I'm playing Swords and Wizardry (so OD&D) with a bunch of 2e stuff and other things added in. But it's still pretty much D&D.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
You misunderstand. I'm saying that with all the versions of D&D out there, why would you want to play one designed by Morrus or, even worse, Mike Mearls?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Arivia posted:

Because it's fun? I play D&D* because I genuinely enjoy it, and so do plenty of other people. D&D can be the wrong game for a lot of ideas, and it can be badly designed, and it can be the giant fish in the pond that blots out the sun, but that doesn't mean D&D can't be fun and enjoyable. It's an elfgame, it's legitimate to enjoy the game where you explore a spooky dungeon and stab a dragon a bunch. Not sure why you need to sneer at that.

*Well, right now I'm playing Swords and Wizardry (so OD&D) with a bunch of 2e stuff and other things added in. But it's still pretty much D&D.

Very true

Halloween Jack posted:

You misunderstand. I'm saying that with all the versions of D&D out there, why would you want to play one designed by Morrus or, even worse, Mike Mearls?

Also a good point, if you're going to use an official D&D version as the basis of your game better to use one of the less busted and weird versions

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Because you started with and like that edition and have a bunch of WotC books but are frustrated with the internally not working great or missing parts? We're not talking about an edition being critically The Best, it's just The Edition That People Already Like Playing But A Bit Better.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

What are some fun co-op board games for two or more people? Looking for stuff to play with my wife.

edit: I don't mean two player only, but some games that are technically 2+ players need at least 3 to work well.

PookBear fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 22, 2021

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Any of the Pandemic Legacy games or Gloomhaven are some of the best games on the market, but are arguably best at 4. As in very good across the board but some people find exactly 4 to be even better so if it’s reasonably practical you might want to get that number.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Spirit Island is my favorite

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Speaking of Blades in the Dark supplements, it looks like there's going to be one for Dagger Isles:

https://www.bigbadcon.com/events/beyond-doskvol-developing-within-blades-in-the-dark/

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

PookBear posted:

What are some fun co-op board games for two or more people? Looking for stuff to play with my wife.

edit: I don't mean two player only, but some games that are technically 2+ players need at least 3 to work well.

Spirit Island is fantastic. Sentinels of the Multiverse is great but kinda pricey.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

fool of sound posted:

Spirit Island is fantastic. Sentinels of the Multiverse is great but kinda pricey.

I'd almost suggest just sticking with the Steam version of Sentinels which does a lot of the annoying work for you.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

PookBear posted:

The board games thread is high traffic and good at these sorts of recommendations.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Dawgstar posted:

I'd almost suggest just sticking with the Steam version of Sentinels which does a lot of the annoying work for you.

I don't think I would ever want to play the physical game against Matriarch or Wager Master.
Plus isnt there supposed to eventually be a re-release with new art and all those rare alternative hero cards supplied in the box?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Coolness Averted posted:

I don't think I would ever want to play the physical game against Matriarch or Wager Master.
Plus isnt there supposed to eventually be a re-release with new art and all those rare alternative hero cards supplied in the box?

Yeah, there was a second edition that was successfully Kickstarted a while ago. The Definitive Edition. It's coming along but I can't imagine it won't be choked by the shipping hell that like everybody's been suffering.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is there a good option for a more low-to-the-ground medieval fantasy adventure game? Like still the typical loop of "hey go wipe out some goblins for our town" and stuff but a group of ne'er-do-well PCs would still find themselves in trouble if they started throwing their weight around a typical fantasy village? Like where the power scale is something more like the film The Magnificent Seven?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is there a good option for a more low-to-the-ground medieval fantasy adventure game? Like still the typical loop of "hey go wipe out some goblins for our town" and stuff but a group of ne'er-do-well PCs would still find themselves in trouble if they started throwing their weight around a typical fantasy village? Like where the power scale is something more like the film The Magnificent Seven?

Beyond the Wall, Knave, OSE; most B/X derivatives are lower-powered.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 23, 2021

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Brancalonia.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Nessus posted:

Brancalonia.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Nessus posted:

Brancalonia.
I really like Beyond the Wall but this is the correct answer

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I was just going to post Brancalonia too.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Did I miss something, or did four goons in a row just recommend a 5E setting?

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
Yeah, I wrote a Let's Read for it some time ago.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

PookBear posted:

Legendary Encounters: Alien works best two or three player in my experience.

The new Arkham Horror board game (the third edition) works surprisingly well two player too.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

CitizenKeen posted:

Did I miss something, or did four goons in a row just recommend a 5E setting?
Hey, sometimes the ask fits something perfectly.

I haven't had the chance to play it, but I think Brancalonia's encouragement of campaigns wrapping around level 7 also dodges some of 5E's real bullshit. And you could use the setting in FATE or something, too.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 24, 2021

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Nessus posted:

Hey, sometimes the ask fits something perfectly.

I haven't had the chance to play it, but I think Brancalonia's encouragement of campaigns wrapping around level 7 also dodges some of 5E's real bullshit. And you could use the setting in FATE or something, too.

I love the flavor of the setting but I really wonder about the extent to which even a modified 5e is a great option for grimy street-level heroics.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I love the flavor of the setting but I really wonder about the extent to which even a modified 5e is a great option for grimy street-level heroics.

you didn't say grimy in your original post though, you said you wanted something that's thematically low power where the PCs don't quickly outmatch entire towns. brancalonia doesn't have lingering wound tracking or whatever, but it definitely fits the "if the barkeep gets mad he can actually throw me out of the inn and the sheriff can chase me out of town" idea you originally stated.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
And it has a KickStarter for a new expansion book too!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nehru the Damaja posted:

*sobs sadly into a handful of wfrp3e cards*

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

drat I didnt knew KDM had Himbo minis

https://twitter.com/HBJohnXuandou/status/1451416766362521603?t=0_6MscLiyrL-_9hPQ2lc-w&s=19

e: spoilering because sexy dudes

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 24, 2021

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It sounds like you just want warhammer fantasy roleplay.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

fool of sound posted:

It sounds like you just want warhammer fantasy roleplay.
Hell, just steal WFRP's rules and staple them to Barcalonia. It's not like Tilea and Estalia are well developed anyway.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Or you could take, uh, Warlock! and marry it to Barcalonia's setting if you wanted an OSR agnostic setting take on Warhammer.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

It's Brancalonia, you Bretagnan dogs

Nehru the Damaja posted:

This is a fair cop. Adapting WHFRP using the setting seems like it could be a good marriage. I believe a lot of the original book had unique systems in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, like I said.

Maybe Arivia is wrong to compare it to PF1E. It sounds like it's rooted in a very different motivation. PF1E was a backlash against 4E's attempt to iterate a better version of 3E. The ENWorld stuff sounds more like it's an attempt to iterate a better version of 5E. Every version of D&D is either Official D&D or a hack thereof. Play the one that satisfies you the most or make a version of one that satisfies you the most. It sounds like the ENWorld version is an attempt at the latter.