Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Movie good. My wife was mad that it seems all Jessica did until the end sequence was cry. The mega 420 clouds of the poison tooth scene was laughable. How did his shield keep the baron from breathing that poo poo? Eh, shields are a dumb concept but I understand its a flaw of the setting and not the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Vampire Panties posted:

Zendaya Dove commercial interludes. Chani is an accomplished Fremen. Why not show her doing something?
I mean... she narrates the start of the film and gives the audience its first description of dune. she is shown in a leadership position over a freman attack on a harvesting operation, which included the badass 1v1 me bro freman that teaches paul about freman in his dreams (so she has authority over badass freman, not just normal freman - apparently his name is Jamis now that I looked it up) and then she gets the drop on paul during a fight and is all sassy about it and then gives him a cool knife with a family history and all this in the movie she is barely in.... I think she'll do ok in the movie shes actually in, based on that.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Oct 22, 2021

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

Springfield Fatts posted:

Movie good. My wife was mad that it seems all Jessica did until the end sequence was cry. The mega 420 clouds of the poison tooth scene was laughable. How did his shield keep the baron from breathing that poo poo? Eh, shields are a dumb concept but I understand its a flaw of the setting and not the movie.

It was actually just a fart.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Haven't read it in a while, but shield strength is adjustable and can be set high enough that you'll end up suffocating yourself due to gas not diffusing across the shield.

No one would crank it that high for an entire fight, but for someone cautious enough to be shielded even when gloating over a captured opponent, well...

Gotta find time to watch this today. Reading here and there that the audio mix makes it hard to hear what people are saying, but hopefully it won't be too bad.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
re: keynes it was nice of denis not to kill Keynes in what's basically a worm fart. That always felt pretty brutal in the book

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

AwkwardKnob posted:

The Herbert estate and his son were literally like "yeah this is the definitive Dune movie now, by far"

Probably the last person/people I'd use to make this determination. Can't imagine anyone on Earth who understands Dune worse than the son.

Shields are cool it's why there are sword fights.

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate

The mega 420 clouds of the poison tooth scene was laughable. How did his shield keep the baron from breathing that poo poo?

It didn't keep him from breathing it, though, it just prevented a fatal dose. You see his shield go red once Leto exhales and right before they slam the door he's passed out on the table. Then later, he's submerged in the 10191 AD version of a bacta tub. "He's not completely healed" or something like that.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
No I understand the overall concept but it falls apart when you think about it like how the slow knife is supposed to kill but everyone was just 100% sword whacking everyone because you can't film that poo poo, or how a dart just sort of hovers for a second before boring in instead of just deflecting off. Or how they just gave up doing the crunk walk across the sand because it would just look goofy on film full time, even with a worm right loving there yeah yeah there was a rider on it so maybe they could of directed it away don't get me wrong I love DUNC and the movie was overall very very good it's just those tiny things I'm picking at.

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)

sebmojo posted:

Now I think about it, the sardaukar in harkonnen gear is actually a fairly trivial plot point, especially since everyone instantly penetrates the ruse lol

Re-reading the book, I kept loling about how well this kinda thing was used to raise the dramatic stakes of the inter-nobility death chess aspect of the story. They're all out-scheming each other! Schemes within scheme within schemes! It owns, and you get to feel like you're in the cool inner circle scheme club of both teams multiple times.

My brain remembered the sadaukar thing being a huge twist, but they describe the scheme in, like, chapter two. And then in chapter three the target of the scheme is like "oh yeah I know and am working on my own scheme."

Really lets you know off the bat: these fuckers can scheme.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen known for his other roles!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vevyf7blQ-4

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Getting hyped for the movie by replaying Dune II as House Ordos.:twisted:

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
My only nitpick is how they handled Yueh. In the book and the David Lynch version, knowing he was the traitor right from the start gave us an opportunity to see his inner conflict and get right inside his head.

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:
We can't get inside his head without inner monologues. The relevant scenes in the book are almost entirely his own tortured reasoning when contrasting the plot with how he genuinely helps his masters.

Also, someone mentioned diarrhea in stillsuits a few pages back and my head produced the word "stillsoup" as a result. I don't want to think about it anymore.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Loved every choice that Denis made.

oh wow the lasers!

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011

Jesus In A Can posted:

It didn't keep him from breathing it, though, it just prevented a fatal dose. You see his shield go red once Leto exhales and right before they slam the door he's passed out on the table. Then later, he's submerged in the 10191 AD version of a bacta tub. "He's not completely healed" or something like that.

Being saved by his shield is also true to the book:

“He could analyze it now. His shield had been activated, set low but still enough to slow molecular interchange across the field barrier. And he had been pushing himself away from the table… that and Piter’s shocked gasp which had brought the guard captain darting forward into his own doom.”

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Movie good. My wife was mad that it seems all Jessica did until the end sequence was cry.
I'm with your wife on this. Jessica is an understated badass and pretty much everything that establishes that in the book is missing from the film.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

SubponticatePoster posted:

I'm with your wife on this. Jessica is an understated badass and pretty much everything that establishes that in the book is missing from the film.

To be fair she didn't really have any opportunity before the helicopter ride where she commands a dude to kill another in front of her son then cuts 2 throats to be badass in non courtly ways, and a lot of that is inner monologue that got cut.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
I expected some landing gear shots but wow that was a lot

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Loved a lot of it but felt the harvester scene should not have focussed on Paul. It took away from the key moment of Leto choosing his men over the spice/harvester by having Paul do something really stupid (walking all the way up to the harvester, which was established as being quite far, to casually sit down and have himself another vision while the worm was basically on top of them). Killed the pacing and tension of the scene for me, plus I felt it missed the point of that moment in the story. At least they waited until after to actually show the vision. drat there were a lot of long visions... I mean it's not a huge thing but it bugged me.

Also did not care for the score at all, almost none of it really fit the scenes. Felt more like a collection of random notes than a score for the most part and I hated the vocalisation parts, felt they took away a lot of the emotional power of scenes and actually served as a jump scare for me at one point because suddenly this woman starts screaming in my ear during a quiet moment.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

To be fair she didn't really have any opportunity before the helicopter ride where she commands a dude to kill another in front of her son then cuts 2 throats to be badass in non courtly ways, and a lot of that is inner monologue that got cut.
There was the scene with Mapes, having a guard present. Could've done something showing her appearing to be casual but ready for violence. Also disappointed with the Mohiam stuff, she appeared to just be terrified the whole time instead of any of the affectionate back-and-forth from the original, or defiance on Jessica's part. The 'thopter scene was good though.

I'm with everyone else, give me a 5-hour director's cut, Denis!

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
In the mapes scene she was clearly very controlled and prepared to handle violence herself, she was ordering the guard to let her handle it surreptitiously while talking to mapes.

The harvester focusing more on Paul was a little unnecessary, there could have been another spice scene anywhere, but the movie took the time to show a Fremen/Kynes reacting to "drat the spice, save the men!"

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
movie good, seeing it on imax on Saturday. i guess i'll complain about the fact that they went and got such a great cast together and then most of them were on screen for like 5 minutes.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Did anyone else notice Marianne Faithfull in the credits BG ancestor voice? Between her and Rampling there's a lot of swinging london in the ranks of the space witches

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

pile of brown posted:

In the mapes scene she was clearly very controlled and prepared to handle violence herself, she was ordering the guard to let her handle it surreptitiously while talking to mapes.

The harvester focusing more on Paul was a little unnecessary, there could have been another spice scene anywhere, but the movie took the time to show a Fremen/Kynes reacting to "drat the spice, save the men!"

Ya Lynch had paul getting high on spice cow tales right before the hunter seeker, kind of diminshed Leto’s character ya felt out of place during the harvester scene

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

Steadiman posted:

Also did not care for the score at all, almost none of it really fit the scenes. Felt more like a collection of random notes than a score for the most part and I hated the vocalisation parts, felt they took away a lot of the emotional power of scenes and actually served as a jump scare for me at one point because suddenly this woman starts screaming in my ear during a quiet moment.

I swear I had a PTSD flashback to *ancient lamentation plays* from the Schnyder cut of justice league when that part of the theme kicked in. I seriously wondered if they had just spliced in that theme it sounded so similar. But over all the soundtrack was the weakest part of the film, I agree.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Watched it at home with a big TV and booming surround sound.

It was FANTASTIC.

Personally, I always disliked Lynch Dune so I made no comparisons to it. This movie fucks. It fucks hard until you are almost finished.

I am ready for Dune II because I have the balls of Ibad iykwim

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Gomez Chamberlain posted:

This movie fucks. It fucks hard until you are almost finished.

Are you suggesting Denis Villeneuve is a selfish lover?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Tree Bucket posted:

Mentats can be easily defeated by asking them to divide by zero. It makes their eyes go blank and they fall over twitching.
For a less cruel version, ask them to define pi, and slip out the door somewhere around the five hundredth decimal place.

Haha called it!

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

That shot of the baron curled up in the corner of the ceiling after getting toothed owned. And that little instrument one of his attendants was playing

And they really emphasized the bull's head and the old duke. In fact I think that the baron deliberately looks a lot like one of those gigantic, jacked bulls

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
This film needs to have a director's cut of like 2 more hours of footage.

The whole thing felt rushed, and cut out so much of what makes the book great.

It sort of reminds me of what if you only had 30 minutes of a 90 minute movie to get to know Ned Stark before he's offed.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i will be rather disappointed if they don't put out some big fuckoff bluray set with an expanded cut and a bunch of extras.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i saw the Dune movie. had no knowledge of Dune beforehand.

really enjoyed it! definitely a dense movie. felt like the first half was almost entirely exposition and the second half was an endless chase scene.

i wanna know more about this hosed up feudal society. they have IR-guided AA missiles but also swords?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

jeeves posted:

This film needs to have a director's cut of like 2 more hours of footage.

The whole thing felt rushed, and cut out so much of what makes the book great.

It sort of reminds me of what if you only had 30 minutes of a 90 minute movie to get to know Ned Stark before he's offed.

I enjoyed it well enough but I am jealous of the people saying how amazing it is because my takeaway was man this really needed to be a high-budget HBO series.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Groovelord Neato posted:

I enjoyed it well enough but I am jealous of the people saying how amazing it is because my takeaway was man this really needed to be a high-budget HBO series.

Confirm.

I guess it's amazing that Lord of the Rings got adapted somewhat as well as it did, because this definitely felt like a very abridged version of the first half of something that would be far better as a 10 part one hour each series.

I mean, the thing eventually found its way to HBOMAX anyhow :dog:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s going to end up being like 5 hours so that’s pretty long

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

punishedkissinger posted:

i saw the Dune movie. had no knowledge of Dune beforehand.

really enjoyed it! definitely a dense movie. felt like the first half was almost entirely exposition and the second half was an endless chase scene.

i wanna know more about this hosed up feudal society. they have IR-guided AA missiles but also swords?

The guided missiles are actually kind of weird and are something that most of the houses don't use, the Harkonnens use of ancient artillery weapons is actually a surprise to the Atreides in the book (where they are just conventional artillery). The shields render most forms of ballistic weaponry obsolete, except for the lasers which create an explosion that kills the shield wearer, the laser person, and everyone within a large area around them. Most houses also have atomic weapon stockpiles, but it's a last resort thing that keeps military conflicts small and prevents total war between the houses - which is why they prefer to follow a code of sanctioned revenge that isn't mentioned by name, but more or less hinted at.

There are no computers because of a religious taboo from like thousands of years ago. Humans are trained to prefer calculations in the way that computers would be used. Paul is one of these people, but they dropped that part despite it being very important to the whole Kwisatz Haderach aspect of him because the movie is already 2.5 hours long and Villeneuve wanted a minimum of exposition.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Ithle01 posted:

Paul is one of these people, but they dropped that part despite it being very important to the whole Kwisatz Haderach aspect of him because the movie is already 2.5 hours long and Villeneuve wanted a minimum of exposition.

Extended cut wil have two extra hours, but one of those hours is just Paul and Tuffir talking about trains, Warner immediatly pulls support for Dune Part Deuce.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Bubblyblubber posted:

Extended cut wil have two extra hours, but one of those hours is just Paul and Tuffir talking about trains, Warner immediatly pulls support for Dune Part Deuce.

Stick it in my VEINS

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

im watching Dune '84 and i gotta say, Kyle Machlachlan is wayyyy better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
It came out tonight. What's the consensus?