Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Poil posted:

Having prices fluctuate depending on season would be cool. But unless it's rare niche items it's very hard to imagine how a single person farming by hand can somehow affect the price of any crop. Maybe if you got paid more for selling stuff locally, the rest gets bought by joja nationally or similar, then there would be a real and low limit to deal with.

Fable tried this because they wanted you to be able to make money through arbitrage and thinking and it just led to an exploit where if you sold a poo poo-ton of gems to a shopkeeper they would pay you a ton of money because they had none so it was really valuable and it would then drop to a value far below what you sold it for once you gave it to them because they had a lot so it was worthless. You could just do it over and over and generate infinite money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Sure, but I also bet CA is a better designer than Molyneux and would account for that.

Man I kinda miss fable. And I’m also sad about how much potential it had only to Have every system fall prey to pie in the sky ideas that only got half developed.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Fable 3 for all its faults is still a decently fun game if you don't take it too seriously. Definitely a victim of its own ambitions though.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Willy Wonka + Ghosts looks less spooky and more wholesome than regular Willy Wonka, which is a bit of a thinker.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
we can see there are plants, but can I be gay in it?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Poque posted:

we can see there are plants, but can I be gay in it?

I'd bet dollars to donuts you can

The real question is can you be an enby? I am not one but I want people to have that option

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Chocolate labour taken to the extreme, forced to work after death in a chocolate factory after life of poverty farming cacao.

I loved the extended art added in the last few Stardew updates... was kind of hoping they'd be recruited again to help keep refreshing the look, but they've gotten better with experience themselves too.

Excited for this in the abstract, don't wanna think about it too close with it still in flux and all though because it sounds like it's double-downing on the mine-combat of the original. Of all the different games, many entirely based around combat, from that kind of griddy directional zelda-lttp-y combat and even the best of them I didn't really like as a combat system. Even adding a dodge or some other movement options, always feels a bit flat to me. you're very much stuck to the flat grid. will also just be cool to see someone else's take on the shopkeeper kind of game. less established conventions, and nobody's really nailed it so feels like there's definitely room for someone to really take the working components and bring em all together in one great package. I don't think combat + salvage parts + put items in place for npcs to buy or not is enough alone so will be cool to see what management or other components get pulled into this.

edit: that was more negative than i meant for it to be, i think i already spewed out a bunch of "omg so cool and very excited" reactions elsewhere my bad this gonna be cool even if nothing i fussed about changes

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Rynoto posted:

Fable 3 for all its faults is still a decently fun game if you don't take it too seriously. Definitely a victim of its own ambitions though.

Ah the game where truly saving the kingdom can only be done by becoming a landlord and rubber banding your analog stick so the kings runs around in circles for 10 hours while you do something else

I actually love the whole fable trilogy I just also hate it like all fable fans do.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Poil posted:

I don't want to know what kind of chocolate requires fish. :barf:

Aren't there a bunch of fish derivatives and by-products present in all sorts of unexpected products? I don't know if chocolate is one of them, but still.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I actually love the whole fable trilogy I just also hate it like all fable fans do.

That's the best way I've ever seen the Fable games described. I played a shitload of of 1 and 3 (its loving bullshit 2 isn't on PC) and even though I love them both I can't say for sure if they're fun.

I even have the copy of Fable 3 on Steam that doesn't exist anymore but I can still play.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Pththya-lyi posted:

I'd bet dollars to donuts you can

The real question is can you be an enby? I am not one but I want people to have that option

i am, and i hope so! :)

i'd be very surprised if you can't, based on his track record of being awesome in the past

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Where does player gender come up in Stardew valley?

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Grundulum posted:

Where does player gender come up in Stardew valley?

Which side of the spa you can enter. Other than that it has a few minor changes to heart events, and different gifts from your parents early game. That's it to my knowledge.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
And post-1.5, choice of gender is not a permanent trait.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Unclouded posted:

Which side of the spa you can enter. Other than that it has a few minor changes to heart events, and different gifts from your parents early game. That's it to my knowledge.

There is some text changes as well post marriage/dating. The most obvious one is if PC is male and romances Alex, George will make a comment that he hadn't really understood those relationships but is just glad Alex is happy.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Leah's ex Kel matches the player, which is only relevant if you're making the correct choice happening to romance Leah. Kind of a player-sexual thing which might put someone off?
Also I'm not sure what happens if you change your gender, whether Kel's gets "set" at some point or it just always plays the cutscene that matches yours.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
i'm finding the fact that Leah and Robin look so similar kind of offputting. i don't wanna date carpenter mom

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

That's bait isn't it?

Everyone wants to date carpenter mom.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
no, i have no idea what the community around this game is. i avoid that stuff! haha. i just now found out about Trash Bear and that there's a whole forest below Leah's house!

is Carpenter Mom popular? she's my mom. i don't wanna date my mom!

i've got Emily and Penny at 4 hearts and Leah at 3 but i'm considering a pivot to Abigail because she's hilarious and spoooooooky. i'm also kinda going for Sam.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Everyone loves robin hates Demetrius and wants to break them up

Demetrius Clint and Pierre are in a constant race for most hated townie (Clint always wins)

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
All just opinions warning!

Robin feels more charming than Leah. Also you actually see her around. Some of this may also be due to different ages of the players. Or of course, if she actually resembles your mom.

It's a weird quirk. The red headed girl and the fabio guy are the two characters who you don't see much in normal play. They are also unambiguously grown adults. Which is another barrel of issues, mostly inherited from Harvest Moon DNA.

Plus just how different people parse different bits of sprite work. Because Penny is small, spends all her time with kids, and her portrait is done in a different style and angle, and the 'kid living in a trailer tent with her hosed up mum' , my brain reads her as like 14. Or like, Maru has a job as a nurse, she should probably seem a sensible age. But I just don't get that vibe. Or Emily looks like an alien in a skin suit.

EDIT : And this is why I played a like 75 hour run and never got close to marrying anyone.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
i guess i don't really think of any of that haha. everyone seems like an adult to me! but Elliott does seem older than everyone else.

i actually like Demetrius! he's nerdy and polite. never talk to Maru though, she's boring.

no opinion on Pierre because i never talk to him either haha. Clint is... fine, i guess.

i kinda hate Marnie because of her random shop behavior

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

A lot of the romancable characters fall into an ambiguous age where it feels like proper adulthood is still ahead of them, but largely as a result of there just not being many opportunities in Pelican Town. Most of them live with their parents, because they can't afford to move out. They don't have full-time jobs, because the town doesn't have that amount of work to do. The town isn't big enough for a structured education system so you can't really tell whether they've even finished high school yet.
No matter how much time passes, no one's going to make any progress in those growing-up milestones either. This is partly just the conceit of the game not wanting to give you time limits, but you can also feel a lot of them struggling against the limits of what they can achieve in their small town. Alex never got the chance to join a proper sports team. Maru doesn't get to go to university. Haley and Sebastian aren't part of the urban society they want to be in. Everyone's just a bit stunted, and it's easy to get the impression they're younger than they necessarily have to be as a result.

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021

Tylana posted:

Or Emily looks like an alien in a skin suit.

Still the best wife.

Only because krobus is a roommate not a wife.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

That's funny.

Penny I definitely saw as an adult having to cope with her lovely mother, she's also the breadwinner there too. Since I'm also a teacher I found her being the teacher relatable and adult enough.

The other's that live at home though I definitely saw as younger, except for Emily, and to a far lesser extent Haley.

Maru's job as nurse does make me feel like she's older.

All told only Sam, Sebastian, Alex, and Abigail really feel particularly young. I'd add Haley and Maru to that too I guess.

---

Simone Magus posted:

no, i have no idea what the community around this game is. i avoid that stuff! haha. i just now found out about Trash Bear and that there's a whole forest below Leah's house!

is Carpenter Mom popular? she's my mom. i don't wanna date my mom!

i've got Emily and Penny at 4 hearts and Leah at 3 but i'm considering a pivot to Abigail because she's hilarious and spoooooooky. i'm also kinda going for Sam.

Robin's just very charismatic, charming and helpful. I never saw her as a motherly figure. I think the spritework gave Marnie more that impression to me, also the fact that she dates "Dad" aka the Mayor, helps cement it.

Either way just keep playing and getting to know people better to see how you feel about them.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Update from my second year of Stardew! Almost to the end of Winter. I don't think I'll get enough points on the second year evaluation, but I have plenty of diamonds to reset it once I've chosen a marriage candidate to add some points.

And yeah, some of them feel really teenager-y, although a lot of that is the interaction between them and the parents where you're getting shotgun talks or they're being told to go to their room or whatever, and then some of them who don't feel that young I'm just not into, so I'm learning towards Leah right now. But I want to 8/10 hearts everyone first and then decide to prevent jealousy gift giving problems.

In regards to Bitey, the roaming farm slime, I was having issues with getting randomly poisoned while trying to go down the back exit plus winter hit! Very unhealthy for a slime, they might freeze solid, yeah? So I built a mini pen:

Borders the water (for drinking), a nice fire for warmth, a little decoration, and safely fenced in. When I have the slime ring and I can get in there without getting attacked I'm going to expand with a little garden and some more decorations.

Also extremely lucky days + stacking luck food + so many bombs = comedy runs in the skull mines:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Cute. Long live Bitey.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Robin owns and Demetrius is a fuckin dork who deserves a swirly.

Dude is the worst kind of nerd, being deliberately obtuse ("You asked for a fruit, a tomato is a fruit!"). Also he has that weird awkward possessive dad moment in one of Maru's heart events.

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
Yeah I dobbed him in on this latest play through, Maru calls him out for being a dick too.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

dolphinbomb posted:

Also he has that weird awkward possessive dad moment in one of Maru's heart events.

Which I think is Maru's earliest event? So the point at which she's going from "oh that's the new farmer in town" to "hey this new person seems cool", and he's already at the "don't you dare break my daughter's heart or 'ruin' her future" stage, which is kinda :wtf:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

webmeister posted:

Which I think is Maru's earliest event? So the point at which she's going from "oh that's the new farmer in town" to "hey this new person seems cool", and he's already at the "don't you dare break my daughter's heart or 'ruin' her future" stage, which is kinda :wtf:

Yeah, that event is at Maru's, like, 2-heart level, which is ridiculous

On the other hand, I knew a bunch of Gifted Kids in my youth, and invariably their parents were focused on encouraging their kid's bright future to the exclusion of all other interests - kinda like the nerd version of a pageant mom or a father who's convinced he's raising the next great left-handed pitcher or something - so to me it read less "creepy and WTF" and more "I'm gonna live my dreams vicariously through my really smart kid," which is still dickish but at least humanly comprehensible.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
If anything Leah looks like a younger Jodie. Look it's a limited art style, ok.

I always laughed at people who acted like marrying Penny was saving her from a life of poverty. I'm sure she's stoked to move into the old shack at the edge of town with the farmer who sells a couple armfulls of turnips and potatoes in a month and makes a living because they don't have to eat meals every day or pay property taxes.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Randallteal posted:

she's stoked to move into the newly renovated mansion at the edge of town with the farmer who's the country's leading producer of vintage wine, pale ale and cheese

this but unironically

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
I think she'd be secretly super depressed that you were making your money from booze.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
The witch cursed my slime hut! I had a rainbow of 20 different coloured slimes and now they must all perish and I must begin anew :(

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
i don't see Pam as being like super lovely or anything. living in a trailer isn't like, objectively a bad thing. i live in a car! haha. but also, :smith:

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Simone Magus posted:

i don't see Pam as being like super lovely or anything. living in a trailer isn't like, objectively a bad thing. i live in a car! haha. but also, :smith:

Pam treats Penny really badly in a couple of cutscenes, to the point you get call-out dialogue options about it too. I'm glad the community upgrade to the house seems to have made them both happier though, well worth the ancient fruit wine grind

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Randallteal posted:

If anything Leah looks like a younger Jodie. Look it's a limited art style, ok.

I always laughed at people who acted like marrying Penny was saving her from a life of poverty. I'm sure she's stoked to move into the old shack at the edge of town with the farmer who sells a couple armfulls of turnips and potatoes in a month and makes a living because they don't have to eat meals every day or pay property taxes.

I am growing more certain that the farmer gets such favorable prices for their crops due to the war with Gotoro Empire.

At first it's a run down farm that the player is nearly squatting on, but later on you get awards and recognitions for you work. With the food output your farm is single handedly doing that food is going somewhere and I think you're feeding the army. Whether it be crops or high end booze, the government is giving you a sweetheart deal with regards to taxes.

That being said the whole war is maddening to me. Its between two large nations where prisoners are being taken, smuggling is going on, yet you still have Stardew Valley not really worrying about it, even though the father of one family is suffering heavily from PTSD. Maybe it's a brushfire war? I dunno.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Donkringel posted:

That being said the whole war is maddening to me. Its between two large nations where prisoners are being taken, smuggling is going on, yet you still have Stardew Valley not really worrying about it, even though the father of one family is suffering heavily from PTSD. Maybe it's a brushfire war? I dunno.

Shane's alcoholism is driven by depression over endless grim news reports of the war and fear of getting drafted

Maru is working on functional robots in the hopes of creating front-line automated soldiers, and Demetrius is deep in researching bioweapons for the military

Haley and Emily's parents aren't 'on vacation', they're covert ops doing James Bond stuff behind the enemy lines

Pierre isn't mad at Joja for undercutting his business; he's mad at Joja because he wants to jack up prices and do a little war-profiteering, and the existence of the local Joja outlet prevents him from doing that

Mayor Lewis is a old-time peacenik who protested by taking the town taxes and hiding them rather than sending them in to fund the war effort. He asked Clint to help him melt the gold down into lump form to be hidden

Clint thought this was the most exciting thing ever and thought casting the gold as a statue of Lewis would be 'fun'; Lewis still hasn't forgiven him for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I can't tell if warchat is goons projecting or if it's canon stuff in the game that I just missed somehow and "well actually Stardew Valley is basically Warhammer 40k."

fake edit: New game idea--Stardew Valley but it's Warhammer 40k and you're making a living on an agriworld and the dungeon crawling part of the game is basically going and beating up Tyranids and Orks until you're basically Hero of the Imperium.

The farmer is basically Inquisitor-levels of badass but really just wants to grow turnips in peace and this drat Chaos cultists keep loving that up.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 25, 2021