Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

HootTheOwl posted:

Yes. Packs should include a checklist card for them.

Get opaque sleeves. Playing with the checklist cards sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

mcmagic posted:

Get opaque sleeves. Playing with the checklist cards sucks.

Get opaque sleeves and play with the checklist cards, pulling the card out of the sleeve every other turn sucks.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Lone Goat posted:

Get opaque sleeves and play with the checklist cards, pulling the card out of the sleeve every other turn sucks.
Get opaque sleeves and have two sets of every DFC you play with.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Use play test cards for every card in your deck so that you can keep your real cards in a stack of sealed cases near you and never risk damaging them.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Shortest Path posted:

Use play test cards for every card in your deck so that you can keep your real cards in a stack of sealed cases near you and never risk damaging them.

"this golgari grave swarm is actually an alpha serra angel"

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

fadam posted:

Yep, it’s just a logistical thing. Everyone can see that it’s in the pack obviously so to not reward people for being sneaky to hide when it was opened/picked it’s just public info if you’re playing in paper iirc.

I’ve been playing paper for years and I still start every turn with “good to untap? Okay untap, upkeep, draw…” it keeps things clear and makes it way less likely you’ll miss a trigger or something.

Also, don’t use dice to keep track of life (use a keypad or an app on your phone or something, and I’d recommend tracking your opponents as well), and if you have token creators in your deck try to track the tokens down (the store might sell them to you for pretty cheap) or create some using scrap paper stuck in a sleeve. Dice being used as tokens is the most annoying poo poo imo.

Paper magic owns and is the absolute best way to play imo. I hope you have fun!

I make it a habit to announce "go to combat?" as well.

The first pack you open in draft can be overwhelming, especially as a new player. It's common to spend much longer than everybody else at the table to make your first few picks. Most people are cool about it esp if you give the guy on your left a heads up first. Most places don't adhere to "wait for everybody to pick before going to the next pack" and will stack future packs in piles ahead of you.

This doesn't happen at good LGSes, but some players will try to pull a fast one and pull two cards from a pack instead of one (replacing it with the extra from their draft chaff or elsewhere), or just generally forgot they made a pick already. It's good practice (I have never done this because I am too trusting and also don't want to waste time counting when I could be thinking about my pick instead) to check that the pack you just got passed has N-1 cards in it, and that the rarity distribution you were handed is possible for a booster.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I guess Hasbro Pulse is getting in to the Secret Lair game?

https://hasbropulse.com/products/purrfection-foil-edition

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Lone Goat posted:

Yep

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

So I had a really good time at the draft, everyone was really nice and chill and the whole atmosphere was very relaxed. There was an odd number of players so I got a bye the first round, second round went 1-2 and third round 2-0. I drafted a couple good rares (Adeline and Smoldering Egg, both foil!), a Sunrise Cavalier and two Thermo-Alchemists so went with a WR deck - had a few burn spells but not enough to trigger the egg transform more than once in all the games.

All in all it was a great time and I'm gonna go again next week for sure, and definitely planning on going to Crimson Vow prerelease.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Pablo Nergigante posted:

So I had a really good time at the draft, everyone was really nice and chill and the whole atmosphere was very relaxed. There was an odd number of players so I got a bye the first round, second round went 1-2 and third round 2-0. I drafted a couple good rares (Adeline and Smoldering Egg, both foil!), a Sunrise Cavalier and two Thermo-Alchemists so went with a WR deck - had a few burn spells but not enough to trigger the egg transform more than once in all the games.

All in all it was a great time and I'm gonna go again next week for sure, and definitely planning on going to Crimson Vow prerelease.

Congrats! Drafting is fun, getting the first round bye is unlucky but it's still a good opportunity to hang out and watch other people play. Especially if it's your first time playing in paper then that might not be such a bad thing.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Sounds great, glad you had fun!

Show us the deck

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Went cubing for the first time post pandemic. Turn one bribery feels good man.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Went cubing for the first time post pandemic. Turn one bribery feels good man.

Cubing has been a delight!

You got the cube list? How'd you get it out turn 1?

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Silhouette posted:

You can get an e-ink notepad for like $3 on amazon, they're great for tracking everything during a game.

Huh? Where? Do you mean $30?

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

MURPHAGATOR! posted:

Potential mana problems are a cost of building a deck with more colors, especially in a draft format.

My one buddy went mono white but completely miscounted his lands and was rocking a standard 60 card with all of ten lands for a couple rounds :gonk:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
That’s impossible? You only draft 42 cards.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

:cheerdoge:

Hell yea, welcome back gamer

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Man, I haven’t played in person magic since 2004 and the Mirrodin prerelease (I was 14 and built some utter dogshit deck that I’m sure went 0-3). I really want to go to the Crimson Vow one now.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Mike N Eich posted:

Man, I haven’t played in person magic since 2004 and the Mirrodin prerelease (I was 14 and built some utter dogshit deck that I’m sure went 0-3). I really want to go to the Crimson Vow one now.

You should! Prereleases are a ton of fun.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Pvt. Parts posted:

Huh? Where? Do you mean $30?

Nah, search for stuff like "children's e-ink drawing tablet" on amazon and you'll get a bunch of results. The prices seem to have gone up a bit, but you shouldn't pay more than $10 for one.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

uggy posted:

Cubing has been a delight!

You got the cube list? How'd you get it out turn 1?

Island Mox Lotus lol. My deck was stupid. Accelleration included

2 off colour mox
lotus
mox diamond
mana vault
coalition relic

Interaction

cryptic
remand
spell pierce

Then just a bunch of things to make people concede

upheaval lmao
karn 7
jtms
bribery
treachery
consecrated sphinx

Anyways my buddy has been building it all pandemic and we finally tried it out and had a great time. Would recommend.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I could use a little help. I haven't played MtG in years but I have thousands of cards, mostly sets from 2009-2013 with smatterings before and after.

My goal is to keep a singleton cube of my Innistrad block cards because I like their flavor best, sell off anything else I have of value, and then give the bulk of cards that I can't sell to my friend's kids.

My problem is I have no idea how to efficiently go about this. The cards are not currently sorted. I don't even know where to start - how to sort them, how to efficiently determine what cards have value, etc.

Has anyone undertaken a task like this that can give some pointers so I don't spend 50 hours on a project that could take 20 if I was more efficient?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Is it felt that Sealed uses a particular skillset independent of the set, or is it basically distinct between sets and seperate from draft? I'd like to be as good as possible for Vegas but I don't know if I'd get anything out of playing Sealed for Midnight Hunt. There's all the deckbuilding principles which I can practice in draft, but maybe the only way to prepare is to pay attention in spoiler season?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

big cummers ONLY posted:

I could use a little help. I haven't played MtG in years but I have thousands of cards, mostly sets from 2009-2013 with smatterings before and after.

My goal is to keep a singleton cube of my Innistrad block cards because I like their flavor best, sell off anything else I have of value, and then give the bulk of cards that I can't sell to my friend's kids.

My problem is I have no idea how to efficiently go about this. The cards are not currently sorted. I don't even know where to start - how to sort them, how to efficiently determine what cards have value, etc.

Has anyone undertaken a task like this that can give some pointers so I don't spend 50 hours on a project that could take 20 if I was more efficient?

Scan all your R/M poo poo with the TCGPlayer app, then go to Scryfall and search r:U and sort by price:high to low and check off any pricey uncommons you have

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is it felt that Sealed uses a particular skillset independent of the set, or is it basically distinct between sets and seperate from draft? I'd like to be as good as possible for Vegas but I don't know if I'd get anything out of playing Sealed for Midnight Hunt. There's all the deckbuilding principles which I can practice in draft, but maybe the only way to prepare is to pay attention in spoiler season?

Most of the principles that work apply in draft apply for sealed, but keep in mind that sealed is slower and has more rare bombs than draft, and to consider that accordingly. Synergy cards aren't as relevant since it's unlikely you'll have all the pieces to put things together, counterspells and mind rots are better since you will play against more rares and mana bases will be shakier.

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day

big cummers ONLY posted:

I sort collections for value all the time. Here's what I do.

I strip out all of the rares and mythics. This is easy to do mindlessly because you might have the holofoil at the bottom or coloured rarity symbols to use as a guide.

I'll then sort the rares and mythics by set. I lay out the normal sets in piles in chronological order and maintain separate piles for cards from supplemental products.

I'll then sort each set pile into the number order of the cards. This is optional, but I much prefer doing it. You can do this fairly quickly by sorting by WUBRG colour, then multicoloured cards, then artifacts, then lands, then sub sorting those piles by number order and recombine them.

In your case I'd then go through all of these piles one by one with a scanner app scanning everything. The one suggested in the post above is fine, I lay each card face down on a new pile after I've scanned it to maintain stack order.

After this I'd sort the lower rarity stuff into set piles. I'd use this over Scryfall to get a sense of what desirable cards you are looking for in the lower rarities. I personally wouldn't bother ordering them or scanning them individually. You might want to. Just have the visualiser for each set up on a computer screen near you and slide through the cards looking for hits. I also personally wouldn't bother with the commons just for economy of time reasons.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is there an appreciable difference between KMC clear perfect fits and Dragon Shield clear perfect fits? I have like 14 cards left to sleeve for this Najeela deck and every store in the city is out of KMC perfect fits.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

This is exactly what I was hoping for, thanks so much! Hopefully I'll have some of this stuff on SA Mart soon. And hopefully one of my friends will actually play mtg with me one day.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

fadam posted:

Is there an appreciable difference between KMC clear perfect fits and Dragon Shield clear perfect fits? I have like 14 cards left to sleeve for this Najeela deck and every store in the city is out of KMC perfect fits.

If it's for a tournament I wouldn't mix sleeves, eating a DQ for marked cards would suck.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

neaden posted:

If it's for a tournament I wouldn't mix sleeves, eating a DQ for marked cards would suck.

It's just for commander. They're the inner sleeve inside of a Ultra Pro Matte so I'm mostly concerned about how it looks through another sleeve.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

fadam posted:

i dont know how it is these days, but when i used them about 5 years ago the dragon shield inner sleeves were ever so slightly too small and warped my cards slightly

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mike N Eich posted:

Do it! I just bought my ticket for the crimson vow prerelease :toot:

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

whydirt posted:

That’s impossible? You only draft 42 cards.

60 cards with land maybe? but his math was all sorts of off anyhow, cause he had also worked in a busy kitchen all day :confuoot:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fadam posted:

Kmc is more consistent
I always have a non zero number of miscuts with dragon Shields which doesn't matter with normal sleeves but does with perfect fits
E: mixing interiors is fine. It's exteriors you want to keep of equal wear and age

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 23, 2021

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

A big flaming stink posted:

i dont know how it is these days, but when i used them about 5 years ago the dragon shield inner sleeves were ever so slightly too small and warped my cards slightly

This was my experience. Slightly too small dragon shields that wanted to bend my cards, kmcs were excellent.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The Dragon Shield sealable perfect fit inners are the top of the market right now.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

AlternateNu posted:

The Dragon Shield sealable perfect fit inners are the top of the market right now.

While I love them and have bought too many, I'll advise that the sealable inners make the deck quite thick, and it won't fit in all deck boxes. Especially it won't fit in a Boulder and will be extremely tight in a satin tower. :(

Still love them though. I've found the GameGenic XL line to fit them well.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
A double sleeved deck with dragon shield sealable inners fits almost perfectly in my satin tower with space for a couple tokens (though it's worth noting this is for edh, so 75 cards + tokens should be more than fine). There's just the teeniest bit of rattle when I shake it lol

I swear by the sealable inners though. Once they're sleeved they're easy to swap around.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I guess Hasbro Pulse is getting in to the Secret Lair game?

https://hasbropulse.com/products/purrfection-foil-edition

Japanese cat cards are dope af, thanks for the head's up. Does that say they're only selling preorders for like 2 days? Wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Didn't we already have these?
The generous gift looks familiar
E: https://mtgrocks.com/new-purr-fect-secret-lair-revealed-by-magic-the-gathering/
Yeah, these

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 24, 2021