Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Is that Michael Bisping? Guess GSP would have been to expensive.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

side_burned posted:

WRONG! Josie Packard and her whole family are loving pointless and add nothing to the story. Aside form the opening scene where Pete finds Laura's body you can cut out everything dealing with that family and lose nothing of value to the story.

they're important to the vibe

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah those are an essential pack for me no doubt.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 12 hours!)

the thing with twin peaks and david lynch in general is there is a lot of poo poo you can point at and say 'this is pointless. this is bad writing because it doesn't fit into a recognisable plot or make a point' etc. especially in season 3, which has so many disconnected threads.

that just isn't the way david lynch thinks about storytelling because his engines are atmosphere and feeling. he's said that it's bad to be too intentional with what you want to say because you will end up making a 'message film'. i'd say the presence of a message in a story is a predominant marker of quality for most critics (and everyone's a critic now), so he's working against what most people consider comprehensibly good. if you want to criticise david lynch stuff on this basis, you absolutely can.

his preoccupations reveal themselves, because he's an unselfconscious artist. there's also that thing he said about trying therapy and giving it up immediately because the therapist warned him it may interfere with his creativity. hmm what could possibly be at the root of this man's obsession with splitting women into doubles and small town america being molested by forces of darkness. there's more to him than this obviously but these are motifs he returns to repeatedly.

there is often a coherent plot in the usual sense on top of things, but sometimes there just isn't. you either like it or you don't, and sometimes parts of it work for you while others don't even though they are both equally 'pointless' according to a message/plot based analysis.

i'm not trying to defend or criticise his style with this, i'm just pointing out what it is.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 9, 2021

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

roomtone posted:

his preoccupations reveals themselves, because he's an unselfconscious artist. there's also that thing he said about trying therapy and giving it up immediately because the therapist warned him it may interfere with his creativity. hmm what could possibly be at the root of this man's obsession with splitting women into doubles and small town america being molested by forces of darkness. there's more to him than this obviously but these are motifs he returns to repeatedly.
I mean, he found a dead body of a women when he was young. Unless that is what you are alluding to.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

side_burned posted:

WRONG! Josie Packard and her whole family are loving pointless and add nothing to the story.
wrong. The Packard house is where you find Laura's body and get a fish in a percolator. Jack Nance rules and without Josie's life and death you wouldn't have reason for Harry Truman gettin drunk and smashing up the Bookhouse

eSporks posted:

every character is amazing
wrong. gently caress billy zane

edit

roomtone posted:

i'm not trying to defend or criticise his style with this, i'm just pointing out what it is.
to hell with this neutral framing. David lynch rules because he understands that the camera is an empathy machine, and if you're not gonna focus first and foremost on taking artful photographs meant to elicit an emotional response, then why are you making a movie, go buy a thesaurus and just shove your fancy "plot" and "narrative" into a book instead

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 9, 2021

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Blotto_Otter posted:

wrong. gently caress billy zane

I skipped every scene he was in and have no regrets.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
the only bad part of the return is no billy zane :colbert:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Billy Zane is way easier to tolerate than the house of idiots James visits in S2.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Consummate Professional posted:

the only bad part of the return is no billy zane :colbert:
What are you talking about he is right there

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
What da heck. I've watched the return like 4 times and never notified this!!!!

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hey what if "twin peaks" referrs to bobs. Lmao just a little "art critic" humor for ya

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

E: ok fine, discover it yourself

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 9, 2021

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

If you like the vibes of the movie then you'll like Season 3. if you're looking for zero digressions from the main plot, characters and subplots who serve no immediately noticeable purpose, and so on, then you're out of luck because it's 18 hours of that, lol.
No spoillers, let them enjoy the ride!

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

side_burned posted:

I skipped every scene he was in and have no regrets.

On your first view? Ugh.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Having seen the series and by extension the Billy Zane scenes twice, yeah if you're gonna skip anything

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Billy Zane is way easier to tolerate than the house of idiots James visits in S2.

That was really dire subplot. Having James meet Evelyn Marsh was kind of intresting since I think Evelyn was the type of woman who Laura would grow up to be and James facing that had more potential than what we got.

I think a lot of Twin Peaks short comings come from the show trying to fit into the space of being a prime time drama on a major network in the early 90's and squaring that circle was not always successful. What I am saying is I would like to live in the world where someone gave Lynch same freedom that HBO gave David Chase.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 9, 2021

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

God that could’ve been so much better than what we got. Like James wondering into a different future for everyone he knew.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

God that could’ve been so much better than what we got. Like James wondering into a different future for everyone he knew.

Part of my thesis with Laura she is the back story for a femme fatale you see in Film Noirs. That is to say if she hadn't been murdered you can see ten or fifteen years down the road she walks back into James's life or into some PI's office after the death of some oil tycoon she meet while working at One Eyed Jack's and then married.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

side_burned posted:

That was really dire subplot. Having James meet Evelyn Marsh was kind of intresting since I think Evelyn was the type of woman who Laura would grow up to be and James facing that had more potential than what we got.

I think a lot of Twin Peaks short comings come from the show trying to fit into the space of being a prime time drama on a major network in the early 90's and squaring that circle was not always successful. What I am saying is I would like to live in the world where someone gave Lynch same freedom that HBO gave David Chase.
Or ya know, the freedom showtime gave David Lynch.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

It was more the producers explicitly making them do stupid poo poo, because television producers were really stupid

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I liked the Billy Zane plot a lot more when I decided to interpret him as a manifestation of Audrey's (or Laura if she's the dreamer of S1 and S2) memory/fantasy of a young Benjamin Horne/father figure. Then the convos between him and Ben, and the relationship with Audrey actually make a weird sort of sense. But yeah, it's pretty hard to do anything with him if you're watching it straight.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

side_burned posted:

What I am saying is I would like to live in the world where someone gave Lynch same freedom that HBO gave David Chase.

Literally season 3

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Rewatching season 3 and all I can say is….

Hellllooooo!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Rewatching season 3 and all I can say is….

Hellllooooo!

Thank you Mr. Jackpots!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/DuganAmanda/status/1449004495040569349

:unsmith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I will, thank you Mr. Lynch :3:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

drat Chad is such a little fucker. Let Hawk tear apart that bathroom in peace!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Got a light?

So the first time I saw episode 8, I was in a hotel in Anchorage. My wife and I flew in that day and we were getting married the next day. We were both tired, but wanted to watch Twin Peaks still, so we pulled it up on the laptop and watched it in bed. Both of us fell asleep in the middle, only to wake up and see this all black Abe Lincoln going, “Got a Light?” over and over. Let me tell you, that will gently caress you up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Haha, not me, I was wide awake the entire time I watched that episode. Let me tell you, that will gently caress you up.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
tbh the first time i watched that episode, i was like, 'that was boring, take me back to fun twin peaks stuff'

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

BB2K posted:

tbh the first time i watched that episode, i was like, 'that was boring, take me back to fun twin peaks stuff'

That was my girlfriend’s reaction. I adored it, but she very much preferred Zany Twin Peaks and actively hated FWWM, which we watched right before S3 started.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I was utterly transfixed the entire time. When it was over, I thought that only ten minutes had gone by.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah I can’t say I’ve experienced anything like that episode before or after it was released, that one hosed me up real good.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
My partner and I were up half the night just talking about e8.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Throw me in with the mind blown crowd. It was all so Lynchian but also unlike anything I'd ever seen before.

I still don't think I have a clear understanding of the frog lizard, or the woodsmen, or how the bomb relates, but it all just felt so right after watching it.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I was utterly transfixed the entire time. When it was over, I thought that only ten minutes had gone by.

Yea transfixed is the word I would use to. Wife and I were just saying 'What the gently caress?' multiple times too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I guess it was only a matter of time before David Lynch got into NFTs too :negative:

https://twitter.com/DAVID_LYNCH/status/1453013551241744394

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Whyyyyy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

From the replies "crypto is basically garmonbozia"