Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/A3H3Z0C.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/IRshvD9.mp4

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

OSHA approved!

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

I *love* this

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

one of my friends was asking around on facebook yesterday, "does anyone do powder coating as a hobby, have some pointers? I've got a few projects in mind" and I was like, "gently caress that gently caress you just don't, ever spill copier toner? EVER SPILL COPIER TONER FIVE POUNDS AT A TIME, ON PURPOSE?"

so, thanks this clip will really help me rub even more salt on that

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Really good suspension on that trailer, such a smooth ride

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hell yeah

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Slanderer posted:

what are chuds

It's the liberal version of "libtard" and the people who use either are complete idiots.

:kstare:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

ChesterJT posted:

It's the liberal version of "libtard" and the people who use either are complete idiots.

Sounds like classic chud/libtard rhetoric to me.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Arsenic Lupin posted:

IIRC John Wick's directors are former stuntmen, so they take safety extremely seriously.

The director is specifically Keanu’s stunt double for the Matrix movies.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

ChesterJT posted:

Chud spotted!

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

shame on an IGA posted:

one of my friends was asking around on facebook yesterday, "does anyone do powder coating as a hobby, have some pointers? I've got a few projects in mind" and I was like, "gently caress that gently caress you just don't, ever spill copier toner? EVER SPILL COPIER TONER FIVE POUNDS AT A TIME, ON PURPOSE?"

so, thanks this clip will really help me rub even more salt on that

but the guys on restoration yt make it look so easy in their garage!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

gently caress.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

haveblue posted:

but not as smooth as their skin. Also ever since I watch a Tom Scot video, I now really realy like the idea of aqua culture stuff being space ships, but for THEM.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

ChesterJT posted:

:aloom:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Shark tank on the road and coming to your town to find the best entrepreneurs they can!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

haveblue posted:

Nah, I imagine it's pretty rough.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
I know nothing about guns and even less about movie making. But I can't figuer out what someone is thinking when they pack the live ammo box to bring to the set.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Purgatory Glory posted:

I know nothing about guns and even less about movie making. But I can't figuer out what someone is thinking when they pack the live ammo box to bring to the set.

Probably just part of their "daily carry"

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ChesterJT posted:

Lmao

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Purgatory Glory posted:

"Guns are cool and I'mma fire it out back between shoots." This was the fourth accidental discharge on set, and the 24 year old gun nut armorer shot the guns with live ammo for fun when they were not in use.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Further details from the LA Times

quote:

The actor was preparing to film a scene in which he pulls a gun out of a holster, according to a source close to the production. Crew members had already shouted “cold gun” on the set. The filmmaking team was lining up its camera angles and had yet to retreat to the video village, an on-set area where the crew gathers to watch filming from a distance via a monitor.

Instead, the B-camera operator was on a dolly with a monitor, checking out the potential shots. Hutchins was also looking at the monitor from over the operator’s shoulder, as was the movie’s director, Joel Souza, who was crouching just behind her.

Baldwin removed the gun from its holster once without incident, but the second time he repeated the action, ammunition flew toward the trio around the monitor. The projectile whizzed by the camera operator but penetrated Hutchins near her shoulder, then continued through to Souza. Hutchins immediately fell to the ground as crew members applied pressure to her wound in an attempt to stop the bleeding.

Late Friday, the Associated Press reported that Baldwin was handed a loaded weapon by an assistant director who indicated it was safe to use in the moments before the actor fired it, according to court records. The assistant director did not know the prop gun was loaded with live rounds, according to a search warrant filed in a Santa Fe County court.

The person in charge of overseeing the gun props, known as the armorer, Hannah Gutierrez Reed, could not be reached for comment. The 24-year-old is the daughter of veteran armorer Thell Reed and had recently completed her first film as the head armorer for the movie “The Old Way,” with Clint Howard and Nicolas Cage.

A source close to the union said Local 44 does not know what projectile was in the gun and clarified that “live” is an industry term that refers to a gun loaded with some material such as a blank ready for filming.

So, this was during a rehearsal. The gun was supposed to be "cold" (containing nothing). Instead, it was "hot", and furthermore powerful enough it could go straight through one person and into another. The armorer wasn't an unqualified local.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

that sounds like a bullet and not some wadding or whatever

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

punishedkissinger posted:

that sounds like a bullet and not some wadding or whatever

That's my reaction, but I know absolutely nothing about the subject.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It was a live round as the news has repeated for the past few hours. Bullet, casing, primer, powder. The armorer was shooting between takes. Being a revolver and time period, probably .44 of some variety (there are several) or .45 colt/long colt. Easily tear through a shoulder (especially a normal or smaller framed person) at close range and have momentum for more.

That armorer belongs in jail for now. Prison later.

I think Baldwin earns himself some consequences from this, though not with the cops. He's a producer on the film, he put some of his own money in this, and he, in part with the other producers, decided to go ahead with dangerous work conditions and scab labor. I hope some of his credentials are revoked at a minimum, be nice to see SAG boot him off their books too.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 23, 2021

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

probably an old-rear end colt revolver lacking modern safety features. he might not have even pulled the trigger.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Likely a colt clone, single action army, fancied up. They wouldn't use actual old revolvers for this and there are plenty of cheaper clones out there.

Mechanically they're dead simple. He would have had to pull the trigger to fire it. Single action also means manually cocking the hammer for every shot. Pulling the trigger with the hammer forward does nothing, because there's nothing to release.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

do they modernize those so the hammer cant accidentally hit primer like they used to though?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah, for all we know, he pulled the gun out of the holster, his sleeve caught on the hammer, and then when he raised it to the camera, his sleeve pulled the hammer back partially and then released it and fired the bullet. Later revolvers added a mechanism that blocked the hammer until the trigger was pulled, but early revolvers did not and just pulling the hammer back to just before it locked and releasing it could shoot the gun.

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
using a gun meant to be a prop in a scene you're actively working on to get some range time in between takes is absolutely some bush league poo poo i would expect from a scab. the surprising part is that she managed to be the head armorer on a previous project. so either she does this all the time, and this is the first time that it resulted in a murder, or she decided to just do some irresponsible poo poo for funsies one day and it resulted in a murder.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Likely a colt clone, single action army, fancied up. They wouldn't use actual old revolvers for this and there are plenty of cheaper clones out there.

Mechanically they're dead simple. He would have had to pull the trigger to fire it. Single action also means manually cocking the hammer for every shot. Pulling the trigger with the hammer forward does nothing, because there's nothing to release.

And modern reproductions/replicas will have different internal guts from the originals, with modern safety features like a transfer bar.

Basically on vintage revolvers the hammer directly strikes the firing pin. On newer ones the firing pin is instead recessed and can't be directly struck by the hammer, when the trigger is pulled a small bar moves up to bridge the gap and allow force to be transferred to the pin.

And by "modern" this is a feature from like the late 1800s/early 1900s.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcN4fwml2fY

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

using a gun meant to be a prop in a scene you're actively working on to get some range time in between takes is absolutely some bush league poo poo i would expect from a scab. the surprising part is that she managed to be the head armorer on a previous project. so either she does this all the time, and this is the first time that it resulted in a murder, or she decided to just do some irresponsible poo poo for funsies one day and it resulted in a murder.

As far as I understand she was the only armorer and this was her second job. Her dad was a veteran armorer and probably helped her land those jobs despite her obviously not being up for the task.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Yeah this sounds like nepotism and someone doing a child's idea of what the job is instead of what the actual job is.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

punishedkissinger posted:

do they modernize those so the hammer cant accidentally hit primer like they used to though?

Kruger gave a better explanation than I could.

My cheap revolver still has the pin in the hammer. The pin just can't get to the primer without the trigger fully depressed. It's a Taurus clone so I probably shouldn't put too much faith in the safeties anyhow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fn6GFSwTEw

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Zudgemud posted:

As far as I understand she was the only armorer and this was her second job. Her dad was a veteran armorer and probably helped her land those jobs despite her obviously not being up for the task.

On the other hand (and even with the previous NDs) if she'd left with the other strikers it's easy to see the remaining production crew going "how hard could it be? hey any of you scabs know how to shoot? you're the armorer now."

quote:

Late Friday, the Associated Press reported that Baldwin was handed a loaded weapon by an assistant director who indicated it was safe to use in the moments before the actor fired it, according to court records. The assistant director did not know the prop gun was loaded with live rounds, according to a search warrant filed in a Santa Fe County court.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

If that's true, that's got to be grounds for a manslaughter or negligent homicide charge, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Jabor posted:

Yeah this sounds like nepotism and someone doing a child's idea of what the job is instead of what the actual job is.

My friend, let me tell you a tale of the film industry...