Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

limp_cheese posted:

Mullets are definitely coming back as a style. My sister's husband started growing one to mimic Aaron Rodgers, which means he isn't he only one. Its loving baffling but here we are.

Thinkpieces about tiktok teens have informed me that they're called 'wolf cuts' now and for the full experience you have to film yourself putting your hair into a ponytail so high it's almost at your forehead and then cutting it off. Ideally what you end up with is sort of a shaggy thing with bangs but I know what a mullet looks like and will not be fooled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

teen witch posted:

you can only talk about the nerd on nerd violence post if you post your favorite smash stage and it CANNOT BE FINAL DESTINATION

Smashville, Hazards On

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Scaevolus posted:

Maybe it's my academic/scientific background where even uncited self-plagiarism is a Big Deal, but the idea of copying someone else's work, rewording it a bit, and labeling it as your own is incredibly lovely. It's a career ending mistake.

That the point of the plagiarism is to make fun of the author makes it even worse.

The interpersonal drama is harder to judge at a remove.

It's not 'work', tho. Like yeah people would be pretty unanimously against her if she'd copied one of Dawn's stories but mining the poo poo people around you say and do for material is a pretty basic part of a writer's job description. Dialogue in fiction basically wouldn't exist (definitely not anything good) if writers were forbidden from riffing on stuff people actually said

Verbatim copy-pasting someone's letter to take a big poo poo on them is definitely some high school bullying poo poo but Dawn's position that well maybe she might wanna turn that letter into a novel someday therefore it's the same thing as Sonya plagiarizing her novel is tenuous bordering on unhinged

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

pentyne posted:

Calling yourself a hardcore Christian then playing a game with magic and demons is very much the "pick and choose" style of what religious rules you want to follow.

The Messianic Jews that I have met have had no objection to D&D or magic cards or belief in sorcery, and it really sounds that that’s what we are dealing with. Also Protestants have a schism every time they can’t agree on what’s for dinner so your idea that extreme Protestants all have the same rules as beliefs is pretty unfounded.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

OnlyBans posted:

I knew Sonya. Not well, but we traveled in similar circles. I don't see those reframes as making Sonya look bad. She's just a person who had a super annoying and clingy co-worker that she would make fun of. Clingy annoying and clingy co-workers suck rear end and I absolutely poo poo talk annoying people with other people who know them. Especially when they are at their most annoying/clingy and grandiose.
Dawn asked Sonya if she wanted to leave the Facebook group. Sonya chose to stick around so she could mock. There was a perfect opportunity to :sever:.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I have never met any Christians who give even one singular poo poo about the Tetragrammaton being typed or read out or whatever, and I've met some absolutely batshit ones.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol isn't that explicitly a jewish observance

because there's an absolute dearth of supernatural experiences in american culture a lot of the more hardline types have begun appropriating elements of judaism, trying to wring some novelty out of their dead-end spiritual lives.

the "spiritual warfare" crowd is so weird i absolutely believe we'll start seeing the christian media sphere start attempting to re-normalize Goetic rituals. mass exorcisms with hollywood witchspolitation aesthetics, I absolutely believe this.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I thought God had nine billion names.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

I don't understand what religious dnd guy's problem even is. He explicitly says that he doesn't care about other's using god's name in vain, as long as he is free not to, and 'I need to refer to god but can't speak his name' is a problem that was solved centuries ago. He didn't need to try to dictate Ted's choices at all, he could have just said 'that's cool, but I choose not to say that name, so I'll be calling your character [whatever]'. Instead, OP decided to be petty and ruin the session by constantly breaking character.

This did not need to be a big deal, which makes me suspect OP is not nearly as chill about his religion as he's trying to claim he is.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

because there's an absolute dearth of supernatural experiences in american culture a lot of the more hardline types have begun appropriating elements of judaism, trying to wring some novelty out of their dead-end spiritual lives.

That's been the status of Kabbalah at least since the 90s so yeah.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

i don't live there anymore so i don't know what it's like now, but a lot of southern baptists i've met were weirdly into messianic judaism. my mother-in-law has been on like two trips to israel with her church. they do them yearly, and it's a very standard and typical southern baptist church.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im telling you the future is exploiting Tengrism for iconography.

Tenrism on the other hand is exploit free since its founded by a woman and promotes joy

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

the "spiritual warfare" crowd is so weird i absolutely believe we'll start seeing the christian media sphere start attempting to re-normalize Goetic rituals. mass exorcisms with hollywood witchspolitation aesthetics, I absolutely believe this.

Why can't they pick up the bitchin' parts where rabbis have world ending super powers and one rabbi got sad about something and telepathically wiped out a bunch of crops or some poo poo?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

Why can't they pick up the bitchin' parts where rabbis have world ending super powers and one rabbi got sad about something and telepathically wiped out a bunch of crops or some poo poo?

The Talmudic golem was "this one Rabbi is so cool he has an invisible friend who kills his enemies."

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

because there's an absolute dearth of supernatural experiences in american culture

As opposed to everywhere else where they're constantly running into werewolves and draculas?

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
Collaborative play games are supposed to be a place of trust and mutual fun. If someone sincerely asked me to change something about my character because they weren't having fun due to it, the ONLY MORALLY CORRECT MOVE YOU R/ATHEIST DINGBATS is to change it because you're trying to have fun among your friends, not prove that the silly godbotherers are irrational.

You dumb fuckers.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Gnossiennes posted:

i don't live there anymore so i don't know what it's like now, but a lot of southern baptists i've met were weirdly into messianic judaism. my mother-in-law has been on like two trips to israel with her church. they do them yearly, and it's a very standard and typical southern baptist church.

It makes sense. They are both weirdly obsessed with the Old Testament poo poo. Probably because they really wish to see some man on man and man on sheep action.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

OPAONI posted:

Collaborative play games are supposed to be a place of trust and mutual fun. If someone sincerely asked me to change something about my character because they weren't having fun due to it, the ONLY MORALLY CORRECT MOVE YOU R/ATHEIST DINGBATS is to change it because you're trying to have fun among your friends, not prove that the silly godbothers are irrational.

You dumb fuckers.

But then how do I win?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

OPAONI posted:

Collaborative play games are supposed to be a place of trust and mutual fun. If someone sincerely asked me to change something about my character because they weren't having fun due to it, the ONLY MORALLY CORRECT MOVE YOU R/ATHEIST DINGBATS is to change it because you're trying to have fun among your friends, not prove that the silly godbotherers are irrational.

You dumb fuckers.

Yeah, the guy is doing it just to offend his religious sensibilities. It’s a dick move. I question how much these friends really like him or think of him as a friend.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I'm just glad there's still pockets of nerddm so innocent of Online bullshit they can spontaneously reenact 2003-era edgelord atheism

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I'm just glad there's still pockets of nerddm so innocent of Online bullshit they can spontaneously reenact 2003-era edgelord atheism

This is a Web 2.0 forum.

I hope everyone in the comments finds Yahweh.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Yeah I'm guessing they don't actually like him and they're trying to get him to leave, but he won't take the hint/they're too cowardly to tell him to gently caress off.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

therobit posted:

This is a Web 2.0 forum.

I hope everyone in the comments finds Yahweh.

My personal relationship with God means I get to call him Biggie Y

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Gnossiennes posted:

That's a bit different. Christian Zionism is into Israel because it ties into Revelations or something. Sees Jews as a means to an end (times).

Messianic Judaism is different. Whether it's former Jews who converted but still wanted to keep their Jewish identity (because a cultural/ethnic religion is weird like that and isn't entirely based on "what you believe") or it's Christians trying to target Jews for conversion with something more palatable, it's actually a part of the religion's beliefs and practices. It's not just a field trip to Israel. Depending on the person I find this can come across as misguided weird cosplay or downright appropriative.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Cythereal posted:

Got linked to the old thread in discord and thought this story was too good to leave buried.

My BF[28m] caused my[24f] parents to file for divorce

I love how her first thought was "my boyfriend ruined my parents' marriage" versus "I was too gutless to stand up to my mom & sister being shitheads to my boyfriend"

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

sephiRoth IRA posted:

My personal relationship with God means I get to call him Biggie Y

I’m OK with this but please refrain from calling our lord and savior “The Late, Great J. C.”

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Defiance Industries posted:

As opposed to everywhere else where they're constantly running into werewolves and draculas?

yes, exactly. i'm glad you understand.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Why am I picturing the dewfee guy as Andy Dwyer

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

HazCat posted:

This did not need to be a big deal, which makes me suspect OP is not nearly as chill about his religion as he's trying to claim he is.

This is exactly my position. Like, what other reason would someone have had to make that 'joke' in the first place? That's some Straw Atheist level poo poo, so if it really happened, they have most likely in the past proven themselves extremely annoying on the religious front. Doesn't make poking them there right or good, but I sincerely doubt they are as easy-going about it as they claim.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I went looking to see if there was ever an update hoping her boyfriend dumped her but no luck. I did find her only two replies though.

quote:

r/relationships5y
My BF[28m] caused my[24f] parents to file for divorce.
Well I have to side with my mom, she's family

r/relationships5y
My BF[28m] caused my[24f] parents to file for divorce.
Yeah, I know he's sensitive about the scar but he totally overreacted. I'm sad everyone is calling my mom names and not realizing how he betrayed me :(

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

OnlyBans posted:

She's just a person who had a super annoying and clingy co-worker that she would make fun of.

I dunno; she knew she had lifted Dorland's writing and only tried to take it back when she was going to get in trouble for it.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Verbatim copy-pasting someone's letter to take a big poo poo on them is definitely some high school bullying poo poo but Dawn's position that well maybe she might wanna turn that letter into a novel someday therefore it's the same thing as Sonya plagiarizing her novel is tenuous bordering on unhinged
She's the author of the letter and had a good (litigable) argument for being able to keep it out of another author's fictional usage of it. I don't think it needs the extra step of deriving another work from it.

If Larson had modified it from the get-go instead of keeping it because she thought it so perfectly characterized Dorland's stand-in, she would have never caught any heat.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

therobit posted:

I went looking to see if there was ever an update hoping her boyfriend dumped her but no luck. I did find her only two replies though.

I know I said this last time it came up but as someone with a bunch of facial scars she can go gently caress herself. That poo poo seriously fucks with your self esteem and self image so having someone discriminate against you because of your facial scars is extra hosed up.

Kids being scared I can understand even though it still hurts but adults don't have an excuse.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

after an employee died, her team has driven off anyone we hire to replace her

quote:

A year ago, someone I worked with (Jane) died. She was killed by an impaired driver while crossing the street after work. Some of her colleagues witnessed it. Jane worked here for almost a decade and was well-liked. (The company has an EAP and offered paid therapy services to anyone who needs it as well as fully paid bereavement and time off to attend the trial, no questions asked.) Jane was one of my reports (I manage her manager).

A month after Jane’s death, her replacement started. The replacement was an internal transfer who was offered the job after a job search was conducted inside the company. However, three months after starting the job, the replacement suddenly quit without notice. She emailed her resignation to HR at the end of the work day effective immediately. The job was then offered to the other person who had been looked at in the job search. He started a week after the first replacement left. Four months after he started, he also quit without any notice. After he left, no one in the company put in to transfer into the role, so the company did an outside job search. An outside person, new to the company, was hired a month after the second replacement quit. That was three months ago, and the outside hire just quit last week after giving only two days of notice.

After the outside hire quit, the HR manager and assistant HR manager asked to meet with me. They informed me the outside hire had said in her exit interview that she was leaving because she couldn’t handle working with Jane’s old coworkers and manager. She said she resumed job searching almost as soon as she started here because of how bad it was. She told them she had tried to address it with the manager (who managed Jane) but nothing changed. HR shared this with me because they had received similar complaints from the first two replacements for Jane’s job. In their resignation emails, both of them said they couldn’t handle it and the manager did nothing. The first replacement quit without having anything lined up. The second replacement took a job with a lower title than he had here.

What Jane’s replacements said they couldn’t handle was being constantly compared to Jane, being accused of hostility or coldness for arranging the desk differently than Jane had it, having things like “if Jane were here…” or “some of us still care about Jane” said aloud to them. According to the resignations and the exit interview, the manager participated and accused them of being awful for “disrespecting” the dead when they brought their concerns forward. The outside hire said she was excluded from everything and asked how she could sleep at night for taking Jane’s job.

Word got around the company so no one put in to transfer into Jane’s role and that is why an outside person had to be hired. After the outside hire left, upper management tried to get another person who already works here to transfer into the job so they didn’t have to go through the hiring process again. The person they picked wrote her resignation and was ready to quit before they told her she didn’t have to take it.

I work in a different building than Jane’s coworkers and manager and I had no idea any of this was happening until HR told me (I also don’t know why HR didn’t act on these complaints). No one came to me about it before this. Jane’s job often involves tight deadlines, and I thought the first two replacements left because they couldn’t handle the pressure. It turns out they always met the deadlines and had no performance issues.

I understand Jane’s death is upsetting and difficult for her coworkers, but what they are doing cannot continue. We can’t keep hiring people every few months. Since the three replacements and the person upper management wanted to bring in have all said the same things (especially given that the outside hire never met the other three), I do believe they are telling the truth about Jane’s coworkers and manager. I know I need to talk to the coworkers and manager about their behavior but given the emotion behind this I don’t even know where to start. I am way out of my depth with this.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Funktastic posted:

Sounds like Jane’s coworkers need a reorganization to the unemployment line.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Funktastic posted:

Tell the team that without Jane, there's clearly no reason for the team to even exist anymore, and is being disbanded. No severance pay. I don't recall saying 'good luck.'

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Funktastic posted:

Let them know that their toxic behavior is not going to be tolerated going forward. Fire the manager who participated to set an example to the rest of them.

Then fire yourself for not doing your due diligence after the first two people quit.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Funktastic posted:

How are you a manager then???

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Funktastic posted:

How does it not occur to this person to fire the lot of them?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Piell posted:

AITA for complaining to the manager about a rude cashier?

"Rude" here, of course, meaning not licking her boots.

gently caress people like this.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Funktastic posted:

Redistribute all of Jane's responsibilities to the rest of the team. Without added compensation. They'll change their tune about a replacement real quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Dazerbeams posted:

Redistribute all of Jane's responsibilities to the rest of the team. Without added compensation. They'll change their tune about a replacement real quick.

This right here is the answer. If they don't want anybody taking Jane's place then they can pick up Jane's work.