Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

christmas boots posted:

All true, but we also understand that motorcycles are fundamentally not weapons so we don't really need those descriptors. Like we understand that people aren't supposed to be hit by cars. Guns are typically used for killing things so "prop" is used as--admittedly misleading for the reasons you've noted--shorthand for "this gun wasn't supposed to work like that", immediately framing it as an accident in a way that "Alec Baldwin shoots two people with a gun" wouldn't so much.

You know a headline that also conveys that? "Alec Baldwin accidentally shoots two coworkers with gun, killing one."

If they're going to go with headlines that distorts the truth they should at least have fun with it. "Alec Baldwin gifts coworker a free helicopter ride and it knocked her dead."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Why was the prop gun loaded with live rounds? Who did that? Sounds like a murder mystery plot even though it’s probably is just breathtaking stupidity

It’s not a “prop” gun it’s a real gun. Headlines keep referring to it as a prop. Real guns are very common in movies but for the past 30 years or so everyone’s done a good job being safe with them

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

StrangersInTheNight posted:

i am willing to bet the folks complaining about CGI vs practical muzzle flashes can only tell the difference in egregious circumstances, and the majority of CGI muzzle flashes don't even register to you or in fact may even look more passable even if it's exaggerated bc movies aren't real life and people have certain expectations of how movie guns look that differ from reality, same as how how guns needs to make large BCHAOOWWW BANG BANG BLOOW noises to be considered 'real' guns in movies even tho we all knows guns IRL just make lil' pop-pop noises at best

real gunshots look and sounder underwhelming, at this point we're full-on in cartoon levels of exaggeration for these things in film and it's expected - hell, not only expected, audiences are upset if you don't push it and guns are portrayed realistically instead of indulging in the power fantasy.

Uhhhhh guns are pretty pretty dang loud buddy. Like it’s not a good idea to even shoot a 22 without ear protection, and I always double up on it if I’m shooting something bigger

I can’t tell if you’ve either never fired a gun, or you shoot so much that you’re just deaf now

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

if only he'd performed the proper safety check

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Ziv Zulander posted:

Uhhhhh guns are pretty pretty dang loud buddy. Like it’s not a good idea to even shoot a 22 without ear protection, and I always double up on it if I’m shooting something bigger

I can’t tell if you’ve either never fired a gun, or you shoot so much that you’re just deaf now

always remember your ears people

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Why was the prop gun loaded with live rounds? Who did that? Sounds like a murder mystery plot even though it’s probably is just breathtaking stupidity

Yeah, I don’t get why live rounds are even allowed to be in a 1 mile radius of the loving set.
do they go hunt pheasants on their lunch break? Why are these bullets there ?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Ziv Zulander posted:

What’s dumb in movies is how guns make a noise when people draw them.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE4-lCTPTtI

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

No that one’s accurate

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

mrfart posted:

Yeah, I don’t get why live rounds are even allowed to be in a 1 mile radius of the loving set.

that poo poo should never ever have a live round in it and should be kept disassembled until they are shooting it and then immediately disassembled when they are done

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

mrfart posted:

clearly they just hired a local gun nut. my question is was this particular gun so cool that he had to borrow it from work or is he too poor to afford his own guns

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

six people died making that scene

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_(1989_film)#Massacre

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Budzilla posted:

Michael Mann's commentary for that scene was really interesting in relation to the audio. It is still an amazing scene and it makes me greatful we now have large HD TVs to park our asses in front of.

The on-set sounds in Heat are so good compared to gunfights in other movies because they're able to record all the echoes off of the surrounding architecture, and it's mixed to be incredibly loud compared to everything else. I don't know what that one guy is on about, gunshots are loud as hell. They just sound more like a pop and crack rather than the explosion that most other films use, but you should still be able to feel it in your bones if you have a good sound system.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The answer to "why did all this dumb poo poo happen" is because the producer of the film was mad that the union crewmembers were demanding things like a safe environment and to be paid, so they sent all of the union members home and replaced them with local scabs who didn't care about safety regulations on short notice.

Coxswain Balls posted:

The on-set sounds in Heat are so good compared to gunfights in other movies because they're able to record all the echoes off of the surrounding architecture, and it's mixed to be incredibly loud compared to everything else. I don't know what that one guy is on about, gunshots are loud as hell. They just sound more like a pop and crack rather than the explosion that most other films use, but you should still be able to feel it in your bones if you have a good sound system.

A lot of people these days equate "cellphone video" with "real" and so they see a cellphone video of a shooting and they hear the cop's gun go "pip pip" and go "oh so THAT'S what gunshots sound like when it's not in the movies" without realizing that cellphones have shitawful mics

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 23, 2021

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
ABC, Always Blast the Cameraperson

ALWAYS. Blast the cameraperson.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

mrfart posted:

Live doesn’t mean “real bullet” it means “will explode.” Blanks are live

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

You know what isn’t live?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh boy SNL is gonna be awkward next week I'm gonna tell ya

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

Oh boy SNL is gonna be awkward next week I'm gonna tell ya

He's going to come out dressed as Trump and say "I told you I could shoot someone"

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

Actually, it is really cool.

The wooshing noises whenever Preston aims a gun are the best part of Equilibrium.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I like how in movies swords always make sounds. Like they’re always vibrating.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

quote:

Despite the film's box office – over $400 million against a budget of no more than $48 million – Warner Bros. claimed it ended up losing $35.8 million and "not likely to ever show a profit," which has been attributed to a case of Hollywood accounting.[84]

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Paramount tried to claim Forest Gump lost money and the writer of the novel's sequel told them to go gently caress themselves when they wanted to start filming a sequel.

Hollywood is pure scum.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Gutcruncher posted:

It’s not a “prop” gun it’s a real gun. Headlines keep referring to it as a prop. Real guns are very common in movies but for the past 30 years or so everyone’s done a good job being safe with them

It’s a prop gun because it’s used as a prop whether it’s real or plastic is irrelevant. As a theatre kid I know that rule one of props is they aren’t toys and you don’t touch a prop that isn’t yours and before you need it even it’s a loving plastic orange instead of a gun. An underfunded Kentucky high school has better prop rules than a major Hollywood production apparently

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Coxswain Balls posted:

Nah, Heat owns because all the sound from the big setpiece scene was the audio from the shoot, which they decided not to record over in post because it sounded awesome as hell as is while also looking kickass. It woulda sucked if it was done with CGI.

The shootout at the end of Miami Vice was interesting too, there's a few instances where they were shooting live ammo at stuff and then CGing in the people getting blasted/blood.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

If you want live ammo, watch Come and See, where they're firing live rounds over some poor 13 year olds head while he ducks in a trench and they're blowing up trees with real artillery and poo poo.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Caesar Saladin posted:

If you want live ammo, watch Come and See, where they're firing live rounds over some poor 13 year olds head while he ducks in a trench and they're blowing up trees with real artillery and poo poo.

Don't watch it if you want to sleep within the next week though.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Caesar Saladin posted:

You left out that they machine gunned a cow for that film.

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals

Hannibal Rex posted:

You left out that they machine gunned a cow for that film.

Was it a prop cow, a real cow or a live cow?

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Not all props are guns but all guns are props

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Chris Pistols posted:

Was it a prop cow, a real cow or a live cow?

It was a cinemootographer

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 minutes!
:rolleyes:

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Lol.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

Don't watch it if you want to sleep within the next week though.
You can watch the whole thing on youtube for free, since it was made in the Soviet Union and something something copyrights don't apply. It is not the Criteron Bluray version. I was talking about movies with a workmate and he said he saw Apocalypse Now recently and how harrowing it was. Then I suggested he give this movie a go and I loaned him my Bluray copy. He was taken back how much 'worse' it was compared to Apocalypse Now. That kid ages 40 years in that movie.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

I read for the first time from this article that they originally planned to finish the movie with the Joker killing Vicki Vale (portrayed by Alec Baldwin's former wife Kim Basinger) sending Batman into some kind of rage. Jesus, that would have been loving dark even for Burton

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

quote:

The gun was one of three that the film’s armorer, Hannah Gutierrez, had set on a cart outside the building where a scene was being acted, according to the records. Halls grabbed the gun from the cart and brought it inside to Baldwin, unaware that it was loaded with live rounds, a detective wrote in the search warrant application.

It was unclear how many rounds were fired. Gutierrez removed a shell casing from the gun after the shooting, and she turned the weapon over to police when they arrived, the court records say.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/entertainment/national/story/2021-10-22/baldwin-was-told-gun-was-cold-before-movie-set-shooting

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Lolie posted:

We do know that there had been problems with the gun, which invites the question of why it wasn't replaced.

I don't think there was anything mechanically wrong with the gun. The problem was with the people handling it.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Lolie posted:

The gun was one of three that the film’s armorer, Hannah Gutierrez, had set on a cart outside the building where a scene was being acted, according to the records.

And they wonder why they only make 80 cents to the dollar that men do. :allears:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
This wouldn't have happened if the entire crew had guns.