Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So when do we least get all the gun cases to go along with all the other nightmare ones? I mean they’re not gonna help make the world a better place or something, but hey at least if we can all get machine guns again, there will be some upside. :v:

Kidding aside it just seems like it’s mostly been all abortion all time. Also the idea of NY/NJ/CA having their gun laws change to the default for say PA or Vermont. I think Republicans would probably get off more of the idea of being able to open carry AR‘s in New York than anything with abortions in terms of “owning the Libs.”

Doesn’t some state wanna try legalizing new machine gun production solely within its borders, again? lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Missouri tried passing a law saying federal gun laws were null in the state a few months ago because lol Missouri.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Missouri tried passing a law saying federal gun laws were null in the state a few months ago because lol Missouri.

Yeah I’ve heard a couple of those “firearm sanctuary” things, but these were even before that and basically were trying to say the NFA doesn’t apply if it’s all done within state borders.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Man, went out for some food and the cops had the busiest road closed and i saw hundreds of neon coloured flags forming a line probably 50m long from a turn and i had figured a pipe burst or something. So when i was in the drive through, i went to the local news site and then what those hundreds of little flags were made sense.

https://www.quintenews.com/2021/10/22/273078/

quote:

Motorists are asked to avoid Dundas Street West near downtown Trenton this Friday afternoon following a serious accident.
Quinte West Fire Chief John Whelan tells Quinte News that a woman on an electric scooter was struck by a dump truck around 1 p.m. in the area of Lange and Fetter Ford.
She was trapped under the vehicle and had to be extricated.
Twitter reports indicate the victim is being taken to Kingston General Hospital with undetermined injuries.
The street is closed to traffic indefinitely.

I made the mistake of looking over on the way back and saw the still pinned scooter.

:smith:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

MazelTovCocktail posted:

But hey at least if we can all get machine guns again, there will be some upside. :v:

Even if this DID happen, it'd likely be preceded by an astonishingly high hike in the cost of the tax stamp as a gating method.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So when do we least get all the gun cases to go along with all the other nightmare ones? I mean they’re not gonna help make the world a better place or something, but hey at least if we can all get machine guns again, there will be some upside. :v:

November 3rd is New York State Rifle & Pistol Association Inc. v. Bruen on concealed carry in NY state, that's all the Supreme Court has currently agreed to hear on guns this term so far. The SC turned away a case about a felon complaining he couldn't have guns and got charged for having one (Wisconsin law) and a pile of others. No more have been docketed, even when Kavanaugh was yelling at the other justices about it, presumably about the constitutional right to shoot guns while drinking beer.

I'm not sure I particularly want NY State / NYC to suddenly have concealed carry shall-issue status. They should stick to assaulting each other with their middle fingers and superior bagels.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

My Spirit Otter posted:

Man, went out for some food and the cops had the busiest road closed and i saw hundreds of neon coloured flags forming a line probably 50m long from a turn and i had figured a pipe burst or something. So when i was in the drive through, i went to the local news site and then what those hundreds of little flags were made sense.

https://www.quintenews.com/2021/10/22/273078/

I made the mistake of looking over on the way back and saw the still pinned scooter.

:smith:

Last night, I was walking home with Apollo from hanging out with friends and crossing a quiet residential street in the crosswalk when two cars- one a cab- decided they didn't want to wait for someone to finish dropping their friend off so they swerved around and ran a stop sign, coming so close to hitting us that I was actually able to kick the side of the first car as it went by. Then I jumped back and yanked on Apollo's leash to avoid the cab, and the driver actually yelled "gently caress you cracker" at me as he went by. Putting aside the ridiculousness of someone using that term as an insult in TYOOL 2021, I've never been so loving angry in my life. If either driver had responded to me screaming "PULL OVER MOTHER FUCKER" I'm absolutely positive that I would have attacked them with anything I could have grabbed as a weapon, consequences be damned. I've never come so close to being killed by a car, and the callousness in how they did it was absolutely horrifying. I woke up angry this morning, which is a feeling that I hate. I hope that the next time either of those drivers gets behind the wheel, their trip ends in a single-car fireball at the end of a bridge abutment.

It seems like there's been a real uptick in aggressive and reckless driving since the pandemic. I dunno if it's people still thinking that the roads are empty so they can do what they want or people just internalizing "lol nothing matters" or whatever, but pedestrian/cyclist deaths are up this year in my city, and it's just pretty awful in general. Not saying that's what happened in the tragic scooter case you're posting about, but man, I loving hate a lot of drivers a lot of the time.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Ya, man, i feel you on that. Theres one pedestrian controlled traffic light near me that has warning signs well in advance to prepare to stop, yet ive almost been hit twice at it from people running the redlight in the last month alone. I did the arms outstretch what the gently caress gesture to them both and one lady had the gall to give me a flippant handwave. All that to say i agree 100% people have gotten more aggressive on the road.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1451659628626862083?t=2FImWrr9SfENFDdMuA4h2Q&s=19

On a personal level I don't know what criminal liability Baldwin faces here if any. At a corporate level him and everyone else involved in production should get destroyed.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Baldwin is a producer, which means he was working on the money side of things too. His hands aren't clean.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Chances are his "work" was to give money, promise labor, and urge his contacts to work on it to help convince others commit to the project then get the hell out of the way, but maybe he's one of those Tom Hanksy guys who is actually doing poo poo.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I worked as an extra on a big TV show last month after a local company hired about 30 current and former Canadian military personnel to play American National Guard. The gun guys working on set were all either current reservists or retired regular force themselves they were all extremely conscious of firearms safety.

Having been on that set I have no idea how this production could have hosed up so badly.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The Pinkerton's send their regards.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
If people didn't get shot on 3 John Wick movies then how bad of a gently caress up do you have to be that someone's now dead.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Generation Internet posted:

Having been on that set I have no idea how this production could have hosed up so badly.

From what I'm seeing, it was an extremely low-budget film with a lot of corners being cut for time/money. Plus, it was day 11 of a 24-day shoot where people were working 15-hour days, then driving 50 miles home and back (and thus the walkout). So take a lot of beaten-down, low (or zero)-paid people, in an understaffed production, with a walk-off in progress, and a shitload of pissed-off people. Pretty good environment for a series of cascading fuckups to lead to an on-set accident.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
The walk-off being partly about concerns over gun safety is a bit of a red flag

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Allegedly the propmaster shot himself in the foot the day before and that's part of what triggered the walk-off.
https://twitter.com/vidiot_/status/1451638994698178565

And they'd had other incidents before that:
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2021-10-22/alec-baldwin-rust-camera-crew-walked-off-set

quote:

Three crew members who were present at the Bonanza Creek Ranch set that day said they were particularly concerned about two accidental prop gun discharges on Saturday.

Baldwin’s stunt-double accidentally fired two rounds Saturday after being told that the gun was “cold” — lingo for a weapon that doesn’t have any ammunition, including blanks, one of crew members who witnessed the episode told the Los Angeles Times.

“There should have been an investigation into what happened,” said the crew member. “There were no safety meetings. There was no assurance that it wouldn’t happen again. All they wanted to do was rush, rush, rush.”

A colleague was so alarmed by the prop gun misfires he sent a text message to the unit production manager. “We’ve now had 3 accidental discharges. This is super unsafe,” according to a copy of the message reviewed by the Times.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

shame on an IGA posted:

so IATSE is definitely going on strike now right?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Talk about what a complete cluster gently caress for a movie maybe five people would probably watch it on Amazon prime or some random Pluto TV channel.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Nah, more like Tubi.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Nah, more like Tubi.

I wanted to say that but my friend keeps finding really cool stuff movies on it.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

C.M. Kruger posted:

Allegedly the propmaster shot himself in the foot the day before and that's part of what triggered the walk-off.
https://twitter.com/vidiot_/status/1451638994698178565

And they'd had other incidents before that:
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2021-10-22/alec-baldwin-rust-camera-crew-walked-off-set

:stare:

That is so hosed up. I didn't realize how big budget the set I worked on was apparently.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I wanted to say that but my friend keeps finding really cool stuff movies on it.

I've found a few movies I like on it but it's literally needle in a haystack or a diamond in a septic tank thing with tubi.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

MazelTovCocktail posted:

oh poo poo yeah the also ran streaming services occasionally do have a diamond in the rough, like one day years ago I was on IDK Crackle or some poo poo and stumbled across Enemies Of The People and it is the most absolute gutpunch of a film I have ever seen, makes Come And See look like an episode of Barney the Dinosaur.

so this dude Tet Sambath, his entire family got merc'd in the killing fields when he was 4 goes into the jungles of cambodia in the late 200x's and interviews khmer rouge peeps, they share their damage, and eventually gets in tight with Pol Pot's second in command and gets literally days of interviews on film with him before dropping a truth bomb and diming him out. The only comparison I have, the only film that is even remotely similar at least that I have seen is Herzog's Little Dieter Needs To Fly. Both are highly reccommended.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 23, 2021

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I've found a few movies I like on it but it's literally needle in a haystack or a diamond in a septic tank thing with tubi.
True, but I guess one thing in its favor is it’s sourcing from everywhere vs like crackle, which is the dying remains of some Sony execs dumbass idea.

shame on an IGA posted:

oh poo poo yeah the also ran streaming services occasionally do have a diamond in the rough, like one day years ago I was on IDK Crackle or some poo poo and stumbled across Enemies Of The People and it is the most absolute gutpunch of a film I have ever seen, makes Come And See look like an episode of Barney the Dinosaur.

so this dude who's entire family got murked in the killing fields when he was 4 goes into the jungles of cambodia in the late 200x's and interviews khmer rouge peeps, they share their damage, and eventually gets in tight with Pol Pot's second in command and gets literally days of interviews on film with him before dropping a truth bomb and diming him out. The only comparison I have, the only film that is even remotely similar at least that I have seen is Herzog's Little Dieter Needs To Fly. Both are highly reccommended.

If you want a “Pleasant” follow up Act of Killing is on tubi….it’s profoundly dark and disturbing…cause it’s all being recreated by the original Indonesian perpetrators for the director.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

MazelTovCocktail posted:

True, but I guess one thing in its favor is it’s sourcing from everywhere vs like crackle, which is the dying remains of some Sony execs dumbass idea.

Tubi's strength is its' variety, admittedly. I've found some good stuff on there, but I've spent lots of time just scrolling aimlessly through Lifetime quality crap I'll never watch.

I still use tubi, just not as frequently as almost any other streaming service.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/DanLamothe/status/1451720054467403788?s=20

I was told that GWOT was over and that the US military, like the police departments, were defunded and full of woke losers more concerned with tree hugging than bombing/locking up the homeless

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Did they get him or was it another car full of children?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Did they get him or was it another car full of children?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ahem the proper term is military age male.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

facialimpediment posted:

November 3rd is New York State Rifle & Pistol Association Inc. v. Bruen on concealed carry in NY state, that's all the Supreme Court has currently agreed to hear on guns this term so far. The SC turned away a case about a felon complaining he couldn't have guns and got charged for having one (Wisconsin law) and a pile of others. No more have been docketed, even when Kavanaugh was yelling at the other justices about it, presumably about the constitutional right to shoot guns while drinking beer.

I'm not sure I particularly want NY State / NYC to suddenly have concealed carry shall-issue status. They should stick to assaulting each other with their middle fingers and superior bagels.

NYC will still make it expensive and difficult, and most upstate counties that are may issue almost always give out unrestricted (CCW) permits. It's only the city and Long Island that are the big douchebags.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Last night, I was walking home with Apollo from hanging out with friends and crossing a quiet residential street in the crosswalk when two cars- one a cab- decided they didn't want to wait for someone to finish dropping their friend off so they swerved around and ran a stop sign, coming so close to hitting us that I was actually able to kick the side of the first car as it went by. Then I jumped back and yanked on Apollo's leash to avoid the cab, and the driver actually yelled "gently caress you cracker" at me as he went by. Putting aside the ridiculousness of someone using that term as an insult in TYOOL 2021, I've never been so loving angry in my life. If either driver had responded to me screaming "PULL OVER MOTHER FUCKER" I'm absolutely positive that I would have attacked them with anything I could have grabbed as a weapon, consequences be damned. I've never come so close to being killed by a car, and the callousness in how they did it was absolutely horrifying. I woke up angry this morning, which is a feeling that I hate. I hope that the next time either of those drivers gets behind the wheel, their trip ends in a single-car fireball at the end of a bridge abutment.

It seems like there's been a real uptick in aggressive and reckless driving since the pandemic. I dunno if it's people still thinking that the roads are empty so they can do what they want or people just internalizing "lol nothing matters" or whatever, but pedestrian/cyclist deaths are up this year in my city, and it's just pretty awful in general. Not saying that's what happened in the tragic scooter case you're posting about, but man, I loving hate a lot of drivers a lot of the time.
A large part of it has to do with the issue of cops pulling back and not being as proactive as they were. They do this because they are either ordered to become of Covid, or were ordered to for any reason, but also because they're butt hurt over people hating them now so they think "what's the point in being proactive if I'm just going to open myself up to lawsuits or jail." Also many cities have passed laws that explicitly state that cops can not pull people over for minor traffic violations. So it's a combination of all of that that leads to a huge decrease of traffic stops in some areas.

In some areas there are now explicit orders that cops cannot pursue a vehicle either at all, or unless it is a murder or rape suspect. So rear end in a top hat criminals just speed away and get away with driving like a lunatic, because the cities passed those laws.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The massive increases in people starting fights on airplanes, and anecdotally seeing in real life a former friend flip out for no reason and disown all her friends including her best friend of like 20 years, has got me thinking that either covid, pandemic isolation, or both is doing something to damage people in a way that increases anger.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Ok, so we need to make it very hard and also not necessary for people to need or think they need guns or cars. Easy. We did it for millenia without them, we can figure out how to do it again.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Best Friends posted:

The massive increases in people starting fights on airplanes, and anecdotally seeing in real life a former friend flip out for no reason and disown all her friends including her best friend of like 20 years, has got me thinking that either covid, pandemic isolation, or both is doing something to damage people in a way that increases anger.

My entirely unscientific and uninformed opinion is that this isn't the effect of COVID or isolation (alone). It's just what you end up with when the entire media empire learned that "outrage = attention", and when so much of it is country-wide, so everyone you know over facebook or whatever is just as angry as you are about the same things

we've been pouring gasoline on the fire for years

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Another profoundly hosed up but gripping movie is "Beasts of no nation" a+

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Bored As gently caress posted:

In some areas there are now explicit orders that cops cannot pursue a vehicle either at all, or unless it is a murder or rape suspect. So rear end in a top hat criminals just speed away and get away with driving like a lunatic, because the cities passed those laws.

You somehow got this entirely backwards - police pursuits result in reckless driving and people getting unnecessarily hurt. Unless someone is in imminent danger it's almost always safer all around to back off and deal with the suspect in a way that doesn't involve barely controlling multi-ton pieces of metal around a bunch of bystanders.

Bored As gently caress posted:

NYC will still make it expensive and difficult, and most upstate counties that are may issue almost always give out unrestricted (CCW) permits. It's only the city and Long Island that are the big douchebags.

The douchebags are the people that don't want a bunch of cowboys carrying guns in public in a dense urban area?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The douchebags are the people that don't want a bunch of cowboys carrying guns in public in a dense urban area?

The douchebags are the people in New York City and Long Island restricting gun ownership statewide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Worth hitting up incognito mode to read this article - might buy the book on the 26th to read while working the election.

https://twitter.com/scottlincicome/status/1451905579434262528?t=bNx9B3DXTxIyN4EAf3P7Dw&s=19