Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Unfortunately this can end up like the Arkham games where you spend 90% of the game in Detective Vision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Unfortunately this can end up like the Arkham games where you spend 90% of the game in Detective Vision.

"In order to see anything relevant to gameplay, you must push a button that turns off the multi-million dollar AAA graphics and makes the game extremely ugly" is a very baffling and yet common design decision.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

yeah that's the potential problem with it. Witcher 3 is another bad one. I think 2 ways to deal with that is that you can just send out a quick pulse that highlights interactive stuff in the area for a few seconds, I just replayed Dying light and it does this and I think it works pretty well. You can also make the super vision mode clunky to actually play in via slow movement or no combat, so players only use it when needed. otherwise you just end up with people playing the whole game in some hideous looking filter.

Triarii posted:

I really like Control's solution to this. It overlays a small white dot over any interactable object nearby, with a little eye-catching animation when it appears so you don't miss it. Making it a UI overlay makes it both easier to spot and less disruptive to the scene's actual visuals.

Yeah it's also really similar to the last of us. it's a good approach.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Or they could have better visual design and use contrasting colors combined with reducing uneeded clutter so they don't have to pull ugly tricks like that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

Or they could have better visual design and use contrasting colors combined with reducing uneeded clutter so they don't have to pull ugly tricks like that.

Oh man, it's too bad none of these developers hired you to be an ideas guy for their games. The solution was so simple all along.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
if i was game developers i would simply not add multi-million-dollar AAA graphics to my game

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Even if you have absolutely glaring color palette choices a la Cruelty Squad Im not gonna find whatever the thing I need to find in your immersive sim is unless you have a highlighter that says "hey this is the important thing". Not having a feature like that just means I'm not finishing your game because either Im going to get bored not finding it or Im going to watch a walkthrough showing me where it is and lose steam.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There is generally a big problem when it seems like the people making the environment/level design and gameplay are completely different from and not communicating with the people who make the graphics.

Same as when publishers push for features for literal bullet points on the box (does anyone even read those anymore) that take tens of thousands of dollars and tons of work to make and which don't actually add anything to the game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Apparently a contingent of people scan games and spam buy them when they see the key term NFT so yes

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Barudak posted:

Even if you have absolutely glaring color palette choices a la Cruelty Squad Im not gonna find whatever the thing I need to find in your immersive sim is unless you have a highlighter that says "hey this is the important thing". Not having a feature like that just means I'm not finishing your game because either Im going to get bored not finding it or Im going to watch a walkthrough showing me where it is and lose steam.

Yeah I was really feeling this playing Deathloop. It was pretty stressful and unpleasant poring over every polygon of the "important-looking" rooms to make sure I didn't miss some lore note (and I'm sure I still missed a couple).

I honestly think that games would be in a better place if people had for some reason decided that late-PS2/early-PS3 level graphics were absolutely everything we needed in terms of detail. Like, playing Outer Wilds, it was a feast for the eyes in plenty of areas despite the relative low graphical fidelity, and I never found myself thinking "man this game could really use way more higher-poly models and tons of graphical clutter all over the place".

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

sebmojo posted:

I wanted to play the extremely underrated Syndicate fps but its just hosed these days and has an unfixed bug that means it crashes instantly :cry:

I'm glad I got to play it when it came out because it was p. dece, I hear it's never going to execute code on a computer again these days and that makes me sad

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah it was a really solid fps and it did the amoral cyberpunk milieu as well as anything.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

sebmojo posted:

Yeah it was a really solid fps and it did the amoral cyberpunk milieu as well as anything.

I keep coming back to crysis but it really is a good take on cyberpunk transhuman armor as a protagonist and all 3 are really fun

plus they look like they just came out, play like games that don't get made anymore, and have like 30 hours of campaign for $50 lol fine I will buy your games again

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

John Murdoch posted:

Actual CoD-related hot take: CoD 2 sucks and literally everything it tries to do is clumsy and worse than either its predecessor or its direct successor, MW1.

what was wrong with cod2? I haven't played it years, but apart from one mission on an airfield, I don't remember it being particularly bad. On the other hand, I've played the expansion for cod1, and that's got some real bad issues with 'doing the awful bit of cod (no health rail shooters/running sequences)' instead of the cool stuff.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Having stuff being highlighted for you can be fine, if you're playing as a space marine with a helmet HUD or similar. Having it with just regular eyes is dumb and immersion breaking.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
How cluttered does the game world have to be to become a feature or gameplay mechanic? Try and figure out which button is real while taking down Elites in the newest raid!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

More ridiculous when they put shittons of effort and budget into environmental design that ends up looking utterly generic and completely ignored by players so they might as well have saved time and budget by using off-the-shelf assets.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Poil posted:

Having stuff being highlighted for you can be fine, if you're playing as a space marine with a helmet HUD or similar. Having it with just regular eyes is dumb and immersion breaking.

Immersion isn't a thing, I know I'm playing a game, the only thing that matters is whether i'm having fun, I could care less about the internal logic of the hud

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Just a few posts up we have people lamenting having to use detective vision at all times instead of being able to enjoy the pretty gfx. Can't please everybody!

It's not an easy problem, but fortunately not one I run into a lot as I have a potato computer so dialing poo poo up to the max hasn't been an option for over a decade. Photorealism isn't a terrible goal to work towards, but nobody wants to sort though someone else's messy desk looking for a thing instead of just highlighting the whole thing and pressing X.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
civilization is better when you switch the graphics to the 2d board game looking mode

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

A friend of mine did a detective vision only run, saying that's how batman would do it

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
The best part about Arkham Asylum is how you’re this badass detective with gadgets and skills - yet needed a dedicated animation to open doors.

Always made me laugh.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I loved how the solution to playing the game in detective vision was to make it so in the sequel moving at all while in detective vision hosed the view up completely. The ol lets not fix it, just make it more annoying school of thought

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Zenostein posted:

what was wrong with cod2? I haven't played it years, but apart from one mission on an airfield, I don't remember it being particularly bad. On the other hand, I've played the expansion for cod1, and that's got some real bad issues with 'doing the awful bit of cod (no health rail shooters/running sequences)' instead of the cool stuff.

At the heart of it, it was the first one with regenerating health and it's clear they hadn't figured out how to design a game around that yet. And it reads like their first, clumsy solution was to turn the game into a cover shooter by throwing cover props all over the place...but then also realized if you can just hide behind cover all day you're functionally immortal. Cue making every single enemy capable of throwing a grenade at your exact position, and then also allow them all to do it simultaneously and repeatedly.

The guns also all feel wore than they did in CoD 1 and the scripted sequences are usually some combination of overly long, overtuned difficulty-wise, and/or sloppily designed. I think 2 might've been where they really started leaning into the infinite reinforcments shooting gallery stuff too, except the TTK is screwier compared to 1 or MW. Also some levels were just really bad, IMO.

CoD 1 + UO have their fair share of problems, but despite their lows and occasional difficulty spikes they had much higher highs for me. (I actually consider UO my favorite CoD game.) Meanwhile CoD 2 had me stewing in constant irritation punctuated by a few minor highlights.

Poil posted:

A fun counter-argument is that if Garret, a master thief, knows what's valuable and worth stealing then it's actually more immersion breaking to not have valuables stand out when I'm looking through his eyes, because that's the sort of thing he'd notice and prioritize.

Really the fundamental problem is that games regularly assign importance to random yet highly specific items, and then place them, y'know, wherever amongst all manner of objects that could just as easily be important but often aren't. And any given game totally changes the rules about what's an interactable object and what's not.

Makes me think of, say, Half-Life 2 where the early game is littered with doors that you can't ever go through but the natural impulse is to try each and every one. At least most of them have the weird Combine locking mechanism on them that eventually gets the point across that they're just set decoration, in contrast to the ones that don't and are progress.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 23, 2021

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

A fun counter-argument is that if Garret, a master thief, knows what's valuable and worth stealing then it's actually more immersion breaking to not have valuables stand out when I'm looking through his eyes, because that's the sort of thing he'd notice and prioritize.

Really the fundamental problem is that games regularly assign importance to random yet highly specific items, and then place them, y'know, wherever amongst all manner of objects that could just as easily be important but often aren't. And any given game totally changes the rules about what's an interactable object and what's not.

Makes me think of, say, Half-Life 2 where the early game is littered with doors that you can't ever go through but the natural impulse is to try each and every one. At least most of them have the weird Combine locking mechanism on them that eventually gets the point across that they're just set decoration, in contrast to the ones that don't and are progress.
Good point. But it needs to be done in a way that fits within the game. For example by making them shiny and glittery instead of a highlighted outline (I don't know if Thief does this or not).

Caesar Saladin posted:

Immersion isn't a thing, I know I'm playing a game, the only thing that matters is whether i'm having fun, I could care less about the internal logic of the hud
Fair enough, but I really like immersion and the less of it there is the more pain I experience in my rear nether regions.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The original Call of Duty was a great game, probably the stand-out of all the WW2 themed shooters

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

3D menu backgrounds are the worst thing to ever happen to games

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The original Call of Duty was a great game, probably the stand-out of all the WW2 themed shooters

The fact it included a Soviet campaign is insane ro think about. The Soviet campign is what got me interested in the Eastern front of WW2 which I may or may not have known about before the game. Its also why for a senior year paper I had to write I chose the Nazi siege of Stalingrad. In hindsight I should have been more broad with my topic. Its hard to find books on that in the library of a rural Indiana school where my graduating class was ~50.

The first few missions in Stalingrad were loving powerful even though they completely ripped off Enemy at the Gates. Running around with only 5 bullets and no gun just trying to survive was awesome. I died so many times which was probably the point.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

limp_cheese posted:

The fact it included a Soviet campaign is insane ro think about. The Soviet campign is what got me interested in the Eastern front of WW2 which I may or may not have known about before the game. Its also why for a senior year paper I had to write I chose the Nazi siege of Stalingrad. In hindsight I should have been more broad with my topic. Its hard to find books on that in the library of a rural Indiana school where my graduating class was ~50.

The first few missions in Stalingrad were loving powerful even though they completely ripped off Enemy at the Gates. Running around with only 5 bullets and no gun just trying to survive was awesome. I died so many times which was probably the point.

Waiting for the AAAA version of Come and See. Too many military shooters going "actually war is cool" and "go buy these cool guns in your local store". If you make a military first-person shooter about an historical conflict, or around a real world setting, I want it to leave players feeling mildly gross/upset at the very least.

Edit: The Line didn't go far enough

Edit: Coincidently, I just ran into this: https://gamerant.com/wolverine-spec-ops-the-line-writer-walt-williams/. It probably doesn't mean anything. It'll be another Arkham-like (probably).

itry fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 24, 2021

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

itry posted:

Waiting for the AAAA version of Come and See. Too many military shooters going "actually war is cool" and "go buy these cool guns in your local store". If you make a military first-person shooter about an historical conflict, or around a real world setting, I want it to leave players feeling mildly gross/upset at the very least.

Edit: The Line didn't go far enough

Edit: Coincidently, I just ran into this: https://gamerant.com/wolverine-spec-ops-the-line-writer-walt-williams/. It probably doesn't mean anything. It'll be another Arkham-like (probably).

I agree. CoD World at War is probably the closest we'll get. Rrznov in the Soviet campaign is so bloodthirsty it made me uncomfortable by the end. You watch Soviet troops execute prisoners and burn German crops. When Reznov ordered me to burn surrendering Germans alive I hesitated and shot them instead because it seemed more humane. I think it also shows the Germans cutting down civilians.

I know they only did that because its the Soviets, the bad guys in American culture, so its ok but at least it was something.

MW3 had a mission in a besieged city where you work with the resistence and a few games set in the future have scenes like that sometimes but its not exactly historical and its a one off thing.

I wish I could turn motion blur and depth of field off for World at War so I could play it again. I guess that's an opinion, let me turn off depth of field and motion blur so I don't get a headache and feel quesy playing your game. Give me more graphical options to toggle, not fewer.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
When playing a shooter with a game pad who else remaps jump to a shoulder button so you can jump and aim at the same time?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
When I played Halo 2 splitscreen with my cousin I would always bind melee to the left trigger so I could smack dudes without letting go of the right thumbstick.

Kids These Days can't experience that anymore with all these god damned new-fangled "aim down sights" mechanics

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Playing a shooter... with a gamepad? What do you mean? :confused:

limp_cheese posted:

I wish I could turn motion blur and depth of field off for World at War so I could play it again. I guess that's an opinion, let me turn off depth of field and motion blur so I don't get a headache and feel quesy playing your game. Give me more graphical options to toggle, not fewer.

Motion Blur and DoF are terrible and are only good for screenshots :hai:

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

When I played Halo 2 splitscreen with my cousin I would always bind melee to the left trigger so I could smack dudes without letting go of the right thumbstick.

Kids These Days can't experience that anymore with all these god damned new-fangled "aim down sights" mechanics

The Greenthumb control option let you melee by clicking the thunderstick in and is the default in the new Halo.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

limp_cheese posted:

I know they only did that because its the Soviets, the bad guys in American culture, so its ok but at least it was something.

Always funny when you hear some people saying “bad side did war crimes which is why they’re bad” and then you read allies’ accounts and read “we did war crimes”

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Popoto posted:

Always funny when you hear some people saying “bad side did war crimes which is why they’re bad” and then you read allies’ accounts and read “we did war crimes”

WWII in particular. Crimes against humanity were the norm for everyone involved. Bombing industrial centers full of unarmed people? Strategic planning to reduce enemy morale and weapons manufacturing.

Deliberately setting people on fire and having them die so horrifically that we banned doing it anymore? Man what a great way to clear a bunker.

Penal squadrons getting death marched into minefields? Spares the men we care about!

It just goes on and on.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The games that make me most uncomfortable to play the bad guy is any game about Vietnam where you play as an American

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I still love that we engaged in chemical warfare with nasty rear end poo poo that killed a ton of our own people on top of causing long lasting indiscriminate murder on the Vietnamese people, but "it was an herbicide" so it's totally ok guys.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I still regularly play Battlefield 2 alone with bots. I don't like online gaming and there's not much single player shooters that look interesting these days.

BF2 is a nice way to get my shooty kicks even though it's mindless chaos because the bots are so stupid.

I also play a bit of Arma 3 but that's usually a case of "travel 20 minutes to the target area and die instantly from a single bullet of unknown origin" so it gets frustrating quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

lobsterminator posted:

I also play a bit of Arma 3 but that's usually a case of "travel 20 minutes to the target area and die instantly from a single bullet of unknown origin" so it gets frustrating quick.

It seems to be a popular structure because they made a whole genre out it