Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

DerekSmartymans posted:

I am a bit confused about something: Does subbing VIP allow you to make a gnome or elf or any other race that is normally only unavailable to F2P? I get a bit confused from the description and don’t want to spend money to unlock a <whatever> and find out it’s a free option later just for subbing. I’m not paying a WoW sub anymore and don’t mind subbing for a little while because I’m not in my twenties anymore and would rather just pay a bit to play a character like my favorite AD&D avatar from jr high if VIP doesn’t help with that.

Subbing does give you access to all of that goodness to an extent, some of them I believe still need to be unlocked via favor (its been like 7 years since I just caved and bought mine so I can't remember for sure) and the favor unlocks are far from difficult to hit.

DerekSmartymans posted:

Is soloing with a rogue too hard to be feasible? The web calls it “challenging” while a solo barbarian is “good.” I solo’d a rogue day 1 EQ before we had backstab or even stealth mechanics, but I enjoyed the challenge in EQ after I stuck with it and just want to be able to use my brain to solo equivalent-lvl mobs even if I have to learn patrol routes or stun tricks or whatever for 1v1 kills. In WoW at max level with good gear I could stealth into a pirate cove and pull 20+ pirates without dying or vanishing-to-lose-aggro, but it was a lot of fun using wits and cooldowns and skills/gadgets instead of just auto-attack, vanish, repeat. Is there a death penalty?

Lastly, is Vistani Knife Fighting a good thing to unlock for a dual-dagger rogue? I just don’t know the mechanics of it and I want my first character to be stealthy. Just reading tooltips, it seems assassin is the default for sneaky guys, even though I would love to try acrobat as well.

Rogue is a good class but it lacks in self healing in a bad way, with enough use magic device you can red heal scrolls to heal yourself but thats about it outside the store-bought potions or hirelings which don't cut the mustard after a bit. Barbarian used to be in this boat until they revamped barb a while back now in the correct enhancement tree those assholes get a ridiculous amount of self healing that is also not affected by the reaper mode self-heal debuff. Honestly play what you find fun, look on the forums and ask around there are a ton of builds available that will fill a lot of niches.

As for vistani it is a fantastic tree for anything dual dagger, I highly recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

DemonMage posted:

First try installing this explicitly if you didn't: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/confirmation.aspx?id=35
Next in the launcher at the top: hit the down arrow -> options -> try repair first and/or resetting display settings. Then I would try switching the game client. 64bit > 32 > 32 legacy.
You can also try switching via the in-game settings between DX9 and DX11, trying full-screen vs windowed as well.

The 32 bit client thing worked. Thank you a ton its appreciated.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Stonewalljack posted:

I thought the cheap expansions are available until 12/31?

Yea, they are afaik. I think its just night revels (the ingame event) thats ending soon

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
posting this out of context because sleepy and nowhere else to put it:

pentagon 'trap' thingy on the wrong circle tiles

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Max Peck posted:

posting this out of context because sleepy and nowhere else to put it:

pentagon 'trap' thingy on the wrong circle tiles

Oh so thats what you were seeing in ghost of a chance. Neat.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Perpetual Notion posted:

Subbing does give you access to all of that goodness to an extent, some of them I believe still need to be unlocked via favor (its been like 7 years since I just caved and bought mine so I can't remember for sure) and the favor unlocks are far from difficult to hit.

Rogue is a good class but it lacks in self healing in a bad way, with enough use magic device you can red heal scrolls to heal yourself but thats about it outside the store-bought potions or hirelings which don't cut the mustard after a bit. Barbarian used to be in this boat until they revamped barb a while back now in the correct enhancement tree those assholes get a ridiculous amount of self healing that is also not affected by the reaper mode self-heal debuff. Honestly play what you find fun, look on the forums and ask around there are a ton of builds available that will fill a lot of niches.

As for vistani it is a fantastic tree for anything dual dagger, I highly recommend it.

Appreciate the info! I was asking that question about soloing as a rogue mainly just because I love the class, I wasn’t worried if it was a tougher road, I just wanted to know if “challenging” meant “impossible to play without a group,” as it was in early EQ. I simply cannot always dedicate myself for a certain time commitment and really don’t want to sour other persons’ gametime by fighting halfway to a good spot only to have to get up and go downstairs for an hour because my 97y/o Granny needs help with a breathing treatment or something to eat on little to no warning! But if I’m level ten later and cannot isolate and sneak-attack a goblin two levels less than me like EQ was for months, I’d just roll a fighter or something. I have fun as a rogue with its skillset on a first (only) character mainly because I enjoy the exploration of a new ( to me) world and making friends. But I also don’t want to sour on a game if I get jumped at level 4 and killed by two level 1 malnourished wolves!

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

This game has a broad spectrum of difficulty but it gives you some agency by allowing you to select the difficulty for each quest. I've played mostly hardcore starting with hardcore season 1 but am picking up softcore again because my son is playing with me. He's playing a fighter and I'm playing a rogue and my plan will be to stack healer hirelings eventually.

The major consideration for solo is having some ability to get around traps because in general the only rogue hirelings are from the gold shop. Generally people will splash 2 levels of rogue (for evasion) or 2 levels of artificer (for rune arm) to trap, but in theory you could unlock disable device with just 1 level of rogue or artificer.

The canonical rogue trapper splash is used for a pale master wizard build, you build intelligence and use that to help defenses by taking the feat insightful reflexes (intelligence for your evasion skill checks). Pale masters get the ability to self heal via their death aura line (also does damage). In the end you have trapping ability, cc, ranged dps, and self-healing. They are on the squishy side so if something goes very wrong you will feel it.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
You can solo on any class and as a new player, rogue will probably be one of the best because you can spot and disable traps. Healing hirelings are good enough until you’re running high reapers in endgame. If they keep dying, just park them away from the fight then recall them to you to heal up, park again, etc. managing heal hirelings is a good skill to learn, especially once you start leveling in reaper difficulty which nerfs self healing.

Sure barb would be easier but they’re kind of an outlier and also super boring.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'm running an acrobat staff rogue with a barbarian splash for blood tribute and it's doing pretty well running elite with a hireling up to level 6 or so, will see how it continues to hold up. Reaper is too spicy for me but I can manage it if somone else in the group is good for it. And yeah like people are saying I'm pretty sure basically anything can solo normal at least until epic levels?

Is there a good breakdown of gear to pick up while leveling, especially saving for future lives?

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

I'm running an acrobat staff rogue with a barbarian splash for blood tribute and it's doing pretty well running elite with a hireling up to level 6 or so, will see how it continues to hold up. Reaper is too spicy for me but I can manage it if somone else in the group is good for it. And yeah like people are saying I'm pretty sure basically anything can solo normal at least until epic levels?

Pretty much, yea.

quote:

Is there a good breakdown of gear to pick up while leveling, especially saving for future lives?

I basically save all set gear I pickup as well as decent level 1-4 items. I'd suggest picking up the "shared bank" at some point once you get enough DDO points which will let you move BtA gear between characters.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

milkman dad posted:

<snip good info>

Ort posted:

Sure barb would be easier but they’re kind of an outlier and also super boring.

That’s great to know, and a lot more focused than the official forums and DDO wiki! I have never been a power fiend, or a min/max type player, but I do know how it feels to be completely incapable of soloing a loving bat while a necro’s pet solos an orc camp as his master is meditating his mana back and blind to the world. It’s not fun to be super over-powered and wade through a whole dungeon (unless it’s actually just for the fun/fantasy aspect, or farming a lower level gadget for crafting bind-on-loot crafting) but I accept the fact that that I have certain utilities and strengths traded off for not having Lay On Hands and a giant AoE axe “cleave “ cooldown. The meta is no fun for me on a first character, but I don’t disparage the “build calculators” and “autopilot leveling” once I’ve been through enough of a new (to me) game. Even Pay2Win doesn’t upset me unless it’s for a unbalanced widget that gives a huge advantage in PvP or something right outta the store.

Anyway, sorry for the longer
:words: than necessary. GoG Galaxy is busy patching most of my games, and I have to feed my family some breakfast, but hopefully I can play later and ask n00b questions or maybe even group up after everyone goes to bed at night and I would not have to /quit out on a new group or something silly. 😜

DerekSmartymans posted:

That’s great to know, and a lot more focused than the official forums and DDO wiki! I have never been a power fiend, or a min/max type player, but I do know how it feels to be completely incapable of soloing a loving bat while a necro’s pet solos an orc camp as his master is meditating his mana back and blind to the world. It’s not fun to be super over-powered and wade through a whole dungeon (unless it’s actually just for the fun/fantasy aspect, or farming a lower level gadget for crafting bind-on-loot crafting) but I accept the fact that that I have certain utilities and strengths traded off for not having Lay On Hands and a giant AoE axe “cleave “ cooldown. The meta is no fun for me on a first character, but I don’t disparage the “build calculators” and “autopilot leveling” once I’ve been through enough of a new (to me) game. Even Pay2Win doesn’t upset me unless it’s for a unbalanced widget that gives a huge advantage in PvP or something right outta the store.

Anyway, sorry for the longer
:words: than necessary. GoG Galaxy is busy patching most of my games, and I have to feed my family some breakfast, but hopefully I can play later and ask n00b questions or maybe even group up after everyone goes to bed at night and I would not have to /quit out on a new group or something silly. 😜

This game has such a wide degree of difficulty settings that as long as you aren’t one of the people that feels obligated to do the hardest one for “efficiency reasons”, you can really tweak it to whatever you feel comfortable with.

I’ve done builds that I just keep it on elite for because they aren’t as great at low levels (eg swashbuckler) or builds that can do 3 skull reapers. This game really encourages and facilitates customizing it to the way you like to play.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Customer-chosen difficulty is an awesome QoL trait for a computer game. I think I’ll end up with an acrobat after starting as assassin for the “stealth exploration” phase, but one reason I’m looking forward to Ashes of Creation is the ability to dodge/evasion tank but still able to DPS. My rogue in WoW could save (and has) a party from a boss wipe at 1-2% unless it just happened for longer than 8 seconds, maybe 10-12 with a healer. Acrobat reads like a happy medium between my Outlaw rogue on WoW and a full-on Evasion Tank in (someday) a game like Ashes.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

I really love the tales from white plume mountain quests in the twelve. Fun mechanics, also generally good loot for the level. You can also look for sets in ravenloft when you get there (also good quests).

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Also for all the new people exploring the game the next hardcore season is rumored to start in December. It’s a great opportunity to see the game with a thriving early game population. Initially the server was vip only but recent seasons have made it open to f2p. Regardless if you character lives or dies you can generally transfer it to your main server.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

milkman dad posted:

Also for all the new people exploring the game the next hardcore season is rumored to start in December. It’s a great opportunity to see the game with a thriving early game population. Initially the server was vip only but recent seasons have made it open to f2p. Regardless if you character lives or dies you can generally transfer it to your main server.

Yea i'm pumped for next hardcore. There are some rumors that its going to be really good. I'm shooting for the favor leaderboards this time assuming I can get my homies back together for it.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Lorem ipsum posted:

Yea i'm pumped for next hardcore. There are some rumors that its going to be really good. I'm shooting for the favor leaderboards this time assuming I can get my homies back together for it.

Just remember everyone the biggest killers are traps!

shahadien
Jan 5, 2014

Hey, just wanted to give a shout-out of thanks for the heads-up on this code.

I had recently decided to re-download the game, but decided that I was just too drat far behind on content packs to bother paying for all of it. This might actually be enough to get me back into it!

Only other problem is....it had been so long since I had played that I have COMPLETELY forgotten how to use the old characters I had built. Gonna make up a new toon and get a new handle on the game now!

Thanks again!

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

shahadien posted:

Hey, just wanted to give a shout-out of thanks for the heads-up on this code.

I had recently decided to re-download the game, but decided that I was just too drat far behind on content packs to bother paying for all of it. This might actually be enough to get me back into it!

Only other problem is....it had been so long since I had played that I have COMPLETELY forgotten how to use the old characters I had built. Gonna make up a new toon and get a new handle on the game now!

Thanks again!

You can check to see if any of your characters have a true heart of wood- this will let you essentially “re-roll” that character with their existing race and class. You could follow a more contemporary guide (ddo forums or ddovault.com, though the people posting on ddovault typically emphasize very endgame builds). This way you have a better sense of your character identity. Doesn’t help me with one of my toons being some mix of cleric/monk/fighter (???) but if you are a single class or multi class that makes sense it should work.

The meta game for ddo is generally to enhance the power of your character through “true resurrections.”

That said, nothing wrong with re-rolling. Note that they released “the borderlands” within the past couple years as an alternative to korthos island. I still love korthos so I typically do both in my hardcore runs.

shahadien
Jan 5, 2014

milkman dad posted:

You can check to see if any of your characters have a true heart of wood- this will let you essentially “re-roll” that character with their existing race and class. You could follow a more contemporary guide (ddo forums or ddovault.com, though the people posting on ddovault typically emphasize very endgame builds). This way you have a better sense of your character identity. Doesn’t help me with one of my toons being some mix of cleric/monk/fighter (???) but if you are a single class or multi class that makes sense it should work.

The meta game for ddo is generally to enhance the power of your character through “true resurrections.”

That said, nothing wrong with re-rolling. Note that they released “the borderlands” within the past couple years as an alternative to korthos island. I still love korthos so I typically do both in my hardcore runs.

Thanks! I'll look around and see if I can find one. I had never even made it deeply enough into the game before to make it to a resurrection. My "most powerful" toon is a lvl 12 warforged wiz hahaha

shahadien posted:

Thanks! I'll look around and see if I can find one. I had never even made it deeply enough into the game before to make it to a resurrection. My "most powerful" toon is a lvl 12 warforged wiz hahaha

shahadien posted:

That is also the level I abandon my characters when I unsub! 12-14ish. Most of your build is fleshed out with your capstone; you get the power spike from ravenloft gear, and then there’s just this sad time after all the excitement.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Does anyone have general advice on what consumables to use, or specific for a rogue? There's just a whole ton of stuff that I'm not sure what to do with. I'm training UMD as well but not really sure what's useful for me there.

shahadien
Jan 5, 2014

Ort posted:

That is also the level I abandon my characters when I unsub! 12-14ish. Most of your build is fleshed out with your capstone; you get the power spike from ravenloft gear, and then there’s just this sad time after all the excitement.

For me it was just a matter of money and work....by the time I hit that level years ago, I ran out of money....then when I had the money again, I was working too much to bother playing the game. C'est la vie.

My characters are on Orien, and I would like to play with some actual humans since navigationally I have very little idea what I'm doing....but also just found out that it'll cost ~30$ to transfer to Argonnessen. So instead of doing that, I'm just going to make a brand new character on the Argo server!

Probably best since I have 0 clue wtf to do anyway!

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Does anyone have general advice on what consumables to use, or specific for a rogue? There's just a whole ton of stuff that I'm not sure what to do with. I'm training UMD as well but not really sure what's useful for me there.

So generally you want 19 UMD, which is enough to use level 1 arcane scrolls and wands without a chance of failure. This lets you use the following:

Shield (protection from magic missles and similar)
Master's Touch (makes you proficient with all martial weapons)
Expeditious Retreat (run faster)

The other important breakpoints for UMD are:

35: Raise dead scrolls
39: Heal scrolls, Greater Heroism scrolls (+4 morale bonus to all skills including trapping skills)

Magic missile protection is important on all characters and every character can achieve 19 UMD even if it isn't a class skill. Rogues can be reasonable backup healers in a group with a full stack of heal scrolls and greater heroism is helpful to boost your trapping abilities so 39 UMD is very desirable as a rogue.

As far as potions go, the following are important:

Cure Serious Wounds
Remove Curse
Remove Disease
Poison Neutralization
Lesser Restoration
Jump
Heroism (boost your trapping)
Fox's Cunning (boost your trapping. Stop using once you get an item with +4 int or more)
Haste (run and attack faster)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Just a friendly PSA I only noticed last night: when you upgrade an ability in your enhancement tree, you have to go back and put it in your bar again or it'll keep using your old un-upgraded version

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What's a decent way to get dragonshard fragments and cannith essences? My artificer blows through stacks of ammo but I'd like to use the fancy stuff if possible

Just use conjured bolts, nobody uses fancy ammo sadly.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

What's the best way to get a featherfall augment? I'm looking at Ravenloft gear and I don't think I'll have a spare slot

Stonewalljack
Oct 29, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

What's the best way to get a featherfall augment? I'm looking at Ravenloft gear and I don't think I'll have a spare slot

I just have a pair of level 2 boots I keep on my hotbar with my other boots and swap them in and out when needed.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

I'd personally have a gear swap like is mentioned above. If you do want an augment, you can search for it on this page and find the vendor and trade collectables for it: https://ddowiki.com/page/Augment_Slot/Purchasable_Augments

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Got through Ravenloft with some goon help, still a really fun expansion. Kinda want to grind out a few more bits of gear before moving on though. On a different note, what's the advice for filling out reaper enhancements? I figure defensive ones first but I'm not really sure which stuff to put points into. Con seems a no-brainer, I'm already dodge capped, so i guess either double down on reflex, patch up will, or get some more resistance?

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Got through Ravenloft with some goon help, still a really fun expansion. Kinda want to grind out a few more bits of gear before moving on though. On a different note, what's the advice for filling out reaper enhancements? I figure defensive ones first but I'm not really sure which stuff to put points into. Con seems a no-brainer, I'm already dodge capped, so i guess either double down on reflex, patch up will, or get some more resistance?

My personal recommendation:

When you don't have a lot of reaper points, put them all in defense.

If you are a spellcaster, once you have enough points to take +1 DC, do that.

Its important to note that all of the cores (and only the cores) after the first one apply outside reaper mode as well as inside.

I agree. Up to 21 points put them in defense. It’s a game changer.

Reindeer Flotilla
Mar 14, 2006

I RAN "COMEDY" THROUGH GOOGLE AND THIS IS ALL I GOT! ZULUZULUZULU!

I got an email about the free quests plus the cheap modules, so I re-upped to give it a try - played a bit several years ago, but never passed level 6. I found an arcane archer build that looked interesting, and am working through the Korthos Island quests now - any tips and tricks that I should know?

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Reindeer Flotilla posted:

I got an email about the free quests plus the cheap modules, so I re-upped to give it a try - played a bit several years ago, but never passed level 6. I found an arcane archer build that looked interesting, and am working through the Korthos Island quests now - any tips and tricks that I should know?

Well, theres a bunch to know but I'd suggest the following to start:

Make sure you are keeping items that increase the spell power of the element of arrows you are shooting. So if you are shooting acid arrow, something like a +30 corrosion item will have a huge impact on your damage

Buy and use the barbarian hirling that is sold in korthos from the vendor in front of the storehouse quest

Buy healing potions in the marketplace

Finally, you want to pickup the ability in your tree that lets you create arrows ASAP as you will go though A TON of arrows.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Don't be like me and forget to turn on improved precise shot for 2 levels

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Reindeer Flotilla posted:

Paralyzing arrows, while fun, dont work on a fair amount of the content (such as undead) so don’t emphasize them too much.

You might find more power from archers focus that you find from elemental arrows, that said play what is fun for you. If you do try archers focus note that aimed shot from the deepwood stalker tree will add stacks of archers focus. There’s also a whole new tree horizon walker that looks designed for bows.

Reindeer Flotilla
Mar 14, 2006

I RAN "COMEDY" THROUGH GOOGLE AND THIS IS ALL I GOT! ZULUZULUZULU!

Thanks for the info, all - I'm on Argonnessen if any groups don't mind a tagalong once I get to a level where I'm more than completely useless. :)

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Man, artificer is so much fun a few lives in. I have enough rune arms banked and enough plat to fill in the gaps for the really good ones. I go turret mode and just tab target with auto attack on and flame grill mobs when they get close. All the rogue kit added in is just a great bonus. Only downside is no numbers or symbols in names so I couldn't go with the super original and hilarious name P3-N15 for my robot dog

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Oct 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shahadien
Jan 5, 2014

Could I get a guild invite when anybody gets a chance?

Character name: Critoris