Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Skunkduster over in the Scale Modeling thread uses a stereo-microscope for painting small stuff. Great for minis, or photo-etch pieces on models.

There are also various head-mounted magnification dealies for sale. I'd advise ones with glass lenses even if there's a bit of a price premium. The plastic ones get hosed up too easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

DicktheCat posted:

Are you buttcheeksio?

nah. Also I don't know how you would confuse us, he's way better than I am

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It gets better and Orkier: the ship was worked on by shipwrights from Sweden and Amsterdam, who used different rulers / measuring implements without realizing it. Apparently Sweden and Holland had different definitions for "a foot" or something. So the ship's hull was built in a way that the port side was heavier than the starboard side.

They've discovered rulers at the shipbuilding site calibrated to both Swedish feet and Amsterdam feet (12 and 11 inches respectively). This caused the ship to be very slightly asymmetrical, which was definitely a contributing factor but not a big one. The real reason is simply a design flaw. It was too top heavy, and didn't cut deep enough into the water, so it was extremely unstable.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Winklebottom posted:

Vasa. Was way too top-heavy and sank a few minutes out of port.

Wow. When I hear the phrase "ghost ship," this is exactly what comes to mind.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

DicktheCat posted:

Are you buttcheeksio?
i think verisimilidude is buttcheeksio?

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
I am buttcheeksio, and so is my wife!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I follow butt cheeks O on insta and their painting is great

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
But doctor, I am the butt cheeks.

Knuckle Sammich
May 4, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

I would honestly love to watch an entire video of how one actually manages to achieve that level of fine detail consistently.

Check out Olga Kropotova, some parts are sped up, but even then the process is amazing.
https://youtu.be/r5O_srgLY5A

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Turns out Fat Mortal Kombat is a google trap.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Maneck posted:

Turns out Fat Mortal Kombat is a google trap.

You’re supposed to search Mortal Komfat

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Ogre Kombat?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Here's the video on cloaks and textures I'd been looking for. There are a lot of techniques in one short video,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFKkAcLBp5Q

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Mr. Sunshine posted:

I am buttcheeksio, and so is my wife!

Truly, we are all buttcheeksio.

It's the best name, I swear.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

mllaneza posted:

Here's the video on cloaks and textures I'd been looking for. There are a lot of techniques in one short video,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFKkAcLBp5Q

I had never thought about painting on a grid before, that tip was worth the click alone

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

Thought the middle was John Cena for a sec.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Mohawk Potato posted:

Thought the middle was John Cena for a sec.

Johnny Cage also doesn't believe that Taiwan is a country - but not because of pressure from the Chinese movie industry, he's just very confused and doesn't think it physically exists at all.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

REJECT MODERNITY

EMBRACE TRADITION

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Cat Face Joe posted:

REJECT MODERNITY

EMBRACE TRADITION

someone should do that bimbo evolution meme with trolls

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Cat Face Joe posted:

REJECT MODERNITY

EMBRACE TRADITION

I have this model, it's from one of the early Reaper Bones sets, it's a fun model that's easy to make look really good.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

There are so many of these horrible things

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
It's not that surprising if you consider people spending hundreds on naked anime statues. And that market has "thrived" for decades.
Really weird way to sell it, though. You're buying a text file with a link to a Mega file? That sure sounds reliable

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Desfore posted:

It's not that surprising if you consider people spending hundreds on naked anime statues. And that market has "thrived" for decades.
Really weird way to sell it, though. You're buying a text file with a link to a Mega file? That sure sounds reliable

Maybe the STL is actually free and they are selling you a link to where it is hosted without actually rehosting/stealing the work? So it is a finder's fee to cringworthy crap.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Desfore posted:

Dude is a 1000% just reselling files he purchased illegally. Bunch of people doing this with 3d models right now.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Desfore posted:

still better than crypto

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I'll take a dozen!

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

If you're making such a specific reference for a model, I would think they'd try to make the car details as accurate as possible

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Does anyone make an abu hajar mini?

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
https://twitter.com/erikcats/status/1454202386910748674?s=21

lol

A lot of this guys stuff is great though

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Scratch Monkey posted:

Does anyone make an abu hajar mini?

If anyone finds one let me know so I can get one to go with the Meng technical model I'm converting into this:

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Get your naked barbarian fix here!

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

LashLightning posted:

It's awful nice that he's pointing at it with both hands, otherwise i might not have noticed the big thing dangling there.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

w00tmonger posted:

Dude is a 1000% just reselling files he purchased illegally. Bunch of people doing this with 3d models right now.

Selling STLs without a proper license from the guy who most assuredly modeled it without a license for those characters. And the model itself is gross. Gas everyone involved, close the mega repository.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Maneck posted:

close the mega repository.

They did that once already but it didn't stick.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

LashLightning posted:

i'm going to get this and modify him to have a really tiny wiener

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Miles O'Brian posted:

I had never thought about painting on a grid before, that tip was worth the click alone

The grid changes the project from "I could never do that" to "that would be a lot of work", an entirely different prospect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Midjack posted:

They did that once already but it didn't stick.

The gassing is non-severable.