Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Just got a reply from my claims adjuster. The fact that it needs paint, a drivetrain refresh, and possibly hubs means it's considered salvage by my insurance company. I'm free tomorrow keep it and do whatever with it.

Yay free bagged out bike. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
I recently came across this bike and I've been itching to buy it as a fast city commuter/general purpose grocery getter/light touring bike (think daytrips here): https://bombtrack.com/2021-arise-geared-glossy-dark-cherry/.

Unfortunately, I only managed to find an online seller for it (with one size "M") and now I'm wondering whether it would fit ok. My road bike is a Wilier GTR Team in size "L" - that bike fits me pretty much perfectly.

I put the two bikes into a frame comparison tool and the measurements look pretty similar, but I still have doubts about ordering online.

https://www.velogicfit.com/frame-co...1=47&spacer2=29

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
If the Arise you're looking at has flat bars, then the geo comparison you listed doesn't quite apply.
With the Arise M frame, you can certainly get your reach/stack very close, but that'd only make sense comparing drops to drops.
Generally, you need more reach on a flat bar setup, I'd say a few to several cm more, depending on how much stem you like and the width of your bars.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Wrong thread maybe.

But I just watched the Netflix show about Movistar. I always thought cycling teams were sophisticated data focused teams similar to F1 and that the guys on the radio would be saying things like if you maintain X watts over Y distance you'll catch leaders in Z time and providing regular updates to optimize performance of the riders.

Nope, it's just a dude in a car yelling Vamos at Richard Carapaz.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I'm p sure in every race I've been in a voice in my head just plain ol' screaming at me to go faster would be way more useful than advanced telemetry and gap information.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Sab0921 posted:

Wrong thread maybe.

But I just watched the Netflix show about Movistar. I always thought cycling teams were sophisticated data focused teams similar to F1 and that the guys on the radio would be saying things like if you maintain X watts over Y distance you'll catch leaders in Z time and providing regular updates to optimize performance of the riders.

I mean one team (sky/ineos) refined this tactic and won the tour 7 times by doing it and other teams are doing it now.

The documentary focuses on movistar who are the biggest batch of binmen in the sport.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Sab0921 posted:

Wrong thread maybe.

To be fair in the last F1 race Leclerc who was leading the race asked what position the team was aiming for, and they radio'd back saying "if you stay ahead of P2, you'll win." So don't give them too much credit.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Aphex- posted:

To be fair in the last F1 race Leclerc who was leading the race asked what position the team was aiming for, and they radio'd back saying "if you stay ahead of P2, you'll win." So don't give them too much credit.

Yeah, and he drives for the Movistar of F1.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

Just got a reply from my claims adjuster. The fact that it needs paint, a drivetrain refresh, and possibly hubs means it's considered salvage by my insurance company. I'm free tomorrow keep it and do whatever with it.
LOL I did the same to my insurance company. They hosed us on the depreciation tables (no, bikes don't depreciate 20% a loving year assholes), I had my LBS go through the bikes with a *very* fine toothed comb, got salvage for both.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

evil_bunnY posted:

LOL I did the same to my insurance company. They hosed us on the depreciation tables (no, bikes don't depreciate 20% a loving year assholes), I had my LBS go through the bikes with a *very* fine toothed comb, got salvage for both.

All I had to say was 'it's not in good shape' and they were like 'k cool enjoy your free bike'.

Maybe we'll get back the $3000 jackhammer next.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

serious gaylord posted:

biggest batch of binmen in the sport.

What does this mean in american?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Biggest group of garbage men

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
I'm still waiting for Quintana to be able to cover an attack by Sky/Ineos on a climb

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

evil_bunnY posted:

(no, bikes don't depreciate 20% a loving year assholes),

How much do they depreciate then?

For tax purposes in the UK (we have a tax dodging cyclescheme bike purchase system), the market value of a bike is assessed at 25% of original value after one year.

I bought a 2ish year old used bike for close to 1/3 of its value new.

Compared to that 20% a year seems optimistic if anything.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Biggest group of garbage men

Never forget the time Valverde chased down an attack by Quintana just to get dropped a minute later and help froome win the stage.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

A whole team of Teejay Van Garderen

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

It mean they're the Detroit Lions.

But - in the first season of the doc, they won the Giro - so can't be that bad.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

wooger posted:

For tax purposes in the UK (we have a tax dodging cyclescheme bike purchase system), the market value of a bike is assessed at 25% of original value after one year.

Just because they apply an arbitrary number to it for your program doesn’t make that a reality. Insurance is based on market prices to replace - actual cash value or replacement value. People are selling stuff for insane prices right now, which is what would reflect in an insurance settlement since it’s intent is to make you whole.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

SirLeigh posted:

Yeah, unfortunately, I want hydraulic. Maybe I'll just go Shimano, even though its more expensive and apparently harder to set up... but at least I might get it this year.

Did you ever end up finding either of these groups?

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

wooger posted:

I have an insurance claim in to replace the 4 bikes I just got stolen. I gave them a (honestly low-balled) quote of $11,000 to replace like-with-like but they're asking me for original purchase prices (many of these bikes were bought in 2011-2015 years) which is much lower (they were cheaper then!) than what it would cost to replace them. Here's hoping they're generous...

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

tylertfb posted:

I have an insurance claim in to replace the 4 bikes I just got stolen. I gave them a (honestly low-balled) quote of $11,000 to replace like-with-like but they're asking me for original purchase prices (many of these bikes were bought in 2011-2015 years) which is much lower (they were cheaper then!) than what it would cost to replace them. Here's hoping they're generous...

Submit the documentation they’re asking for, but also include sold comparable bikes from eBay or wherever you can. If your HO policy is for actual cash value and you can prove the market value is (for example) $1k now via sold listings you should be able to help argue your case.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Replacement Value. That is the phrase you want when shopping policies.

totempoleman
Jan 20, 2005

Make a jazz note here.
I got into cycling around May of 2020 at the beginning of pandemic boredom. Bought a Cannondale Quick 4 for around $800. In the last year and a half I've rode it around 3k miles, using it for a mixture commuting, exercise and fun rides.

I decided to take it in for a tune-up today and took it in to my local bike shop chain. Their website offers tune-ups at around $120. They took a look at it and quoted me at around $800, because it needs a new cassette, brake pads, tires, and some other assorted things.

Is this a normal amount to have to pay after owning a bike for a year and half? Is it worth paying the price I paid originally for a tune-up, or should I look into a new, better bike?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Post the quote they gave you but if you've put 3000 miles on a bike and done zero maintenance in that time you've probably worn out the drive train.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

totempoleman posted:

I got into cycling around May of 2020 at the beginning of pandemic boredom. Bought a Cannondale Quick 4 for around $800. In the last year and a half I've rode it around 3k miles, using it for a mixture commuting, exercise and fun rides.

I decided to take it in for a tune-up today and took it in to my local bike shop chain. Their website offers tune-ups at around $120. They took a look at it and quoted me at around $800, because it needs a new cassette, brake pads, tires, and some other assorted things.

Is this a normal amount to have to pay after owning a bike for a year and half? Is it worth paying the price I paid originally for a tune-up, or should I look into a new, better bike?

depending on the assorted things that seems pretty goddamn steep.

Disc brake pads are like 10 bucks
a 11-42 microshift cassette is 40 bucks
schwalbe spicer tires are 20 bucks a piece
new inner tubes max 10 bucks each
total cost for replacing those components: about 100 bucks (consumer prices)

In total, if they take their sweet time, an hour of work, let's be generous and say 100 bucks for labour costs

that's still only 200 bucks, not 800!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

wooger posted:

The first was a cargo bike that I literally resold for 2/3 of its new price after recovering it.
The other was a mountain bike (3YO), no used replacement available anywhere even near its full price.

I have a declared value policy now and there'll be zero arguing.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

totempoleman posted:

I would not say it's normal but without seeing a quote I can't say for sure. I imagine the prices might be based on higher end parts that they have in stock or can order. Some of the traditionally affordable basic parts are unavailable through typical suppliers.

I'm guessing their quote might have ~$50-80 tires, ~$30-40 brake pads, $60 cassette, $40 chain, new cables...

That quote does feel super high, but I think there is a very good chance the price reflects their reality as opposed to trying to rip you off. Was the quote itemized?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

totempoleman posted:

poo poo doesn't add up when the tune-up would cost as much as buying another Quick 4 with all new parts.

I probably wouldn't wear through the OE Cannondale Quick tires in 3000mi, especially not the front tire. That would probably last me >10000mi. As a comparison, I race bikes and relatively skinny 30mm Vittotia Corsa Control speed weenie tires lasted me 4000mi in the rear.

I could see a new cassette being needed in 3000mi if you haven't been maintaining your drivetrain. The best way to preserve your drivetrain bits is to keep your chain clean. If you live in a dry climate, use a wax-based drip lube like Silca Super Secret Chain Lube or Ceramic Speed UFO Drip. Some may scoff at the price of these lubes, but they cost less than replacing chains, cassettes, 3x as often. You could also go cheaper with Squirt or Smoove.

Brake pads after 3000mi? Yeah that's normalish for flat riding and resin pads. Sintered pads might cost a bit more, but they could be a better value if they last 2x as long.

And yeah, confirming what Samopsa said:
A new lower end cassette would normally cost $30-40.
Brake pads about $12-15ea
Chain? $20
OE equivalent tires? $25-30ea

I will say that putting a nicer tire on your wheels could be fairly transformative and worth a price premium.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 22, 2021

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
Can someone make a concise post of all the different lubes you should keep for all your bike holes and bits? The bike maintenance thread kind of just says ___ lube, but I want a true store-pee-in-tubes take of the good poo poo.

edit: THANK YOU VVVV

osker fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 22, 2021

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

osker posted:

Can someone make a concise post of all the different lubes you should keep for all your bike holes and bits? The bike maintenance thread kind of just says ___ lube, but I want a true store-pee-in-tubes take of the good poo poo.

Blue loctite for most fasteners
Carbon paste for any static interface between carbon+carbon or carbon+else
Copper anti-seize for static dissimilar metals, especially titanium on anything else
Marine grease for stuff like greasing crank spindles, pedal spindles, hub axles, similar metals like alloy seatposts in alloy seattubes. Can be used on threaded interfaces if nothing else is available unless instructed otherwise.
Lighter grease like Dumonde Freehub Grease for stuff like some freehubs and repacking/refilling bearings
Oil like Phil's Tenacious or Dumonde Tech Freehub Oil for some freehubs
Dryish lube like Dumonde Tech Lite or RnR Gold for any slight creaks like cable housings sliding against cable entry guides, pedal platform vs cleats, derailleur pivots, STI lever pivots, etc.
Wax-based drip lube for lubing the chain in dry/dusty conditions
Wet oil-based drip lube for chains used in wet conditions
White Lightning Clean Streak spray degreaser for wiping down disc rotors
Citrus degreaser or Simple Green Extreme (don't use regular) heavily diluted 1:5 to 1:8 for removing all grime/grease from drivetrain parts off the bike

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 23, 2021

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

osker posted:

Also, https://www.singletracks.com/mtb-gear/mtb-lube-theory-what-oil-or-grease-goes-where-we-asked-a-world-cup-mechanic/ is 👌

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Brad aka goofy rear end mustached Michael Cera is on point with his specific recommendations. UFO Drip and RnR Gold are both excellent for slightly different use cases. If doing a multi-day ride, vacation or riding occasionally in damp conditions, RnR over wax drip.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 23, 2021

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
After two years of the bare frame sitting in my attic, I finally bought a couple parts

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

spf3million posted:

After two years of the bare frame sitting in my attic, I finally bought a couple parts

:eyepop:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

spf3million posted:

Holy moly

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I hope this Italian frame doesn't get the drill

Or maybe I hope it does, I dunno

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

spf3million posted:

:swoon: god drat

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

osker posted:

edit: THANK YOU VVVV
Lube chat: does anyone have a favorite grease gun? I had a cheap metal one for a while but it broke. It was a pain to reload. I'd like to get one of the mini guns that screw straight onto the tube, are the threads on difficult greases tubes generally universal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

spf3million posted:

Lube chat: does anyone have a favorite grease gun? I had a cheap metal one for a while but it broke. It was a pain to reload. I'd like to get one of the mini guns that screw straight onto the tube, are the threads on difficult greases tubes generally universal?
The finish line grease squirter fits on my tube of super lube, but not my tube of phill wood.

e: Phil Wood Sells a mini grease gun now and the tubes on their website look different than mine. Maybe they changed the threads in the past several years.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 23, 2021