Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Feel like there's room for a heartwarming British comedy starring idk Toby Jones about a gang of brinks mat style hijackers from the 70s and 80s who have to drive lorries to save Christmas. Maybe a funny scene where they have to get used to modern lorry driving techniques or a computer. Maybe they're even older and haven't read a newspaper since they went in prison so they've never seen a motorway and there are antics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

jaete posted:

But hey, maybe electric cars will save everything 50 years from now.

They'll need to immolate drivers at a much faster rate to make an impact on climate change.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

jaete posted:

This whole post reads as ridiculously optimistic to me. I mean, to take just one country as an example, in India alone there are more than a billion people who will literally be able to no longer live where they are a few years from now, due to climate change loving up the environment completely.

It seems pretty predictable to me that once you have literally one thousand million climate refugees, there will be wars.

It is also pretty predictable that the reaction of every non-refugee country to this will be "shoot the refugees" (i.e. more wars).

It also seems pretty predictable to me that once the world economy gets completely hosed up due to the unprecedented numbers of people getting their lives completely hosed up and becoming refugees, this will have an impact on "first world countries" whose economies will then "shrink"; where by "first world countries" I mean "literally every country" and by "shrink" I mean "get completely hosed up".

I think the key words here are ‘reads’ and ‘seems’ they are descriptions of your mental state, the situation that exists inside your head.

This is a topic on which you, like anyone, are a world expert. And so you are no doubt entirely correct about how you feel. It’s just that that meant that causes you to read a objectively utopinly optimistic report, with a step by step plan for what needs to be done, as a declaration of doom.

But the world of climate and politics exists outside your head; the fact that you are sad does not imply anything about how things will turn out.. They may indeed be bad, but the best case for the future is still clearly above the present.

The future is a football match that hasn’t been played yet, it is certainly possible that we will lose 6:0, but that is not baked in.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
OTOH, and I don't mean to be rude, Radmonger, but you seem to be consistently wrong about everything you post about ITT.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I'm resigned to the worst case scenario because the world is controlled by worst sorts of people who won't stop their gravy train. Why would they? It's not in their interests.

The world has only taken the most miniscule attempts at reversing climate change, and the onus seems to always be on gaslighting the public into burdening the blame while continuing to allow the corporations to pollute and have an easy ride.

We are regularly seeing capital cities around the world flood now, and that still hasn't panicked governments into taking swift action. We are 30-40 years too late already.

I don't dwell too much on this poo poo, because it's depressing, and my coping mechanism is to carpe diem each day whilst taking a load of cannabis, but at least I'm a realist about it all. Pretending that everything is going to be ok is also a coping mechanism, and I get why some people go down that path... but for me, believing in something only to have that hope destroyed is the worst case scenario for my mental health.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Also exactly what proportion of prisoners does he think have a HGV licence? Never mind running off with the lorry, they'll just plough into the nearest Tesco Express.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I like how prisoners have become this limitless supply of theoretical labour. Crops rotting in the fields? Prisoners! Hgv driver shortage? Prisoners! Can't wait for it to be the solution to the shortage of care home staff lol.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
We are just one shite Christmas from reinstating slavery.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pistol_Pete posted:

I like how prisoners have become this limitless supply of theoretical labour. Crops rotting in the fields? Prisoners! Hgv driver shortage? Prisoners! Can't wait for it to be the solution to the shortage of care home staff lol.

Recruitment for prisoners is much cheaper, quicker and more flexible than for the army, and prison labour has way more opportunity to enrich Serco et. al. than using squaddies.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

jaete posted:

This whole post reads as ridiculously optimistic to me. I mean, to take just one country as an example, in India alone there are more than a billion people who will literally be able to no longer live where they are a few years from now, due to climate change loving up the environment completely.

It seems pretty predictable to me that once you have literally one thousand million climate refugees, there will be wars.

It is also pretty predictable that the reaction of every non-refugee country to this will be "shoot the refugees" (i.e. more wars).

It also seems pretty predictable to me that once the world economy gets completely hosed up due to the unprecedented numbers of people getting their lives completely hosed up and becoming refugees, this will have an impact on "first world countries" whose economies will then "shrink"; where by "first world countries" I mean "literally every country" and by "shrink" I mean "get completely hosed up".

But hey, maybe electric cars will save everything 50 years from now.

yeah see this thread did the 'hope is a lie' poo poo before cspam blackpilled itself

what a ridiculous mindset, where even if you're right all you've done is made yourself miserable, depressed and demotivated during the calm times

i've suffered from depression since i was a teenager and unfortunately it's made me really unsympathetic to people choosing to wallow in this poo poo

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Pistol_Pete posted:

"I heard there's a childcare shortage?"...

... and if Patel has her way, there will in fact be a limitless supply of prisoners.

edit: Raab: Ex-cons will be trained to pull pints to help hospitality 'thrive' this Christmas

quote:

The new scheme will take place across several prisons, encouraging "vetted and appropriate ex-offenders" to play their part.

It comes in an attempt to help the hospitality sector bounce back, after having been one of the hardest hit by the pandemic, with previous staff forced to adapt and change careers.

The Justice Secretary announced on Thursday that both ex-convicts and existing inmates would be called in to help with the HGV driver shortage too.

He told LBC that he wanted to draft them in to support the economy instead of relying on the "old addiction" of foreign labour.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Oct 23, 2021

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I think we'll get the worst case scenarios but also survive for a far longer time than the doomers seem to think.
Society and all the things that wind you up are still gonna be chugging for a long time through some absolute poo poo.
There's a certain brand of doomer optimism where depressed folk are like "well at least everyone is dying with me" which I think is just wishful thinking.

We've been through multiple climate disasters going back hundreds of thousands of years to when there were only thousands of us.
Historically, the one factor that actually stops a species going extinct is large numbers when the mass extinction starts and there's loads of us. We're also generalists which helps a lot.

One thing we do know from human history is we are gonna continue to get real weird with it.
I'm sad I won't get to see all of it but these are some enjoyably insane times themselves if you can take a breath to appreciate them from time to time in between being exasperated at them.

Even in some kind of blasted hell scape there will still be people falling in love, fighting each other, making friends, going insane over trivial bullshit, the works.

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 23, 2021

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

the sex ghost posted:

Feel like there's room for a heartwarming British comedy starring idk Toby Jones about a gang of brinks mat style hijackers from the 70s and 80s who have to drive lorries to save Christmas. Maybe a funny scene where they have to get used to modern lorry driving techniques or a computer. Maybe they're even older and haven't read a newspaper since they went in prison so they've never seen a motorway and there are antics

Remake of The Italian Job, renamed 'The Brexit Job'.
All ex-con gammons, trying to steal a shipment of turkeys and drive them to cockney london so their ole mums can celebrate sovereignty.
Ending up on a teetering on cliff edge, pallet of Bernard Matthews on one end, them on the other.
One lets out a slow fart, and it slowly starts to topple over the edge.
Fin.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

is there some kind of secret free port then where an enterprising cargo stealer can fence a hijacked trailer full of gardeners compost or whatever

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Communist Thoughts posted:

I think we'll get the worst case scenarios but also survive for a far longer time than the doomers seem to think.

That's very much dependant on location, health and wealth. People trapped in other parts of the world aren't able to be as optimistic as you.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Bloody Prisoners, coming out of jail, taking our jobs etc

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

kecske posted:

is there some kind of secret free port then where an enterprising cargo stealer can fence a hijacked trailer full of gardeners compost or whatever

Free ports are on the cards, so probably yes!

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Jakabite posted:

Chisinau is in Moldova. Decent enough place. It has 24 hour bars that also do food all night which is VERY dangerous

I heard Chisinau was one of the shittest capital cities in Europe but I have absolutely no way of verifying this and the guy might just have been being an rear end about it

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

feedmegin posted:

Also exactly what proportion of prisoners does he think have a HGV licence? Never mind running off with the lorry, they'll just plough into the nearest Tesco Express.
Apparently yesterday morning my wife was run off the road by a lorry on her way to work. She said the cab was drifting across lanes and got so bad she basically had a choice between an emergency stop on the hard shoulder or getting clipped by it. It's entirely possible the driver was just being a prick to a lone female driver, but far more likely this is a barely trained driver in on an emergency visa that's exhausted from the new working hours regulations.

Yet again, people are going to be killed by the decisions of a Tory minister who will face absolutely zero consequences as a result.

zhar
May 3, 2019

A wise man once said that you can’t solve a problem with the same mindset that created it (and that mans name was Albert Einstein)

Personally holding out that reincarnation gets empirically proven, I think even the rich would be less inclined to cause a mess if they realised they’d be coming back to live in it. As a rat, perhaps

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Communist Thoughts posted:

It depends if you see yourself as part of 'we' in that statement. Same as all the people in this thread that advocate for the collapse of society because 'we' can simply launch a revolution.

It'll be fine for healthy, able bodied people, but god help you if you fall through the cracks, or the government decides what you do for fun or as a compulsion is suddenly illegal, or if you get injured by the new working conditions and are no longer able to be a productive member of society.

So no, I find it hard to be optimistic that 'we' will survive the worst-case scenarios that are coming.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
You know what what I'll say it. If the government wants to provide training and a job with a decent wage to non-violent offenders that's... a good thing?

Of course that's not what I'll will be in practice. loving chain gang farm labour probably.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It'll be fine for healthy, able bodied people, but god help you if you fall through the cracks, or the government decides what you do for fun or as a compulsion is suddenly illegal, or if you get injured by the new working conditions and are no longer able to be a productive member of society.

And this is different from the status quo how

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And this is different from the status quo how
In that some people are advocating for this situation to worsen.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Pistol_Pete posted:

They're just going to make lefties illegal and round us up.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

And like so many Conservative policies, there's the germ of a decent idea that they've managed to warp by their need to punish people who they deem to have transgressed.

If there's a long term, systemic shortage of HGV drivers, giving people in prison the opportunity to do the training and get the license could be genuinely rehabilitative.

There's a reason why so many people in the forces get their ticket while they're in - not only is it encouraged by the MoD because it's obviously useful to them, but it's a useful skill to have in your back pocket for civvy life.

But presumably Rabb isn't talking about spending money and time to give prisoners useful and in-demand skills that will improve their prospects and let them earn a wage once they're out. He just sees it as a free labour pool that the state already has sway over to solve the immediate short term problem, because prisoners are bad people who shouldn't be helped. You can tell they're bad because they're in prison. And they're in prison because they're bad.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Thing is, there's not *that* many prisoners in the 1st place. It's just so dumb.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I personally get irked by people saying "We'll be ok" and "We'll survive this", because most of those people say things like that from the perspective of good health, meaning they have the ability to work, fight or flee. Not everyone is so lucky.

As a weak cripple who is 100% reliant on state welfare, and someone who has already watched over 120,000 of their fellow compatriots socially murdered by the state with many more socially murdered by incompetent Covid policies, I can't be so positive.

The world isn't going to make any meaningful attempts to reverse climate change while old men can become insanely rich by burning fossil fuels and destroy our world's resources. As the world burns, it will be a case of the fittest, wealthiest and luckiest surviving.

I don't see this point of view as being doomsaying, but realistic, and based on reality. False hope is as toxic as any of the new-age wellness bollocks, and it nearly destroyed me after the 2019 election after people in this very thread told me to have hope....

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 23, 2021

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It depends if you see yourself as part of 'we' in that statement. Same as all the people in this thread that advocate for the collapse of society because 'we' can simply launch a revolution.

So no, I find it hard to be optimistic that 'we' will survive the worst-case scenarios that are coming.

I just mean we as in humanity and organised society, who knows what's in store for anyone personally.
Certainly nothing good if you're on the margins and the margins are being widened anyway

Vulnerable people have been being trampled on certainly for my whole life with or without climate change

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

Thing is, there's not *that* many prisoners in the 1st place. It's just so dumb.

Do you honestly think that this is the most difficult problem for a Tory government to resolve?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Darth Walrus posted:

Do you honestly think that this is the most difficult problem for a Tory government to resolve?

They are already building the camps. They just now need to fill them.

You can understand why the UK government hasn't been that critical about China. I guess we've been taking notes.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
They could just start recruiting all those asylum seekers and refugees. Give them all Tier 2 working visas.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Z the IVth posted:

They could just start recruiting all those asylum seekers and refugees. Give them all Tier 2 working visas.

Service[1] Guarantees[2] Citizenship[3]!

[1] "Apprentice" contracts at £2/hr
[2] If you complete the minimum required amount of hours (8000 in two years)
[3] Offer void if you get so much as a parking ticket or the Tories are lagging in the polls and need to throw out some darkies to mollify the gammons

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

BalloonFish posted:

There's a reason why so many people in the forces get their ticket while they're in - not only is it encouraged by the MoD because it's obviously useful to them, but it's a useful skill to have in your back pocket for civvy life.
Most of the 'bring back national service' cosplayers forget (or never actually knew because they stormed the beaches of Normandy 5 years after national service finished and also entirely in their own heads) that one of the most useful parts was vehicle training for the wider employment sphere.

Even after national service finished most of the van drivers for the GPO, gas board, water board, mines and quarries, and other sectors that needed a LGV/HGV fleet would be trained in some way down at the local army base, in the same way that a huge number of the first crop of commercial pilots either were or got trained by RAF crew and instructors.

That doesn't fit in with the narrative that it should be about idle youths being screamed at Full Metal Jacket style until they stiffen their upper lips and turn into a Ford Transit or whatever the current Express reader fantasy is though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bobby Deluxe posted:

In that some people are advocating for this situation to worsen.

The situation is already worsening. The things you are scared of happening if change happens because change is scary are already happening.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The situation is already worsening. The things you are scared of happening if change happens because change is scary are already happening.
Right, and the people who regularly advocate for total social breakdown are essential saying "but it's ok when it gets worse for our political ends."

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

smellmycheese posted:

Bloody Prisoners, coming out of jail, taking our jobs etc

And they'll all be forriners you know, bunch of criminals them forriners.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Service[1] Guarantees[2] Citizenship[3]!

[1] "Apprentice" contracts at £2/hr
[2] If you complete the minimum required amount of hours (8000 in two years)
[3] Offer void if you get so much as a parking ticket or the Tories are lagging in the polls and need to throw out some darkies to mollify the gammons

My joke was that the Tier 2 visas are entirely at the whim of the employer so they could be withdrawn and deported at will.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Z the IVth posted:

My joke was that the Tier 2 visas are entirely at the whim of the employer so they could be withdrawn and deported at will.

Yeah, I was trying to expand on that (and point out that we're explicitly not guaranteeing citizenship to any of the workers we've suddenly realised we really desperately need).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

On top of a return to Gilded Age levels of inequality it looks like we're reaching that stage of capitalists outright refusing to train or pay their own workers to any sufficient degree that the moment they can't rely on the next best thing to slave labour the economy literally cannot function.