Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Caesar Saladin posted:

If you want live ammo, watch Come and See, where they're firing live rounds over some poor 13 year olds head while he ducks in a trench and they're blowing up trees with real artillery and poo poo.

That movie is great in showing just how brutal the Nazis were to the ordinary Soviet people, and how brutal the Soviets were when they fought back.

I've seen people say "Baldwin should have been able to tell the gun is loaded" because they're all high level former SpecOps that can tell just by feel how many rounds are in a gun, right? That it was somehow his fault, while it seems like it was the armorers fault, because why were live rounds left in a gun that was on an active set?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Personally I would simply not point a gun at someone and pull the trigger.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Aardvark! posted:

By the way, regarding the plot of the movie they were shooting:

lmao nice

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
We still don't know if it was a blank or not, right? Prop gun, real gun, hot gun, cold gun, live round, all I've seen are terms with very specific gun nerd/film crew meanings that don't actually explain anything at all for the layman.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Sometimes you shoot the film and sometimes the film shoots you. That's life

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
In actual press releases I mean, not just like, whatever text message someone on Reddit claimed to screenshot from their friends uncle who worked nearby but knows a guy on set.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

They were really lucky that they weren't making a film about the inventor of the Gatling gun

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost

twistedmentat posted:

That movie is great in showing just how brutal the Nazis were to the ordinary Soviet people, and how brutal the Soviets were when they fought back.

Excluding the Nazis, the Soviet rape of the Germans is an often excluded part of history, and Come and See is a fraction of a glimpse into the horrors of that war.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
Watch this person rise to fame and become a fixture on right wing news shows.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
:j: Oh Adam, however will we get the Deetzes out of our house?!

:blastu: Don't worry Barb, I have a few ideas

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Songbearer posted:

:j: Oh Adam, however will we get the Deetzes out of our house?!

:blastu: Don't worry Barb, I have a few ideas

I cannot abide the assassination of Otho.

not a cop
Oct 16, 2021

Novo posted:

i am not a physicist or a firearms expert but it seems like plugging up a real gun and then putting blanks in it is maybe not the best idea

They have to be plugged else they don't have enough pressure to cycle the next round (semi autos, anyway).

It also prevents mishaps; the barrel will blow up if you try to shoot a real bullet through it, assuming the chamber hasn't been modified so that it can't seat a full size bullet (blanks are just the casing with powder and a crimp on it).

Blanks aren't safe, though. Remember In Bruges when Colin Farrel blinded that dude with one? That would really happen. Also, actor Jon Hexum put a .44 magnum with a blank up to his own head and pulled the trigger, apparently unaware that it would blow his skull into his brain and kill him from the pressure alone.

not a cop fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Oct 23, 2021

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
My theory is Baldwin did it on purpose to support the union.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Strategic Tea posted:

Excellent work, 47

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

All right everyone, this is Goot and she will be handling everything about our guns to make sure they're safe. Nobody touches them unless she hands you one and give it back immediately when you're done.

*5 minutes later*

Hey Hannah, toss me that gun on the table over there would you, dear? What Goot? Yeah, she probably checked it out already it's fine.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

FoolyCharged posted:

All right everyone, this is Goot and she will be handling everything about our guns to make sure they're safe. Nobody touches them unless she hands you one and give it back immediately when you're done.

*5 minutes later*

Hey Hannah, toss me that gun on the table over there would you, dear? What Goot? Yeah, she probably checked it out already it's fine.

Susanna said she wanted to deregulate and eliminate the film industry in NM

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Seriously though, they had a dedicated gun personm why were other people handling the guns?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

FoolyCharged posted:

Seriously though, they had a dedicated gun personm why were other people handling the guns?

*points to OSHA thread*

seriously, between working for a CMO pharma company and a prolific audio manufacturer, OSHA exists for a reason and that's because people do stupid loving poo poo around machinery all the time and everything you do should be triple checked before proceeding

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

mossyfisk posted:

Personally I would simply not point a gun at someone and pull the trigger.

When in Rome...

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Does anyone know which episode of Colombo this is from? Someone set up a star to shot someone and Peter Falk figures out who done it.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Chris Pistols posted:

Was it a prop cow, a real cow or a live cow?

Was it union?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Soviet Union, yes. Maybe it was a trotskyite cow, I suppose.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Soviet Union

E: loving beaten so bad I’m getting sent to the gulag

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

The broader story here is that you've got strikes and union walkouts across the US. These companies are of course trying to continue on making a buck without their workers and people are getting really hurt, and in this case killed. John Deere forced their middle management to take the place of their rank and file and had an accident that thankfully wasn't fatal. I hope that these sorts of horrible accidents ignite some awareness of the sheer necessity we have for workers rights, and how they've been stripped away to the point some people are in mortal danger at work.

Also, a big gently caress You to Alec Baldwin for continuing to shoot this film while the union labor walked out. For all his piss weak liberal whinnying he's still on set trying to make the film go ahead and swinging unsafe guns around. What a piece of poo poo.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

it should also put into context that rich actors saying they "stand with" the other unions means jack poo poo and they will literally kill you before showing any actual solidarity.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Poohs Packin posted:

The broader story here is that you've got strikes and union walkouts across the US. These companies are of course trying to continue on making a buck without their workers and people are getting really hurt, and in this case killed. John Deere forced their middle management to take the place of their rank and file and had an accident that thankfully wasn't fatal. I hope that these sorts of horrible accidents ignite some awareness of the sheer necessity we have for workers rights, and how they've been stripped away to the point some people are in mortal danger at work.

Also, a big gently caress You to Alec Baldwin for continuing to shoot this film while the union labor walked out. For all his piss weak liberal whinnying he's still on set trying to make the film go ahead and swinging unsafe guns around. What a piece of poo poo.

What penalty would you like to see Mr. Baldwin pay for using what he thought was essentially a safe toy gun in a situation he was quite possibly not aware of because you're mad about labor unions?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Big Beef City posted:

What penalty would you like to see Mr. Baldwin pay for using what he thought was essentially a safe toy gun in a situation he was quite possibly not aware of because you're mad about labor unions?

he shouldnt have stayed on a production after half the crew walked out because the armorer kept accidentally setting off firearms

he co-wrote and produced the loving movie though, so how can you blame him for wanting to protect his investment?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I think that blaming Alec Baldwin, who is probably traumatised for life, is a bit of a stretch.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

he's not solely responsible but he is responsible. people make stupid mistakes all of the time and this was one of them.

he absolutely had the power to prevent this. the idea that the multi-millionaire producer and co-writer of the film could have done nothing after half the crew walked off due to serious safety violations (including multiple negligent discharges!) is loving stupid.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
I like fact that he was told the gun was safe so he shot someone with it just to make sure.

I mean he was told it was safe. Of course he should then be pointing it at and shooting people with it. That’s what it’s for.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I don't understand why you're so blood thirsty to see him pay for this.
"half the crew" is ... an embellishment.
He was 'producer' in name only.
He is not personally responsible to double-check the armorer/safety team's jobs.
What gives, man? Did Alec Baldwin personally slight you at some point? Is this some 'jab at authority' thing? What the gently caress does being 'co-writer' of the script have to do with this accident?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

His job in the scene was to point the gun and pull the trigger and say some lines. He probably wouldn't have the expertise to even judge whether the guy in charge of guns was qualified.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
I just think it’s funny he shot someone and they died and there should be no punishment because he was told the gun was safe.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Big Beef City posted:

I like unions, i dont know what you mean?

Im not out for blood its a real tragedy. I dont think theres really any punitive measures that could be reasonably taken. Maybe charge him with manslaughter?

We will have to see how aware he was of IATSE union members walking off due to unsafe conditions specifically around firearms. My guess is that as a lead actor and producer he was likely acutely aware of these massive issues and said "gently caress it" so they didnt lose any days shooting.

If he thought "This is a toy gun", then sure, but the guy has been around movies and TV long enough to know thats not the case.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

He was a producer and co-writer I dont get why people are acting like he was completely powerless here.

this happened after a series of accidents with the firearms and after the union walked off due to these safety violations. He was aware of this and chose to scab and this resulted in someone dying.

i dont think he should be like charged with anything, but pretty much the entire production should be bankrupted by this.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Poohs Packin posted:

That John Deere thing is so so so stupid. Yeah, just get a bunch of office workers to start driving forklifts on the fly. What can go wrong? I can't believe their insurance is even letting the do that. First thing I would do if I was their insurance carrier is call them stupid idiots

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i hope alex baldwin hangs for this!!

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

punishedkissinger posted:

He was a producer and co-writer I dont get why people are acting like he was completely powerless here.

this happened after a series of accidents with the firearms and after the union walked off due to these safety violations. He was aware of this and chose to scab and this resulted in someone dying.

Yeah, this.

He's a good guy democrat who makes fun of the orange cheeto man but when it comes down to standing up for workplace safety his big fat bottom line was more appealing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i know what "prop" and "live" means now so thank you thread