Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Guns don't kill people. People kill people. With guns.

A pity Mr Alex Baldwin didn't have a rl Liz Lemon to help keep him from loving up.

Also :rip: Show business, it's a dangerous business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

punishedkissinger posted:

He was a producer

In name only. This is common.

quote:

and co-writer

How could this possibly matter?

quote:

this happened after a series of accidents with the firearms
That he was there for? And saw?

quote:

after the union walked off due to these safety violations.

Except that isn't why that particular branch of the union walked off. It was due to lack of pay and accommodations.

quote:

He was aware of this
We don't actually know that, though, that's the thing. With larger stars on smaller sets, often times the only times they are there is when they're they are there to rehearse or shoot scenes, not talk shop around people all day. I don't know what the situation was here, but neither do you.

Look, I'm not trying to be #1 Alec Baldwin Fan Guy over here and frankly I don't know wtf actually happened, but your posts are bloodthirsty and weird.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Big Beef City posted:

Except that isn't why that particular branch of the union walked off. It was due to lack of pay and accommodations.

We don't actually know that, though, that's the thing. With larger stars on smaller sets, often times the only times they are there is when they're they are there to rehearse or shoot scenes, not talk shop around people all day. I don't know what the situation was here, but neither do you.

Look, I'm not trying to be #1 Alec Baldwin Fan Guy over here and frankly I don't know wtf actually happened, but your posts are bloodthirsty and weird.

Baldwin must hang for this fanfiction I wrote in my head about the incident

There is no other choice

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

how the gently caress is it bloodthirsty to be upset at a multimillionaire producer for killing someone while scabbing?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

you seem to be minimising the death of this woman by getting more mad about the union stuff than the accident

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

how the gently caress is it bloodthirsty to be upset at a multimillionaire producer for killing someone while scabbing?

Sounds like the cinematographer and the director shouldn't have been scabbing either.

How is the actor scabbing? It wasn't the actors that walked out lol

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I think you kinda answered your own question there champ

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Caesar Saladin posted:

you seem to be minimising the death of this woman by getting more mad about the union stuff than the accident

if they had listened to the union complaints no one would be dead.

"you seem more caught up in the labor complaints than the deaths of all those women at the shirtwaist factory"

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
all i know is i need to express my opinion IMMEDIATELY

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Mozi posted:

all i know is i need to express my opinion IMMEDIATELY

The Poster's Creed :hmmyes:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

if they had listened to the union complaints no one would be dead.

"you seem more caught up in the labor complaints than the deaths of all those women at the shirtwaist factory"

they didn't walk out because of poor gun safety

there weren't any evil bosses putting bullets in the guns like the locked doors at the shirtwaist factory

what an incredibly dumb comparison

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Has he killed anyone today?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

One of the most frustrating things about the way unions have been shrinking throughout basically my entire lifetime is that now you've got a bunch of idiots who recognize that unions are good, but have absolutely zero experience with them and so just start cargo-culting phrases they recognize like 'scabbing' without understanding exactly what they mean.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Caesar Saladin posted:

yes they did

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2021-10-22/alec-baldwin-rust-camera-crew-walked-off-set

quote:

Safety protocols standard in the industry, including gun inspections, were not strictly followed on the “Rust” set near Santa Fe, the sources said. They said at least one of the camera operators complained last weekend to a production manager about gun safety on the set.

ADVERTISEMENT

Three crew members who were present at the Bonanza Creek Ranch set on Saturday said they were particularly concerned about two accidental prop gun discharges.

Baldwin’s stunt double accidentally fired two rounds Saturday after being told that the gun was “cold” — lingo for a weapon that doesn’t have any ammunition, including blanks — two crew members who witnessed the episode told the Los Angeles Times.

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 23, 2021

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Caesar Saladin posted:

there weren't any evil bosses putting bullets in the guns like the locked doors at the shirtwaist factory

what an incredibly dumb comparison

A spokesperson for the union cited lack of safety meetings as a reason for the walkout, on top of making them drive 50 miles to the set.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

LanceHunter posted:

One of the most frustrating things about the way unions have been shrinking throughout basically my entire lifetime is that now you've got a bunch of idiots who recognize that unions are good, but have absolutely zero experience with them and so just start cargo-culting phrases they recognize like 'scabbing' without understanding exactly what they mean.

AV/post combo

:kiss:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Well alright, fair enough.

I'm still going to say that blaming Alec Baldwin for this is just being hungry for famous blood.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

the armorer is the person most at fault here but every other producer is also responsible to some extent.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

Big Beef City posted:

I like how you (correctly, I might add) criticise him for making assumptions, only to then go right ahead and do the same.

Might well be that he's just a producer in name only, but he also co-wrote the movie and his production company is involved, so maybe not?

As an aside, actors are given instructions on how to safely handle the guns they use. It's kind of wild that they aren't also instructed on how to check that the 'cold' guns they're handed are, in fact, cold.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

lol

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

If you're going to complain about "scabbing" isn't this a net positive event for you? Two "scabs" got shot??

No one should be working without proper safety and I'm a little surprised a seasoned actor wouldn't ask to know that a gun is safe, but I also wouldn't necessarily expect an actor to know how to recognize a gun is/isn't loaded.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

ilmucche posted:

If you're going to complain about "scabbing" isn't this a net positive event for you? Two "scabs" got shot??

No one should be working without proper safety and I'm a little surprised a seasoned actor wouldn't ask to know that a gun is safe, but I also wouldn't necessarily expect an actor to know how to recognize a gun is/isn't loaded.

yes, generally if a person doesn’t approve of something it’s safe to assume they want the perpetrator shot. People who cut in line, people who talk on the phone in the grocery store, tall people who sit in front of me at the movie theater— they should all be shot to death with bullets by Alec Baldwin

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Scherloch posted:

I like how you (correctly, I might add) criticise him for making assumptions, only to then go right ahead and do the same.

...by literally saying "I don't know what happened and neither do you". Great take. You really got me this time.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

the DP choosing to keep working is wayyyyy more sympathetic than Baldwin too. Like, I get it, they dont have a ton of experience in the industry and theyre trying to have a career. It wasnt the right choice but I understand and empathize. By contrast, Baldwin is a multimillionaire with an established career and a ton of sway.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

the DP choosing to keep working is wayyyyy more sympathetic than Baldwin too. Like, I get it, they dont have a ton of experience in the industry and theyre trying to have a career. It wasnt the right choice but I understand and empathize. By contrast, Baldwin is a multimillionaire with an established career and a ton of sway.

So it, quite literally, is just you being mad at rich people, then. Got it.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

yes, generally if a person doesn’t approve of something it’s safe to assume they want the perpetrator shot. People who cut in line, people who talk on the phone in the grocery store, tall people who sit in front of me at the movie theater— they should all be shot to death with bullets by Alec Baldwin

alec baldwin is a man on a rampage, filled with insatiable bloodlust, a homicidal maniac hellbent on killing all who have grieved the posters in this thread, and i am responding by putting a bounty of

one. thousand. dollars.

on his head, dead or alive, payable in gold doubloons, to mollify and pacify this thread and to once and for all put an end to alec baldwins ruthless, sanguinary spree

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Big Beef City posted:

So it, quite literally, is just you being mad at rich people, then. Got it.

Yes, rich people cut corners and that lead to a woman being killed. a normal human reaction to this would be anger. Im glad you can parse this.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

he's not solely responsible but he is responsible. people make stupid mistakes all of the time and this was one of them.

he absolutely had the power to prevent this. the idea that the multi-millionaire producer and co-writer of the film could have done nothing after half the crew walked off due to serious safety violations (including multiple negligent discharges!) is loving stupid.

the director wrote it, not Alec Baldwin

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

Big Beef City posted:

...by literally saying "I don't know what happened and neither do you". Great take. You really got me this time.

I was referring to this here:

Big Beef City posted:

He was 'producer' in name only.

Big Beef City posted:

It's an assumption presented as a fact (twice.)

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I’m a scab armorer. You got a nasty scab on your body, I’ll fit it for a suit of tiny armor!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Yes, rich people cut corners and that lead to a woman being killed. a normal human reaction to this would be anger. Im glad you can parse this.

What if the rich people paid the armorer more so that the job was done correctly and in the process made THEM rich

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

If live rounds were present at all on this set - much less loaded into a firearm and left sitting around - the armorer is extremely at fault. Especially if the claim about multiple negligent discharges taking place earlier is true. Criminal negligence here at best.

Baldwin is at least somewhat at fault too because you should never, ever be pointing a gun at somebody and pulling the trigger. Even if you "know" it's not loaded. Especially if you think it has blanks in it. Extra especially if you didn't even have to do it and were loving around.

The other producers and managers are also absolutely at fault if their staff complained about dumb, unsafe poo poo being done with the firearms on set and they chose to ignore it.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 23, 2021

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Look nobody knows how aware or close to the production he was but when hes a producer, co writer, and actor on a smaller budget film it seems a reasonable assumption he would have known about the walk out, police being called on the walk out, reasons for it, etc.

The fact that its up for debate is indicative of the fact that his culpability is directly tied to it. Obviously he wasnt expecting to kill anyone, but THATS THE REASON for worker protections. The management does not take safety seriously as they are the least likely to be directly affected.

Obviously movies have to make money. I think its reasonable to be mad that someone was killed because of a series of missteps and decisions that were motivated by profit. Hollywood gazillionaires arent exactly known for being great people. Im surprised anyone would care to defend them at all.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Im been hearing about this on the radio and they wont mention the non union workers, probably scared that Alec will go after them next

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

The producers, which includes Alec Baldwin, chose to ignore repeated concerns about gun safety from the crew and decided that it was ok to cut corners and that their money was more important than having a safe set. Now a person is dead because of it. He and the rest of the higher-ups are totally at fault for having an unsafe set and allowing it to continue. The fact that he was the one who pulled the trigger isn't really relevant, it could have been anyone and it would still be the producers fault.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i have also specifically said i dont think Baldwin is criminally culpable or anything. I just think he's an rear end in a top hat who helped create the dangerous situation. I dont get how that makes me blood-thirsty.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

Warbadger posted:

If live rounds were present at all on this set - much less loaded into a firearm and left sitting around - the armorer is extremely at fault. Especially if the claim about multiple negligent discharges taking place earlier is true. Criminal negligence here at best.

Baldwin is at least somewhat at fault too because you should never, ever be point a gun at somebody and pulling the trigger. Even if you know it's not loaded. Especially if you think it has blanks in it. Extra especially if you didn't even have to do it and were loving around.

The other producers and managers are also absolutely at fault if their staff complained about dumb, unsafe poo poo being done with the firearms on set and they chose to ignore it.

Yeah, even if he isn't criminally responsible, he's guilty of being an idiot. They have replica guns to use when they're practicing cool gun moves or are supposed to aim at others.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Big Beef City posted:

the millionaire defender has logged on

Jack-in-the-Bach
Oct 15, 2005

When the media latches on to the big name involved, that's bad. When I do it though, that's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Lucky Guy posted:

the millionaire defender has logged on

No, I'm actually.... Mr. ....Snrub, from someplace......Far away.