Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
The Mookies are coming from inside the comic :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Superfluous use of "inside", but yes.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

FlocksOfMice posted:

Mookie is fighting the urge to have Mookie breastfeed from her in some weird non-sexual sexual kink disaster.

Mookie must have a huge anime backlog if he only just got around to that series.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

After yet another damp fart of an update, I must bravely step in to provide content to Mookie's starving fans

Chapter 24: Around the World Part 4: Olde Tucklebruck Island

Let me start by saying that this is probably the most Mookie name in the entirety of DD canon. I absolutely hate it. From the superfluous old-timey e, to the nonsense sound, to the total lack of questioning as to who exactly would call it this, given that it is populated by two separate fantasy races that have up until this point never been seen anywhere else in the comic, is Mookie is most lazy and rear end-pully.

Compounding the feeling of this trip around the world being a trip around a Disneyland style amusement park/fantasy zoo, we come to the island who's shtick is that it makes beer. One thing that I find funny is that it says that this island has nature trails and parks, tours of the mountain, etc. but we have absolutely no idea by the end of it how the people of the island govern themselves or how their society functions outside of getting drunk in pubs. This was obviously a point where Mookie was belatedly jumping on the craft beer bandwagon, and like most of his others supposed passions, he gets it spectacularly wrong in his descriptions.

I don't even know how to describe the view of the island that we get this perfectly conical mountain of lumpy mashed potatoes, set against a background of looming black spikes on the horizon. How could you look at this and think it looks like anything close to a landscape. Even by my younger, more relaxed standards I remember finding this drawing particularly bad

Of course, once again Mookie's self-inserts have to be the super special hipsters who go off the beaten path, to a tavern so literally named the out-of-the-way tavern, and even that wasn't enough special for Mookie. No, Luna has to go all last samurai on these beer drinking hobbits and out-hipsters them on their own stupid, presumably very hoppy/bitter craft beer nonsense. Also love Luna's awful pedantry, making her seem to suggest that the best temperature to drink beer is warm, because by her logic that would contain the most flavours. Nothing I like more than room temperature beer.

It's petty, but I'm annoyed that the wood grain texture of the table is exactly the same as the wood grain texture of the mug.

At the risk of being a different kind of beer pedant, hops are not in beer for "a kick". Hops were first added to beer by European monasteries and nunneries, being first recorded by Hildegard of Bingen, as a method of stabilizing and preserving the beer for longer-term storage. While the bittering effect (and general flavouring) was definetly part of why hops are used, the worst thing craft beer producers do is add a poo poo-ton of hops to hide what is otherwise a terrible beer. If you think you enjoy a beer so bitter it gives you a kick from it, you're wrong and/or have terrible tastebuds.

Also, I don't think Mookie knows what malt is. Malt refers to sprouted grains, in particular here to sprouted barley which is what is used to brew malt beverages. Malt liquor is a strong beer made by adding extra sugars to the malted barley to increase the achohol content after fermentation. It is not a component of beer afterwards, as the grains themselves have been removed during the brewing process after it's been mashed and steeped to get the sugars out. A "malty" beverage is a sweet one where some of the sugars have been retained. I don't know what he thinks he's saying in that fourth panel.

Mookie also doesn't understand that beer is not loving wine and should not be drunk 20 years after bottling! I know that there are some types of beers that can be barrel-aged, but I'll be honest I would be super shocked if anyone came up and said that there was a type of beer that would be recommended drinking after two decades. It would have to be extremely high in alcohol content. Also mixing beer with a bunch of liquors sounds like exactly the wrong way to make something tasty. Gross.

I love Mookie's idea that all you have to do to not get drunk after binge drinking is to eat some food. You can tell that Mookie, at least at this point in his life, wasn't drinking often and didn't really have an understanding of alcohol. Everything is like a teenager's understanding of what drinking beer is like.

Oh NO, HERE COMES THE JOCK! And he's out to commit sexual assault! As always Mookie is about as subtle as a brick. I also love that halflings are totally fine with being called racial slurs, there just an accommodating people to these tourists who come to their land for whatever reason. Tuck Island must be pretty depended on those Callanian tourist dollars.

Here is your moment of feminist empowerment for this arc, friends!

Meanwhile, Dominic is at build-a-bear like the manchild he is. I love the fact that Mookie thinks that the only thing that could try people to this island is either alcohol or the most kitschy tourist crap ever. Mass produced teddybaars! Add other cultures to the things Mookie approaches like an ignorant teenager

Honestly if Snout looked like this I would be more invested in a comic. It's still just stolen from DND, and he doesn't do an excellent job of showing skin patterns, but at least Bort comes off as suitably alien and strange to fit in the description in a way that snout doesn't

I guess halflings don't get lower back issues. Come on Mookie, you hypocrite! Having Luna be the commenter doesn't fix it either!

I had forgotten about the name "Buckly Hussle". I can't remember for sure but I'm pretty sure the character is named after Tim Buckley of CAD fame.

Here it comes!

Another one of the classic DD panels, Dominic finally getting his comeuppance for being such a smug bastard was a breath of fresh air when people saw it. Everything about it is great, from the expression on both their faces, to the sense of motion, to the little joke of the female dwarves also having beards. It's actually interesting to think about to that, as jokey as this moment is, it does actually represent Dominic suffering in a sense. I really don't think Mookie would ever do something like this to Snout now, or even subject them to the same Looney Tunes antics he did at the beginning of legacy. As derivative and problematic as DD was, can still tell that Mookie really wanted to tell a story with it. Now, it really does feel like what Mookie is getting out of the legacy is some sort of

I also remember that at the time people obviously guessed correctly that Luna was just pulling her illusion trick again, so he had to think fast.

I actually sort of like this development, or I would if not for a few things. The stakes are raised and then negated in a humurous way that fits with the theme and is well-timed. The only thing is that all of a sudden you notice that Buckley actually has a black eye and a swollen face, so the violence goes from being cartoony to real, and it's not funny anymore. And it ends with another one of Mookie's trademark alliterative panels, which only he finds entertaining or funny. And of course Luna's being praised again. We were on the same page Mookie for about five seconds before you squandered it

All I can do here is roll my eyes so much at Luna's holier than though attitude about not drinking to much on her beer island tour. That's a thing that really sticks with me from here, is that despite Mookie obviously knowing very little to nothing about actual beer, he still writes a story where his character can be smugly superior.

In a sign that their relationship is actually not true love but a codependent mess, Dominic and Luna exploded into almost violent confrontation out of nowhere because Luna cannot stop herself from being a miserable sadsack, while Dominic remains a self-centred narcissist. Again the focus on employment, as if that's actually a problem that they would face given Dominic's family. But there is an important line in here actually. In the six panel Mookie says Luna is "only really happy when [she's] miserable". This theme will come back in the next biome they visit, which is the underwater city of the Qualenti (instead of the sort of above water city of the Naga). Luna is going to have an extremely strange nighttime adventure that ends with the conclusion that she is again, really only happy when she can be miserable about something. The comic then does a quick 180 and has Dominic explain how that is totally not the case and that Luna is a strong, independent woman. But that was because of backlash from fans. I really think that Mookie wanted to write a story where Luna was called out for some strange reason. I'm genuinly not sure where the impulse came from. It's not even wrong, except for excluding Dominic's half of their little dysfuntional codependent two step. Just a really strange thing to notice looking back, that Mookie wanted this is an idea for Luna.

And then there's this, where Mookie once again reveals that he doesn't know how people work. Even the phrase "turn that strength on each other" feels weird and wrong. Mookie is trying to imply that Dominic and Lunahave a passionate connection, but nothing about the set up of their relationship so far has actually shown that in any way. Quite the opposite in fact, their relationship actually seem to exist in sort of a soft boy snuggling level until Mookie took the chance this arc to underline how much sex there two are having. There's an immaturity to the way Mookie is presenting their relationship here, that really shows is still extremely uncomfortable with sexuality as a grown man, even though he's the one who wants to include in his comic. Again, it's like a younger teenager communicating his sheltered views on grown-up things, except Mookie was a grown rear end man by this point.

Next up: Mookie really cannot draw people in swinsuits!

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 23, 2021

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Welp, now that we've seen Crotch-Punching Dwarf we've peaked. Dominic Deegan is all downhill from here.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

"hi im mookie and id like to introduce this race i created, one of their racial characteristics is they're fine with you using racial slurs"

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Beelzebufo posted:

Also love Luna's awful pedantry, making her seem to suggest that the best temperature to drink beer is warm, because by her logic that would contain the most flavours. Nothing I like more than room temperature beer.

But now in foreign lands, they've been known to drink Not So Cold Ones, Room Temperature Ones, and even Warm Ones. But where I come from, it's CUH-HOLD ONES. Though I have to admit, on certain evenings in late spring, a Cool One can be very refreshing.

Anyway much like how books are just a symbol of Good and jocks don't like books proving they are Bad, and what's in the books doesn't matter, it's just the fact that they are books, craft beer is the same for Mookie. He doesn't need to know anything about beer, and what's in the beer doesn't even matter, all that matters is craft beer is Good, and jocks are unable to appreciate it, which is why they are Bad. And I mean yeah, American lagers are really lovely beers, but they're generally cheap and widely available which is why they're popular. It's still just Mookie going "I appreciate beer on a much deeper level than you" since as you mentioned, he gets details wrong about it.

Also yeah I like how Mookie misunderstands things like "Drinking beer on an empty stomach isn't a good idea" and turns it into "As long as you eat food you won't get drunk," as if people have just never thought to eat food with beer before.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Twelve by Pies posted:

But now in foreign lands, they've been known to drink Not So Cold Ones, Room Temperature Ones, and even Warm Ones. But where I come from, it's CUH-HOLD ONES. Though I have to admit, on certain evenings in late spring, a Cool One can be very refreshing.

Anyway much like how books are just a symbol of Good and jocks don't like books proving they are Bad, and what's in the books doesn't matter, it's just the fact that they are books, craft beer is the same for Mookie. He doesn't need to know anything about beer, and what's in the beer doesn't even matter, all that matters is craft beer is Good, and jocks are unable to appreciate it, which is why they are Bad. And I mean yeah, American lagers are really lovely beers, but they're generally cheap and widely available which is why they're popular. It's still just Mookie going "I appreciate beer on a much deeper level than you" since as you mentioned, he gets details wrong about it.

Also yeah I like how Mookie misunderstands things like "Drinking beer on an empty stomach isn't a good idea" and turns it into "As long as you eat food you won't get drunk," as if people have just never thought to eat food with beer before.

Yeah, I mean I realize I was being an awful craft beer person there in my post too, but it's so ridiculous to spend an entire strip detailing how "learned" his waifu is in craft beverages, only to get all the details wrong. It's the feigning of culture and refinement that he has everywhere in his work. Even his metal head stuff seems more like this than a sincere hobby. It's like everything he does is permeated with this streak of narcissism where he has to establish how much better than the Jocks he is.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Genuinely laughed out loud at this panel. It's perfect.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Libra posted:

Genuinely laughed out loud at this panel. It's perfect.

Its hilarious to see this kind of fashion in a fantasy comic

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
This update:

Two updates ago:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Bismuth posted:

Its hilarious to see this kind of fashion in a fantasy comic

Another thing that pisses me off about DD is Dominic is just wearing jeans, a jumper and a loving scarf :effort:

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Moola posted:

Another thing that pisses me off about DD is Dominic is just wearing jeans, a jumper and a loving scarf :effort:

I assumed that maybe Mookie just didnt know that jeans were a relatively new invention, like it somehow escaped his mind since they're just pants, but he has to know that sports jerseys are modern

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

The best part is that the random drunk Jock isn't even just a jock, he explicitly has to be wearing a jersey showing he's a fan of the lovely rapist jock from earlier. All Jocks is the same.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
fun fact: blue jeans were patented in 1873

they are anachronistic in DD, but would not be anachronistic in Bram Stoker's Dracula

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Lunatic Sledge posted:

but would not be anachronistic in Bram Stoker's Dracula

Well, it would be anachronistic for any of the main cast to wear them as they're all snooty upper class people

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I still cannot get over Mookie's bizarre fascination with racial slurs. Why does he keep coming back to them as a thing?

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Mors Rattus posted:

I still cannot get over Mookie's bizarre fascination with racial slurs. Why does he keep coming back to them as a thing?

His world view is there is never gray. Bad guys are bad and therefore do bad stuff. Mookie isn't racist only bad people are racist. So every bad character is racist openly and often

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah but like he doesn't seem to understand why racial slurs are bad, or even that they necessarily are bad.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
DD was written by a white male in the 2000s, you'd be hard pressed to find something that fits that description that doesnt have some kind of slurs in it. Its not that big of a mystery

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I still can't get over the fact that when Mookie profiled his alien races in Star Power he helpfully included each race's most prominent slur.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yeah it used to be (still is?) a thing for writers to think their work was more nuanced and mature if it was filled with made-up slurs for the setting's made-up minorities.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Bismuth posted:

DD was written by a white male in the 2000s, you'd be hard pressed to find something that fits that description that doesnt have some kind of slurs in it. Its not that big of a mystery

A lot of stuff just had the r-word or slurs for gay dudes casually thrown around, it's just how the early internet was. Hell, not even just the internet, a little while back in the Switch thread someone posted a screenshot from the Grandia HD collection (though it was in the original Grandia as well) of Sue using the r-word in a conversation, and another where it got used in Popful Mail. Pretty sure it was in the Lunar games at least once, maybe twice, too.

Mookie's a bit different though, like in Grandia you're not supposed to think Sue is a horrible person for using that word, you're supposed to just laugh at it because she's making a joke about how stupid someone is. Mookie on the other hand always uses slurs as a way to indicate "This character is bad and you should not like them." This is probably part of why Mookie got mad and couldn't understand why people liked Siggy. He used the bad word to refer to orcs, how could you like him? He's very clearly a bad person!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bismuth posted:

Well, it would be anachronistic for any of the main cast to wear them as they're all snooty upper class people

You are CRIMINALLY forgetting the literal Texan cowboy.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Midnight Voyager posted:

…named Quincy.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Midnight Voyager posted:

Oh gently caress off

Mors Rattus posted:

…named Quincy.

gently caress OFF

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Getting drained of my lifeforce by a vampire in raw denim

and then he bites my neck

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Dracula would be a thousand times cooler if he was wearing a denim cape.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Getting drained of my lifeforce by a vampire in raw denim

and then he bites my neck

Lol

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Dracula is a really great spooky book but I'm now going to forever picture everyone wearing jeans because that's hilarious.

Especially Dracula.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Pulsarcat posted:

dracula is a natural japester

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Moola posted:

Oh gently caress off

gently caress OFF

He's the guy who actually kills Dracula, you can't forget Quincey Morris!

(he does it with a Bowie knife)

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 23, 2021

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Pulsarcat posted:

Dracula didn't actually have an evil plan until Johnathan Harker made fun of his jorts.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
dracula wears jncos

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Of course, the thing is that even before blue jeans were patented, people were wearing work pants made of coarse cloth, like canvas.

That doesn't mean I'm giving Dominic a pass.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
I'm honestly still not over, 'This race is totally okay with racial slurs'.

It's living in my brain, rent-free.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Twelve by Pies posted:

A lot of stuff just had the r-word or slurs for gay dudes casually thrown around, it's just how the early internet was. Hell, not even just the internet, a little while back in the Switch thread someone posted a screenshot from the Grandia HD collection (though it was in the original Grandia as well) of Sue using the r-word in a conversation, and another where it got used in Popful Mail. Pretty sure it was in the Lunar games at least once, maybe twice, too.

Mookie's a bit different though, like in Grandia you're not supposed to think Sue is a horrible person for using that word, you're supposed to just laugh at it because she's making a joke about how stupid someone is. Mookie on the other hand always uses slurs as a way to indicate "This character is bad and you should not like them." This is probably part of why Mookie got mad and couldn't understand why people liked Siggy. He used the bad word to refer to orcs, how could you like him? He's very clearly a bad person!

To be honest, I almost kind of find Mookie's handling of slurs more problematic and offensive than the way we - by which I mean culture at large, although SA and myself are by no means blameless - used to casually use some of them.
When Tifa calls someone the R-word in Final Fantasy 7, it's being done because that's just how people wrote and talked back then, and we are clearly not meant to interpret her as some kind of bigot. But like Mookie is trying to have it all ways. The way he has his villains gleefully engage in the use of slurs betrays the fact he is aware that slurs are unacceptable - he is implicitly using slurs as part of a narrative shorthand for villainy (much in the same way he uses visual indications of being a jock as visual shorthand for petty villainy) but he's also clearly, as an author, taking a perverse joy in using and detailing them. Tarantino and his use of the N-Word kind of comes to mind, here. It's hard to articulate, at least for me, and lord knows that depiction is not necessarily endorsement, but I think we can all agree that the way Mookie handles the use of slurs - even by villains against other people - is deeply problematic and suggests a sort of perverse joy like a small child who's just discovered the power of saying 'gently caress.'
And further damning is that, yeah, you have poo poo like Mookie Prime and Brian trading pejoratives or the fact that Halflings are just totally chill with being called slurs. Mookie is simultaniously trying to tell us he's better than the general cultural status quo and aware of the power of words and the fact that slurs are never acceptable, but he's also implicitly telling us - in the same loving story arc - that actually slurs are only slurs when you put actual venom behind them, and besides it's all just words and look the Halflings don't even give a gently caress about it.

Like unlike the writers of FF7 or Grandia (not that I played the latter) or even your average person of the early 2000s, Mookie has made it unambiguous he knows that using slurs is wrong. He knows what he's doing is wrong, but he does it anyway. He doesn't have the 'excuse' of myopic ignorance that even others had back then. He's made it clear to us he knows better.

EDIT: I suppose, just thinking on it, a TL;DR would be that Mookie is showing us that he at once put some thought into how slurs work, but also put no thought into them.

RoboChrist 9000 fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 24, 2021

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

GreenMetalSun posted:

I'm honestly still not over, 'This race is totally okay with racial slurs'.

It's living in my brain, rent-free.

This is attributable to Mookie being a textbook example of a shitlib/centrist. Like with the green elves/pink elves war in "Star Power," he's one of those people with terminal :decorum: poisoning for whom the ultimate crime is not genocide, slavery, or putting the other color elves in prison camps, but in being Angry about it and calling the oppressive elves Slurs.

Basically he's like a bad moderator on a forum like reddit or tvtropes who will not ban a chud for saying a slur, but will ban someone for calling them out for saying a slur. "Gee whillickers, I know saying [slur] isn't okay, but that doesn't give you the right to be Uppity about it!"

You see, he wants us to think of the halflings as Good Guys. And what makes someone Good? Why, never getting angry, of course, regardless of context. That means when filthy JOCKS call them slurs, they just happily shuck and jive so they can continue taking in those sweet sweet tourist dollars from the colonizing human Callanians they desperately need to survive. Nothing suspect going on here.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

To be honest, I almost kind of find Mookie's handling of slurs more problematic and offensive than the way we - by which I mean culture at large, although SA and myself are by no means blameless - used to casually use some of them.
When Tifa calls someone the R-word in Final Fantasy 7, it's being done because that's just how people wrote and talked back then, and we are clearly not meant to interpret her as some kind of bigot. But like Mookie is trying to have it all ways. The way he has his villains gleefully engage in the use of slurs betrays the fact he is aware that slurs are unacceptable - he is implicitly using slurs as part of a narrative shorthand for villainy (much in the same way he uses visual indications of being a jock as visual shorthand for petty villainy) but he's also clearly, as an author, taking a perverse joy in using and detailing them. Tarantino and his use of the N-Word kind of comes to mind, here. It's hard to articulate, at least for me, and lord knows that depiction is not necessarily endorsement, but I think we can all agree that the way Mookie handles the use of slurs - even by villains against other people - is deeply problematic and suggests a sort of perverse joy like a small child who's just discovered the power of saying 'gently caress.'
This is a good way of looking at it. Even amongst Tarantino fans, there's definitely a continuum of use dependent on context, like how in "Django Unchained," one might argue the villainous racist characters use slurs to show how evil they are, whereas that one line in "Reservoir Dogs," which has no black characters depicted onscreen in it, is clearly gratuitous and doesn't need to be there to tell us anything about Mr. Pink's character.

Mookie's slurs are much the same way and as we know from interviews, blog posts, etc, he is unironically very proud of the slurs he "came up with," especially for orcs, where he just added some letters to the n-slur, but that's his go-to for any worldbuilding element, like mavpel.

quote:

And further damning is that, yeah, you have poo poo like Mookie Prime and Brian trading pejoratives or the fact that Halflings are just totally chill with being called slurs. Mookie is simultaniously trying to tell us he's better than the general cultural status quo and aware of the power of words and the fact that slurs are never acceptable, but he's also implicitly telling us - in the same loving story arc - that actually slurs are only slurs when you put actual venom behind them, and besides it's all just words and look the Halflings don't even give a gently caress about it.
Yeah, he's unironically defending the point that slurs don't count if you say "just kidding" afterwards. Or for the Mookies in the comic, we the audience know they are pure of heart and their intentions are good, so it's ok when they say bad things about fat people, orcs, wolfmen, etc, they don't actually mean it like a jock character would.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

I think you're on to soemthing, but I feel like this ties into the broader narcisscism that Mookie exhibits. The underlying feeling I get is that his progressive politics, like his self professed nerdity, his "fandoms" like beer or metal music that he seems very disconnected from in reality, or even his artistic endeavours all come from a desire to place himself as seperate and better than his perceived inferiors (let's call them the JOCKS).

With the slurs, I don't think he's dwelt long on why slurs are bad or what they represent in terms of power assymetries in societies. He knows that good people don't use them, but he hasn't hought about why a slur like "cracker" isn't the same as the r-word or the n-word. That's the real tricky part of language, is that the language itself is a reflection of politics and power, and Mookie has shown over and over that he doesn't really take time to think deeply on those subjects. Instead, he still sees it throught the lense of bullying JOCKS. So yes, he has a fundamental immaturity, and especially misses that he can't use slurs without feeding in to real societal power structures.

As bad as the orc one was, the one he uses in A-Nimel House is much worse, so much so that I don't actually feel comfortable retyping, given how close it is to the actual word. That's when I really started thinking that Mookie was enjoying taboo-breaking via his villains in his comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
That's interesting. That certainly makes sense.

At times, it seems like he thinks of slurs as like, just another kind of profanity/Bad Word.

Yeah, you know what, while the werewolf slur doesn't come up as much as the orc one, it is definitely worse. It also brings in all the weird unnecessary textual eugenics stuff to bear. I am not looking forward to that arc.