Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

punishedkissinger posted:

i have also specifically said i dont think Baldwin is criminally culpable or anything. I just think he's an rear end in a top hat who helped create the dangerous situation. I dont get how that makes me blood-thirsty.

But he didn't mean to and he probably feels really bad about it! I don't know if this is a John Landis and the Twilight Zone situation where he was also breaking a bunch of laws, or if this was all technically legal but obviously dangerous and a bad idea. Either way, if you help to create a dangerous situation that goes against established practices and let it continue despite concerns and then something bad happens as a result of it, then yeah you are at least partially at fault and should be held responsible. Doesn't matter how bad you feel about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Jack-in-the-Bach posted:

When the media latches on to the big name involved, that's bad. When I do it though, that's good.

this movie most likely would not have been made without him being attached to it. the idea that he was just a tragic bystander is so whack.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

wow calling woman cinematographers "it"... that's a new low for gbs. maybe take it to the conservative opinions thread?

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

wow calling woman cinematographers "it"... that's a new low for gbs. maybe take it to the conservative opinions thread?
booooooo

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
what a typical gun idiot gently caress up

shooting live rounds off between sets like a cigarette break

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

this movie most likely would not have been made without him being attached to it. the idea that he was just a tragic bystander is so whack.

In fact, had he never been born, this may not have happened at all!!!

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Did you know that by having seen Beetlejuice and The Departed, you are also guilty by extension.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Big Beef City posted:

In fact, had he never been born, this may not have happened at all!!!

kill all the baldwins as penance imo

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

does her husband get to shoot alec now?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Is this a case of a common set term, "live round" being reported wrong or does the recent search warrant actually mean this armorer put a live bullet in a prop gun and left it sitting around.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
Live round could refer to a blank. Is this movie dead now?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Cinematography seems easy, should let me step in and help finish the movie

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

pentyne posted:

Is this a case of a common set term, "live round" being reported wrong or does the recent search warrant actually mean this armorer put a live bullet in a prop gun and left it sitting around.

it went clean through the DP and hit the director so almost certainly a bullet and not wadding or wax.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

pentyne posted:

Probably a classic case of someone taking the magazine out of a gun... but not removing the round in the chamber...

The armorer seems to be entirely at fault here. Alec Baldwin doesn't really deserve much of the blame he is getting here really. People are focused on him being a producer, but that doesn't mean much on a movie set... If you put some money into a movie, you can be a producer but won't get to make any decisions... probably just being the big name on the cast will get you a producer credit...

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Probably a classic case of someone taking the magazine out of a gun... but not removing the round in the chamber...

The armorer seems to be entirely at fault here. Alec Baldwin doesn't really deserve much of the blame he is getting here really. People are focused on him being a producer, but that doesn't mean much on a movie set... If you put some money into a movie, you can be a producer but won't get to make any decisions... probably just being the big name on the cast will get you a producer credit...

It's was a revolver.

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000
The Armorer, identified only as T. Lazuto, was quoted as saying “Hello”.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

#LockHimUp

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Scherloch posted:

It's an assumption presented as a fact (twice.)

as far as I can tell this entire argument on both sides is assumption presented without fact.

like people keep posting "why did Alec point a gun at someone and shoot" when we have seemingly zero information about what they were filming, what he was supposed to do in the shot, etc

I'll gladly blame Alec Baldwin when we have more than a piss trickle of leaked info about what happened

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Reminder that alec balwin once explained turbulence to a stewardess. She knows what it is you patronizing dick

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

wizardofloneliness posted:

The producers, which includes Alec Baldwin, chose to ignore repeated concerns about gun safety from the crew and decided that it was ok to cut corners and that their money was more important than having a safe set. Now a person is dead because of it. He and the rest of the higher-ups are totally at fault for having an unsafe set and allowing it to continue. The fact that he was the one who pulled the trigger isn't really relevant, it could have been anyone and it would still be the producers fault.

criminal negligence
manslaughter

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

boop the snoot posted:

I was combat arms and did hundreds and hundreds (maybe thousands) of hours at various ranges. Different MOSs, different ranks. Some of the dumbest people walking the earth. When I would range safety, I would constantly worry that some dipshit LT would flag the firing line (which happened a LOT — and mostly with lower level officers) and put one in the guy next to him.

We even has a guy ND the loving 50 cal in Afghanistan over the brigade commander’s office.

And even then, I never saw two NDs in 48 hours. Not even by two different people.

Three NDs in as many days does seem like criminal negligence, yeah

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I don’t care about them taking away Alec Baldwin’s guns, I’m worried they’ll try to take Quentin Tarantino’s guns away.

True, if they give Tarantino access to CGI gun technology he'll just use it to make a movie about female assassins who fire bullets out of their feet.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Nooner posted:

And they wonder why they only make 80 cents to the dollar that men do. :allears:

lol

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

We’re forgetting the most important thing, there’s no such thing as bad publicity. Before this tragedy I had never heard of Rust.

Makes you think.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I assume it's a video game adaptation bc whenever I join a Rust server someone immediately shoots me

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
Negligent homicide or viral marketing ploy? :shrug:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Maybe the media should stop spreading the name of the production that murdered one crew member and injured another. All this national press coverage will encourage copycat studios to enact similar crimes. And we in this thread must acknowledge our own culpability.

Kale
May 14, 2010

I would wait for more information and a full proper investigation before trying to make a definitive declarative statement about culpability, but if it's someones job to make sure a prop is safe, they tell an actor the prop is safe and ready to use and they then use the prop and it's not safe and somebody dies cause of it than it sounds like the culpable person is the one whose job is to be an expert and make sure the prop was safe and it wasn't. That's strictly as things stand with what is publicly known, but of course people are gonna have some weird hot takes before the full investigation is complete because it's Alec Baldwin that was the actor in question who a lot of people have very strong feelings about one way or another for various reasons.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

it has been pretty credibly sourced that there were multiple gun safety incidents before this and at least half a dozen members of the camera crew walked off because of safety concerns. i'm sure other details will come up but that seems like enough evidence that the producers of this film hosed up deeply and are responsible here.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

Maybe the media should stop spreading the name of the production that murdered one crew member and injured another. All this national press coverage will encourage copycat studios to enact similar crimes. And we in this thread must acknowledge our own culpability.

lol

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Im seeing reports that from the search warrents served by the NM police, there was a set of 3 guns on a table, the assistant director grabbed one and yelled "cold gun" to tell everyone it was unloaded, then handed it to Alec Baldwin, who then proceeded to aim at the camera and pull the trigger for the scene, which then fired the live, no poo poo bullet that was loaded into the gun.

I don't know what his role as a producer was, but that AD and the armorer for sure are going to face some serious charges.

Same armorer is being quoted as from previous interviews talking about how she was never really able to load blanks properly and always had to ask her dad to help.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 23, 2021

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Paramedics don't even cost that much to hire, they really should have had one on set.

GuitarJunkie
Sep 8, 2004

"Boy, have we got a vacation for you."
Hollywood nepotism catches a fat L on this one:

quote:

Gutierrez-Reed, the 24-year-old daughter of veteran Hollywood armorer Thell Reed, said on the Voices Of The West podcast that Rust was only her second film as a head armorer.

She had just finished shooting the movie "The Old Way" with Clint Howard and Nicolas Cage. "It was a really badass way to start off a really long and cool career," she said on the podcast.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

quote:

"It was a really badass way to start off a really long and cool career," she said on the podcast.

literally loled irl

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Alec Baldwin was drunk on set and specifically said "I love the fact that you're using live ammo between takes and I'm keeping all this extra money we're saving by kicking the Unions off set and I can't wait to shoot this bitch for being a woman in this industry" and then he did it and frankly I find that problematic

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Aardvark! posted:

literally loled irl

lol it's like they had premonitions of the future and were setting up for a top tier shitpost

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
so was she non-union?

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Paramedics don't even cost that much to hire, they really should have had one on set.
Yeah this is the part I was wondering about, aren't there any rules on having first aid/medics on scene for productions of a certain size? Like I've worked in retail stores in cities were we were required by law to have a certain number of people certified in a certain level of first aid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Trapick posted:

Yeah this is the part I was wondering about, aren't there any rules on having first aid/medics on scene for productions of a certain size? Like I've worked in retail stores in cities were we were required by law to have a certain number of people certified in a certain level of first aid

What level of certification do you think is needed for "Alec Baldwin just shot this lady in the loving face" that compares to having a dude at walmart that's trained to call 911 when Becky has a seizure again?