Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

McNally posted:

The douchebags are the people in New York City and Long Island restricting gun ownership statewide.

Restricting gun ownership for poor people, specifically. If you’re rich/connected enough, there’s no problem getting a permit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bored As gently caress posted:

NYC will still make it expensive and difficult, and most upstate counties that are may issue almost always give out unrestricted (CCW) permits. It's only the city and Long Island that are the big douchebags.

I wonder though if it’ll turn into something closer to DC? I know you can use self-defense as a reason now for a carry permits

Also I’ve gone through a bunch of those packets and even the Hills have eyes county places in upstate NY are really really over the top with what they ask you.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

My city (DC) has more or less completely turned over traffic enforcement to its system of automated speed and red light cameras. You have to hit the winning combination of 1. Seriously loving up 2. loving up directly in front of a cop and 3. The cop seeing it and deciding to pull you over. A year ago I almost got hit while in a crosswalk by a car making an illegal left turn- right in front of two DC cops- and when I threw my hands up in the universal “yo what the gently caress” gesture one of them just shrugged.

I’m still in favor of traffic enforcement being moved away from police, and I understand why no-chase policies exist. I’m more lamenting why there seems to be a societal trend toward so many people thinking they can act like a self-entitled sociopath with impunity.

Best Friends posted:

The massive increases in people starting fights on airplanes, and anecdotally seeing in real life a former friend flip out for no reason and disown all her friends including her best friend of like 20 years, has got me thinking that either covid, pandemic isolation, or both is doing something to damage people in a way that increases anger.

I sometimes wonder if there isn’t some weird neurological component to COVID that makes people want to start fights, eschew masks and get in people’s faces to spread the virus even more.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I wonder though if it’ll turn into something closer to DC? I know you can use self-defense as a reason now for a carry permits

Also I’ve gone through a bunch of those packets and even the Hills have eyes county places in upstate NY are really really over the top with what they ask you.

DC is de facto shall issue once you jump through a bunch of hoops, including 16 hours of range time and a significant delay since their firearms registration section is understaffed and perpetually backed up. They dropped the “good reason” requirement a few years ago, likely because DC didn’t want to be the reason for two consecutive watershed SCOTUS cases about guns. There’s still tons of restrictions on when and where people can carry, though.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

pantslesswithwolves posted:

My city (DC) has more or less completely turned over traffic enforcement to its system of automated speed and red light cameras. You have to hit the winning combination of 1. Seriously loving up 2. loving up directly in front of a cop and 3. The cop seeing it and deciding to pull you over. A year ago I almost got hit while in a crosswalk by a car making an illegal left turn- right in front of two DC cops- and when I threw my hands up in the universal “yo what the gently caress” gesture one of them just shrugged.

I’m still in favor of traffic enforcement being moved away from police, and I understand why no-chase policies exist. I’m more lamenting why there seems to be a societal trend toward so many people thinking they can act like a self-entitled sociopath with impunity.

I sometimes wonder if there isn’t some weird neurological component to COVID that makes people want to start fights, eschew masks and get in people’s faces to spread the virus even more.

I had a whole lot of words typed up, as one of my dogs was run over earlier this year due to a speeding/inattentive driver, it doesn't matter though, because unless it generates revenue, the cops and city aren't gonna do poo poo to fix it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

Worth hitting up incognito mode to read this article - might buy the book on the 26th to read while working the election.

https://twitter.com/scottlincicome/status/1451905579434262528?t=bNx9B3DXTxIyN4EAf3P7Dw&s=19

I'd hesitate to bring it to a polling place, that seems like the sort of thing a maga will file some sort of partisan influence complaints about if your state has rules about that sort of thing.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

It doesn't help that the people doing this seem to often fall in to a specific demographic that enjoys tourism and has strong thoughts on which lives matter. Maybe it's brain issues from COVID maybe they're just using this as another excuse to go rabid over There Rigths

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Midjack posted:

I'd hesitate to bring it to a polling place, that seems like the sort of thing a maga will file some sort of partisan influence complaints about if your state has rules about that sort of thing.

Oh of course, I meant on my phone so it's not obvious. Gotta be safe because these ads are the type that actually make those people donate money:

https://twitter.com/JGamblin/status/1451267156398723083?t=EHpvhtIsXbztqoT48H04xA&s=19

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Finally web developers will be held accountable for their crimes

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

It's encouraged in our culture

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

A large part of it has to do with the issue of cops pulling back and not being as proactive as they were. They do this because they are either ordered to become of Covid, or were ordered to for any reason, but also because they're butt hurt over people hating them now so they think "what's the point in being proactive if I'm just going to open myself up to lawsuits or jail." Also many cities have passed laws that explicitly state that cops can not pull people over for minor traffic violations. So it's a combination of all of that that leads to a huge decrease of traffic stops in some areas.

In some areas there are now explicit orders that cops cannot pursue a vehicle either at all, or unless it is a murder or rape suspect. So rear end in a top hat criminals just speed away and get away with driving like a lunatic, because the cities passed those laws.

Cops arent proactive lmao

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Cops arent proactive lmao

They are when it comes to minorities and the homeless!

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
ONLY TRUST YOUR FISTS

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

TheWeedNumber posted:

ONLY TRUST YOUR FISTS
My fists are going to do fuckall when some rear end in a top hat in a truck either negligently or deliberately endanger my life. Only a fundamental shift in our transportation infrastructure, an elimination of the sociopathy in our driving culture, and meaningful and evenhanded deterrence mechanisms can rein in the boom in automotive homicides.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

A large part of it has to do with the issue of cops pulling back and not being as proactive as they were. They do this because they are either ordered to become of Covid, or were ordered to for any reason, but also because they're butt hurt over people hating them now so they think "what's the point in being proactive if I'm just going to open myself up to lawsuits or jail." Also many cities have passed laws that explicitly state that cops can not pull people over for minor traffic violations. So it's a combination of all of that that leads to a huge decrease of traffic stops in some areas.

In some areas there are now explicit orders that cops cannot pursue a vehicle either at all, or unless it is a murder or rape suspect. So rear end in a top hat criminals just speed away and get away with driving like a lunatic, because the cities passed those laws.

Why invoke rapists? Cops themselves are rapists or basically never actually investigate or solve reported sex crimes. It's the shittiest argument to invoke in favor of policing.

gently caress off with that bullshit whataboutism.

gently caress off and deep throat boots somewhere else.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Why invoke rapists? Cops themselves are rapists or basically never actually investigate or solve reported sex crimes. It's the shittiest argument to invoke in favor of policing.

Actually, I'd really prefer it if you'd take your hair-trigger explosive rages someplace else. I really don't need your particular brand of nastiness.

And I realise this is a difficult concept, but I have no doubt that not all police have personally raped someone, so don't go making up some bullshit to justify yourself.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

My fists are going to do fuckall when some rear end in a top hat in a truck either negligently or deliberately endanger my life. Only a fundamental shift in our transportation infrastructure, an elimination of the sociopathy in our driving culture, and meaningful and evenhanded deterrence mechanisms can rein in the boom in automotive homicides.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/10/end-police-violence-get-rid-traffic-cop/620378/

This is a pretty good article about how automobile manufacturer lobbies successfully managed to convince the country that "streets are for cars," which is obviously something that remains deeply internalized to this day. Kind of bittersweet to see Slow Streets mentioned here: DC half-assedly tried that by putting up some chicane-like barricades up to get cars to slow down and people kept crashing into them, which I think is a pretty good metaphor for the entire problem.

bengy81 posted:

I had a whole lot of words typed up, as one of my dogs was run over earlier this year due to a speeding/inattentive driver, it doesn't matter though, because unless it generates revenue, the cops and city aren't gonna do poo poo to fix it.

I have absolutely no words for this. I'm so sorry that happened to you and your dog.

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Who died and made you mod?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

wrong thread

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Actually, I'd really prefer it if you'd take your hair-trigger explosive rages someplace else. I really don't need your particular brand of nastiness.

And I realise this is a difficult concept, but I have no doubt that not all police have personally raped someone, so don't go making up some bullshit to justify yourself.

gently caress you

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

no u

like dude seriously you're having a poo poo your pants meltdown in GiP like every week and we're all sick of it

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 23, 2021

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

anytime u want :wink:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
You're embarrassing.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Please move on.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That dude is so consistently an rear end in a top hat to people here that probating him the 90th time he gets particularly egregious about it and telling people to stop mentioning it is probably not the way to go

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Fallom posted:

That dude is so consistently an rear end in a top hat to people here that probating him the 90th time he gets particularly egregious about it and telling people to stop mentioning it is probably not the way to go

It's sad because he has a pro user name

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Flikken posted:

It's sad because he has a pro user name

That name tape name change thread was great.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I'll break it up with a friendly competition.

https://twitter.com/patriottakes/status/1450281043328585729?t=CPob0IFtY1zQ3sd_m_bTyA&s=19

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Pope?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
are they missing Jews on that list somehow?

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Like I remember when it was mainly LGB but it always seemed to me like T and Q got added on around the same time? Seeing just LGBT is weird to me but maybe that picture is just old or maybe the Qs get in?

Edit: I misread read it, it says LGBT supporter. Does being LGBT in and of itself constitute support? Am I reading too much into this?

Cenen fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 23, 2021

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

This is outrageous, how am I supposed to enjoy heaven if I can't hang out with my main man Urban VII?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

11:( i feel like i could do better if i drank more

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bisexual Hindu film buffs get no points.

This game is rigged.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Bisexual is on there though so definitely some points.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I know that the standard joke is that bisexuals are invisible, but I looked over that list and still don’t see it.

Bisexuals are not homosexuals, and they aren’t all LGBT supporters. Sadly, many bisexuals are willing to throw the “T” under the bus.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Imagine being one of the two people alive who have held or currently hold the title of Pope and seeing that sign. I would think they would take it as quite the personal attack!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I need to see their "contentious woman" definition

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

I need to see their "contentious woman" definition

“Has and possibly voices opinions”

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011

Platystemon posted:

I know that the standard joke is that bisexuals are invisible, but I looked over that list and still don’t see it.

Bisexuals are not homosexuals, and they aren’t all LGBT supporters. Sadly, many bisexuals are willing to throw the “T” under the bus.

Now I’m doubly confused on my other post asking if being LGBTQ+ in an of itself constitutes support.

Maybe it’s all just memetic warfare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Are all these descriptors OR'd together, or AND'd together? If AND'd, only Trump and a few other slimebags could be this described.