Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Laterite posted:

oh and they clearly caught momoa in between training cycles or something, dude looked bloated as hell in some of his later scenes

his facial hair does a lot of heavy lifting
edit: cat tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Mirello posted:

it was awesome. I think if you didnt like it youre probably a little baby who doesnt like anything. finally an epic that isnt a star wars or marvel trash. over 2 hour movie that felt short. wife and I loved it. perfect, no, but about as good as it could be. loved the design of pretty much everything, which I was surprised by because it didnt pop to me in the pictures, but everything worked really well in motion. I just wish the dumbasses at the studio let them film the next one so we could watch it soon rather than in like 3 years.

agreed but he shouldve been allowed to film 3 at once. or even 4. gently caress it. also it should've been 3 hours so they didnt have to cut some poo poo from the book.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
yeah, i don't want to wait for years for the next one, they need to get started on that yesterday.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

the only thing that I thought was actually good about the Dune remake was the sense of scale. nobody really properly embraces the size implied by many science fiction books and just go with things that are intuitively familiar to a modern audience. while I think the brutalist austerity of the capital on Arrakis was meh, the spaceship designs and giant fascist armies were absolutely awesome and made all the lovely quippy dialogue and tedious personal-feelings exposition much more tolerable.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

i'm thinking of wearing a cape fulltime while outdoors til oct 31. what does everyone think would look the coolest?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

https://twitter.com/carlofastora/status/1451705024229396488

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Slider posted:

i'm thinking of wearing a cape fulltime while outdoors til oct 31. what does everyone think would look the coolest?

I worked with a guy who wears a cloak all the time. you just have to own it.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Slider posted:

don't think it matters just so long as you pair it with a Dracula medallion.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

as someone who never read dune and never saw lynch’s version (only feature of his i haven’t seen) i enjoyed DUNC and would see part 2. i like villenueve’s aesthetic and i had enough background on the story thru cultural osmosis to follow along alright. it really is about jihad isn’t it — mentions of a cleansing/purifying holy war?

funniest part tho was when paul’s describing one of his visions and how the fremen or imperium is chanting his name…… “paul, paul, paul”………… the mf mahdi is named paul lol

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

as someone who never read dune and never saw lynch’s version (only feature of his i haven’t seen) i enjoyed DUNC and would see part 2. i like villenueve’s aesthetic and i had enough background on the story thru cultural osmosis to follow along alright. it really is about jihad isn’t it — mentions of a cleansing/purifying holy war?

funniest part tho was when paul’s describing one of his visions and how the fremen or imperium is chanting his name…… “paul, paul, paul”………… the mf mahdi is named paul lol

yes, and several different jihads, both in terms of events and more metaphorical/philosophical struggles

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah I read some background before watching it and was confused by the use of advanced technology, iunno what it's like in the book but I thought they were kinda neo-luddites in ways

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i say swears online posted:

yeah I read some background before watching it and was confused by the use of advanced technology, iunno what it's like in the book but I thought they were kinda neo-luddites in ways

iirc that is only with regards to artificial intelligence - the swords and stuff are because of the way shielding works (though I think they still use lasers in the books), and the rest of the austerity and ostensible luddism is because the feudal ruling class maintains a strict monopoly of force by possessing most of the advanced technology that would improve day-to-day life if applied differently

anyway, what I really think deserves an adaptation is Jodorowsky's the Incal, which is colorful, cynical, weird and imo a much more plausible and interesting way to depict the decadent excess of the aristocracy, but in space

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
AIs and robots are outlawed after the Butlerian Jihad and replaced by literal human computers, mentats. DUNC doesnt go into it very much, but the green uniformed white bearded guy is one.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

a Loving Dog posted:

agreed but he shouldve been allowed to film 3 at once. or even 4. gently caress it. also it should've been 3 hours so they didnt have to cut some poo poo from the book.

maybe the first time I've ever watched an over 2 hour movie and thought "i wish this was longer" I might actually watch the directors cut lol

Frog Act posted:

the only thing that I thought was actually good about the Dune remake was the sense of scale. nobody really properly embraces the size implied by many science fiction books and just go with things that are intuitively familiar to a modern audience. while I think the brutalist austerity of the capital on Arrakis was meh, the spaceship designs and giant fascist armies were absolutely awesome and made all the lovely quippy dialogue and tedious personal-feelings exposition much more tolerable.

as someone who hates quips, I dont remember any at all. maybe from duncan? but thats because hes a bro.

my biggest complaint is zendaya sucks. she's a poo poo actress. dont really get why shes so popular with the kids. tim's acting was kinda awkward but I thought it worked because he's awkward as a character. I also thought he sold the reaction to whats going on pretty well. great movie.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
zendaya has tomboy voice, its hosed up

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

what if elizabeth holmes was a desert princess tho

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Dune movie is as good if not better than any movie that will ever get made these days. I think people don't realize that the scope of the movie legitimately only covers less than half of the first book.

everyone knows this, it still isn’t great and lol if you think this is the peak of cinema going forward

Horizon Burning posted:

i'd love maybe 15-20 minutes to flesh out some stuff and ease up on how sudden some of the editing is.

this would make the movie interminable. it’s long enough as it is, they needed to be way less precious with cuts to include anything else

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Mirello posted:

my biggest complaint is zendaya sucks. she's a poo poo actress. dont really get why shes so popular with the kids.

they think she’s hot OP

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
she's a child

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Judakel posted:

she's a child

as are the kids who find her attractive

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
zendaya, WHO IS TWELVE,

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

She's 25, it's not even pedo for me to like her

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
she has dude voice

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Judakel posted:

she has dune voice

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

indigi posted:

lol if you think this is the peak of cinema going forward

oh I just think civilization is in decline

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

two and a half hours of big cg cubes and cylinders without any music, famous actors doing pretend politics playing as themselves, and no ending to try to get people to beg online for a second part. it's never been more obvious that modern movies exist not to entertain or tell any story but to waste as much time as possible to keep the viewer occupied and up those engagement metrics.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
the design choices are lackluster

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

two and a half hours of big cg cubes and cylinders without any music, famous actors doing pretend politics playing as themselves, and no ending to try to get people to beg online for a second part. it's never been more obvious that modern movies exist not to entertain or tell any story but to waste as much time as possible to keep the viewer occupied and up those engagement metrics.

ngl that sounds dope i gotta watch dune and now i can

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/screenrant/status/1451973756298072064

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
the eternals makes me sad. the whole thing is so depressing

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

i am sorry but i am a makkaria slut

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the sweaty desperation in the Eternals marketing/PR push is interesting, they must have already started production on like three sequels

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

what's the MCU bodycount
https://twitter.com/redrawnoxen/status/1451782094045261826?s=20

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Judakel posted:

she has dude voice

so does dr mrs the monarch but

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

wtf how was this not a huge news story at the time

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/JeffreyAWinter1/status/1451645920399998983

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Some Guy TT posted:

wtf how was this not a huge news story at the time

why wont the disney owned local affiliate news stations report on unsafe work conditions at the disney film moviesets

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

Lmao

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

i like the new dune movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

About time you filthy americans join the rest of th civilized world in watching Dunc.
Saw it a month ago in Imax, it was great

Also saw the last duel. It too, was good.