Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Dawgstar posted:

People lost their minds over Dead Fantasy. Except me. If you use FFX-2 and have Yuna and Rikku then you by God also need to use Paine. I don't make these rules. God did.

I remember the great battle between Samus and Masterchief... the golden age of the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
What I’m gathering is there’s a demographic of perpetual 13 year olds who are salivating for a Super Mario Bros Z revival.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Alaois posted:

i had a harvey birdman looking at his desk calendar moment a few months ago when that Madness game came out on Steam

The Madness Combat series is still going lmao. Part 11 was released ~2 years ago and he's still working on the next one. I think the next part could be the last but that's what I thought about part 10 and then at the end of that one the evil zombie clown chaos god absorbed everyone.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

RWBY always felt like its own fanfiction, which is why I never got the appeal. Cartoons need directors, writers, animators, and producers to function, but never nerds.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DeafNote posted:

I remember the great battle between Samus and Masterchief... the golden age of the internet.

And as a prelude of people being Very Mad about such things, some folks were quite salty that this Master Chief was a woman.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

RWBY always felt like its own fanfiction, which is why I never got the appeal. Cartoons need directors, writers, animators, and producers to function, but never nerds.

It does get especially bad as later seasons go on, with plots becoming increasingly incoherent. Also of note is the dialogue is super bad. I don't even want to crap on the voice actors too much but almost all of the main cast were amateurs and it shows*, like they decided Ruby was going to be this have this really high-pitched attempt at cute voice so now she's got to deliver some really bad lines in what feels like a couple of octaves above her actress' normal range.

*Aside from some Funimation regulars and also Vic Mignogna who is nobody's regular now ha ha.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Nerds can actually be very useful to creative endeavors, you just need all those other jobs around to say no sometimes or smack some sense into them when they totally derail into stupidity.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Dawgstar posted:

It does get especially bad as later seasons go on, with plots becoming increasingly incoherent. Also of note is the dialogue is super bad. I don't even want to crap on the voice actors too much but almost all of the main cast were amateurs and it shows*, like they decided Ruby was going to be this have this really high-pitched attempt at cute voice so now she's got to deliver some really bad lines in what feels like a couple of octaves above her actress' normal range.

I like books : )

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

:yeah:

Like what Hbomb said in his RWBY vid, there's alot you can learn from RWBY. Like RWBY is what happens when you get people who are *just* nerds who think anime is cool, but have no idea *why* anime is cool or why it works, to make a show.

I, like alot of fuckin weebs, have this pipe dream of making my own anime someday, and it turning out to be some embarrassing RWBY-esqe disaster is my greatest fear lol

Also, I'm looking forward to part 2 of Hbombs RWBY vid, whenever that'll be.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SteelMentor posted:

I like books : )

Print is dead.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

*Aside from some Funimation regulars and also Vic Mignogna who is nobody's regular now ha ha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEJ1_1N7F0Q

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Jamie Faith posted:

Also, I'm looking forward to part 2 of Hbombs RWBY vid, whenever that'll be.

Probably sometime after the Night in the Woods video. :v:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Lotus Aura posted:

Probably sometime after the Night in the Woods video. :v:

still waiting for that pathologic 2 video

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Can't wait for the Beyblade video

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Prequel video when?

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
rwby is proof that people will watch anything with a heart full of sincerity

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbbH77rYaa8
Another great Technology Connections video came out today!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

KingKalamari posted:

I think there's probably also a similar sort of psychology at play as what you see from hardcore audiophiles: Beyond a certain point the improvements in quality stop making any sort of appreciable difference and it becomes more a matter of the quality improvements being a "project" for someone to keep themselves busy with.

Also, probably an unpopular opinion, but having only encountered Monty Oum's work through hBomberguy's RWBY video I have to admit to not really understanding why his work is so highly regarded? With his tragic passing I obviously don't want to speak ill of the dead or anything, and I don't think his work was bad, it's just I feel like his fight choreography was very early-2000s in a way that doesn't really speak to me, the CGI he worked in is at a point where it really shows its age from a technical perspective and the stories people have had about working with him paint a baffling picture of his approach to animation...

Monty's Animations are just very well scripted anime fight scenes with 10 million punches everyone shrugs off. You've got an answer to your own dilemma there when you say it's of a very specific period and also doesn't click with you. Like, I'm not terribly attached to any of it either, but that was the hook leading into RWBY. Watching some over-the-top anime fights that manage to look good even when everything else in the writing, production, and voice acting was breathtakingly amateur.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

for all its major flaws i think RWBY has pretty solid character design and feel like that's been carrying what fanbase it has

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

CYBEReris posted:

for all its major flaws i think RWBY has pretty solid character design and feel like that's been carrying what fanbase it has

It doesn't have solid character design, it has generic character design which lets people create their uninspired OCs.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

It doesn't have solid character design, it has generic character design which lets people create their uninspired OCs.

the designs communicate the characters' personalities very effectively in a way where you don't need to know them to get a vibe. i feel the same way about homestuck even though i'd never parse through those thousands of pages of obnoxious chatlogs

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

CYBEReris posted:

It has cool weapon designs, which fair enough, is an integral part of making good anime fights. The character designs themselves.... I guess it depends on how much you like the "What if we took these characters from stories.... and made them anime!!!" ethos that also drives Fate/stay night.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

i dont care for rwby in the slightest but a scythe that turns into a gun is still cool y'know

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I wonder if them being broad stereotypes helps the hardcore fans who get into shipping because then it's easier to spin a relationship out of a two second glance (which honestly is all Blake and Yang had for a while).*

*"I'm not protecting her-" "-and I'm not protecting her-" "-we're protecting each other!" is some top tier hilarious bad dialogue.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3vYbF3_TAk

Simplest explanation for RWBY before you get into the child groomers at Rooster Teeth and the weebs writing self insert OCs to gently caress their waifus.

Make sure you do your homework and watch a bunch of Cowboy Bebop so you know why the corgi in RWBY is called Zwei its a deep cut you might not get it otherwise.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 24, 2021

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I've literally never seen a rwby OC and only heard of fans really disliking RT waffling around doing anything with the characters or having them actually hang out, so uh

e: also really weird to put "making fanart" in the same breath as sexual abuse

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

RWBY has its problems but the hatedom around it is really weird considering the show is inoffensively mediocre.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

lunar detritus posted:

RWBY has its problems but the hatedom around it is really weird considering the show is inoffensively mediocre.

Jts the anger that the mediocrity of RWBY is rewarded with being a smash hit web series thanks to the clput RT built up thanks to Red Vs Blue and the anger of several people mad that their own lovely ideas didn't get backing and worldwide acclaim and cameos in fighting games and official manga releases.

The age old cry of the piased off weeb that someone else succeeded while their obvious genius and superiority is ignored.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Motto posted:

I've literally never seen a rwby OC and only heard of fans really disliking RT waffling around doing anything with the characters or having them actually hang out, so uh

There's an unofficial guide from Monty Oum about how to make an OC team. I don't know how often it gets used outside of RP communities, since the mainstream draw of RWBY has just been shipping Blake and Yang together.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I think it's funny that despite being on the same team together Ruby and Blake have said like a half dozen words to each other over the seasons.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

I wonder if them being broad stereotypes helps the hardcore fans who get into shipping because then it's easier to spin a relationship out of a two second glance (which honestly is all Blake and Yang had for a while).*

*"I'm not protecting her-" "-and I'm not protecting her-" "-we're protecting each other!" is some top tier hilarious bad dialogue.

Shipping is just a kid slamming Herobrine and Hulk action figures together but romance instead of action anyway. Doesn't really matter if they don't interact before, that's the appeal. You can fill in the blanks with whatever you want to be there.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
Oh, since Lindsay came out with that Love Never Dies video I thought I'd mention Dominic Noble did a three part series on Phantom and its various permutations a year or two back that I remember being worth the watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbR4fJ_e_vw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmT6ikcffOo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRKgGw0Yf7w

I almost wasn't going to bring them up since I assumed it's old news but then I realized, dude's only got like 300k subscribers compared to Lindsay's near 2 million so :shrug: there's a chance people reading this thread missed out on those

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Motto posted:

My only knowledge of RWBY comes from watching hbomberguy's video on it, but I think 'self insert OCs' here refers to when they added in two characters voiced by two of the producers who got shoe-horned romances with two of the popular female characters.

Obviously that's not as bad as sexual abuse, but it definitely feels skeevier than just fans drawing pictures.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

nine-gear crow posted:

Also the person in question was responsible for writing all the dialog for Tali in Mass Effect, The Gamers™-approved #1 Space Waifu. Nothing is safe from them if you wrongthink about Star Wars too publicly.

anyway shodan is the real space waifu

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
I'd never even heard of this RWBY thing until now.

It's like anime, except even more perplexing mediocre.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Anyone else watching David Seymour videos think it is odd that he's stopped doing outros? He just kind of cuts to credits when he's done with the final segment now.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

(Apologies if I missed this already being posted)

Tom Nicholas did a really good critique of Veritasium’s terrible video that is just straight up Waymo propaganda, and touches on the bigger issue of all the YouTube science educators who gladly just become mouthpieces for other interests.

https://youtu.be/CM0aohBfUTc

I was a bit bummed out that he didn’t also call out the fact that Waymo’s serious accident rate is not actually better than human drivers.

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 24, 2021

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

r’wubby

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Samovar posted:

I'd never even heard of this RWBY thing until now.

It's like anime, except even more perplexing mediocre.

hbomberguy made a stupidly long video about it awhile back and it was my first time hearing about it.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Tom Nicholas did a really good critique of Veritasium’s terrible video today is just straight up Waymo propaganda, and touches on the bigger issue of all the YouTube science educators who gladly just become mouthpieces for other interests.

I enjoy how all the big tech YouTubers seem to be Musk morons. Can't remember the guy's name but he's one of the biggest and he was hyping up the embarrassingly stupid Tesla bot poo poo.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day
I am tired of waiting for the new Tim Rogers video, but I will continue to do so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

Zetsubou-san posted:

anyway shodan is the real space waifu

Genocidal space mommy sorry space mommy sorry space mommy sorry